Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st March 2013, 22:28   #46
Senior - BHPian
Post Re: Chevrolet's losses at Rs. 1598 crores in India

Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Do you think Maruti has the know-how to produce a 1L diesel engine? And do you think GM or Fiat will sell them one?
Quoting from cardekho

"The company wishes to build a 1-liter three cylinder diesel engine as soon as possible that can power the Alto and Wagon R. Maruti has another way to power these cars with diesel engines which is the sourcing of 1-liter XDSE Smartech Engine from General Motors India.
Developed at the companyís Bangalore Powertrain facility, this Smartech engine is not very different from Fiatís MultiJet engine as it is build on the same principles but with one less cylinder. The smartech engine is currently powering the Chevrolet Beat diesel and is well suited to power Maruti Wagon R, this way MSI would be saved from building a smaller diesel engine right from the beginning."

This is old news, but Maruti indeed has plans for a 1 L diesel engine. The one aspect that could affect that plan is government's vision on Diesel subsidee .
amalji is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 22:37   #47
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Chevrolet's losses at Rs. 1598 crores in India

GM will be digging its grave if it does sell that 1 liter diesel engine to Maruti. I am sure better sense will prevail over them.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 22:43   #48

If GM thinktank 'thinks' hard enough, they will import a series of butch SUVs from the US of A and sell it here, ofcourse replacing the gas guzzling V8 with a 4 cylinder turbocharged diesel and watch the cars fly off showrooms.
If they keep importing cheap Wulings from China, they will see a 3000 crores loss sooner or later.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:59   #49
Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Originally Posted by amalji View Post
1) I believe the Beat Diesel runs on 1 L FIAT MJD. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

2) By choosing 1L instead of 1.3L, they have created a new market segment. It's always easier for a non market leader to create a new segment than to be the best among a highly competitive segment. Many of my friends who go for Beat diesel are people who start with the plan of buying a Petrol hatch. Since, beat is priced close to Petrol hatches, and still gives amazing fuel efficiency on Diesel, people go for it. The beat should continue to have a market on its own till Maruti plonks this 1L engine on its smaller cars.

3) If at all, they plan to use 1.3L MJD, it should be on a bigger car. Beat is too small and that will hurt them badly since, they already are not known to have brand value.

Regarding their other cars, the Cruze is fantastic.
And Optra was superb value for money. But, for some reason, it never kicked off. We in India, need some gimmicks for the car to sell.
The Tavera doesn't have a worthy competitor after Qualis was stopped. But, they are still not using that opportunity to come up with a more aggressive design.
Hi mate...u are 100% right. I am also one of the owners of chevy. I will anyday pick up GM/Chevrolet over maruti, only if i close my eyes towards their service and cost of spares. In fact i like their Aveo sedan more than honda city/dzire/sx4 or even verna. But with the very saddistic approach towards service, it will land them up no-where. Just have a look at the extra headlamps supplied by them. That also is made in Detroit. This will definitely raise the cost of ownership and service in long term. In India we buy a car for 6-7-8-9-10 years and no less.

Have a look at the TATA's, till the time there was no diesel option available in the price range, they were doing pretty well, but with toyota and Maruti entering this segment, they have already been thrown from their no 2-3 position. With maruti plonking 1L diesel engine into its best selling cars would definitely be the last nail in the coffin for Beat Diesel. Until unless GM thinks out of the box and does something extra-ordinary. Let them bring the cost of spares down and improve their services. Introduce some modern age designs like that of camaro/corvette etc. It will definitely do wonders. That is definitely the way most of the brands Like LG & Samsung have established themselves in india. Believe me i am now scared to move out of town in my chevy because, i fear that if it breaks down, i will be left stranded with no/little help. If chevrolet can take that fear out of my/our mind/hearts, they will move out of the -ve territory.
su1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 01:44   #50

Just out of curiosity,what is the Indian market now? What does the market need?
For all i know, i see people still happily walking into the showroom and not wanting a demo or any detailed information about the cars and simply booking it. Let me just say Beat is still a bang for the buck so is spark. Cruz for a fact makes me cry at times due to its shear performance!
Team_Godspeed is offline   Reply With Quote