Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 15th June 2014, 21:25   #361
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Honda Mobilio (Brio-based MPV) coming soon? EDIT: pre-launch ad on p29

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I am terribly disappointed with the Mobilio.

4 speed gear box in an era of 6 speed
I think the correct interpretation is, 180 kmph comes in the 4th gear. 5th gear is still there.
Autocar mentions that 100 kmph in the 5th gear comes at 3500 rpm which makes the engine not so relaxed.

I wonder what it takes to make the front seats with adjustable headrest, especially when the other two rows have it.

Fake wood finish on the dash is looks pathetic and if I happens to buy this variant, I may get it painted (with black or something)
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 22:10   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Honda Mobilio (Brio-based MPV) coming soon? EDIT: pre-launch ad on p29

Quote:
They said car has top speed of 180 Km/h, will come with 4 Gears
Quote:
Honda will surely not put a 4 speed on the MUV

The Honda representatives had very little knowledge about the vehicle
Sinharishi

Thanks for the pictures , did you not checked the gear lever ? Mostly number of Gears are clearly marked
Old 15th June 2014, 22:45   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Rear speakers are mounted primarily for the 3rd Row passengers. The rear doors do not sport a grille that hint about any speaker placements. Ideally, should still create a good sound stage for 2nd row passengers too as they are not too far even if one doesn't want to use the 3rd row.

On luggage - Not sure whether it was Honda representatives who wanted to create an impression of a huge boot but look at the fact that with the luggage placed in that manner (below), it is impossible to close the boot door!
Honda Mobilio (Brio-based MPV) coming soon? EDIT: pre-launch ad on p29-wp_000330.jpg

3rd Row comfort - Looking at the way our Bhpian is sitting, I wonder if this can offer decent under thigh support for someone who is 5' as well. Of course, the leg space wont be that great that one could stretch his/he legs all the way forward such that thighs manage to get a bit of support underneath!

Like the Ertiga, this too seems like another flexi 7 seater and with a bigger heart and more power but not a full time 7 seater at all.
Old 15th June 2014, 22:53   #364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Like the Ertiga, this too seems like another flexi 7 seater and with a bigger heart and more power but not a full time 7 seater at all.
Yup, it is exactly that. Honda is not going to even target the full time 7 seaters like Innova and Xylo. This is like Ertiga and Avanza which are popular in Indonesia. The Innova slots in above this.

From what I saw at Auto expo, it's got bit more space for the 3rd row albeit underthigh is less and bit more boot space than Ertiga. Dimensionally it is larger than the Ertiga but smaller than Innova.

Considering the fact that this is a FWD with a small displacement motor, it's safe to say that this is never going to be a full time 7 seater.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 23:01   #365
BHPian

I like this form factor. The return of the station wagon. It is extremely practical. More useful and flexible than a sedan though not as dynamic.

I think this "van/mini muv form factor" is set up to be the next big growth segment.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 23:14   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On luggage - Not sure whether it was Honda representatives who wanted to create an impression of a huge boot but look at the fact that with the luggage placed in that manner (below), it is impossible to close the boot door!

Thank god the representative didn't go one step ahead and close the tailgate to demonstrate it further else it would have been great publicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yup, it is exactly that. Honda is not going to even target the full time 7 seaters like Innova and Xylo. This is like Ertiga and Avanza which are popular in Indonesia. The Innova slots in above this.
If they are not targeting the Innova and Xylo, they what are they up to?

Is all this only to dethrone the Ertiga?

Anurag.
Old 15th June 2014, 23:21   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

If they are not targeting the Innova and Xylo, they what are they up to?

Is all this only to dethrone the Ertiga?

Anurag.
Not only dethrone the Ertiga but put a dent in Innova to a small extent and also steal away some from Duster.

The Innova has many many buyers but there are those who don't need an Innova i.e. they don't want a full time 7 seater that gives low FE and is bulky.

At the same time they don't want compact SUV like Ecosport and Duster cause it can't accommodate 7 people.

Only choice till now was Ertiga but it's now 3 years with not a single update and refresh. It's now falling short even in features. Top end has no bluetooth and no climate control.

The Mobilio should shake that up. Some 185mm ground clearance, 7 seater capability, frugal engine and car like to drive. Very good package won't you say?

Imagine if they bring in 1.5L Petrol with Automatic. An automatic MPV around 10L.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 23:22   #368
BHPian

Guys,

My statement about the top speed and gearing is for the i-vtec. I was amused on what the honda reps told me before getting inside the MUV.

To make it clear,the i-vtec has 5 speed gearbox.

Thanks.
Old 15th June 2014, 23:32   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not only dethrone the Ertiga but put a dent in Innova to a small extent and also steal away some from Duster.

The Innova has many many buyers but there are those who don't need an Innova i.e. they don't want a full time 7 seater that gives low FE and is bulky.

Only choice till now was Ertiga but it's now 3 years with not a single update and refresh. It's now falling short even in features. Top end has no bluetooth and no climate control.

Imagine if they bring in 1.5L Petrol with Automatic. An automatic MPV around 10L.
I agree Viddy.

IIRC the Ertiga and Innova are selling 4-5K units a months (Average) so I feel the Mobilio's entry will hit each of these 2 cars by a 1000 units maximum. Seeing the looks and engines on offer the Mobilio will not be rocking the segment but yes just shake it to reshuffle stuff.

I am only waiting for the Mobilio to launch as Maruti will introduce the face-lift version of the Ertiga with all the missing features that are mentioned by you and as much I know Maruti they will also offer handsome discounts ONLY to attract customers.

Lets wait and watch what happens, 2014-2016 will be very interesting for the Indian automotive segment and we customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
To make it clear,the i-vtec has 5 speed gearbox.
So that means the i-DTEC will get a 5-speed gearbox.

Thanks

Anurag.
Old 15th June 2014, 23:57   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

At the same time they don't want compact SUV like Ecosport and Duster cause it can't accommodate 7 people.
You are spot on Vidyut. I am one of those customers who need a compact car with good FE 70% of the time for the daily office commute. Any hatch fits the bill. For the balance 30% I need a people mover, which can accommodate 4 adults and 2 kids with their luggage. This 30% of the time space, comfort and convenience are of prime importance, FE be damned. Innova fits this 30% the best. So I can have the combination of the Innova and a hatch or just the Mobilio as Mobilio fits the requirements 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
So that means the i-DTEC will get a 5-speed gearbox.

Thanks

Anurag.
How can you conclude that? The pettrol Mobilio will borrow its engine and transmission from the petrol City whereas the diesel will borrow its engines transmission from the diesel City and not from the diesel Amaze. This I can say because the kerb weight of the Mobilio will be comparable to the City and not the Amaze
Old 16th June 2014, 10:30   #371
BHPian

Quote:
I think its just an illusion created by side view in the snap, when you see from the front I am sure the luggage will fit in the boot properly.

I think Honda will manage to get decent sales from Mobilo. Moreover, I don't think that Mobilio will create any dent in sales of Ertiga or Innova.

When Amaze was launched we all thought it will dent Dzire sales. But as we all know, Dzire is breaking records and was the highest selling car in the month of May. Today Amaze is under fire from Xcent and very soon from Zest while Dzire will continues to be the king in its segment. Similarly Ertiga will continue to sell 4k-5k units per month while Mobilio will create its own buyer segment.

On the other hand, Innova is more of a premium offering in terms of space, comfort and built quality so they will continue to sell 5k units per month.
Old 16th June 2014, 10:32   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed! What I was referring to is the USP that Honda may want to sell this by pitching it against the Ertiga (obviously) by calling it bigger and better including the 3rd row space.
  • The H Badge
  • 1.5L iDTEC with 100 Horses
  • More FE than the DDiS counterpart
  • An almost lag-less performance for a comfortable B2B driving
  • Something more fresh than the Ertiga
  • Split 3rd row as a boon for more practicality

These are good enough reasons for buyers to make a dent into the Ertiga.

Also, I am not sure how many would actually stay away from the Mobilio only because of the Dashboard when there are other attributes which fare better.

If I were to pick an MUV as of today, I am sure I would have been a confused mind with Ertiga and the Mobilio to spoil me. Same will be the case with many potential buyers.

But for me, I have never been bothered much about the age of the design and its rather the fact that if I am getting what I am looking for, I pick that vehicle ascertaining that I wont face issues with service or spares.

Incidentally, I picked my my WagonR in 2006 when the model was getting phased out and after 8 years I still havent had a single instance of spare part availability. The Split & reclining rear seats was a "Feature" for me in this Tallboy that puts many hatches to shame even today.

When it comes to MSIL and Honda, its easy to pick their relatively old models and still be a happy customer after years or ownership and lakhs of kilometers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I think its just an illusion created by side view in the snap, when you see from the front I am sure the luggage will fit in the boot properly.
Not really! Its quite evident from the picture on the protruding part and the boot door line. Even Ertiga's Brochure (and website) advertises keeping 2 such luggage but in reality its not the fact.

I agree that the boot of the Mobilio is definitely bigger but what is show here is something I would digest once I see in flesh.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th June 2014 at 10:51.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 10:37   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

How can you conclude that? The pettrol Mobilio will borrow its engine and transmission from the petrol City whereas the diesel will borrow its engines transmission from the diesel City and not from the diesel Amaze. This I can say because the kerb weight of the Mobilio will be comparable to the City and not the Amaze
I still feel that Mobilio will have pnly 5 gears and will purely borrow the Amaze transmission. The reason I feel so is because in case they go for the City Gear Box, the City will immediately take a hit on the sales. City is Honda's golden feather in the cap, so Honda would like to maintain the exclusivity and wow factor of the Honda City.
Old 16th June 2014, 11:12   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed! What I was referring to is the USP that Honda may want to sell this by pitching it against the Ertiga (obviously) by calling it bigger and better including the 3rd row space.
  • The H Badge
  • 1.5L iDTEC with 100 Horses
  • More FE than the DDiS counterpart
  • An almost lag-less performance for a comfortable B2B driving
  • Something more fresh than the Ertiga
  • Split 3rd row as a boon for more practicality
These are good enough reasons for buyers to make a dent into the Ertiga.
You have perfectly articulated the advantages of Mobilio over the Ertiga

Quote:
If I were to pick an MUV as of today, I am sure I would have been a confused mind with Ertiga and the Mobilio to spoil me. Same will be the case with many potential buyers.
I am exactly in that state. Add to the equation a used Innova, V, 7-seater, 3 year old getting for 8.5 lacs and you can imagine my level of confusion. I was never so spoilt for choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
I still feel that Mobilio will have pnly 5 gears and will purely borrow the Amaze transmission. The reason I feel so is because in case they go for the City Gear Box, the City will immediately take a hit on the sales. City is Honda's golden feather in the cap, so Honda would like to maintain the exclusivity and wow factor of the Honda City.
I appreciate your thought process, however I have a different point of view. The Mobilio is essentially a family tourer. The customer in this segment is looking for cruisability of the car for long distances (I know of many Innova owners on this very forum who have rued the absence of sixth gear). A customer looking for a station-wagon or MUV, will never go for the City or a similar sedan. He will go for the Mobilio over the well established Ertiga only if he sees some distinct advantages. Honda won't mind a customer going for the Mobilio instead of the City, so long as he is purchasing any Honda car. I agree that the Mobilio is based on the Amaze platform, but then the kerb weight, wheelbase of the Mobilio are closer to the City than the Amaze. Putting the Amaze power train in the Mobilio makes more sense commercially, but technically the City's power train suits the most for the Mobilio.

In a months time, this highly guarded secret of Mobilio will be as clear as broad daylight. Till then we can keep on debating.
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 13:39   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
You have perfectly articulated the advantages of Mobilio over the Ertiga

I am exactly in that state. Add to the equation a used Innova, V, 7-seater, 3 year old getting for 8.5 lacs and you can imagine my level of confusion. I was never so spoilt for choices.

I appreciate your thought process, however I have a different point of view. The Mobilio is essentially a family tourer. The customer in this segment is looking for cruisability of the car for long distances (I know of many Innova owners on this very forum who have rued the absence of sixth gear). A customer looking for a station-wagon or MUV, will never go for the City or a similar sedan. He will go for the Mobilio over the well established Ertiga only if he sees some distinct advantages. Honda won't mind a customer going for the Mobilio instead of the City, so long as he is purchasing any Honda car. I agree that the Mobilio is based on the Amaze platform, but then the kerb weight, wheelbase of the Mobilio are closer to the City than the Amaze. Putting the Amaze power train in the Mobilio makes more sense commercially, but technically the City's power train suits the most for the Mobilio.

In a months time, this highly guarded secret of Mobilio will be as clear as broad daylight. Till then we can keep on debating.

8.5 for V Diesel ? Its a very good price for the car.

You are 100% true. Even I'm waiting for this secret to be out. So that I can buy a vehicle ASAP. I'm using an old old Santro of my friend these days to commute and I must say, I do not like it at all.

Last edited by harpreetsubhi : 16th June 2014 at 13:40. Reason: HTML formatting
Closed Thread