Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 13th July 2014, 22:34   #571
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Mobilio (Brio-based MPV) coming soon? EDIT: pre-launch ad on p29

Today went to mantri mall to see Mobilio! Here are our observations, mostly compared against Ertiga

1. Its really small compared to ertiga! Ertiga offers more width and height and is more roomier than Mobilio
2. The height difference between ertiga and mobilio is about 80mm (1685mm vs 1603). The lower height gives mobilio a more planted feeling, but not sure how it will translate to handling and cornering.
3. Integrated headrest is quite ugly!
4. Back and middle bench are too thin. I don't think it is going to be comfortable for long drives.
5. There is no significant difference in third row space comapred to Ertiga
6. Ingress/egress is not as good as Ertiga.
7. Enough discussions happened about dash, so no comments.

Plus
1. Better engine and fuel efficiency
2. Better exterior styling

My view:
1. This can't be a honda car! It has no characteristics of a Honda machine.
2. If this is priced higher than Mobilio just for the H brand, it is doomed to fail. I don't see any better value in Mobilio compared to Ertiga
3. As a buyer, I will book Ertiga, even without doing a TD of Mobilio.

Awaiting team-bhp official review...
guruji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 11:02   #572
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Mobilio (Brio-based MPV) coming soon? EDIT: pre-launch ad on p29

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
As far as comparing with the Innova is concerned, the Mobilio will be half the price of the Toyota. I fail to see the comparison.
Exactly this is the reason why it is compared with Innova.

At half the price you get similar or slightly compromised specs + the Honda badge.
Old 14th July 2014, 11:41   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Exactly this is the reason why it is compared with Innova.

At half the price you get similar or slightly compromised specs + the Honda badge.
I don't understand. Could you elaborate?
Old 14th July 2014, 11:42   #574
Senior - BHPian

I have a quite simple (and possibly stupid) question:
Why make an MUV on Brio platform, which is quite small on its own, why not use City platform?
Old 14th July 2014, 11:54   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Why make an MUV on Brio platform, which is quite small on its own, why not use City platform?
One word - cost. An MUV on the City platform would end up costing north or 12 lakhs, making it more of a niche product. In addition, Honda is not a company that believes in having too many car platforms so they tend to maximize the investment when they create a new one as was the case with Brio. It will spawn at least four body styles - hatch, compact sedan, MUV and SUV.
Old 14th July 2014, 12:25   #576
BHPian

Quote:
I think this is the fundamental mistake with Mobilio. There is only so much they can do with Brio platform. To position Mobilio above Ertiga, City platform is a basic necessity.
Old 14th July 2014, 12:40   #577
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.rediff.com/business/slide...20140714.htm#6

was looking at the images, when this struck.. check the image & the comment there.

Name:  Mobilio.jpg
Views: 1842
Size:  110.3 KB

Some nice play with PiP imagery !
Old 14th July 2014, 12:58   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Now your saying long travel so adjustment is not really marginal.
Nope, I was saying that Ertiga has a very long travel for its second row, and had Maruti decided to reduce the travel to just suitable for the second row, third row will seem to be more spacious. Since people are checking the third row by moving the second row all the way back, it seems very tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
My point remains. Innova 3rd row more spacious than mobilio and ertiga whichever way you look at it. With or without adjusting middle row. Mobilio space slightly more than ertiga but 3rd row is lower height so sitting is not very comfy. Boot space in mobilio far better than ertiga.
Completely agree - Innova is the most spacious; Mobilio has a bigger boot compared to Ertiga, and Ertiga has a more comfortable seating position in third row compared to Mobilio.

Quote:
Maruti used its best and costliest hatchback to make the sedan DZire and MUV Ertiga, while Honda used its cheapest hatch to make Amaze and Mobilio!
Old 14th July 2014, 13:21   #579
BHPian

As per NDTV's website, the car will be launched on the 23rd of July, i believe cars are already reaching showrooms here in Mumbai? any clues about this?
Old 14th July 2014, 13:26   #580
BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand. Could you elaborate?
I think it's pretty straight forward, similar utility at almost half the price will attract comparison.

Agree it won't work for taxi segment, but for personal users (who don't require full time 7 seater) it's fair to compare as an alternative to the overpriced Innova.
Old 14th July 2014, 15:29   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
I think it's pretty straight forward, similar utility at almost half the price will attract comparison.

Agree it won't work for taxi segment, but for personal users (who don't require full time 7 seater) it's fair to compare as an alternative to the overpriced Innova.
Well, utility-wise the Amaze and the C-Class are also the same -- 4-seater sedans -- but they appeal to very different ends of the market.

Anyone who can afford the Innova or has it heart set on it, won't be buying the Mobilio. And I seriously doubt Honda is trying to sway/address the Innova buyer, which is why I think the comparison is irrelevant.
Old 14th July 2014, 17:53   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Well, utility-wise the Amaze and the C-Class are also the same -- 4-seater sedans -- but they appeal to very different ends of the market.

Anyone who can afford the Innova or has it heart set on it, won't be buying the Mobilio.
IMO comaring utility of Amaze & C-Class is completely out of context here & obviously these are two very different cars but in case of Mobilio & Innova just one segment separates them apart.

My point is anyone in market for new car tends to make comparison one segment up & down.
And there is no question of comparison, even within same segment, if someone's heart has already made a perticular choice.
Old 14th July 2014, 20:55   #583
BHPian

The Ertiga had different A/C for LDI and VDI/ZDI. Eager to know the air conditioning in Mobilio. Anybody got a chance to try that out?
Old 14th July 2014, 20:56   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The Ertiga had different A/C for LDI and VDI/ZDI. Eager to know the air conditioning in Mobilio. Anybody got a chance to try that out?
Different A/C in the sense?

Is it the arrangement or controls?

Anurag.
Old 14th July 2014, 21:01   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Different A/C in the sense?

Is it the arrangement or controls?
Bud, different since there is no middle row blower in the L version. Hence the related stuff like compressor capacity, and even the condensor capacity can vary to be able to take the extra cooling load.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread