Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th March 2013, 00:01   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Scoop! Mahindra to develop all-new engine family

Quote:
Mahindra is developing an all-new engine family that will power its future range of compact SUVs and passenger cars. It is rumored to be investing around USD 800 million (around Rs 4,300) crore in this project. The new engine family is likely to include three petrol and three diesel engines with capacities ranging from 1.2 to 1.6 litres. Developed on a modular architecture, the base 1.2-litre motors will be three cylinder units, while the higher capacity 1.5 and 1.6-litre engines will have four cylinders. An all-new five and six-speed transmission is also being developed along with a trans-axle to drive the transverse engines.
Source & Full Article: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/336...ne-family.aspx

Edit:: Looks like Mahindra is getting serious about the sub 4m petrol car market too! The development of the 1.2L motors points to it.

Last edited by GTO : 15th March 2013 at 10:57. Reason: Keeping fair usage practices in mind, it is best to include an excerpt + link to full article
swiftnfurious is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 00:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Scoop! Mahindra to develop all-new engine family

It's pleasing to see that a homegrown giant like Mahindra is making all the right moves and achieving success.

I hope they plan to launch something in the ever popular hatchback segment with these new engines. They have gained immense popularity with the XUV, which should definitely help them if and when they launch such a product.

From whatever we have seen from the scoop pictures of the Verito compact sedan, it looks more like a hatchback than a sedan. So, Mahindra could be thinking to test waters in the segment with this product and be ready with a new set of engines, transmissions, etc when the next generation products will be launched.

Last edited by safari_lover : 15th March 2013 at 00:40.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 00:45   #3
BANNED

So do we get the all new shape next generation Bolero with the new engine?

And the current Thar will get the 1.5 ltr engine, or it will get the mHawk?
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 01:01   #4
BHPian

The autocar article says the engine family would likely be 3 petrol and 3 diesel engines. Just out of curiosity - can petrol and diesel engines be of the same family and how much can be shared?
claxtoncorreya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 08:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by claxtoncorreya View Post
The autocar article says the engine family would likely be 3 petrol and 3 diesel engines. Just out of curiosity - can petrol and diesel engines be of the same family and how much can be shared?
Yes they can use the same design blueprint for both but different materials will be used. Also, the valvetrain will be different to accommodate different fuel injection systems.
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 09:22   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! Mahindra to develop all-new engine family

it means the mcr100 engine of quanto will be obsolete after the arrival of new 1.5l diesel engine in 2015?
It means the mcr100 engine was makeshift arrangement to qualify quanto as small car?
Pls guide because i am finalising quanto as my next car and i dont want to get struck with a engine which has no grounds after just 2 years.
Dr.Abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 10:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Yes they can use the same design blueprint for both but different materials will be used. Also, the valvetrain will be different to accommodate different fuel injection systems.
If I recall correctly the first generation Indica used the same blocks on both Petrol and Diesel engines.
Sanjunair5 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 14:54   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
it means the mcr100 engine of quanto will be obsolete after the arrival of new 1.5l diesel engine in 2015?
It means the mcr100 engine was makeshift arrangement to qualify quanto as small car?
Pls guide because i am finalising quanto as my next car and i dont want to get struck with a engine which has no grounds after just 2 years.
I don't think they will ditch it just because they develop another 1.5L engine. It could be that, the new 1.5L may power monocoque chassis vehicles. I believe there is a good investment in developing that engine and Mahindra is NOT stupid enough to waste money like that. But then to back up my thoughts, I have only these logical reasoning.

Also to add the new engine to Quanto and make it fit, they will undergo a lot more investment. Since Quanto is doing at par expectations of the company, they should be continuing with it atleast for the next 3-4 years or till a new gen is ready for the market(s).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th March 2013 at 14:56.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 17:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra's new range of petrol and diesel engines announced :

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-399272.aspx
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote