Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2013, 16:00   #256
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,095
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I disagree Behmoth, no way these cars are the test mules! Maybe pre-production versions and hence not the best of finish and fittings. But don't think they have run anything more than few kms. On the other hand seat etc can be due to the wear and tear at the display events itself. They do leave quite some scars on the vehicle after a week or two.

Comparing 20 lakh car to one that is less than half is not fair, so even though people might crib that interiors are not great for a Yeti, it will be much better off to that of a model which is planning to compete at 2 category lower.

Just my observation.
You are right sir! One of the pics on the first page also shows the Trip meter as 567 km, but it could also be short trip meter instead of life trip meter.
But for a car which has covered so little, it seems way too poor in fit finish, it must be the pre-production protos on display. I doubt that buyers would accept such low levels of fit finish, irrespective of the price of the car. When a 3.5 Lac Eon can give good fit finish, why not a 9 Lac Ecosport!
Anyway, I will reserve my views to till I see the car in reality tomorrow, as pictures can be quite deceptive.
I have been following this car right from the time they first showed in Auto Expo 2012!

Last edited by Behemoth : 21st March 2013 at 16:01.
Behemoth is online now  
Old 21st March 2013, 16:41   #257
BHPian
 
dhanushmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL-2/KL-7/AP-31
Posts: 856
Thanked: 2,339 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post

I have been following this car right from the time they first showed in Auto Expo 2012!
Auto expo 2012!! It has been 15 months and counting. I really don't understand what Ford is gaining by agonising customers for so long. If this much delay was expected, they shouldn't have displayed the vehicle so long ago. On the flip side, if this much delay wasn't anticipated, then terrible planning Ford!!
dhanushmenon is offline  
Old 21st March 2013, 17:09   #258
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 901 Times
Default

Those who laughed off the "echo-sport" pronunciation , here is an official video showing the similar pronunciation by the car's designer himself.
Seems like RJ Mantra wasn't wrong at all!!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st March 2013 at 18:10.
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 17:24   #259
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Ecosport definitively looks good and will work as a city car with good ground clearance. But watching the video, Ford officials keep talking about "open roads", "ready for play". Does this mean a 4 wheel / all wheel drive option might become available down the line here?
claxtoncorreya is offline  
Old 21st March 2013, 17:53   #260
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,081
Thanked: 661 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claxtoncorreya View Post
Ecosport definitively looks good and will work as a city car with good ground clearance. But watching the video, Ford officials keep talking about "open roads", "ready for play". Does this mean a 4 wheel / all wheel drive option might become available down the line here?
It probably doesn't make much sense if its being positioned as urban SUV. Permanent AWD, maybe? 4x4 - do we really need it?

OT : But i don't even want to talk about "down the line" right now. The wait for the car is already testing every ones patience.
Nilesh5417 is offline  
Old 21st March 2013, 21:40   #261
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I disagree Behmoth, no way these cars are the test mules! Maybe pre-production versions and hence not the best of finish and fittings. But don't think they have run anything more than few kms. On the other hand seat etc can be due to the wear and tear at the display events itself. They do leave quite some scars on the vehicle after a week or two.

Comparing 20 lakh car to one that is less than half is not fair, so even though people might crib that interiors are not great for a Yeti, it will be much better off to that of a model which is planning to compete at 2 category lower.

Just my observation.
I tend to agree with you on this. Cars kept for demo/viewing purposes do get abused by the mango people milling around and fiddling with everything possible. Its not just in India, the demo/lottery win cars kept in Dubai duty free (like the McLaren, or RR/Bentleys) have scratches on the body work and extreme swirl marks!!!! People love to touch and feel.

If the manufacturer allows people to sit inside the car, then god save the interiors.

Somehow Ford cars in India tend to have hard/cheap to touch plastics, however they are put together pretty well, this opposed to say a Tata who uses very nice material, however fit and finish seems lacking.
apachelongbow is offline  
Old 21st March 2013, 21:57   #262
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 745
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Chinese seem to like long, spacious cars . Just check this google result and many car makers offer long wheelbase versions for the Chinese market
https://www.google.co.in/#hl=hi&outp...w=1280&bih=648
Thanks Guna, but this just reiterates the point that Chinese get long wheel base cars. My question was "why"? It can't be just because "chinese seem to like it".

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 21st March 2013 at 21:58. Reason: typo
vasanthn21 is offline  
Old 21st March 2013, 22:17   #263
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Thanks Guna, but this just reiterates the point that Chinese get long wheel base cars. My question was "why"? It can't be just because "chinese seem to like it".
"In China, bigger is better. It reflects prestige. In particular, when buying a luxury car, affluent Chinese and officials like to show off their wealth and social status by having a bigger car. For them, a big car indicates luxury and displays their difference from ordinary men in the street. The extended version brings them more psychological satisfaction than any requirement for comfort."

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...t_12789057.htm
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 23:01   #264
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 745
Thanked: 303 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
"In China, bigger is better. It reflects prestige. In particular, when buying a luxury car, affluent Chinese and officials like to show off their wealth and social status by having a bigger car. For them, a big car indicates luxury and displays their difference from ordinary men in the street. The extended version brings them more psychological satisfaction than any requirement for comfort."

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...t_12789057.htm
ok, this logic applies to luxury segment. how does this apply to Ecosport? just tactics to please buyers?
vasanthn21 is offline  
Old 21st March 2013, 23:18   #265
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,438 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
ok, this logic applies to luxury segment. how does this apply to Ecosport? just tactics to please buyers?
Does China get two versions of the Ecosport?? From what I recall they don't have the slabs like India and hence a >4m car and a <4m car has same tax structure.
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 22nd March 2013, 06:21   #266
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,702
Thanked: 3,893 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
ok, this logic applies to luxury segment. how does this apply to Ecosport? just tactics to please buyers?
OT: It's basically catering the market demands, and its not just for the luxury segment. Something similar to how manufacturers cash on by providing booted version of hatchbacks in India (DZire, Vento etc.); just because sedans are considered prestigious here compared to the hatchbacks.
vb-san is offline  
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:38   #267
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 901 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
"In China, bigger is better. It reflects prestige. In particular, when buying a luxury car, affluent Chinese and officials like to show off their wealth and social status by having a bigger car. For them, a big car indicates luxury and displays their difference from ordinary men in the street. The extended version brings them more psychological satisfaction than any requirement for comfort."

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...t_12789057.htm
Correct, I believe that to quite an extent , this is valid even in India. Eg; Fortuner sells like hot cakes but the puny Yeti is a dud. Even when people buy just the 4x2 and use it with less than 5 on board
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post

ok, this logic applies to luxury segment. how does this apply to Ecosport? just tactics to please buyers?
This logic applies to the whole market. Simple(though crude) logic " Bada hai to behtar hai"!! Everybody over there wants a larger car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Does China get two versions of the Ecosport?? From what I recall they don't have the slabs like India and hence a >4m car and a <4m car has same tax structure.
No, they don't get any excise benefits on a sub 4m car. Therefore they are only getting the Long wheelbase of 2530mm. No option of 2521 mm in China.
agambhandari is offline  
Old 22nd March 2013, 09:29   #268
BHPian
 
mikem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Has anyone noticed the Knee Airbag? A first in this segment for Indian Cars!!

If this is on the RHD vehicle, then the TOP end EcoSport comes with 7 airbags not 6.

1 Driver + 1 Driver Knee + 1 Passenger + 4 Side

See the picture below

mikem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:28   #269
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 901 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
Has anyone noticed the Knee Airbag? A first in this segment for Indian Cars!!

If this is on the RHD vehicle, then the TOP end EcoSport comes with 7 airbags not 6.

1 Driver + 1 Driver Knee + 1 Passenger + 4 Side

See the picture below
It would be great to see it in the production version.
But I suppose, it wont actually be there. Had it been really there, Ford would not have stopped talking about it ever and would have talked endlessly about it in the brochure as well!!
agambhandari is offline  
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:06   #270
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 569
Thanked: 754 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
Has anyone noticed the Knee Airbag? A first in this segment for Indian Cars!!

If this is on the RHD vehicle, then the TOP end EcoSport comes with 7 airbags not 6.

1 Driver + 1 Driver Knee + 1 Passenger + 4 Side

See the picture below
had a dhekoo @ their site. Knee Airbag definitely is there in one of the pictures. I think that they are deciding on features based on feedback from the displays and some other sources. Was anybody asked to fill up any forms/feedback etc. at the various malls?
sridhar-v is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCOOP! Ford EcoSport Details Revealed. EDIT : Now, caught testing! Scorcher The International Automotive Scene 39 5th January 2012 00:20
Ford EcoSport Revealed Behemoth The Indian Car Scene 26 4th January 2012 19:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks