Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 22nd March 2013, 12:55   #271
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
There seems to be a hydralic strut in the Chinese version. Is it there in the indian version as well ?
Yes, it is there in the Indian version. If you look closely at the photos in the first page of this thread, you can notice it.
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:38   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Ecosport is being reviewed by Auctocarshow - Watch Bloomberg TV @ 10:30pm tonight!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:47   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Ecosport is being reviewed by Auctocarshow - Watch Bloomberg TV @ 10:30pm tonight!

Cheers!
It was yesterday. Not a review , just checking it out at the Mall.
They were pretty happy with the Interior quality. Infact they said" The leather seats uplift the ambience". I almost laughed at hearing this about the el-cheapo seats on the display car.
The Interior space is good enough by compact SUV standards.
Not what I expected from Autocar India.

Last edited by agambhandari : 22nd March 2013 at 13:50.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:45   #274
Senior - BHPian

I saw the Ford Ecosport in flesh today at Rcity mall Ghatkopar. The variant on display was the top end Titanium Petrol with 1.0 Litre Petrol Ecoboost engine. I took a closer look from all the angles, although looks good on the outside but step inside and you suddenly feel that the interior is not what I expected!! I sat on all the seats and felt it to be a bit cramped for a family of 5(Crossover SUV has the space of a large hatch is the feeling I got).

Compared to its closest rival the Renault Duster the Ecosport I believe is smaller both on the inside and outside. I also find the Duster well built inside out but can't say the same about Ecosport. I must say the orange color(whichever shade) did look good on the Ecosport similar to how coffee brown looks good on the Duster. I dont think most of the buyers in our beloved DIESEL loving country would opt for the Petrol variant. Although auto enthusiasts will prefer the revolutionary Petrol 1.0 litre Ecoboost engine. On enquiring I got to know that initially the car will be available in the 1.0 litre petrol and 1.5 litre diesel engine(I think its the same TDCi engine doing the duty in New Ford Fiesta, Fiesta Classic, Figo, etc.) They were not revealing the prices but I assume it to be somewhere close to the Duster considering the price of the new fiesta(again it's just my guess). According to me the pricing will be the final deciding factor of how far the Ecosport goes about denting Duster's sales.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 17:42   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
There seems to be a hydralic strut in the Chinese version. Is it there in the indian version as well ?
This is a pneumatic strut (Not Hydraulic). yes, it is present in the Indian version as well.
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:35   #276
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Ecosport again today at Ambience mall Gurgaon (after initially seeing at Auto expo 2012). The demo piece in display was the Orange colour one in Titanium variant and most likely a petrol one (did not mention).
For starters, the finish is not really as bad as everyone felt from the pics. There a few raw areas like seat covers and carpeting issues which should get sorted out by the time it is launched.
But, in seeing in person, the Ecosport looks reallu diminuitive in size and appears much smaller than the duster. Interior space is also quite less especially in the rear. The black and grey interiors also add to the feeling of less space. The inside space is not more than a Swift inside, which should have actually been more.
The boot space which people have been saying as enough is not too good and the sharp rake angle of the back seats eats into in completely. It will not be easy to fit more than 2 suitcases into it, which is what a Figo or Fabia can accomodate. Also as the boot space is quite narrow at the top, it will not be able to accomodate a dog in the boot, which a Duster and Yeti do well.
I also found the inside dash way too large and obstructing the forward visibility (similar to the Civic), which is definitely not good for an Suv. In reality the Ecosport is not an Suv at all and is a pumped up hatch with good GC and a tyre on the rear. If Ford price it at least a lac below the duster, it will do well, but if they are in the range of duster prices, it may not do too well.
Overall it is an extremely quirky car and draws extreme love it/ hate it responses. I feel that it may be a hit with the fairer kind and less with the gents!
Behemoth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 22:08   #277
BHPian

Opinions here regarding the interior space and boot appear to be in line with MAS's preview of the Ecosport in Brazil some months ago!
Old 23rd March 2013, 00:40   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
They were not revealing the prices but I assume it to be somewhere close to the Duster considering the price of the new fiesta(again it's just my guess).
Due to Excise duty benefit & smaller size, EcoSport will be priced much less than Duster.
Also, EcoSport will have long list of features, goodies & safety than Duster & that would also be its selling point.

In fact I think Duster & EcoSport will not at all be rivals. Cause their pricing & size both will be in a different band.
Old 23rd March 2013, 21:04   #279
M35
BHPian

Some interior pic of Ecosport EU version:
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 6413
Size:  103.8 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 23787
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 3892
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 4156
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 3868
Size:  39.3 KB

Pic source: www.Netcarshow.com
M35 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 21:21   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
In fact I think Duster & EcoSport will not at all be rivals.
Agree.
I think whoever designed the EcoSport lived in Bangalore for a while

It's sort of an off-road experience every day in Bangalore:
  • ill-designed speed breakers
  • numerous pot-holes and all the mess due to the Metro/flyover construction
  • flooding even when it rains moderately

The EcoSport addresses all these with its 200 mm GC and 550 mm water wading capability.

If you don't want to come to a grinding halt wondering how to cross the speed breaker in front of you, the EcoSport is for you. Parking and maneuverability should be easy with its small foot print.

If you want a true off-roader with lots of space at the rear, then look beyond the EcoSport.
Old 23rd March 2013, 21:45   #281
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
Agree.

If you want a true off-roader with lots of space at the rear, then look beyond the EcoSport.
Why Bangalore alone? Any Indian city apart from Delhi/Hyderabad/Chandigarh is an offroaders dream. Why go outside the city when you can enjoy fulltime offroading on almost every road.

Regarding a offroader and lots of space, they are not mutually connected. A 4x4 jeep doesnt have much interior space. Likewise a XUV/Safari/etc are mild offroaders who have good amount of space inside.

One has to consider EcoSport as an alternate to a hot hatch. Looks good, unique with a SUVish presence, small footprint for running around in the city. It also has to be used like a hatchback. Try and not visualize crisscrossing India or crossing Africa/Sahara in this car. It cant carry travelling gear/living gear for 2 people for a month, who intend to drive across Leh for example. Nither can it be expected to climb the Rajmachi during monsoons.
If people wrongly visualise the EcoSport as buying a version of the Fortuner/Endevour/Xuv/Safari at half the price, then its not the car's fault.

I believe this will turn out to be a very competent alternative to a premium hatch for a young couple.
Old 23rd March 2013, 21:57   #282
ARG
BHPian

Quote:
Agree.

It's sort of an off-road experience every day in Bangalore:
  • ill-designed speed breakers
  • numerous pot-holes and all the mess due to the Metro/flyover construction
  • flooding even when it rains moderately
and the huge cows that come at you, out of nowhere, on Old Airport Road!

I rather think attributing off-road abilities to an Ecosport would be an overkill.
Old 23rd March 2013, 23:10   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Why go outside the city when you can enjoy fulltime offroading on almost every road.
100 % right. Do we really have motorable roads in this country? In percentage terms ( excluding NHs ), less than 5 per cent road legths may qualify to be called good roads. Our inner city roads are like off-road tracks. No need to do any "get-aways". In fact I wonder how people drive their low rider sedans over Huuuuge bumps and through cratered roads. It is these roads that have made me veer towards SUV.
Old 24th March 2013, 08:36   #284
Senior - BHPian

I would call the EcoSport a vehicle for Indian-Roading The fun of off-roading on the road!!
Old 24th March 2013, 09:02   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Agree.
I think whoever designed the EcoSport lived in Bangalore for a while...It's sort of an off-road experience every day in Bangalore:The EcoSport addresses all these...
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Why Bangalore alone? Any Indian city apart from Delhi/Hyderabad/Chandigarh is an offroaders dream. Why go outside the city when you can enjoy fulltime offroading on almost every road...
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I would call the EcoSport a vehicle for Indian-Roading The fun of off-roading on the road!!
That's some very fine humour and perhaps also some very apt marketing slogans for the Ecosport (and other soft-roaders / SUVs). I hope those chaps at Ford are reading all this!
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread