Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 24th March 2013, 14:51   #286
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post

The European EcoSport looks 10000 times better than the display car in the Delhi mall. Ford is definitely trying to kill EcoSport with those el cheapo interiors, Bad legroom,etc. At this price, a Sunny, Swift, Dzire, Rapid or Vento must make the deal. But if they price it well, Indians will surely go gaga over the EcoSport. Legroom is very disappointing. I thought of buying a EcoSport but now I feel that I will never buy it.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Old 24th March 2013, 16:44   #287
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Ford EcoSport First Had View @ R City Mall Mumbai

I went to R City Mall Mumbai and checked out the Ecosport in Person. Penning down my views of the same. I am penning down only those which might not have been discussed in the previous pages.

Positives:
  • Height - as tall as a Santro
  • Length - As long as the duster to the common observer
  • It definetly look SUVish enough to the average buyer.
  • Loaded with Gadgets
  • Spare wheel has 2 convetional nuts and one hexagonal start shaped nut which requires a special key. Yes ONly 3 nuts hold the spare wheel.
  • Ladies will have diffculties in removing the spare wheel.
  • Plenty of Cabin lights. No need for any additional map/reading lights
  • PERFECT for City Driving and Highway runs for a nuclear Family(Husband + wife + 1 kid)
  • Chrome Chrome Chrome everywhere (Subjective)
  • Fit and Finish was on par with Hyundais and Marutis but no where near Toyota / Volkswagens
  • Decent boot space and good for Domestic Airport Runs. International Luggage will NOT fit in the Boot.
  • 5 Alloys. I personally DONT like a 5th Steel Wheel.
  • Buttons and Switches feel like a typical Ford / Mahindra / Tata, It is not as soft as a Toyota or Volkswagen(Subjective)
  • Driver Arm Rest
  • From a long distance, in the Mars Red Color, it looks almost Audi Q3 ish
Negatives:
  • EcoBoost Titanium version did NOT have the stater button. It was the conventional key turn start mechanism.
  • My Sunglass did NOT fit into the sunglass-holder from any angle.
  • Closing the rear hatch door was painful since it was heavy. If the Hydraullic strut fails, the door would open with full force. Need to careful here
  • I personally prefer a powered mechanism to close the hatch-door and would not mind paying extra for the same.
  • Long Gear Throws. I felt my Santro has shorter throws.
  • Huge Bulky Dashboard
  • No Foldable key
  • No Cubby holes on the dashboard
  • No Remote for Music System
  • No Armrest for Co-Passenger Front Seat
  • No Rear center Arm Rest.
  • No Dead Pedal
My Personal Views:
  • Everyone who came there is "wowed" by the car.
  • Almost everyone asked the price and launch date(Answers were tactical)
  • Taxi / Yellow board / Commercial segment will NOT buy this, which is good news for private car buyers. Basic model on road + ~1-1.5 lacs more should get the cabbie an Ertiga/Xylo D2. Ertiga/Xylo makes more sence to a cabbie than EcoSport
  • I will definetly consider EcoSport Titanium for my next car purchase.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 24th March 2013 at 16:53.
scopriobharath is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 17:13   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
The European EcoSport looks 10000 times better than the display car in the Delhi mall. Ford is definitely trying to kill EcoSport with those el cheapo interiors, Bad legroom,etc. At this price, a Sunny, Swift, Dzire, Rapid or Vento must make the deal. But if they price it well, Indians will surely go gaga over the EcoSport. Legroom is very disappointing. I thought of buying a EcoSport but now I feel that I will never buy it.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Kindly dont be so judgmental before having a in-person feel of the car.

The reason why the Euro Ecosport looks better is because it will not be as cheap as the Indian version. The main delay in the launch has been caused because of heavy localisation and this tells to what lengths Ford is going for keeping the price down. Also the Euro Ecosport seems to have better leg room because it doesn't have to comply with the norm of <4m and most probably shares the chassis with its Chinese counterpart.

Also comparing the Ecosport to the Sunny/Vento will be arbitrary as they don't fall in the same bracket both price wise and targeted audience wise.

I do have a felling if the pricing rumors are to be believed then Ford does have a winner in their hands.
Enigmatic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 17:27   #289
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Ford EcoSport First Had View @ R City Mall Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I went to R City Mall Mumbai and checked out the Ecosport in Person. Penning down my views of the same. I am penning down only those which might not have been discussed in the previous pages.[*]Closing the rear hatch door was painful since it was heavy. If the Hydraullic strut fails, the door would open with full force. Need to careful here[*]I personally prefer a powered mechanism to close the hatch-door and would not mind paying extra for the same.[*]Long Gear Throws. I felt my Santro has shorter throws.[*]Huge Bulky Dashboard[*]No Foldable key[*]No Cubby holes on the dashboard[*]No Remote for Music System[*]No Armrest for Co-Passenger Front Seat[*]No Rear center Arm Rest.[*]No Dead Pedal[/list]My Personal Views:[*]I will definetly consider EcoSport Titanium for my next car purchase.[/list]
If you have a tailgate mounted spare, you will always get the 5th alloy if the remaining 4 are.
Tailgate mounted spare wheels are always more difficult to remove and place because you need to lift the wheel chest up, in this case, may be thigh up. Effort for the SUV looks
Huge dashboard, again subjective, some amount of bulk to make the interiors look a butch SUV, also a cab forward/semi cab forward design will make the dashboard bigger
Long gear throws: Is the gear level longer or the shifting position away from your hands? Either case, a shorter shift lever can be easily retrofitted later.
Foldable key.. Not every SUV/car comes with a foldable key. Is it so important?
Pneumatic struts are generally long lasting. However if they fail, then closing the door is not an effort as much as keeping it open, the weight of the spare wheel automatically pushes the hatch closed. Strut is used to hold the door open.
Armrests in the center will make it a four seater strictly, especially in such a small car, dont know why makers ommited a rest for the co driver.

How is the perspective when seated inside the car? Did you feel that you were in a SUV, atleast slightly higher than the rest of the traffic? Were corners easily visible, could you spot the bonnet edges?

Last edited by apachelongbow : 24th March 2013 at 17:30.
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 17:46   #290
Senior - BHPian

Cool Re: Ford EcoSport First Had View @ R City Mall Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Long gear throws: Is the gear level longer or the shifting position away from your hands? Either case, a shorter shift lever can be easily retrofitted later.
Foldable key.. Not every SUV/car comes with a foldable key. Is it so important?
Pneumatic struts are generally long lasting. However if they fail, then closing the door is not an effort as much as keeping it open, the weight of the spare wheel automatically pushes the hatch closed. Strut is used to hold the door open.
Armrests in the center will make it a four seater strictly, especially in such a small car, dont know why makers ommited a rest for the co driver.

How is the perspective when seated inside the car? Did you feel that you were in a SUV, atleast slightly higher than the rest of the traffic? Were corners easily visible, could you spot the bonnet edges?
  • I agree on the logic, but This is india. Anything is possible in the name of "cost cutting"
  • The throw was long and the gear stick was'nt long, even as long as an Innova's
  • Foldable key is not MUST, but when an i10 costing 50% less can give one, why not a ford. Effort must be done to make a prodct as upmarket as possible with these simple features.
  • When i opened the door, beyond say 30 cms, I felt the Strut "pushing" the door open. Strut offers a resistance when closing. The Struts on my Santro lasted 5.5 years / 36,000 kms.
  • Yes - I felt i was in a "mini SUV". Ride-Height is on par with Rio, Duster, Yeti et all. It is NOT like Safari, Scorpios et all.
  • Bonnet edges were not visible due to the bulky dashboard, but i would say 70% of the bonnet was visible.
scopriobharath is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 19:51   #291
BHPian

" Ecosport launch further delayed. Coming June is what frustrated dealers say. Ford wants high localisation & big volume ramp up before launch"
Tweet from Hormazd Sorabjee
KINI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 20:06   #292
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

EcoSport is currently undergoing various tests at iCAT, Manesar, Haryana. So we can expect its launch within a couple of months.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 24th March 2013, 20:50   #293
BHPian

Tweet from autocar :@hormazdsorabjee: Ecosport launch further delayed. Coming June is what frustrated dealers say. Ford wants high localisation & big volume ramp up before launch
Old 24th March 2013, 21:15   #294
BHPian

Quote:
I went to R City Mall Mumbai and checked out the Ecosport in Person. Penning down my views of the same. I am penning down only those which might not have been discussed in the previous pages.....
  • I will definetly consider EcoSport Titanium for my next car purchase.
Thanks your bullet points have been extremely informative and have rested my concerns regarding this vehicle.
If you are accurate then this should be an excellent buy for those living in a city with rubbish roads, a.k.a everyone in India, assuming it's launched at a competitive price point. I hope to get a look myself in the near future.

Last edited by Maky : 24th March 2013 at 21:16.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 21:42   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Thanks your bullet points have been extremely informative and have rested my concerns regarding this vehicle.
If you are accurate then this should be an excellent buy for those living in a city with rubbish roads, a.k.a everyone in India, assuming it's launched at a competitive price point. I hope to get a look myself in the near future.
Yes this car would be a big hit with City Dwellers and it will definitely pull sales from i20, Dzire,Rapid territory. It will be a sure shot hit if priced reasonably

Most of them feel that Scorpio, Safari gives a "Mafia" / "Politician" look. It does not give an executive feel. This EcoSport gives an executive feel. White collared job doers aiming for a sedan will definitely consider EcoSport Over a sedan.
Old 24th March 2013, 22:34   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Tweet from autocar :@hormazdsorabjee: Ecosport launch further delayed. Coming June is what frustrated dealers say. Ford wants high localisation & big volume ramp up before launch
Maybe the delay is better. With higher localization, tight costing and hurry to meet early launch dates, I hope Ford has its QC firmly in place. I would infact avoid the early batches. Many of the early Figos' had same kind of niggles.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 24th March 2013 at 22:42.
Deep Blue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 22:47   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
After the agonising long long wait, I do hope (for Ford's sake) that the Ecosport comes out with zero quality issues, else I shudder to think what will happen to Ford's plans and dreams !!

To me, it looks like Ford did not really focus on the localisation all through last year - and only recently they realised that to get the pricing right, they have to localise aggressively.
Old 25th March 2013, 01:26   #298
BHPian

Quote:
  • Bonnet edges were not visible due to the bulky dashboard, but i would say 70% of the bonnet was visible.
Thats a vital information, i was waiting to know. blame it on scorpio. So how tall you are? do they have height adjustment?
Old 25th March 2013, 08:30   #299
BHPian

Talked to my ford dealer here in Chennai. The ford ecosport model will be on display during the first week of April in express avenue and will be coming to the showrooms by May.
Old 25th March 2013, 08:52   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Talked to my ford dealer here in Chennai. The ford ecosport model will be on display during the first week of April in express avenue and will be coming to the showrooms by May.
Not the first week i guess. Take a look at the following post for city wise dates:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3067745 (Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!)
Closed Thread