Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 25th March 2013, 09:52   #301
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Not the first week i guess.
Well, its what the dealer told me. He was jubiliant when he announced that. But anyway, I really don't have other info regarding this but i can safely assume it should be out by late June/early July.
Old 25th March 2013, 09:55   #302
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

For the ford ecosport one would be lifely to select a lower seating position. In vehicle where one can see the edge of the bonnet like in the Scorpio or Safari one tends to sit as high as one can such that the edges are indeed visible as that helps in parking etc. But when the bonnet edges are not visible one does not gain much by sitting at a height and then on tends to go for the typical sedan like position rather than an upright SUV kind of seating style. This is typically because the sedan like seating postion is generally found to be more relaxing and if one can see half the bonnet it is no use in making a judgement if the edges are not visible so one might as well sit down and relax. Of course initially one does keep on trying to sit up to see as much of the road as possible up ahead but over time one finds a more comfortable position, also the steering tilt is more car like when one is seated down and Truck like when tilted up.
Old 25th March 2013, 11:31   #303
BHPian

We have been waiting for this car to be launched from a really long time. But no clear cut indication of the launch date is forcing us to choose something.

By the way are they taking the same car across India for showcasing? From the way the schedule is aligned, it looks that way.
Old 25th March 2013, 11:40   #304
Senior - BHPian

After looking at the vehicle, I think it is a mini SUV that fits perfectly between Jazz and SX4/Duster. Pricing will be important to determine its position though!
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 12:18   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Tweet from autocar :@hormazdsorabjee: Ecosport launch further delayed. Coming June is what frustrated dealers say. Ford wants high localisation & big volume ramp up before launch
I am sure they are struggling to price the vehicle, while everyone wants a price of a sub 4 mt class, Other factors must be pushing up the cost. Hence, Ford must be working out on high-localization. They already have a very good Fiesta with no takers due to steep pricing.
Old 25th March 2013, 12:28   #306

Default Re: Ford EcoSport First Had View @ R City Mall Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Thats a vital information, i was waiting to know. blame it on scorpio. So how tall you are? do they have height adjustment?
The height adjustment is there and works well. I have a habit of positioning the seat to the highest possible level and that's the first thing I did as soon as I sat on the front seat. I do not remember seeing the bonnet or not, however overall visibility was pretty decent (I am 5 '9).

BTW the car is just awesome looks wise, space is decent and quality of materials not great but not bad either. If this one handles as good as the Fiesta, priced right and of course gives good mileage, this will be a BIG HIT!! (Maybe bigger than the Duster)
Old 25th March 2013, 13:01   #307
BHPian

Saw the ecosposrt in the flesh yesterday, quite liked the exterior looks and street presence. However, the interior plastics quality was disappointing. Seats also are just ok, especially the rear seats. Will be interesting to see the price points.
Old 25th March 2013, 13:57   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro711 View Post
The height adjustment is there and works well. I have a habit of positioning the seat to the highest possible level and that's the first thing I did as soon as I sat on the front seat. I do not remember seeing the bonnet or not, however overall visibility was pretty decent (I am 5 '9).
Modern cars tend to have sloping bonnet and it is not possible to see the tip of the bonnet, how much ever your seat is raised. It is a different story with boxy SUVs (such as Quallies, Scorpio etc)
Old 25th March 2013, 15:05   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Thats a vital information, i was waiting to know. blame it on scorpio. So how tall you are? do they have height adjustment?
I am 5.10 and i felt good after sitting in it. No leg space issues in most driving positions. Only if the driver's seat is pushed as all the way back and a 6 footer sits right behind, it is going to be a problem. I drive with seats at say 50% of the travel and one wont have issues. Only if the driver person is uncourteous to move the seat all the way back, it is a challenge. Yes EcoSport titanium has heigh adjust. "It has pump type" and Height increases as we continue to sit. No need to move our body above the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyse View Post
After the agonising long long wait, I do hope (for Ford's sake) that the Ecosport comes out with zero quality issues, else I shudder to think what will happen to Ford's plans and dreams !!

To me, it looks like Ford did not really focus on the localisation all through last year - and only recently they realised that to get the pricing right, they have to localise aggressively.
They will not price it aggressively but top model will be 11-12 ish and basic model will be 7-8 ish (eh showroom). People love this car already and am sure ford will encash this. I am sure they will NOT play a low-ball price here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Modern cars tend to have sloping bonnet and it is not possible to see the tip of the bonnet, how much ever your seat is raised. It is a different story with boxy SUVs (such as Quallies, Scorpio etc)
the center portion is visible, but the edges are not. Maybe a flag pole should help . The visibility is limited due to the long sweeping dashboard.
Old 26th March 2013, 12:42   #310

News on diesel version launch in Argentina...

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/i...gentina-69253/

Highlight: "The 2013 Ford EcoSport Diesel Crossover that will be launched in India in a few months is expected to feature an identical specification."

Source: Indiancarsbikes website
pro711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 14:55   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
We have been waiting for this car to be launched from a really long time. But no clear cut indication of the launch date is forcing us to choose something.

By the way are they taking the same car across India for showcasing? From the way the schedule is aligned, it looks that way.
They have two cars. One that began going from Mumbai and the other one from Delhi.
Old 26th March 2013, 21:02   #312
BHPian

Ford is supposedly delaying launch of EcoSport to localize it as much as possible and in the process make it affordable.

Having seen the EcoSport recently in Mumbai, I feel it is more of a hatchback on steroids with higher ground clearance and cannot be compared with SUVs. Also, the legroom at front and rear is same as a hatchback. Possibly Indica has a better legroom. I also came across comments where members have compared quality of interiors with that of Swift, Polo and i20 (All hatchbacks)

Considering all these facts, I calculated ideal launch price of EcoSport compared to hatchbacks.

- Listed out price point of each variants of well known hatchbacks.
- Took an average of lowest price point and highest variant across models
- Added 75000 as premium for EcoSport to arrive at ideal launch price

Do you think this is a fair calculation?
Attached Images

Last edited by damager21 : 26th March 2013 at 21:04.
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 21:06   #313
BHPian

Heard some internal news that EcoSport Petrol will be launched within a couple of months. Diesel version launch is being delayed.
Old 26th March 2013, 22:02   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Ford is supposedly delaying launch of EcoSport to localize it as much as possible and in the process make it affordable.

If Ford claims that it will be a shocker of a price - then your ballpark certainly nets it. I would pay Rs.9.5 L or thereabouts on-road for an automatic in Mumbai.
Old 27th March 2013, 12:49   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Having seen the EcoSport recently in Mumbai, I feel it is more of a hatchback on steroids with higher ground clearance and cannot be compared with SUVs. Also, the legroom at front and rear is same as a hatchback. Possibly Indica has a better legroom. I also came across comments where members have compared quality of interiors with that of Swift, Polo and i20 (All hatchbacks)

Considering all these facts, I calculated ideal launch price of EcoSport compared to hatchbacks.

I think your assessment of legroom and comparison with hatchbacks is spoton to what I felt when seeing the car at Ambience Mall in Gurgaon. Very interesting calculation as well! However, I think there are several flies in this ointment, namely:
  1. While we might think Ecosport belongs with the hatchbacks based on space, I think the Ford team will benchmark themselves against the Duster, as its a "mini-SUV"
  2. Secondly, the indian car industry has a long tradition of disappointing launch pricing because the greed gets the better of them. I dont expect Ford to act any differently - see the new Fiesta and the old Fusion!
  3. There is also this expectation that Ford will pass on the sub-4 metre excise benefits to customers. Why should they? I think its more likely that they will benchmark it to a similar market like China and proclaim, "we're selling you a world car at world prices. no markups!"
Closed Thread