Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 29th March 2013, 14:00   #346
M35
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

@damager21
Quote:
380 variants is huge. My guess is that by December, Ford could pass on benefit of better interiors we saw in European version to Indian version.
Ford launched ES in China with a decent interior quality [of course not as good as the EU version] at around INR 8.0-11.0 equivalent.If Ford sees India as their major export hub, I don’t see why shouldn’t they be providing the quality at least at par with the China version, if not EU, at a lower price.

Quote:
Considering the leg space and quality of interiors, I no longer see launch price of 5.99 lacs as attractive.
The fit and finish could certainly be improved in the final product, but not the rear space, I guess. Is it really a deal breaker, as I haven’t seen it in flesh?
Old 29th March 2013, 14:12   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
i may go down to Mantri Mall today evening to have a look!!!
Me too.
Wifey and kid know my plan and will join me. They don't really believe in window shopping, so I'm looking at a lighter wallet by the time we're back home. Ouch!
Maybe Ford should have displayed the EcoSport in one of their showrooms
ozzyrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 14:17   #348
Senior - BHPian

It may be a deal breaker for some. However, a majority of the people are not 6 footers and more often than not only the front seats are occupied ( as is the case with me). If the car offers decent interiors and comes at a decent price, a lot of the shortcomings will be ignored. No car is perfect (within a price range). I believe a lot of people who are otherwise looking for a Sedan will go in for a Ecosport.

I just hope that : 1) Ford prices the car well ( all versions) 2) Gives decent ( if not excellent ) interiors 3) gives a car with good handling and GC ( no undercarriage scraping), 4) Decent Space for an average family of 4 with360-400 litres of boot space 5) Decent Fuel consumption.6) reasonable delivery peirod ( witin 6 weeks).
This will ensre that the car is a hit.
Old 29th March 2013, 14:48   #349
BHPian

All rite, here is my take on the Ecosport after seeing it in flesh at the Mantri Mall, Bangalore

Woke up early, and after a swift text message to a very accommodating boss, that I would be delayed t office, since I am going to have a look at the Ecosport, reached Mantri mall at 8.30 am

Folks from the event management company were still setting up the show, and I was the first one to get there (apart from reps from each of Ford's sales partners)

I was initially told that only the dealers can have a look for the 1st one hour, but looking at my disappointed look, the brand manager from Ford was kind enough to let me in, to have a exclusive peek.

He reemphasized that this was a pre production car, and the fit & finish of the final product would be much better. I tend to agree, because it was clearly evident that this fella has been abused quite a bit both on road & off road. Hence there is no point talking about the seat covers etc.

The car has majestic road presence, and I repeat, is in no way puny or small as called out on this forums, at least that's what I thought so. It will hold it's ground very well against the Duster in terms of the road presence, and will beat it in terms of the sheer looks. The Chrome augers very well, and the orange color looks smashing. The paint job on the car is top class.

The interior's are good, I repeat are quite good. Almost similar to the NFS, however, the plastic color/quality around the armrests on the doors seemed quite cheap. Other than that, it definitely feels extremely well built, and you have a secure feeling in the cockpit. The front seats are comfortable, and the armrest on the driver's side is extremely handy.

The music system is quite good, and I didnt feel the need to replace the stock speakers, which I felt in the Duster.

The back seats are all right, although another 50mm leg room would have made it a killer preposition. The back seats do have adjustable reclines, and are quite comfortable. However, it is strictly a 2 seater + a kid. 3 adults are going to find it uncomfortable even for short trips. Having said that, there isn't much difference between the Duster's back seats & Ecosport's as I had a similar feeling in both cars about the 2nd row seats.

Bottomline is that there isnt too much difference between the Duster & Ecosport. I doubt it will eat into Duster's sales, however, it will certainly have an impact on Polo, I20, Swifts of the world, and obviously Duster's to some extent.

Ford's driveability is awesome, and this car with its GC, and Ford's genes will be an absolute pleasure to own. If you need loads of luggage space, Duster wins. If you have to show off to your neighbour, go buy the Verna, but I am sold on the car, its practicality in the city, fun element, and just enough for those weekend trips, where it can just about accomodate the photography gear.

The wait for the launch continues.

There was a fellow BHPian there(dint get his name), and we both agreed that our reactions on the forum were probably overdone, and it's very much a fine car to own.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img2013032900111.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img2013032900113.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img2013032900115.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img2013032900101.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img2013032900103.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img2013032900105.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img2013032900111.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img2013032900113.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img2013032900115.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img2013032900134.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img2013032900138.jpg  

Gizmokid is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 15:02   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmokid View Post
The wait for the launch continues.

There was a fellow BHPian there(dint get his name), and we both agreed that our reactions on the forum were probably overdone, and it's very much a fine car to own.
Many Thanks for the pics and an Unbiased first Look report .
The car looks smashing and the seats fairly accomodating.
Old 29th March 2013, 15:28   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All rite, here is my take on the Ecosport after seeing it in flesh at the Mantri Mall, Bangalore...

The back seats are all right, although another 50mm leg room would have made it a killer preposition. The back seats do have adjustable reclines, and are quite comfortable. However, it is strictly a 2 seater + a kid. 3 adults are going to find it uncomfortable even for short trips. Having said that, there isn't much difference between the Duster's back seats & Ecosport's as I had a similar feeling in both cars about the 2nd row seats...
Thank You for the report & pics. Could you tell us these

1. Height of the people who were sitting at the back (blue jeans & the other guy in formals)

2. What was the position of the front seats in that pic?

3. How was the under-thigh support for both?

4. Did you ask the brand manager why did they choose to exhibit a pre-production model and tell them what beating the car's interiors are getting on this forum?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th March 2013 at 15:33.
Old 29th March 2013, 15:31   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The interior's are good, I repeat are quite good. Almost similar to the NFS, however, the plastic color/quality around the armrests on the doors seemed quite cheap. Other than that, it definitely feels extremely well built, and you have a secure feeling in the cockpit. The front seats are comfortable, and the armrest on the driver's side is extremely handy.
Is the dashboard black in the lower half also? Some pictures I've seen made it appear like a lighter shade of gray, but I'm not sure if that's just the picture quality or reality.
Old 29th March 2013, 15:55   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thank You for the report & pics. Could you tell us these

1. Height of the people who were sitting at the back (blue jeans & the other guy in formals)

2. What was the position of the front seats in that pic?

3. How was the under-thigh support for both?

4. Did you ask the brand manager why did they choose to exhibit a pre-production model and tell them what beating the car's interiors are getting on this forum?

1)Blue Jeans is me :-), 5'7, the other guy was probably around 5'5ish

2) Front seats were moderately pushed back, and the front seat had a 5'8ish guy at the driver's seat. Son unless you have a big guy seated in the front, leg room is fairly ok, but not great

3) Under thigh support is fine, although you would tend to expect more comfort.

4) He was quite busy, all he said was the intention is to get people to see the car in flesh, and it doesn't reflect the actual product. I don't know why they couldn't have got Stanley leathers guys to jazz it up quickly. It would have served them a whole lot more than those 30K :-(. They did have a 3M guy there who was cleaning the car up with some OEM 3M stuff :-). Ford surely seems to have learnt from the Delhi fiasco

Also, I doubt if there would be serious changes in the plastics in the end product, I don't think its as easy as that, but would love to, nevertheless

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Is the dashboard black in the lower half also? Some pictures I've seen made it appear like a lighter shade of gray, but I'm not sure if that's just the picture quality or reality.
It's all black, only the side door hand rests have very poor light grey plastics, which looks likes the old taxi indica's quality

Dash etc is all much like NFS quality

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another
on the same thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th March 2013 at 19:14.
Gizmokid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 16:30   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

3) Under thigh support is fine, although you would tend to expect more comfort.
How is the space in the driver seat? I am 6'2" tall and hope the vehicle will give me enough space and under thigh support with the seat pulled back.

I understand that there is no dead pedal. Is there enough space to rest the left foot next to the clutch?

The vehicle seems quite promising. Excellent for city and good for highway.

Thanks for the valuable post.
Old 29th March 2013, 16:31   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's all black, only the side door hand rests have very poor light grey plastics, which looks likes the old taxi indica's quality

Dash etc is all much like NFS quality
Thank you - that's excellent. As a fan of black interiors, I was worried they were lightening it up - your response is reassuring!
Old 29th March 2013, 18:16   #356
M35
BHPian

A pictorial review by indiatvnews here
The dark shade interior looks decent.

Last edited by M35 : 29th March 2013 at 18:22. Reason: deleted pictures.Pls visit the link provided for pics
M35 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 19:15   #357
BHPian

I reached at 3 pm assuming not many will be around on a Friday afternoon, and when I reached right in front of the car, I was where is the car?? There were so many people around it I could not even see a spot of it, this goes to show how much anticipated this car is, and in summary it is a fine car, period. It has the potential to go bigger than the Figo too, yes it is not great at everything you look at but which car is?

My observations;
1. The most important for me is the driving position, seat support is good, you can get the best of it here (in Titanium), steering is just the right size, rack and reach adjust, driver seat hight adjust, its just spot on for a spirited drive on what ever surface you want. I wish the seats were just a little wider and more hugging.

2. Space is adequate, but more importantly inside it feels very cozy, snug, and secure. It is the same or a little more spacious than the Yeti, (but I'd like to reserve my opinion on that until Shankar sir sees it). The front seats hold you well if you are not more than 6.2 and 100kgs. I saw 2 guys sitting front and back talked to them one was 5.10 the other was 5.8 in the drivers seat, they felt comfortable and just about that. My take; 4 humans of 5.8 each and under 90 kgs will be comfortable on long runs so long as they don't want to place their one foot above their other knee, I hope you get the math.

3. Interior quality is good, not as good as the vento or the rapid but much better than the figo and a little lesser than the new fiesta, but far better than the Duster. You do get a certain amount of premium feel after spending 8+ lakhs which you do not get in a Duster after spending 10+ lakhs.

4. Tyre upgrade can be done, and I feel is a must, it looks under tyred, the alloys are good, at least 3 size bigger will look great, it comes with 205/60 R16, I think it will give clearance for upto 225/60 R16.

If it delivers on the drive which I have a little high hopes considering its a ford, I just hope the power is at least 120 bhp (fuel does not matter), it will blow the Vento & Rapid hollow, these 2 are simply over priced, no wonder they are scrambling to sell as many as possible with discounts running over a lakh

Now the proof of the pudding err car is in the driving now.

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2013 at 17:01. Reason: Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 20:21   #358
BHPian

I saw the car too in mantri today. At first glance, I was disappointed. It does not look from any angle like an SUV. It's just a little bigger hatch. The rear mounted wheel tries to make it a wannabe SUV but fails IMO.

From what I saw, it's not a sedan replacement simply cuz of two reasons.

1. It can't seat 5 adults even uncomfortably and it is claustrophobic. The duster can, albeit with a bit of discomfort.

2. It doesn't have any great boot space. The duster does.

At best it might eat a bit of sales of polo, i20, swift and figo if priced sensibly.

The interiors are similar to fiesta and there's nothing to rave about. Overall I'm disappointed after all the hoopla.

Edit: I'm convinced why Ford will price it in the 5-9 lakh bracket now.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 29th March 2013 at 20:22.
Added_flavor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 21:24   #359
BHPian

Today morning I was fortunate enough to spot 4 variants of Ecosport at Salem - Coimbatore highway. They were parked on the side of the highway. Car was big enough to draw my attention from distance and as some one else mentioned in the forum, it does have a great road presence. Since I was in a hurry didn't bother to stop and check all the variants. The yellow color was standing out .

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img_1352.jpg
sajanjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 21:27   #360
BHPian

I think the EcoSport on display in Bangalore is the same which was on display in Mumbai. In fact Gizmokid's review is in lines with what I thought:
- Excellent exteriors
- Decent quality interiors
- Pre-production version on display
- Sufficient leg room for adults of height upto 5.9"

Pricing is the only question mark and 2 months is a long time to know whether its worth the wait or not. I was looking at pricing of Fiesta variants and applied that on EcoSport to arrive at following pricing.

Could easily be i20 and Polo killer.
Attached Images

Last edited by damager21 : 29th March 2013 at 21:31.
Closed Thread