Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 29th March 2013, 21:51   #361
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
From what I saw, it's not a sedan replacement.
Absolutely agree. The rear space is manageable if you have average-sized people in the front. I was really disappointed with the width on offer. 2 adults and a kid will be a squeeze at the rear.
My wife said the office cab (Indica Vista) that picks her up everyday feels much more roomier
This will be a great alternative to a hatch and will do well if priced around 50-75 k over the Swift/i20. Sorry EcoSport, you won't make it into my garage. Now it's time to wait for the Amaze.
Old 29th March 2013, 21:57   #362
Team-BHP Support

Judging from Ford India's previous decision-making examples, my gut-feeling is that the Ecosport will come with some unreasonable pricing to begin with. I truly hope I am proved wrong.
Old 29th March 2013, 21:58   #363
BHPian

Quote:
It does not look from any angle like an SUV. It's just a little bigger hatch. The rear mounted wheel tries to make it a wannabe SUV but fails IMO.
A more modern Ford Fusion perhaps? Dimensions of the fusion were better. However, its whats below the hood that matters, if, you are buying the ecoboost heart. I agree with your view on sedan replacement.
Old 29th March 2013, 22:45   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I think the EcoSport on display in Bangalore is the same which was on display in Mumbai. In fact Gizmokid's review is in lines with what I thought:
- Excellent exteriors
- Decent quality interiors
- Pre-production version on display
- Sufficient leg room for adults of height upto 5.9"

Pricing is the only question mark and 2 months is a long time to know whether its worth the wait or not. I was looking at pricing of Fiesta variants and applied that on EcoSport to arrive at following pricing.

Could easily be i20 and Polo killer.
Could you tell me how you arrived at these figures? I read that you looked at the fiesta pricing and applied that to arrive on a price. But could you explain as to what factors you took into consideration for arriving at these figures?
Old 29th March 2013, 23:15   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
....I was looking at pricing of Fiesta variants and applied that on EcoSport to arrive at following pricing.

Could easily be i20 and Polo killer.
Where is the Titanium Plus Ecoboost variant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Judging from Ford India's previous decision-making examples, my gut-feeling is that the Ecosport will come with some unreasonable pricing to begin with...
Isn't the last two examples the Figo & Fiesta? When I agree Fiesta was a bit over the top, Figo was a good deal ain't it? They were also liberal with the features on offer on the Fiesta. I believe it was NOT their greed, rather the large import content that played havoc with the pricing. Yes, they should have foreseen that; it's a mistake on their part.
Old 29th March 2013, 23:45   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Where is the Titanium Plus Ecoboost variant?
When I went to Infiniti mall in Mumbai to see the EcoSport, the spokesperson told me that Titanium Plus version of petrol will come with Automatic transmission and we know for a fact that AT will be available only with 1.5L petrol engine. Hence my guess is that there may not be any Titanium Plus variant with Ecoboost engine.

In fact if you look at the variants of EcoSport launched in China, there are total 6 petrol variants with only 1 having Ecoboost engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_slow View Post
Could you tell me how you arrived at these figures? I read that you looked at the fiesta pricing and applied that to arrive on a price. But could you explain as to what factors you took into consideration for arriving at these figures?
I looked at all variants of Fiesta and calculated % increment applied by Ford for the next model. I just applied the same % increment starting with 5.99 lacs for Base version of EcoSport. May not be the right solution, but could be an indicator.
Attached Images

Old 30th March 2013, 10:10   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Thank you - that's excellent. As a fan of black interiors, I was worried they were lightening it up - your response is reassuring!
Sorry, I stand corrected, the lower part of the dash is light grey
Gizmokid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 18:00   #368
Senior - BHPian

A news excerpt from The Economic Times promising exciting and Dzire rivaling prices for the EcoSport
Quote:
US automaker Ford plans to aggressively price its compact sports utility vehicle EcoSport, taking on hatchbacks like the Hyundai i20 and Suzuki DZire in its bid to expand the SUV market and challenge French carmaker Renault's bold opening gambit.

ET learns that the initial launch price of the compact EcoSport SUV will be Rs 5.9-6 lakh, much lower than Renault Duster's launch price of RS 7.19 lakh. Higher variants will command a higher price, but Ford has worked out the pricing in such a way that the top-most EcoSport variant, at around 9 lakh, will still be cheaper than the Duster's Rs 11 lakh.

The EcoSport's pricing is likely to intensify competition in the SUV segment and also force hatchback makers such as Hyundai and Maruti to change tack quickly. The top DZire/i20 variant is likely to cost more than the base version of an EcoSport, giving buyers an opportunity to buy an SUV (even if it is a compact one) than a costly premium hatchback or a compact sedan. For instance, the highest version of a Maruti DZire costs Rs 7.5 lakh while the i20's premium version costs about Rs 7.79 lakh.

Duster's customers include buyers of mid-size sedans such as Honda City, Volkswagen Vento and Hyundai Verna, but the EcoSport, being a B segment compact SUV, will aim at buyers of compact sedans such as Maruti Suzuki DZire and Toyota Etios.

Renault rattled the SUV market veterans, primarily M&M, by launching the Duster at an initial price of Rs 7.19 lakh.
A few good sets of pics of the car that I found across the InterWeb.

Ford EcoSport: Exploring the interiors

India Spec EcoSport Revealed
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 11:23   #369
BANNED

Breaking news: as Per overdrive the high end diesel variant will be priced at rs 13.5L ???outrageous and sure shot flop
Overdrive

bertrandOD: Exclusive: Expect top end diesel Ford Ecosport to be priced at13.5L on-road ex-Thane. Other pricing closely matched to Duster. #OD
Old 31st March 2013, 12:03   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetg84 View Post
Breaking news: as Per overdrive the high end diesel variant will be priced at rs 13.5L ???outrageous and sure shot flop
Overdrive

bertrandOD: Exclusive: Expect top end diesel Ford Ecosport to be priced at13.5L on-road ex-Thane. Other pricing closely matched to Duster. #OD
If that's true, no one would even dare to touch the vehicle. I will be better off buying a 85 ps top end duster or heck even a xuv. And not to forget, sooner or later nissan is going to launch it's duster avtar, at around 60-70k cheaper then renault's duster.

On one hand there is speculation of launching base petrol for 5.9L and on other hand, people are speculating 13.5L for top end diesel, Why the heck ford doesn't gives us hint.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:42   #371
BHPian

Quote:
I saw the car too in mantri today. At first glance, I was disappointed. It does not look from any angle like an SUV. It's just a little bigger hatch. The rear mounted wheel tries to make it a wannabe SUV but fails IMO.

From what I saw, it's not a sedan replacement simply cuz of two reasons.

1. It can't seat 5 adults even uncomfortably and it is claustrophobic. The duster can, albeit with a bit of discomfort.

2. It doesn't have any great boot space. The duster does.

At best it might eat a bit of sales of polo, i20, swift and figo if priced sensibly.

The interiors are similar to fiesta and there's nothing to rave about. Overall I'm disappointed after all the hoopla.

Edit: I'm convinced why Ford will price it in the 5-9 lakh bracket now.
I share the same views. It's not particularly big or even have the looks of a proper SUV, in terms it's butch not big. The folks from ford at mantri mall didn't allow anyone to check out the engine bay, there was a girl from ford who told me that one can carry the engine in a shopping bag apparently It's that light and small, I'm thinking that's one helluva super bag. Did you notice the front fender is integrated into the bonnet and the poor placement of the front vent glass it looked out of place. Much spoken and hyped car that won't be up to the expectation of tourers but for a city car it might be good. I still fail to see what is the purpose of this car? It's confused as to what role it's supposed to play too small to call it an SUV, hatchback like seating space, 200mm ground clearance like an off roader but engine is not powerful enough to do off roading. Duster looks like a good car at this moment plus I'd rather pick a car that knows what role it's supposed to play hatchback, sedan or SUV it must be made for a purpose.
Old 31st March 2013, 13:08   #372
BHPian

Well i did have a look at the Ecosport at Mantri mall yesterday and my thoughts as already echoed by others on the forum.

1. Does NOT appear like a hatchback on stilts at all by any means. It looks like a proper mini SUV with High GC and great stance. The exterior fit and finish is great with no panel gaps.

2. Its a strict 4 seater ONLY. 5 will be a major squeeze like my Swift. Boot space is 320 ltrs, very sufficient and easy to load luggage.

3. All black interiors with a bit of grey thrown in here and there. It felt a bit claustrophobic at the back especially.

4. Am 5.7 and there was sufficient headroom both at front and back. Driver seat position is great and comfortable. I could not see the bonnet from the driver seat (maybe 10% was visible).

Now the best part, the car's battery was down and they replaced it during which time I managed to take pics and videos of the engine bay as well and they were also revving the Ecoboost engine which sounded very sweet and was barely audible (or it could have been the case of too much noise around as well).

I have taken a video of the engine bay and the ecoboost engine revving as well, but not sure how to upload videos here.

Some pics from my side.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-20130330_171434.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-20130330_164405.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-20130330_164545.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-20130330_165523.jpg  

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-20130330_165532.jpg  

NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 13:18   #373
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
3. All black interiors with a bit of grey thrown in here and there. It felt a bit claustrophobic at the back especially.

The lower half of the dash doesn't appear to be black at all,in one of your pictures.

Last edited by M35 : 31st March 2013 at 13:19.
Old 31st March 2013, 13:52   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post

The lower half of the dash doesn't appear to be black at all,in one of your pictures.
There is grey under the front dashboard and near the armrest at the rear. Rest is all black.
Old 31st March 2013, 13:57   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetg84 View Post
Breaking news: as Per overdrive the high end diesel variant will be priced at rs 13.5L ...

I still believe Hormazd & his scoops over anyone. Or is there a chance we might see a diesel auto at the top end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_slow View Post
...The folks from ford at mantri mall didn't allow anyone to check out the engine bay, there was a girl from ford who told me that one can carry the engine in a shopping bag apparently It's that light and small, I'm thinking that's one helluva super bag....
Not at all, it's a medium size suitcase. Did you miss the below link?

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/fo...ase-51970.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
...I have taken a video of the engine bay and the ecoboost engine revving as well, but not sure how to upload videos here...
Please upload the video to youtube and paste the link which you get after uploading, here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
...The lower half of the dash doesn't appear to be black at all,in one of your pictures.
I believe the bottom of the dash is NOT black but grey. I have seen the same combination in all the pics till now. The color combination is very similar to Figo / new Fiesta.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 31st March 2013 at 14:04.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread