Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 1st April 2013, 12:45   #406
BANNED

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Ford has made a big mistake by not launching this car 1st quarter of 2013, now the Honda Amaze is going to launch on 11th April 2013 and the countdown has started on the honda`s website.
Honda Amaze though a different category will still manage to eat a quite a lot of chunk of ecosport's share. Look at the mind boggling specs of Honda`s diesel engine.100ps power from 1.5l and a mileage of 25.8 kmpl. I am sure once launched the ones waiting patiently for the Ecosport will look at amaze as an option.
Further Ford has disappointed with low quality interiors of ecosport and delay,and Honda is the king in terms of Quality and as per article on indianautosblog the Honda Amaze has a stockpile of 10,000 production ready units,so waiting period will be lot less.
Old 1st April 2013, 13:18   #407

I could not get a chance to visit the Ecosport display at Mantri but am grateful for the numerous preliminary review from fellow BHP-ians.
My mind had been practically made up on Ecosport being my next buy and step closer to a fascinating SUV (or Compact SUV) ownership experience. However, some common observations about paucity of space for individuals on the rear seat and some limitation on boot space has left me with growing apprehension and tad disappointment.
Also, ambiguity and noise over official launch dates and postponements doesn't help the cause either. With a heavy heart, I booked a test drive with the Renault Duster.
Old 1st April 2013, 16:47   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
I could not get a chance to visit the Ecosport display at Mantri but am grateful for the numerous preliminary review from fellow BHP-ians.
My mind had been practically made up on Ecosport being my next buy and step closer to a fascinating SUV (or Compact SUV) ownership experience. However, some common observations about paucity of space for individuals on the rear seat and some limitation on boot space has left me with growing apprehension and tad disappointment.
Also, ambiguity and noise over official launch dates and postponements doesn't help the cause either. With a heavy heart, I booked a test drive with the Renault Duster.
Well, You should take a closer look at the vehicle to finalize your decision, unless you cant wait till Ecosport gets launched, which Ford and God only Knows. Its not bad as what some bhpians claim here. Its just their perception. I remember so many folks making fun on Swift's design, often told that only people in the city will buy this kind of design and you know what happened to that car. Just get to feel the car and decide.
Old 1st April 2013, 16:56   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Well, You should take a closer look at the vehicle to finalize your decision, unless you cant wait till Ecosport gets launched, which Ford and God only Knows. Its not bad as what some bhpians claim here. Its just their perception. I remember so many folks making fun on Swift's design, often told that only people in the city will buy this kind of design and you know what happened to that car. Just get to feel the car and decide.
Agree. I've been wanting to get a new car to replace my aging esteem and want a sedan/muv/suv but around 10lacs OTR. The Amaze seems to be ticking all the boxes except (ACC which i thought is not a wrong expectation at around 10lacs).
The ecosport on the other hand seems increasingly to be turning out as a hatch on steroids. I'm not saying thats a bad thing since its designed to be so! Just that i was expecting something positive when it came to space and that isn't turning out as expected.
So if i like the Amaze in flesh after a TD, am in now. No more waiting for the Ecosport now. Its just taking way too long!
Old 1st April 2013, 17:28   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Just get to feel the car and decide.
I hear you. I am in no great hurry and I am strongly hoping that final version would be worth the excitement and wait. In the meantime, delays are stoking the pessimism warranting the need to explore other upcoming options or VW Vento which is currently No. 2 on my list. The wait is fine (as was case with RE DS 500) but there should be atleast be certainty communicated from Ford.
Old 1st April 2013, 20:50   #411
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Came across the Eco-Sport crash test video conducted by Latin NCAP.
It scored reasonably well, got 4/5 stars in passenger and 3/5 star in child safety.

P.S I do hope that all the localisation has not had an adverse effect on the structural integrity.
ES 4 star crash rating is a bit of anti climax as the new ford fiesta on which ES is based is 5 star crash rated by euro ncap.
Old 1st April 2013, 21:54   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post

ES 4 star crash rating is a bit of anti climax as the new ford fiesta on which ES is based is 5 star crash rated by euro ncap.
All, for a laymen like me, how do I know the difference between 4 AND 5 star crash rating. I'm not sure what tests are missing between these 2 ratings or what tests failed in ecosport to get a 4 star rating. Any links to read and understand will be highly appreciated. I tried Google, but most are too technical to understand.
BTW, I don't even know what rating my civic has.. Is it 2,3,4 or 5??
Basically, are the chances to survive much higher with 5 star rated vehicles?
Old 1st April 2013, 22:12   #413
Senior - BHPian

Some guys here are being downright cynical about this car. I remember lot of people called Swift an ugly frog, around the launch time. We all know where it is today.

Also, I do not understand this,"oh! The launch is taking too long. I can't wait. I will go buy x, y or z." We are talking cars here. Not a street corner shop where we say, "oh, samosa will take some time. So let us instead have cutlet." Come on. We do not change car every month. It's not like we buy X car now and two months down the road when EcoSport launches, we sell X and buy EcoSport. I will rather wait for it than be straddled with what I would not buy 100% heartedly.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2013 at 14:33. Reason: Please do NOT refer to cars via short-forms (e.g. ES or ANHC). Full Names ONLY please. Thanks
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 22:21   #414
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
All, for a laymen like me, how do I know the difference between 4 AND 5 star crash rating. I'm not sure what tests are missing between these 2 ratings or what tests failed in ecosport to get a 4 star rating. Any links to read and understand will be highly appreciated. I tried Google, but most are too technical to understand.
visit euro ncap crash test wrbsite and you will get how different tests are done on each car. Its mandatory for all the cars launched in europe to undergo such test and get a rating, the same way the cars are rated for fuel efficiency in our kitna deti hai manifested country.
Different tests like complete frontal collision, partial front collision, pole test are done and loading and pressures are measured through sensor filled dummies(in chest, head, knee etc) in the car. Then analysing the complete petformance of the structure of the car during impact, various organ loadings, no. Of safety equipments on offer and even considering the padestrian safety, the car is rated on the scale of 5.
Few indian cars which are euro ncap rated are
2005 suzuki swift- 4 star
2011 suzuki swift - 5 star
suzuki ritz- 4 star
hyundai getz- 4 star
europe ford fusion 2003- 4 star
hyundai i20-5 star
fiat punto-5 star
suzuki a star- 4 star
mahindra xuv 500- australian ncap 4 star
renault logan/ mahindra verito- 3 star
Old 1st April 2013, 22:25   #415
BHPian

Went to Mantri mall to see the EcoSport on Sunday evening. This car indeed is a crowd puller. Need to wait 15 mins to examine the car as there was a huge rush. Exterior is good. Not sure of the head lamps as i felt the reflective area is small and felt that the light will be insufficient. Interiors not very good, not very bad. Strictly OK and if Ford prices it in 6-9 lk bracket then we won't hear much complain on the interiors.

On the downside the driver seating is not comfortable for persons taller than 5 feet 8 inches. The distance between the accelerator and brake pedal is so less that when you move your leg from accelerator to brake, your knee hits the steering wheel.

We also tried one combination wherein a person of height 6 feet 1 inches was made to to sit in the driver seat and a person of height 5 feet 9 inches was made to sit in the back seat. The result, no leg room for the rear passenger.

So my conclusion is Ecosport is good for folks with height below 6 feet. Back seat was good with a good reclining angle.

Thanks, Prakash.
Old 1st April 2013, 22:27   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To answer your last question - yes. You should always try and buy a 5-star rated car. If I remember a Fifth Gear episode correctly - all types of crashes will leave you with injuries, the difference is in the degree.

A 5 star car may leave you with bruises and skin injuries, a 4 star a few broken bones, a 3 star much serious injuries but you'll live. Beyond the 60mph speed at which these tests are done - none of it counts. Chances are you may not survive.

In light of this, the Ecosport results aren't that great.
Old 1st April 2013, 22:35   #417
BHPian

Quote:
That is indeed strange !!

However is the chassis the same or has it been altered for the Ecosport ??.

Quote:
Firstly all crash tests happen under controlled environments and to reproduce the same situations in ever day life would be next to impossible. However this does not nullify the results of these crash tests. A crash test, even though it is in a controlled environment, gives one a fair idea about how strong the car is, how well is it engineered in the structural integrity department and how well are the crumple zones working. The crash tests also test other parameters such as impact of the collision on the occupants of the car, which also includes children in the back seat, number of safety features in the car such as air bags, head restraints, seat belts etc. Hence these tests are very essential in disclosing how well would a car fare if there is supposed to be an accident.

Your Civic has a 4 star rating if i am not mistaken .

Yes chances of survival are much much higher in a 5 star car compared to a 1 star car. Please search for some Chinese car crash test videos(on youtube) and see them crumple, on the other hand search for Mercedes E class crash test video and see the difference. Even though the front side takes some impact, the structural integrity of the car is intact !! In all probability you will not notice any structural damage beyond the A pillar(the pillar next too the dash board). This proves that the bonnet and the front side of the car absorbed the impact well and did not let it through beyond the A pillar which is where the occupants are seated.

For a better understanding of the star systems, kindly visit the following links :-

1) http://www.ancap.com.au/starratings

2) http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtesting

Even though these ratings enlighten one to how safe a car is, i am reminded of a handle which one of the bhpians is carrying " You are only as safe as your driver"

Last edited by Enigmatic : 1st April 2013 at 22:42.
Old 1st April 2013, 22:58   #418
BHPian

Quote:

visit euro ncap crash test wrbsite and you will get how different tests are done on each car. Its mandatory for all the cars launched in europe to undergo such test and get a rating, the same way the cars are rated for fuel efficiency in our kitna deti hai manifested country.
Different tests like complete frontal collision, partial front collision, pole test are done and loading and pressures are measured through sensor filled dummies(in chest, head, knee etc) in the car. Then analysing the complete petformance of the structure of the car during impact, various organ loadings, no. Of safety equipments on offer and even considering the padestrian safety, the car is rated on the scale of 5.
Few indian cars which are euro ncap rated are
2005 suzuki swift- 4 star
2011 suzuki swift - 5 star
suzuki ritz- 4 star
hyundai getz- 4 star
europe ford fusion 2003- 4 star
hyundai i20-5 star
fiat punto-5 star
suzuki a star- 4 star
mahindra xuv 500- australian ncap 4 star
renault logan/ mahindra verito- 3 star
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post

To answer your last question - yes. You should always try and buy a 5-star rated car. If I remember a Fifth Gear episode correctly - all types of crashes will leave you with injuries, the difference is in the degree.

A 5 star car may leave you with bruises and skin injuries, a 4 star a few broken bones, a 3 star much serious injuries but you'll live. Beyond the 60mph speed at which these tests are done - none of it counts. Chances are you may not survive.

In light of this, the Ecosport results aren't that great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post

That is indeed strange !!

However is the chassis the same or has it been altered for the Ecosport ??.

Firstly all crash tests happen under controlled environments and to reproduce the same situations in ever day life would be next to impossible. However this does not nullify the results of these crash tests. A crash test, even though it is in a controlled environment, gives one a fair idea about how strong the car is, how well is it engineered in the structural integrity department and how well are the crumple zones working. The crash tests also test other parameters such as impact of the collision on the occupants of the car, which also includes children in the back seat, number of safety features in the car such as air bags, head restraints, seat belts etc. Hence these tests are very essential in disclosing how well would a car fare if there is supposed to be an accident.

Your Civic has a 4 star rating if i am not mistaken .

Yes chances of survival are much much higher in a 5 star car compared to a 1 star car. Please search for some Chinese car crash test videos(on youtube) and see them crumple, on the other hand search for Mercedes E class crash test video and see the difference. Even though the front side takes some impact, the structural integrity of the car is intact !! In all probability you will not notice any structural damage beyond the A pillar(the pillar next too the dash board). This proves that the bonnet and the front side of the car absorbed the impact well and did not let it through beyond the A pillar which is where the occupants are seated.

For a better understanding of the star systems, kindly visit the following links :-

1) http://www.ancap.com.au/starratings

2) http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtesting

Even though these ratings enlighten one to how safe a car is, i am reminded of a handle which one of the bhpians is carrying " You are only as safe as your driver"
Thanks all. It helps folks like me to appreciate a better rated vehicle, though our road conditions are humoungously different than European standards. By paying few more thousands, if the car is well built, I'm all in to pay the difference.
Old 1st April 2013, 23:32   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all. It helps folks like me to appreciate a better rated vehicle, though our road conditions are humoungously different than European standards. By paying few more thousands, if the car is well built, I'm all in to pay the difference.
I'm drifting slightly OT here, but ensure that apart from the passive safety features like 5-star rated body shell that keeps you safer during an accident, you also pay for the features that might keep you from getting into that accident in the first place (features like ABS, ESP).
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 23:34   #420
BHPian

Ecosport got 4 star with 2 airbags, can easily score good 5 start with 6 airbags and more equipment

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-safety.jpg

I20 got 5 start with 6 airbags and less than 4 star with 2 air bags.

Ecosport will be safer than many on Indian roads

Last edited by bageherath : 1st April 2013 at 23:36.
bageherath is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread