Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd April 2013, 08:32   #421
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

If Ford decides to sell Ecosport with say 6 airbags (and a 5 star rating) right from the lowest variant, would people close their eyes and buy it? No way. People would complain that the car is way too overpriced and move on to other brands. Even now we see people complaining that the car is not good without even knowing the price. We Indians( atleast a majority of us) put a lot of importance to initial cost as a deciding factor in buying a car rather than looking at safety. It is unfortunately a very harsh truth that the manufacturers have to cater to. At the same time, I also hope that Ford has every variant come with Airbags and ABS and not take us for a royal ride with absurd pricing. This car and Figo are going to be their only volume sellers for a while.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:06   #422
BHPian

I did make a visit to Ecosport and here are my observation:

1. As I expected, it is a jacked up hatchback. So, but for height/ground clearance, I don't see any advantage over a hatchback like i20 or Ford Figo.
2. Back row seemed cramped. For 5.10, front seats were touching knees. I somehow feel Figo has better back row.
3. Plastic and dashboard is okay, not bad. Could not check anything on Microsoft Sync though.
4. Overall I liked the looks of this suv (not SUV) Front grill gives a head turning look. Indoors, every car looks big. Need to see how it scores on road.
5. Boot space is very limited.

Since I heard of Ecosport, I have been waiting to see this in person. I almost bought Duster but initial buyer experience for Duster seemed bit discouraging. Duster's petrol version does not have any airbags. Looked like Renault did not want its petrol customers to be safe!. Also, since duster 85PS had so much of waiting period, it made my nerves settle and wait for Ecosport.

I m looking at Duster or Ecosport as both call themselves SUVs and don't occupy a lot of space. Both suit small family and weekend getaways.

Now the decision would be made based on following:
1. Pricing: (Ford ecosport 1.0 petrol if its priced under 6L OTR)
2. Testdrive: Does ecoboost really stands-up to its claim? and how does GC impact cornering.
3. Waiting period!: Does Ford has any aggressiveness in churning out ecosports unlike renault?

So, overall pricing is going to be key. To me, its a hatchback mounted on a higher platform. So wouldn't be prudent to put beyond 6L OTR. Can Ford afFord to price it under 6L without compromising on safety features?
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:42   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbshankar View Post
2. Testdrive: Does ecoboost really stands-up to its claim? and how does GC impact cornering.
Guess, you will have to revisit the previous Ecosport thread to know about GC and cornering. Turn back few pages from here, you will see the video from Autocar stating the ride/GC/cornering etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Some guys here are being downright cynical about this car. I remember lot of people called Swift an ugly frog, around the launch time. We all know where it is today.
Exactly !!! We will have to see the car on Roads (and $$) and it may change the perception completely
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:46   #424
BHPian

Quote:
So, overall pricing is going to be key. To me, its a hatchback mounted on a higher platform. So wouldn't be prudent to put beyond 6L OTR. Can Ford afFord to price it under 6L without compromising on safety features?
6L OTR in Bangalore is a tough ask. The Swift ZXI, with all the safety features, is 7L+ OTR here. The i20 Sport (without passenger airbag) is again around 7.3L OTR. I'd be surprised if the EcoSport is cheaper
Old 2nd April 2013, 12:14   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

In general there are comments on the size, leg space, plastic quality etc., but nothing much on the safety aspects. Can anyone help to check on the no. of airbags, ESP etc.?
Old 2nd April 2013, 14:01   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
6L OTR in Bangalore is a tough ask. The Swift ZXI, with all the safety features, is 7L+ OTR here. The i20 Sport (without passenger airbag) is again around 7.3L OTR. I'd be surprised if the EcoSport is cheaper
OTR was a mistake from my side. I was meaning ex-showroom. Yes, 6L OTR would be tough ask. If Ford wants to kill all these Hatches with its 1L EcoSport, then

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Guess, you will have to revisit the previous Ecosport thread to know about GC and cornering. Turn back few pages from here, you will see the video from Autocar stating the ride/GC/cornering etc.
Yes, I have seen Autocar reviews some time back. However, i was referring to checking it out personally. By looking at its width to height ratio, I felt, at high speeds on curves it would make me nervous. However, Autocar has reviewed it the other way. If its as per Autocar review and right pricing, then it would knock down many hatches and some entry level sedans too. In that case, Renault may also have to revisit its petrol Duster with respect to pricing and safety features.
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:00   #427
BHPian

Quote:
I did make a visit to Ecosport and here are my observation:

1. As I expected, it is a jacked up hatchback. So, but for height/ground clearance, I don't see any advantage over a hatchback like i20 or Ford Figo.
Isnt that the biggest advantage we love to see. Afterall, ever hatchback and sedan owners have this as their only common wish...
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:05   #428
Senior - BHPian

My bad - regarding the crash test discussion, I'd previously posted that Euro NCAP tests cars at 60 mph. That is wrong, the speed is 40 mph. Higher than that and all bets are off - watch this:
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:54   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Isnt that the biggest advantage we love to see. Afterall, ever hatchback and sedan owners have this as their only common wish...
Absolutely. High seating, high view from the car, just walking, not crawling into the car will always be in the wish list for current sedan/hatch owners.
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:54   #430
BHPian

Seriously Ford, what is the USP of this vehicle.

1. 4 occupants only - Throw the fifth one out ??
2. 1litre ecoboost engine. Kitna deti hai is our question
3. Interior quality - Less said the better, after visit to Mantri. Storme class only i guess
4. Mini SUV - With the indian mind set on value for money and the Amaze just around the corner, - Honda comes with a big danda
5. Water wading - I would prefer a 4X4 instead of urban SUV
6. Sub 4 meter - what boot space, what luggage, what car

To me, Ford does not have a USP on this vehicle. After seeing it in the flesh, barring the outer design shell, i dont see any reason to jump up for joy. I would have preferred if this was a bit roomier, forget the excise duty and get a nice big vehicle instead of a Quanto (neither here, nor there) and plonk it just next to Duster. Maybe the top end being between the Duster and Yeti can make us scream.

I dont want a no frills or par frills vehicle. I would like it to have been a premium vehicle. Now i have decided to upgrade my Fusion to Fusion self upgrade. Cant see the Ecosport beat the Fusion yet. This is just my take
subraiyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:26   #431
BHPian

I feel FORD should learn a thing or two from HONDA , I mean look at the way they are promoting the Amaze , its all over the place within 2 days. Nobody seemed to talk much about it earlier but it already looks like a quality product from Honda after reading GTO's review. I am a Ford fan myself but it's kind of scary to read first impressions of the much awaited ecosport. Some issues are too basic such as not having cover to the engine from the top or from the bottom. The gap in the parcel tray etc. shakes my confidence. From the pics the quality of amaza looks far ahead of ecosport. I understand that they are totally different cars but still people may consider both due to small footprint of both the cars. I think I will have to give a second thought to my decision of buying the ecosport right on the day of it's launch as i feel my fiesta 1.6 SXI possiblyhas better interiors and space. Now I think i ll have to wait and watch the car for at least 6 months after it's launch. This can really take me in a state of depression as i have been waiting for the ecosport for so long.

:-(

regards
Amol
amolathalye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:31   #432
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please do not use difficult-to-follow acronyms for car names, e.g. ES for the EcoSport. This is against our forum rules.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:52   #433
BHPian

EcoSport is more Fiesta hatch on stilts, boot space and interior room much more in Amaze.

But equipment in Top variant, ingress & egress, Ground Clearance and sophisticated butch looks is what's going for EcoSport.

Even If they price it 1 lac more than C1 sedans, people in urban setups would prefer the sedans. B1 hatch owners, first car buyers will prefer sedan.

A little bit rural setups make the UV 1st choice... not to exclude, existing sedan & premium hatch owners like DZire / Polo / i20 who will look at this UV as a cheap "Upgrade". Amaze may not provide an upgrade feeling!

Also, lots of women, trendy youngsters liked the EcoSport during the initial showcase...the C1 sedan segment though it's completely average conservative male traditional rational buyer driven!

Last edited by spinfreak : 2nd April 2013 at 21:54.
Old 2nd April 2013, 22:01   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Absolutely. High seating, high view from the car, just walking, not crawling into the car will always be in the wish list for current sedan/hatch owners.
It depends. I think that would open up a different debate on Sedan vs SUVs. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.
I have checked ingress and egress for EcoSport. It wasn't all that great considering its height. Especially, with higher driver seat, getting in was difficult for 5'10. Also, to get suv like view you have to keep the seat at higher position. Same was observed with Duster too.
Yes, for people like me who like to see a SUV like car in their garage (with in an entry level sedan budget?), this might be a good choice.

If I further compare EcoSport and Duster,
- Duster's front design allures classic SUV design lovers (front butch grill design), where as EcoSport has got outlandish looks
- Duster got better boot space
- In case of EcoSport one need to allow good space in the rear to open the rear door (boot lid opening side outwards)
- Spare Tyre mounted on Rear door though gives a nice SUV look, I feel it comes with issues aswell. Like Tata Safari, rear door might develop rattling over a period of time due to weight of Tyre on hinges. Time only would tell.

However, I think once the pricing details for EcoSport comes out, a lot comparison scales may change. Somewhere in the corner of my heart, I feel 1.0L EcoSport would knock Duster petrol out of equation (out of world also), with safety, competitive power and pricing.
Old 2nd April 2013, 22:28   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Seriously Ford, what is the USP of this vehicle.

1. 4 occupants only - Throw the fifth one out ??
Ford is not barring you from accommodating a 5th occupant. If you see all the cars available in the estimated price range then barring a few, none can comfortably seat 5 people. The person in the middle is always in a state of compromise .

Quote:
2. 1litre ecoboost engine. Kitna deti hai is our question
The ecoboost engine is know to be to superior than the 1.6 in every way. Infact it is said to be 18% more fuel efficient than the 1.6. So not only does one get the excise benefits, one gets more power, more torque and better mileage.

Quote:
3. Interior quality - Less said the better, after visit to Mantri. Storme class only i guess
The car that has been displayed has been confirmed to be a pre-production car. I agree this is not a wise move from Ford to display a pre-production car to mass public but i suppose the final product would have better interiors.

Quote:
4. Mini SUV - With the indian mind set on value for money and the Amaze just around the corner, - Honda comes with a big danda
If you would look at the sales chart then it would be apparently clear that the Indian public is inherently more affectionate towards SUV/MUV's. The recent success of Ertiga/Duster/XUV etc are a testimony to this fact.

What the Ecosport does is provide a bigger car feel in a price range where all one gets is a sedan/hatch-back. This is one of its biggest USP!!

Regarding the competition from Amaze, amaze is a great product and it will surely impact the sales of Eco-sport but to what extent is the question. The threat of eating up sales has always been there from the likes of Dezire, however these segments are way different. And only sales figures will tell which is the car that people prefer more.

Quote:
5. Water wading - I would prefer a 4X4 instead of urban SUV
The thing with the eco-sport is that it is not a traditional SUV !! . It is an urban commuter which can handel rough roads as well . I certainly do not see the duster fairing any better, or for that matter even the likes of Scorpio/Safari(4x2 for obvious reasons) doing any better in similar terrain.

Quote:
6. Sub 4 meter - what boot space, what luggage, what car
Another big UPS of the ecosport, its sub 4 meter frame. This makes more affordable due to lesser excise duty. Also regarding boot space etc, this is what one expects in a <4m car.

Quote:
To me, Ford does not have a USP on this vehicle. After seeing it in the flesh, barring the outer design shell, i dont see any reason to jump up for joy. I would have preferred if this was a bit roomier, forget the excise duty and get a nice big vehicle instead of a Quanto (neither here, nor there) and plonk it just next to Duster. Maybe the top end being between the Duster and Yeti can make us scream.

I dont want a no frills or par frills vehicle. I would like it to have been a premium vehicle. Now i have decided to upgrade my Fusion to Fusion self upgrade. Cant see the Ecosport beat the Fusion yet. This is just my take
To me, the Ford has way more USP's than the Duster . The Duster for me is a vehicle that is neither here nor there. It is enjoying the benefits of starting a new segment in the Indian Automobile sector, however for how long would it enjoy the same is the question. After the recent price hike, the duster base diesel starts at 8.7 LAKHS ex showroom, this is MORE than the starting price of scorpio i.e. 7.9 L ex-showroom and the safari at 8.0 lakhs ex-showroom (this is barring the discounts which are in the range of 50+K).
Also the duster is 4315mm in length, which does not make it all that big and butch.

The ecosport is an affordable urban SUV, made for the mass market. IT is not a niche product that would have a low range gearbox, gizmos to the core etc.
It does not promise you the world, but (hopefully) would deliver more than what meets the eye.

Last edited by Enigmatic : 2nd April 2013 at 22:33.
Enigmatic is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread