Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd April 2013, 23:36   #436
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
It does not promise you the world, but (hopefully) would deliver more than what meets the eye.
And me too a HUGE transformer's fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbshankar View Post
Can Ford afFord to price it under 6L without compromising on safety features?
Now that, my friend, is asking for too much. 1st its a global product(unlike FIGO which is barely for developing nations now) and mind you we are not talking about a plain-jane engine here. Its the ecoboost(a turbocharged fuel efficient heart). On top of that plonking in the safety features, I dont see any chance of it being anything under 8L OTR bangalore(even this seems unrealistic after the new Fiesta, but hope they have learnt a lesson).

What I feel FORD would best do is price the variants like other manufacturers do and keep safety features as an option to all the variants. That would be the win-win situation. A ~6.59/6.99(gawd!!! 1k diff does wonders) for base variant and 30-40k premium for safety features henceforth.

Just my 2 cents!!!
Old 2nd April 2013, 23:37   #437
BHPian

After waiting for long time for the Ecosport launch, Im totally disappointed with the final product. I dont mind spending 1 or 2 lacks extra for a better cross over. But this turned out to be a mediocre hatchback sitting on stilts. Ford is trying to do a Figo here, but why they want to make it less than a comfortable vehicle.

Roomier interior is very critical and people who purchase a honda city /innova/verna knows what i mean. It is more breathier and can accomodate a family without much suffocation of space. Almost every one who saw this vehicle has commented about rear space issue and boot space.
What was Ford thinking when they designed ? Ertiga sells because of the same reason : more roomier. Innova sells ...and the new Evalio also is good in space ..

The dashboard is one generation behind I may say. What are we trying to decipher from a 5 inch display ?

One of the comment was about the visibility blocked by thick A pillar. Another interesting thing is the very much thick (puffed) doors which finally made the interior width very less, eventhough exterior dimensions are better than indica. So, only2.5 people can be accomodated at rear.

There is no boot space eventhough spare tyre is outside. What is the mechanism in place to prevent rattles over a period ?

If you guys dont understand what is lacking here, have a look at another similar mini SUV, Cheverlot trax and see how different it is.

Nobody wanted an ultra cheap mini SUV, but one that we can hold to for say atleast 5 years and still be good going like the CRVs.. I may wait for next upgrade ecosport or the new comers around the corner ...

HG
Old 3rd April 2013, 00:07   #438
BHPian

Too many extreme opinions on the Ecosport. This is another vehicle which deserves an official review from GTO or the likes.

Cannot form an opinion wihtout that, and yes the middle-class question - how is it it priced? Lets wait and see. (Ford: The suspense is just killing us).
Old 3rd April 2013, 04:07   #439
BHPian

Though a little off topic, I wanted to bring the 2013 Buick Encore/ Opel Mokka into the picture. The Ecosport and the Encore are different in all respects except that they both are subcompact SUVs.
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-2013encoreexterior8870x329.jpg
It is 4280 mm in length without the spare wheel, so misses our 4m benchmark, but otherwise looks every bit like what a subcompact SUV should be.

PS: I dont see the Team-BHP watermark on the image, does it need to be inserted separately?
Sanjunair5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 04:47   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 View Post
Though a little off topic, I wanted to bring the 2013 Buick Encore/ Opel Mokka into the picture.
If chevy can build them locally, these can be competitively priced against the Ecosports and the Dusters of the world. I guess the Encore costs 20k to 30k USD in the US?
Old 3rd April 2013, 05:56   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
If chevy can build them locally, these can be competitively priced against the Ecosports and the Dusters of the world. I guess the Encore costs 20k to 30k USD in the US?
Traditionally Buick has rebadged Opels as Buicks for the US market. Chevys have been rebadged as Pontiacs/Saturns/GMCs in US but not as Buicks, Buick being a more premium/luxury brand. So it is unlikely that Chevy will build this in India.
Old 3rd April 2013, 07:20   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 View Post
Though a little off topic, I wanted to bring the 2013 Buick Encore/ Opel Mokka into the picture. The Ecosport and the Encore are different in all respects except that they both are subcompact SUVs.

It is 4280 mm in length without the spare wheel, so misses our 4m benchmark, but otherwise looks every bit like what a subcompact SUV should be.
OT: Opel Mokka is indeed a compact SUV but it should be in the range of Skoda Yeti or Ford Kuga, and segment above the Ecosport.
Old 3rd April 2013, 08:06   #443
M35
BHPian

Buick Encore is very common here in China.Its similar to Ecosport in dimensions but heavier and more expensive than the latter.

Ecosport is expected to be a direct rival for Encore in China.You can compare with detailed pictures,both Encore and Ecosport with respect to every single aspect including price.

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-fordecosport001.jpg

Name:  shanghaigmbuickencore001.jpg
Views: 3261
Size:  92.6 KB

Name:  shanghaigmbuickencore006.jpg
Views: 3176
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  fordecosport031.jpg
Views: 3080
Size:  244.8 KB

Pic source: Chinaautoweb.com
M35 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 08:54   #444
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
how can you say that.
With 4280m length, encore will already attract 10% more excise and can never be cheaper than ecsport.
and moreover what so special about encore when we know nothing about it.
Manufacturers make subtle changes to car interiors and exterior to adapt it to local preffrences and price expectations.
The ecosport shown in geneva last month was having more premium interiors and was more feature rich as compared to indian counter parts.
And what so hooplah about hatchback on stilts. Even duster is technically same, monocoque FWD crossover/ hatchback on stilts.
If anybody wants mud plugging and better articulation better go for BOF SUV but then people complain of body roll and less mileage.
Monocoque crossovers are good for bad roads and mild off road with imposing stance added good dynamics and fuel efficiency. We people dont know our priorities.
Ford only has to price it right to get it going.
Dr.Abhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 09:15   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
You can compare with detailed pictures,both Encore and Ecosport with respect to every single aspect including price.
That's very useful, thank you.

Its interesting to see the specs of the various variants, since we can expect something similar here (maybe not the sunroof).

What's even more interesting is the pricing, where the EcoBoost Titanium is pricier than the 1.5L petrol Titanium; and is only cheaper than the 1.5L petrol autobox Titanium. That is the price of the EcoBoost technology (probably recouping R&D costs too!).

I wonder how the pricing will work out in India, and whether the small car slab will be enough to offset the EcoBoost premium.

A small point, but why is the EcoBoost torque of 170 Nm coming in at 1500 rpm, I thought it was 1300 rpm?
Old 3rd April 2013, 09:41   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Too many extreme opinions on the Ecosport. This is another vehicle which deserves an official review from GTO or the likes.
to the official review from TBHP. Is there any word on timeline for reviews on the EcoSport? Assuming the May-end/early-June release that seems to be the consensus, we should be getting official reviews out early-May, i'm assuming?
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:06   #447
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
That's very useful, thank you.
A small point, but why is the EcoBoost torque of 170 Nm coming in at 1500 rpm, I thought it was 1300 rpm?
The official Ford china website confirms 170Nm/1500-4500rpm for 1.0L Ecoboost GTDi engine.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:50   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeguy View Post
After waiting for long time for the Ecosport launch, Im totally disappointed with the final product. I dont mind spending 1 or 2 lacks extra for a better cross over. But this turned out to be a mediocre hatchback sitting on stilts. Ford is trying to do a Figo here, but why they want to make it less than a comfortable vehicle.

Roomier interior is very critical and people who purchase a honda city /innova/verna knows what i mean. It is more breathier and can accomodate a family without much suffocation of space. Almost every one who saw this vehicle has commented about rear space issue and boot space.
What was Ford thinking when they designed ? Ertiga sells because of the same reason : more roomier. Innova sells ...and the new Evalio also is good in space ..

The dashboard is one generation behind I may say. What are we trying to decipher from a 5 inch display ?

One of the comment was about the visibility blocked by thick A pillar. Another interesting thing is the very much thick (puffed) doors which finally made the interior width very less, eventhough exterior dimensions are better than indica. So, only2.5 people can be accomodated at rear.

There is no boot space eventhough spare tyre is outside. What is the mechanism in place to prevent rattles over a period ?

If you guys dont understand what is lacking here, have a look at another similar mini SUV, Cheverlot trax and see how different it is.

Nobody wanted an ultra cheap mini SUV, but one that we can hold to for say atleast 5 years and still be good going like the CRVs.. I may wait for next upgrade ecosport or the new comers around the corner ...

HG
I think exteriors designed by Ford and interiors by Honda would have been an ideal solution. Look at the way Honda manages to pack the interiors of its car which is true to their theme of "Man maximum Machine minimum".

I am Amazed to see how Honda has managed to deliver a 400 litre boot with leg room more than Dzire in its upcoming Amaze. Thin yet comfortable front seats with a scooped out seat-back creates that extra leg room. Even the packaging of engine has helped create extra space inside the car.

In case of EcoSport I think there is too much wastage. While the car is large, too much space is wasted to accommodate engine, thick doors, large dash, resulting in less space.

No easy fix for this.
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:27   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
The ecosport is an affordable urban SUV, made for the mass market. IT is not a niche product that would have a low range gearbox, gizmos to the core etc.
It does not promise you the world, but (hopefully) would deliver more than what meets the eye.
Cant put it better than this. We Indians are very hard to be satisfied, We need a sub 4m suv with 7 passenger capacity with 500+ boot, car like driveability with high GC and powerful engine with best fuel efficiency and be priced from 5 Lakhs. Full bonnet view but should be aero dynamic. Top notch quality of interiors with auto climate blah blah... It will keep on going...

We just have to understand that EcoSport is an all rounder who is "jack of all but king of none". It does all the basic requirements of ours to a possible level of satisfaction.

A simple example: Last week, when we travelled in a "in progress" Highway... We saw a linea zipping pass every vehicle. My heart was aching for a car. With limited ride quality of scorpio, i had to continue my sedate driving. But with in few minutes, we saw him struck on the broken roads where he has to drive slowly to avoid getting his linea belly scrapped. And I passed him effortlessly with a big smile.

This is where we fit ecosport or duster. They help you enjoy the drive with good ride quality and handle these day to day usual broken roads and water logging areas of our neighbourhood.
klassics45 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:43   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post

In case of EcoSport I think there is too much wastage. While the car is large, too much space is wasted to accommodate engine, thick doors, large dash, resulting in less space.
This is a bit subjective. I find the thin seats with fixed integrated headrests in Honda Amaze really cheap looking, rather like an autorickshaw seat. In fact this and other optimization elements achieved by reducing the mass, thickness and sturdiness of the body of the Amaze, just to liberate space, to be a deal breaker for me. Honda has taken a "space maximum, elegance and strength minimum" approach here.

To me, a car is not just about utility and transportation but also tradition, aesthetic refinement and being built to last. Honda will never be able to sell this car in US or Europe, where there is a minimum expectation of build strength and durability. However Ecosport is a global car that will be sold in over a 100 countries, so one can assume certain standards of build quality have not been compromised, a good wxample is the strong and heavily built doors.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread