Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 4th April 2013, 22:37   #466
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Want more space? get a bigger car. You can't create space without compromising on something else, be it safety, comfort or reliability. Ford is known for its driving dynamics. Rather than asking Ford to learn from Honda, if you like the Honda way of packaging, you should go with Honda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Well said. I see some meanigless criticisms here against the car. I think some people want to buy a car that looks like Ferrari, seats like Innova, has a ground clearance of Hummer, provides safety of a battle-tank, sips fuel like a 100 cc motorcycle and costs as much as a Nano. They can keep waiting all their lives to buy a car.
Ford's own Fusion was spacious enough and it is not totally unreasonable to expect the new generation car to equal that (if not better it). Fusion owners who have seen the EcoSport can comment better. But I think EcoSprt has little more boot space (against the 335 ltrs of Fusion)?
Old 4th April 2013, 23:40   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Want more space? get a bigger car. You can't create space without compromising on something else, be it safety, comfort or reliability. Ford is known for its driving dynamics. Rather than asking Ford to learn from Honda, if you like the Honda way of packaging, you should go with Honda.
Well, I have used Ford Fusion for a couple of years. Hence, when I saw the new Ecosport coming, I thought of an upgrade. that is why I discussed on space management. I went ot Mantri mall and experinced it. Ford fusion was also a world car and I could still see it in some of the European roads also. The boot space and leg space is well managed within similar dimensions. The price is well below and comes in similar segment, infact it was a cheap cross over.

When we say world car, we should see similar specs everywhere right ? For putting it under a lower price here, they even touched the dashboard , it is better quality and texture in other markets. In chinese market, they increased the leg space like a sedan to make it more comfortable for passengers. The seats are 3 way adjustable in the Brazil version .
No where Im seeing mention of traction control. Hence, it is not the same spec everywhere for a global car. So, is the driving dynamics of chinese version bad when compared to Indian ?

The point here was, there was no need of heavy cost cutting. They shouldnt have thought of making a Figo story again.

HG
humveeguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 23:44   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak View Post
made a passing remark about my Amaze booking. He said "That's why I called Sir". Boy, a yet to be launched car worried about the sedan puppy of Honda!
Amaze and EcoSport will be in the same C1 segment. They are direct competitors.
Old 5th April 2013, 00:04   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeguy View Post
Well, I have used Ford Fusion for a couple of years. Hence, when I saw the new Ecosport coming, I thought of an upgrade. that is why I discussed on space management. I went ot Mantri mall and experinced it. Ford fusion was also a world car and I could still see it in some of the European roads also. The boot space and leg space is well managed within similar dimensions. The price is well below and comes in similar segment, infact it was a cheap cross over.

When we say world car, we should see similar specs everywhere right ? For putting it under a lower price here, they even touched the dashboard , it is better quality and texture in other markets. In chinese market, they increased the leg space like a sedan to make it more comfortable for passengers. The seats are 3 way adjustable in the Brazil version .
No where Im seeing mention of traction control. Hence, it is not the same spec everywhere for a global car. So, is the driving dynamics of chinese version bad when compared to Indian ?

The point here was, there was no need of heavy cost cutting. They shouldnt have thought of making a Figo story again.

HG
Oh, I too am dead against mindless cost-cutting. Looking at the pics I understand that they have taken it a bit too far to be called a quality automobile.

Where I disagree with you is on the space part. I do not know whether Ecosport is a global replacement for the Fusion, and my understanding was that they are two different classes of vehicles. Honda goes to extremes to liberate interior space. You can have better space at the rear by having upright seats, more width by having thinner doors, more legroom by reducing the bonnet length etc. There is no free lunch and more space come at a price. Comfort, reliability, safety etc.

Just like we don't expect Mercs to give us Alto equivalents, lets not expect Ford to give us Amazes. I want the Ecosport to be a thorough Ford. A quality car that is Fun-to-drive.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 10:21   #470
BHPian

Quote:
I disagree but you are entitled to have your own view. At end of the day, a car manufacturer is competing with other cars in the same segment or in the same price band.

Remember how Nokia was adamant enough not to move away from feature phones and focus on smart phones. While customers at that time did not complain, it was Nokia at end of the day which lost out to Samsung.

Also, you will remember that 15 years back Nokia used to offer one model which had camera, other which had radio, third which had bluetooth, fourth which had browsing, but they never launched one phone which had everything. This despite the fact that consumers wanted all of the features or at least most of them in one phone.

Times have changed and now you cant imagine a phone without these basic features.

Similarly, Ford can continue to focus on driving dynamics and ignore packaging but at the heart of all this there are consumers who are increasingly demanding. They want good packaging, safety features, reliability, service, fuel efficiency, etc. in the same car.

Company which adapts itself to changing demand will succeed in the long run.

Last edited by damager21 : 5th April 2013 at 10:24.
Old 5th April 2013, 10:47   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Similarly, Ford can continue to focus on driving dynamics and ignore packaging but at the heart of all this there are consumers who are increasingly demanding. They want good packaging, safety features, reliability, service, fuel efficiency, etc. in the same car.

Ford still has focus on driving dynamics and convenience, the steering on the new Fiesta is proof of that. I disagree with the safety aspect, the Fiesta has a standard safety kit and pricing is off the charts precisely because of that.
Look at the number of Swifts on the road without any safety equipment, they outnumber the Z version, even the old V versions with ABS are rare. Honda had to compromise the safety kit for the lower Brio variant, helping them to sell much more - this, after announcing that safety would no longer be optional. Every car maker in India keeps safety for top end models and its the first thing a majority of car buyers will compromise on.
Old 5th April 2013, 11:04   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
They want good packaging, safety features, reliability, service, fuel efficiency, etc. in the same car.
If you want more space without compromising on other aspects, then you should be looking at a bigger car. Anything else is a compromise.
Quote:
If every car maker thought like that we would have had only dZires on our roads. But thankfully, not everybody loves mediocrity.

Last edited by civic-sense : 5th April 2013 at 11:10.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 12:11   #473
Senior - BHPian

The EcoSport is on display at LuLu mall, Kochi from today till 7th April. Can we hear some feedback and pictures from our Kochi BHPians please
Old 5th April 2013, 12:14   #474
BHPian

Ecosport being revealed along with the urban discovery campaign as I look on. Media specially invited. On display from 1030 till 2000 till Sunday.

Looks amazing, to say the least
Old 5th April 2013, 12:24   #475
BHPian

I think it's easier for Honda to achieve better dynamics, Ford to achieve better packaging means changing vehicle platforms. In their endeavor to achieve better economy, Honda ignore the tires and gc and dynamics a little bit. Ford in their endeavor to be in line with DNA of great dynamics, forget packaging.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:58   #476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The EcoSport is on display at LuLu mall, Kochi from today till 7th April. Can we hear some feedback and pictures from our Kochi BHPians please
Many of us are going to see the car (although am not sure). Can expect the pics soon. BTW, here's one pic of the Ecosport on display at Lulu mall.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-883958_506689076034589_1120077070_o.jpg  

Last edited by naveen.raju : 5th April 2013 at 13:00.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 14:10   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I am in Ludhiana and it is on display here today. Will go there late afternoon and to get a good look. I will surely try to post unbiased opinion here but I suppose in terms of pictures, there isn't much left to put here. But I will try to get any new detail that I find.

In the meanwhile you can look at this
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post

A few good sets of pics of the car that I found across the InterWeb.

Ford EcoSport: Exploring the interiors

India Spec EcoSport Revealed
Old 5th April 2013, 14:15   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Ford's own Fusion was spacious enough and it is not totally unreasonable to expect the new generation car to equal that (if not better it). Fusion owners who have seen the EcoSport can comment better. But I think EcoSprt has little more boot space (against the 335 ltrs of Fusion)?
Don't go by the space in liters, as it is very deceptive. In the Ecosport the shape of the bootspace is very triangular, like a typical hatchback like I10/ Ritz and this limits the usable space. Whereas in the Fusion, the boot is rectangular and there is a good amount of space over the parcel shelf. The Fusion probably has 500L+ space without the parcel shelf in place. Whereas in the Ecoport it will not be more than 400L and the shape will be very triangular.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 16:39   #479
BHPian

Posting some pictures from the ecosport display at LuLu Mall Kochi. With so many pictures floating around of ecosport, I dont think this would have any value addition. However, some more pics to the collection wouldn't hurt either.

The vehicle on display was the orange ecosport donning the ecoboost engine. After the unveiling, the first one hour was ear marked only for the media and the others had to wait outside the barricade.

The fit and finish seemed quite supreme and did not look the abused piece as was reported by brother Bhpians earlier. Probably, Ford did some polish and maintenance work.

It has four airbags and not six (two front and two curtain airbags).

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img_3262-copy.jpg

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img_3264-copy.jpg

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img_3265-copy.jpg

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img_3268-copy.jpg

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img_3269.jpg

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img_3273.jpg

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img_3279.jpg

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img_3280.jpg

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img_3281.jpg

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img_3282.jpg

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img_3284.jpg

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-img_3287.jpg
dhanushmenon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 20:09   #480
Senior - BHPian

It finally happened!!

No I haven't bought it just as yet, I haven't even test driven it. I have only checked it out in a Mall. That is the Magnitude of the hype created by Ford......

Is it worth it?
Probably for some of us..

Reached there at 5:00 PM and a Mars Red EcoSport was welcoming a thin crowd checking it out. I was happy to see this, since it gave me(and my father) to check out the details easily.

The Looks:
Yes, it looks great. The height looks just in between that of an SUV and a Hatch.

Looks good in 3 quarter look. But it is a compact SUV, keep that in mind at all times.

The Paint quality is top notch, there were no LED headlamps(even confirmed by a girl from Ford)

It certainly would have more road presence than a Hatchback and some compact SUV's like the Yeti and dare I say, even Duster, mostly due to its nicely styled and modern exteriors.

The Interiors

The Interiors are nice and certainly better than the nearest competition (The Duster).
The Plastic quality isn't bad. It seems bad at first glance due to the texture of the plastic used on the dashboard. I haven't seen that sort of texture anywhere else.
The build quality is actually pretty good and I believe would be able to stand some abuse.
The Visibilty is good because of the higher seating. But the design of the A-pillar may create a problem at times. My father didn't seem to be worried about this, since he has already experienced such a design in our earlier 2005 Honda City(NHC). The A-pillar design is almost Identical.
Before talking about the Space,as I said earlier, It is a compact sub-4m SUV.
My father(5'11") adjusted the driver seat for himself and I (6') could sit in the back with a quarter of an inch space between my knees and the front seat. I was comfortable and that is also something to do with the seats. They were very comfortable. The under-thigh support was better than average and though you can't stretch your legs, you can make a long journey with 6 footer back to back.
The Seats also have adjustable recline in 60:40 ratio. There is also a 12V power outlet at the back.

The Sales person promised about 6 airbags. But the car on display didn't seem to have them. The AIRBAG marking was no where to be found on the B-pillar.

This car certainly belongs to the C1 segment. The space is Swift/i20 class, It looks good and hopefully drives great(It is a Ford after all). I believe the Duster should also belong in the C1 segment. As I see it, the only thing that puts these two cars in the C2 segment is their Kerb weight. Consider it as an alternative to a Dzire and you have a great car, but try pitting it against the City, you would feel a little shortchanged stepping into the EcoSport. But I believe this should also reflect in the pricing.

As I see it, The EcoSport should be priced in line with the Amaze/DZire segment.
It would kill the Duster sales by quite a large margin, because the way I see it, the only real advantage the Duster has is its larger Boot( By about 150 L)

People checking out the car had mixed opinion. One of them remarked it to be a half a size bigger than swift and that he wont pay more than 7.5 lakh for the Diesel(Base).
Another person (who asked me about the pricing) couldn't believe that it would only cost as low as 7-8 lakhs.
agambhandari is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread