Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 5th April 2013, 22:40   #481
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Is it the same car that is being displayed everywhere? Can somebody check out the VIN and confirm?

This is the VIN of the car displaced in Delhi between 15 to 17 of March, 2013:

Name:  VIN.PNG
Views: 5002
Size:  315.4 KB

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 5th April 2013 at 22:45.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 22:43   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
It finally happened!!

The Seats also have adjustable recline in 60:40 ratio. There is also a 12V power outlet at the back.

The Sales person promised about 6 airbags. But the car on display didn't seem to have them. The AIRBAG marking was no where to be found on the B-pillar.

Thanks for the detailed story. Could you please confirm :

Does the rear seats comes with recline adjustment ?
How is the rear visibility from the driver seat ?

HG
Old 5th April 2013, 22:53   #483
BHPian

Smile Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The EcoSport is on display at LuLu mall, Kochi from today till 7th April. Can we hear some feedback and pictures from our Kochi BHPians please
Me with fellow BHPian Mistakenguy went to Lulu mall and saw the car in flesh. This is probably the same batch of pre-production cars that are on display at other cities across India. As reported by other members here, the car looks macho upfront although I think there is an overdose of chrome. It doesn't feel small from the front. As you move towards the side, you come to know that its a small SUV. Rear portion is also well designed and the spare wheel mounted on tailgate helps it in giving the 'SUV' look. Boot is easy to open and with hydraulic struts, it doesn't feel heavy(thanks to Mistakenguy for pointing this out).

Interiors have a good amount of space. With the front driver seat pushed all the way back, there was a fair amount of legroom left for Mistakenguy who was sitting in the backseat. There is no center armrest though.

The plastic quality is not the best, but that's excused for this pre-production model. Overall, it feels well screwed together and they only lacked in premium feel.

Couldn't notice any DRL's in the headlamp unit even when another person switched on the lights.
BigBrad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 23:19   #484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It would kill the Duster sales by quite a large margin, because the way I see it, the only real advantage the Duster has is its larger Boot( By about 150 L)
Ecosport will sell big time for folks who are also not bothered for rear seat space apart from the boot. As you said. if some one is looking at I20/Swift, he would be definitely happy with this offering. Throw in a requirement of more space, the equation changes. Its all a question of from which direction one is approaching this product.

I do agree sales of Duster would get effected, but I think both will hold on to their own. Ecosport sales will come from folks targeting premium hatches (and to a lesser extent entry level sedans). However this can happen only when Ford prices it in that segment. If they get into Duster pricing it may take a serious hit due to lack of space (rear and boot).

A case in point: I myself was waiting for Ecosport. Being a Fusion owner, this was a natural step for me. But I realised it would not be an upgrade for me in terms of space compared to my Fusion. So I left it there and went with Duster.

Last edited by ampere : 5th April 2013 at 23:36.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 06:26   #485
BHPian

Rear seat armrest is missed, but driver gets an armrest. It's typically FORD. Driver oriented : great exterior stance, good driving dynamics, but toss packaging out of the window.

Rear seats with adjustable recline? Totally missed that. How? Afaik the seat folding was also not very smooth in these pre-prod vehicles.
Old 6th April 2013, 07:03   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My father(5'11") adjusted the driver seat for himself and I (6') could sit in the back with a quarter of an inch space between my knees and the front seat. I was comfortable and that is also something to do with the seats. They were very comfortable. The under-thigh support was better than average and though you can't stretch your legs, you can make a long journey with 6 footer back to back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Ecosport will sell big time for folks who are also not bothered for rear seat space apart from the boot.
ampere, wanted to check out if you have take a look at the car...agambhandari's statement looks like it has good rear seating space, hence the question. BTW,

@agambhandari
Will the rear seats can accommodate 3 persons comfortably (medium built)....any disturbing humps on the middle row making the life difficult for the person sitting in the center at rear
Old 6th April 2013, 08:32   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A case in point: I myself was waiting for Ecosport. Being a Fusion owner, this was a natural step for me. But I realised it would not be an upgrade for me in terms of space compared to my Fusion. So I left it there and went with Duster.
OT: Amp, I did not know that you settled for the Duster. Congratulations!
Do you have an ownership thread running?
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 08:45   #488
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
ampere, wanted to check out if you have take a look at the car...agambhandari's statement looks like it has good rear seating space, hence the question. BTW,

@agambhandari
Will the rear seats can accommodate 3 persons comfortably (medium built)....any disturbing humps on the middle row making the life difficult for the person sitting in the center at rear
Yes, in fact when I(& a ford salesperson) was sitting in the rear passenger seat, another person came in to check out the space for three.
I sat in the middle and it wasn't that bad. All three of us were of medium built The floor hump isn't disturbing.
The width is just enough for three. You will certainly rub shoulders with your fellow passengers, but none of you would be uncomfortable.
Also the middle seat is level with the rest of the rear seat unlike in most sedans these days. Also as there is no armrest, the back is also not that hard.

The Space is decent. You won't be gloating about the Space but it should be good for most of us. I suppose many people could find it smaller than actual due to the Black interior scheme and the high window line which may give them a cooped up feeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Is it the same car that is being displayed everywhere? Can somebody check out the VIN and confirm?

This is the VIN of the car displaced in Delhi between 15 to 17 of March, 2013:
Dude, wish you had put this up yesterday. I could have checked it out.

But I believe there are 2 cars which they are taking around the country.
The One that I saw was most probably from Delhi because;
-The Car went from Delhi->Gurgaon and then it most probably came to CHandigarh->Ludhiana.
-The back of the Rear seats looked like this
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-fordecosport35.jpg
and not like that of the Mumbai Version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeguy View Post
Thanks for the detailed story. Could you please confirm :

Does the rear seats comes with recline adjustment ?
How is the rear visibility from the driver seat ?

HG
For the reclining seats, read below.
I can't tell much about the rear visibility. People were constantly opening the boot and there wasn't much to see at the back! But I believe it would come with Parking sensors with a visual indicator, so that would be very helpful.
BTW, use the 'Thanks' function to thank Bhpians

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak View Post

Rear seats with adjustable recline? Totally missed that. How? Afaik the seat folding was also not very smooth in these pre-prod vehicles.
Yes, the Rear seat incline is operated by the same lever(it is actually a Nylon pulling grip) which folds the seats, but it has a few steps for incline adjustment as well.
When I sat in the vehicle, at first I found the seating to be too laid back, so I made it upright. BUt when my Father sat in the same seat, he wanted to revert it to the earlier position. So I guess this feature is quite useful and will help the user to customize the seating according to his/her wishes.
The Mechanism, though smooth isn't very easy to use if you are already sitting on the seat and want to make it more upright. To do this, you have to actually pull the seatback towards yourself.

Last edited by agambhandari : 6th April 2013 at 09:06.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 09:55   #489
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Quote:
Yes, in fact when I(& a ford salesperson) was sitting in the rear passenger seat, another person came in to check out the space for three.
I sat in the middle and it wasn't that bad. All three of us were of medium built The floor hump isn't disturbing.
The width is just enough for three. You will certainly rub shoulders with your fellow passengers, but none of you would be uncomfortable.
Also the middle seat is level with the rest of the rear seat unlike in most sedans these days. Also as there is no armrest, the back is also not that hard.

The Space is decent. You won't be gloating about the Space but it should be good for most of us. I suppose many people could find it smaller than actual due to the Black interior scheme and the high window line which may give them a cooped up feeling.
I did not check out the car in person. I could only estimate the space based on its length.

What @Agam said is true. You would get good seating. It would be I think the way you would feel in Jazz. But given its less 4m, I was not sure how much more space I would get compared to Fusion. Add to it the fact of swooping headlines. That would make the perception of space even lower. In the end I was not sure, if I would get a fatigue free long distance ride for the fellow passengers. I knew for sure, I would be beaming in the driver's seat of an Ecosport. (I was a happy Fusion guy for 7 years). The question was how the guys in the back seat would take it. Thats the point which made my decision. (And of course a bigger boot).

I may be wrong, but thats how I read the puzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Amp, I did not know that you settled for the Duster. Congratulations! Do you have an ownership thread running?
Thanks vb-san. Now ownership log yet. Should be putting up some time soon.
Have done more than 10K and it sure feels fatigue free.

Last edited by ampere : 6th April 2013 at 09:57.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 10:01   #490
BHPian

The only reason I could see for the delay is the Excise Duty...

At less than 4m length (excluding the spare wheel), 1L ecoboost, 1.5L Duratorq, this would easily qualify for a Small Car definition - 12% Excise Duty.

But with Ground Clearance of 200mm it should be categorized as an SUV - 30% Excise Duty.

Now the difference in ED is Rs. 18000/- per Lakh. For a commodity price say, of 4Lakhs approx (just an assumption), the additional excise duty would be Rs. 72,000/-.

This would be the dilemma at Ford, bite the bullet and sell the Ecosport as SUV with almost One Lakh higher than premium hatchbacks or to look at reduced Ground Clearance to meet the small car definition.

Option 2 would be very difficult now e.g. developing an underbody cladding to bring the GC down, so I guess they would look to get some clarity for this vehicle from government.
Old 6th April 2013, 11:51   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajess_in View Post

At less than 4m length (excluding the spare wheel), 1L ecoboost, 1.5L Duratorq, this would easily qualify for a Small Car definition - 12% Excise Duty.

But with Ground Clearance of 200mm it should be categorized as an SUV - 30% Excise Duty.

Now the difference in ED is Rs. 18000/- per Lakh. For a commodity price say, of 4Lakhs approx (just an assumption), the additional excise duty would be Rs. 72,000/-.

This would be the dilemma at Ford, bite the bullet and sell the Ecosport as SUV with almost One Lakh higher than premium hatchbacks or to look at reduced Ground Clearance to meet the small car definition.

Option 2 would be very difficult now e.g. developing an underbody cladding to bring the GC down, so I guess they would look to get some clarity for this vehicle from government.
To be classified as an SUV, the vehicle needs GC over 170mm, length more than 4m and engine size over 1500cc.

The larger petrol engine won't come in the small car bracket though (1200cc limit for petrol cars) and will attract 24% excise duty instead of 12%
Old 6th April 2013, 12:00   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajess_in View Post

To be classified as an SUV, the car should be meeting all the criteria. Having GC more than 170 mm alone will not escalate the Ecosport to SUV category.

Being less than 4 m and the engine less than 1.2 for petrol and 1.5 for diesel will qualify it as a small car and it will be sold with excise duties of small car only
Old 6th April 2013, 12:10   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post

To be classified as an SUV, the car should be meeting all the criteria. Having GC more than 170 mm alone will not escalate the Ecosport to SUV category.

Being less than 4 m and the engine less than 1.2 for petrol and 1.5 for diesel will qualify it as a small car and it will be sold with excise duties of small car only
+1 I think there must be more clauses as to how a car is qualified as a SUV. Experts could put in their views.

Eco sport has all the works of a hatchback except for its ground clearance. I don't know what is holding ford back on releasing the car. I just hope the finance ministry does not have strict clauses (unlikely) for what qualifies as a SUV. On another note Honda amaze, Ford Eco sport, fiat punto refresh, the Indian car market just got hotter this year.
Old 6th April 2013, 13:00   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the EcoSport in person for the first time today at Lulu Mall.

The launch is 20th of May. This is based on what I heard from a known person from Kairali Ford. Delivery is stated for later.
  • The EcoSport looks great in person. If it had gunmetal instead of all the chrome, it would have looked even more stunning.
  • The overall size is just about what I had in mind.
  • The paint quality looks good. Didn't like the Orange shade though.
  • The plastics are very much the new Fiesta like but in black shade.
  • You can walk in and out of the car. The elders are going to love it.
  • The front seats got side airbags(?). The label was there on both the seats. Not sure about this.
  • The driver seat had adjustable lumbar support and arm rest. Not for the passenger.
  • The front seats are nice and love the design of the head rests.
  • There also a well designed sunglasses holder beside the IRVM.
  • The headlights look classy. No DRL though.
  • The rear seats recline and can be fixed in 2 positions, one upright and one push back. I was not comfortable with both positions though and preferred something in the middle. The width of the seat is nothing great and 3 healthy people will be a very tight fit.
  • The tailgate felt solid with the spare wheel and its got a electromagnetic button on the handle to open.
  • I couldn't see any handle on the inside of the tailgate to close it once its open though.

Overall, I liked what I saw. Now, lets wait for the price and the drive.

Some pics from my mobile with details that I hadn't noticed so far.
The doors are inset towards the bottom exposing a bit of the running board.
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-20130406-11.06.52.jpg
The side airbag?
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-20130406-11.07.21.jpg
The grab type boot cover which will roll back if you let go of the handle.
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-20130406-11.08.20.jpg
The slot to hook the boot cover.
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-20130406-11.08.37.jpg
The boot without the spare had a couple of welded pieces and clamps on both sides.
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-20130406-11.09.02.jpg

PS: Apparently Lulu is charging Ford 3.5L per day for showcasing the car inside the mall.
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-20130406-11.15.27.jpg

Last edited by deetjohn : 6th April 2013 at 13:16. Reason: typo.
deetjohn is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 13:29   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
That final picture makes the EcoSport look like a hatchback (almost like an i10)!
Closed Thread