Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2013, 00:48   #736
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
"You can get an automatic-gearbox-equipped version, but that only comes with the normal 1.5 petrol. There is no diesel version available for the top-spec EcoSport. "

Does this mean that we don't get the Titanium variant for 1.5 TDCI ? If so it is real disappointment ! :(
There is indeed a titanium version for diesel. There only seems to be no Titanium (o)/ plus version with side curtain airbags and start stop system with leather seats for diesel which is reserved for ecoboost.

Source : Autocar website
Old 4th May 2013, 01:45   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Prices for the EcoSport are expected to start at around Rs 7.5 lakh, with the top-end Titanium crossing Rs 12 lakh"

source: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/342...-leaked.aspx/0
Thats almost the new fiesta's price range isn't it, and it didn't work out very well for them. I hope they price it cheaper than the new Fiesta, by atleast 1L variant to variant.
Old 4th May 2013, 10:27   #738
BHPian

Default Ford Ecosport Variants & Engine Options Leaked

Ford will launch its Ecosport in India with a range of trim levels and engine options, according to autocarindia.com. On offer will be four trim levels and three engine options (two Petrol, one Diesel). Pricing is expected to start at Rs 7.5 Lakh, going all the way up to Rs 12 Lakh! Trim levels start off from the base 'Ambiente' moving on to mid-level 'Trend' and top-of-the-line 'Titanium' and 'Titanium Optional' variants. Ford will offer a 1.5 L Petrol engine and 1.5 L Diesel (from the new Fiesta), which churn out 105 BHP and 88.8 BHP respectively.

The bad news is that Ford will offer its turbocharged 1.0 L EcoBoost engine only on the top level 'Titanium' variant. The tiny 3 cylinder EcoBoost generates 123 BHP and 170 Nm of Torque, though the power output for India could be tuned lower.

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-ecosport002.jpg

Trim Levels on the Ford Ecosport

Ford Ecosport 'Ambiente' - Tilt and telescopic steering, front power windows only, power mirrors, multi-function display, music system (with Aux-in, USB and Bluetooth), remote locking, 15" steel rims. No rear parcel tray. Available on 1.5 L Petrol and Diesel (5 speed manual gearbox only).

Ford Ecosport 'Trend' - In addition to 'Ambiente', gets Steering mounted audio controls, rear power windows, drivers seat height adjust and anti lock brakes (ABS). Available on 1.5 L Petrol and Diesel (5 speed manual gearbox only).

Ford Ecosport 'Titanium' - Dual airbags, leather-wrapped steering wheel, climate control, cooled glovebox, 16" alloy wheels, roof rails, front fog lamps and reverse parking sensors. Available with the aforementioned Petrol & Diesel manual transmission engines, as well as the 1.0 L Ecoboost MT, and the 1.5 L Petrol with Ford's 6-speed PowerShift automatic transmission.

Ford Ecosport 'Titanium Option' Pack - Engine options are the same as the 'Titanium' variant. In addition, side and curtain airbags, leather seats, keyless entry and push button start system are included.

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-ecosport014.jpg

The Ecosport is an important launch for Ford which hasn't had a success in India since the launch of its Figo hatchback. Sales of every single Ford model have been on the decline since the beginning of this year. The new Fiesta could not even touch 3 digit sales figures from January to March this year (68, 63 and 98 units respectively). Domestic sales have declined to 4,003 units in April this year, compared to 7,201 units for the same month last year (down 44.41 % YoY).

Related Thread (Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!)

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-ecosport005.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th May 2013 at 11:43.
Redline6800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 11:49   #739
Team-BHP Support

Does the Diesel get a Titanium variant?

If you look at the slide for the "TREND" variant in the brochure...
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-fordecosportdetails3.jpeg

...you'll see that they do not mention any engines! Does this mean it comes without any engine? No.

It says "In addition to Ambiente", which carries over the 1.5L Petrol & Diesel MT engines. So by the same logic, the TITANIUM should also offer the Petrol MT & Diesel MT engines as carried over from the lower variants too...

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-fordecosportdetails4.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
May be, if that is the case why they have mentioned 1.5L in Titanium again?
Because it didn't all fit on one line.
(They had to re-mention the 1.5L Petrol since thats what the 6-Speed DCT is mated to).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th May 2013 at 11:52.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 12:54   #740
BHPian

Ford's MD was saying (http://zeenews.india.com/business/au...ord_75025.html )that ecosport needs to be levied 27% excise and not 30%, does it mean that ecosport is not getting sub 4 meter excise benefit? I understand that only 1.5 diesel and 1 litre ecosport can qualify under the 12% category and not 1.5 litre petrol.

Is that the reason expected price has jumped to Rs 7.5 lacs from Rs 6 lac for the base model?

Last edited by rock75 : 4th May 2013 at 12:56.
Old 4th May 2013, 12:58   #741
Senior - BHPian

All this time it is taking to get this one out, but it seems like Ford has not done basic homework.

If anything but Fiesta's performance is to be seen, Ford should have known where to place this. To top that, the Ecosport also makes it to the small car excise eligibility. The opportunity was only there to loose.

Now looking at a base price of 7.5 for the 1.5 liter petrol versus the 12 lakhs for the top of the line model the Ecoboost would make its appearance in, would it not negate any advantage of the so-called "state of the art" ecoboost power plant?

Or maybe this is just a leak of information, the actual prices and variants could be different.

Last edited by 1100D : 4th May 2013 at 12:59.
Old 4th May 2013, 13:54   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I thought the base version of EcoSport with 1.5L petrol engine was expected because imported Ecoboost engine will cost Ford more than locally manufactured 1.5L engine.

Moreover, I dont think there is any debate on impact of excise duty because the government has classified SUVs as all vehicles larger than 4 meters in length and having an engine bigger than 1500 cc (Diesel) or 1200 cc (Petrol) and a ground clearance of more than 170mm.

Since EcoSport is less than 4 meters in length, irrespective of the engine capacity and ground clearance, it will attract 12% excise duty. In fact in all recent articles, Joginder Singh (Ford India MD) has stated that as per Ford's interpretation only 12% excise duty will be applicable.

Given the features, starting price (Ambiente) of around 5.9 lacs for petrol and 6.5 lacs for diesel looks possible. I think for all successive models viz. Trend, Titanium and Titanium Optional, Ford will charge an increment of 1 lac. In which case highest version of petrol variant may come for 8.9 lacs and that of diesel for 9.5 lacs. It could just wipe away i20.
I have always been under the impression that the Ecoboost engine will replace the 1.5l to duck under the excise rule for the Ecosport. The only variant I expected to see the 1.5l was in the top-end AT variant.

As drpudhi said, you've misunderstood the excise rule. Forget the SUV norms for a minute. That is meant for large cars at the top of the excise slabs. The small car 12% slab applies to cars less than 4m long and with diesel engines under 1.5l and petrol under 1.2l. Look around the Indian car market, every manufacturer who makes a car less than 4m long, be it Honda, VW or Nissan, adheres to this rule.

Only the Ecosport diesel and Ecoboost variants will fit in the lower tax slab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Latest update on Ecosport by Autocar India on its website:

"...Whereas the 1.5 petrol and diesel are familiar (the 107bhp petrol and 88.8bhp diesel are similar to the engines on the Fiesta), the new Ecoboost is expected to make approximately 95-100 bhp. Prices for the EcoSport are expected to start at around Rs 7.5 lakh, with the top-end Titanium crossing Rs 12 lakh"

source: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/342...-leaked.aspx/0

Quite a climbdown in terms of power from the earlier perch eh! ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
Thats almost the new fiesta's price range isn't it, and it didn't work out very well for them. I hope they price it cheaper than the new Fiesta, by atleast 1L variant to variant.
Told ya. The 1.5l petrol in the base variant was a dead giveaway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
Ford's MD was saying (http://zeenews.india.com/business/au...ord_75025.html )that ecosport needs to be levied 27% excise and not 30%, does it mean that ecosport is not getting sub 4 meter excise benefit? I understand that only 1.5 diesel and 1 litre ecosport can qualify under the 12% category and not 1.5 litre petrol.

Is that the reason expected price has jumped to Rs 7.5 lacs from Rs 6 lac for the base model?
That is correct and from all indications they will price the car across the range as if gets no excise benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
All this time it is taking to get this one out, but it seems like Ford has not done basic homework.

If anything but Fiesta's performance is to be seen, Ford should have known where to place this. To top that, the Ecosport also makes it to the small car excise eligibility. The opportunity was only there to loose.

Now looking at a base price of 7.5 for the 1.5 liter petrol versus the 12 lakhs for the top of the line model the Ecoboost would make its appearance in, would it not negate any advantage of the so-called "state of the art" ecoboost power plant?
I agree, Ford has a knack for messing up a good thing. If a customer is spending 12 lakhs, he will not want a car this small. They are trying to have their cake and eat it too and I just don't think its going to work.
Old 4th May 2013, 14:05   #743
BHPian

No way i am going to spend 8.5 Lakhs OTR for the base model of an inflated hatch from 'Ford' (I do like its looks though). Ford doesn't have much of a postive vibe when it comes to appealing the masses.
If they price it 7.5 Lakhs Ex-Showroom it may make numbers for the few months but i don't see it as a constant performer.
Anytime i tell people about ecosport,they are charmed, but as soon as i tell them its from Ford, things change. For Duster things were positive as it was market's first and a lot of people hadn't formed any perception about Renault.

Last edited by k2max6 : 4th May 2013 at 14:07.
Old 4th May 2013, 15:17   #744
BHPian

No airbags on the Ambiente and Trend variants?? So Ford wants us to shell out 10+ lakhs for the basic dual airbag set-up.
and what abour ESP? Not even on the Titanium option which will cost a bomb for a grown up hatch. The Polo TSI suddenly looks a lot more attractive!
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 16:15   #745
Distinguished - BHPian

That bare-bone Ambiente should be from the lessons learned from the Fiesta fiasco.

If the so called leaked pricing is true, I feel it’s quite decent for a small crossover. I mean the immediate competitor Duster is in the price range of 8.5 to 12 lakhs (for diesel). Infact I feel the Duster is overpriced for what it offers, with the top end variant touching 14-15 lakhs, depending on the city.
Old 4th May 2013, 16:24   #746
BHPian

Why two petrol engines?? Why not just plonk the 1.0 ecoboost in all petrol variants and enjoy the excise benefits?? Let's face it, it's still a diesel market out there!!

Ford is unnecessarily complicating things. First with the new Fiesta where they could have reduced prices by a good 50k had they done away with the voice controls in the top variant. Now, this!!
Old 4th May 2013, 16:58   #747
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That bare-bone Ambiente should be from the lessons learned from the Fiesta fiasco.

If the so called leaked pricing is true, I feel itís quite decent for a small crossover. I mean the immediate competitor Duster is in the price range of 8.5 to 12 lakhs (for diesel). Infact I feel the Duster is overpriced for what it offers, with the top end variant touching 14-15 lakhs, depending on the city.
I am no fan of Duster's pricing, however the Duster seems a whole segment bigger than the EcoSport. What ever I could gather from the look of EcoSport in pics or in reality (mall shows), the car is as big or small as a Ritz/I20.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 16:59   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post

I don't think there is much merit in the Autocar India article. In fact same price range of 7.5 - 12 lacs is quoted in today's HT article.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Autos/...1-1054556.aspx

I think these articles are seeded by Ford to create an artificial price expectation of 7.5 lacs and they will eventually launch EcoSport at 6 lacs to delight everyone.

Few months back, Hormazd Sorabjee from Autocar India had tweeted that Ford is planning to launch EcoSport in the 5 lac bracket. Even if we were to assume launch at 5.99 lacs, I dont think increase in excise duty will push the launch price to 7.5 lacs.

Without 12% excise duty, 5.99 lacs comes down to 5.35 lacs. Now even if 27% excise duty was to be applied, 5.35 lacs goes up to 6.79 lacs.

So I don't see excise duty as the only reason for price hike if at all Ford was to launch EcoSport at 7.5 lacs.
damager21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 17:04   #749
BHPian

Rs. 12 lacs for the top end is more than Honda City's which I think retails at about 10.25 or 10.5 lacs, though with less gadgetry but still is a segment above.

I think this is a very very ambitious pricing by Ford and this may kill the product even before launch. One of my friends has been holding his purchase while waiting for Eco Sport Automatic, but he will not pay above 8-9 lacs for the same. For 10+ lacs, he will go for City.
Old 4th May 2013, 18:42   #750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I am no fan of Duster's pricing, however the Duster seems a whole segment bigger than the EcoSport. What ever I could gather from the look of EcoSport in pics or in reality (mall shows), the car is as big or small as a Ritz/I20.
I am not sure if the Ecosport look miniscule when viewed side by side with the Duster. You should be able to gauge better as you have seen it in person

When I saw the Duster on the roads, it actually did not look that big. Probably the cleaner lines give it a better presence on road compared to the Ford. Length-wise (and wheelbase) the Duster have an upper hand, but Ecosport is wider and probably taller.

IMO, anything above 10lakhs on-road is a bit too steep for budget crossovers.
Closed Thread