Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2013, 15:32   #1066
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Hello All,

I spotted an orange Ecosport at Kochi today morning. The car had permanent registration (TN registered vehicle). It was driven by 2 gentlemen who stopped and answered my eager queries. They say that they have bought the car from a dealer who was using this vehicle for display purposes, and also offered a test-drive for customers.

Isnt all this too quick? I mean, the vehicle isnt even fully available in the market, and the dealer has already sold it!

Stunned!
Old 18th May 2013, 20:24   #1067
BANNED

The week is about to come to an end and still no GTO review about the ecosport :-((((
Old 18th May 2013, 21:43   #1068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajoy123 View Post
Hello All,

I spotted an orange Ecosport at Kochi today morning. The car had permanent registration (TN registered vehicle). It was driven by 2 gentlemen who stopped and answered my eager queries. They say that they have bought the car from a dealer who was using this vehicle for display purposes, and also offered a test-drive for customers.

Isnt all this too quick? I mean, the vehicle isnt even fully available in the market, and the dealer has already sold it!

Stunned!
Guess that's not true. Think you saw the TN-19 reg ES. If so they might be part of the ES Discoveries contest. Each team from major cities have been provided with the ES for contest purposes. If you are talking about the same car I too spotted this at kadavanthara.

PS - if you remember their faces, just go to FB and check out "Kochi Coconuts". That's the team from Cochin participating for this contest. They have uploaded many pics of the ES.
Old 18th May 2013, 23:31   #1069
BHPian

Went to a Ford showroom today. They could not give any specific date for launch. On price they said 1.6l petrol titanium will be about 8.5 lakh on road and 1.0 ecoboost titanium will be about 9.5 lakh on road. So far so good!
Old 19th May 2013, 00:04   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Went to a Ford showroom .... On price they said 1.6l petrol titanium will be about 8.5 lakh on road and 1.0 ecoboost titanium will be about 9.5 lakh on road. So far so good!
Whats so good? 9.5L for a Petrol Hatchback, who'll give? Same price one gets a proper Honda City E-MT. Ford is not like VW Beetle or anything to charge so much.

At those prices, like JAZZ, T-Jet etc plugged, even this will go. Jazz & T-Jet both looked quite nice for their time when they launched.

Down the line, when the EcoSport or EcoBoost craze dies down there'll be no point of cutting prices even.

Instead, having a good product at hand, they should generate a good image for the product and then command a higher price when it actually gains the brand value and becomes famous in the market.
Old 19th May 2013, 00:25   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

Whats so good? 9.5L for a Petrol Hatchback, who'll give?....

Instead, having a good product at hand, they should generate a good image for the product and then command a higher price when it actually gains the brand value and becomes famous in the market.
You want them to sell their cars at losses? Or get perceived to be cheap cars with blatant cost cutting. Whereas their closest rival can get away with prices touching 13 lakhs and still be selling like hot cakes.

Come on!!!! It is ludicrous how we on this forum have turned into price polices, without giving it a thought from the manufacturers perspective. If someone wants to buy a City base model for the price of the top end EcoSport ... then please fo ahead. If the prices quoted by Guite is correct and adding a premium of a rough lakh for the top end diesel at 10 lakhs 'ON ROAD'; I would say it's an extremely extremely well priced product.

The driving dynamics have been applauded. The design has been applauded. It has the 'Engine of the Year' under the bonnet. And still we are expecting it to be priced parallely to B+ segment cars. Cut some slack, and get real.
methecupid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 03:26   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
... Whereas their closest rival can get away with prices touching 13 lakhs and still be selling like hot cakes.

The driving dynamics have been applauded. The design has been applauded. It has the 'Engine of the Year' under the bonnet. And still we are expecting it to be priced parallely to B+ segment cars. Cut some slack, and get real.
Losses? Their product will be paid for as against the offerings of the competition, not as per their costs. Costs are their concern, not the consumers'.

Also, how did their 'rival' get there? They launched a car at a certain price and THEN as the product proved itself worthy, they raised the prices. As a product, whether its the Duster or even the Innova, they started at substantially low prices than today.

As a product that's not even launched yet, let alone proving itself, how does one justify a premium that tried & tested products command?

Who applauded the 'Driving Dynamics', reviewers? Which reviewers? What was their credibility? What proves they were unbiased? What were the driving conditions? 'Driving Dynamics' are subjective, one person may like them, another may not.

Who labelled it as the 'Engine of the Year'? on what basis, by what authority?

YOU believe its a well priced product, not necessary thats everyone elses' perspective, the Market is still to react.

Did the last statement not look like it was giving the manufacturer an honest opinion about their product placement and how they can eventually earn that premium for being a competent product?

In all honesty I'd want Ford to earn well from a competent product, and if there is a route I feel I know for ford to achieve that, I've honestly shared my observation about the route, which, depending on their product, may turn out to be correct or incorrect.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 19th May 2013 at 03:39. Reason: clarifying.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 04:59   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Went to a Ford showroom today. They could not give any specific date for launch. On price they said 1.6l petrol titanium will be about 8.5 lakh on road and 1.0 ecoboost titanium will be about 9.5 lakh on road. So far so good!
That pricing sounds decent, though not a shocker. For Petrol variants, it would nice if it is 50k ~ 1L lesser.
Old 19th May 2013, 08:20   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Whats so good? 9.5L for a Petrol Hatchback, who'll give? Same price one gets a proper Honda City E-MT.
Lots of people has already. Heard of the Polo GT? While I don't agree with your comparison with the City E, you do represent popular opinion. That's why there has not been any real premium hatchback. Paying more is associated with getting bigger product. Most Indians do not see tangible value in quality material, finish, aesthetic design and safety features. So you find the lowest model of Swift Desire selling huge volume.

To me size does not matter. In my past five years of owning a hatchback, I has never felt a requirement for a big boot. So I don't see why I should carry around a big empty box everywhere and try to squeeze into tight parking spaces of markets and housing colonies. I look rather for quality product, safety being most important.

Why compare with hatchbacks and Honda City? Compare with compact sedans like Swift Dezire. The Ford Ecosport is in fact bigger, for those to whom size matters. The Ecosport 1.5 has much bigger and powerful engine. In contrast the Dezire has a piddly engine not powerful enough even for a hatchback. On the outside the ES is much better designed, by a mile. NVH damping is also supposed to be top notch. The inside material might turn out to be same. Moreover American (and European) cars tend to have a much more rigid body cage than Asian cars.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 09:34   #1075
BHPian

Saw a news item in USA today a couple of days back when on a trip there. It was almost a half page article, prominently placed. Very relevant to our discussion here.

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2168865

The article does not reference the 1.0 Ecoboost but almost all of the higher capacity versions of Ecoboost seem to have issues. Extended warranty is going to be very important for the buyers of the Ecoboost petrol version here.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 09:48   #1076
BHPian

In the then days when Anil Kumble spelt terror to batsmen all over the globe, Hansie Cronje the cunning captain of South African cricket team devised a unique strategy to play Anil Kumble. The strategy was not to play him as a spinner, but play him as a medium pacer as pace and bounce were Anil Kumble's main weapons and not turn.
Ford India needs to think of a similar strategy for the Ecosport. That is project it as an SUV- or a Hatch+ and price it intelligently (easier said than done). Like let it be an SUV- and price it like a Hatch+ (which I think what it is) and once it becomes a success price it as an SUV- or even an SUV+. Or another way is not to project is as either a hatch or an SUV, let consumers decide what it is.

Ford burnt its hands once with Ford Fusion by projecting it as a city SUV at a time when neither SUVs nor large hatches were in vogue. The Ecosport is another such occasion. If you discount the Quanto, the Ecosport is the first proper 4m SUV in India. In other words Ford is pioneering the segment. So if Ford is not careful, the next contender will benefit and walk away with the benefits of Ford's hard work.
Old 19th May 2013, 10:46   #1077
BHPian

Quote:

Who labelled it as the 'Engine of the Year'? on what basis, by what authority?
He didn't label it engine of the year, these guys did -

http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyear/ieoty.php

Beating the VW 1.4TSI, Ferrari 4.5V8, GM 1.4L engine, BMW 2 L twin turbo (on the 328i) and others.

Plus, it also won new engine of the year and of course sub- 1 litre engine of the year.
Old 19th May 2013, 11:01   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Whats so good? 9.5L for a Petrol Hatchback, who'll give? Same price one gets a proper Honda City E-MT. Ford is not like VW Beetle or anything to charge so much.

I believe 9.5 L is quite good for a top of the line Petrol compact SUV. You say hatchback when referring to the Ecosport and yet you compare it to the Honda City a sedan. Did you know that 9.5 lakh also gets you mini buses and am pretty sure you can get a Chota Haathi for that money too.

And "Ford is not like the VW Beetle", FYI the beetle was popular all along for being an ECONOMY car, nothing else. The two biggest reasons of the Beetle doing well was the Brilliant marketing and the good price/build quality. Just because it is 20 something lacs, does not mean the Bug is a premium car, it is just a normal albeit good hatchback for mostly the female folk in the developed world.

You are more than welcome to your opinion but if sheet metal is your deciding factor to most purchases and unfortunately a lot of people in our country are of such opinions then we can not progress, do you think big is better really matters in today's world or small should be cheaper. When people are spending Billions of Dollars to reduce their carbon footprint and making cuts where ever possible to reduce emissions, cars like the Ecosport are the future. And the future needs money to build and that money will come from products. You want all the top end features, all the creature comforts but hey if they charge me realistically then NO NO that is not done.
You know the sad thing thing about this mentality, we are already witnessing it, companies like Datsun are coming up, jokes like the Alto are still on our roads. This is all because of our reluctance to pay for progress. Look at Renault they were fed up with the failures of their developed world cars in India, so they brought out their developing world models and it worked, sending one clear message to everyone, India likes CHEAP. You wait and see if this trend continues, we will be flooded with generations old junk masquerading as new vehicles and looking at the way the Duster is doing, will pay a premium for it too.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 11:37   #1079
BHPian

Heard Mahindra is coming up with a Mini XUV after the Mini Xylo- aka Quanto.
Price range expected to start from Rs 5 Lakh.
Looks like the heat is on for the duster and EcoSport

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/343...er-look.aspx/0

Found this through a link in Facebook

http://motorbash.com/breaking-autoca...art-at-5-lakh/
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 14:43   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
And "Ford is not like the VW Beetle", FYI the beetle was popular all along for being an ECONOMY car, nothing else. The two biggest reasons of the Beetle doing well was the Brilliant marketing and the good price/build quality. Just because it is 20 something lacs, does not mean the Bug is a premium car, it is just a normal albeit good hatchback for mostly the female folk in the developed world.
Couldn't agree more. I am surprised that there are people who think that VW beetle is a premium car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
You know the sad thing thing about this mentality, we are already witnessing it, companies like Datsun are coming up, jokes like the Alto are still on our roads. This is all because of our reluctance to pay for progress.
Once again, very well said. True, it's value-for-money anywhere in the world. But what one views as 'value' is subjective. But in India, it's always about size, isn't it.
Closed Thread