Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2013, 15:11   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post

ey to build and that money will come from products. You want all the top end features, all the creature comforts but hey if they charge me realistically then NO NO that is not done.
You know the sad thing thing about this mentality, we are already witnessing it, companies like Datsun are coming up, jokes like the Alto are still on our roads. This is all because of our reluctance to pay for progress. Look at Renault they were fed up with the failures of their developed world cars in India, so they brought out their developing world models and it worked, sending one clear message to everyone, India likes CHEAP. You wait and see if this trend continues, we will be flooded with generations old junk masquerading as new vehicles and looking at the way the Duster is doing, will pay a premium for it too.
OT:
I wandered into the Mini Cooper Showroom today and fiddled about for a while with the Countryman and the base level Mini Cooper.
Its actually quite easy to kid yourself into buying one of these, they make it so easy and tempt you so nicely. 8 lacs downpayment and then 11 instalments of 25 grand each. Then a bullet payment of 1.21 lacs on the 12th month. And so on for 7 years.

However, when you stop to think a bit this is what happens;
Let us say the base Mini Cooper in India ( Bangalore) costs Rs 35 lacs on road. The same car abroad say in the UK will cost about 11000 to 12000 Pounds, which equates to about 10 lacs. Why are we paying such a massive Premium for this car in India regardless of how much of an icon it is and regardless of how much one may just love its looks, performance and everything else.

We are living in a really skewed world here in India. 5 Cr. Rupee Apartments and Villas abound but the infrastructure around them is crumbling and there is garbage on the streets. Ridiculous!
shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 15:24   #1082
BHPian

My friends got it for urban discovery. Will be test driving in a day or two. Do you guys want me to look for any specific things?
Old 19th May 2013, 15:49   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
My friends got it for urban discovery. Will be test driving in a day or two. Do you guys want me to look for any specific things?
Some specific things I would oike to know more about are as follow:
Headroom and Shoulder room for tall/ big passengers front and rear, Under-thigh support in the front and rear seats, Luggage space compared with a WagonR, ride quality compared with the Maruti Swift's slightly stiff ride, Ground clearance and behaviour over speed bumps since it has a short wheelbase.
Old 19th May 2013, 18:34   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Some specific things I would oike to know more about are as follow:
Headroom and Shoulder room for tall/ big passengers front and rear, Under-thigh support in the front and rear seats, Luggage space compared with a WagonR, ride quality compared with the Maruti Swift's slightly stiff ride, Ground clearance and behaviour over speed bumps since it has a short wheelbase.
Head room and shoulder room is sufficient for 4 people only. I am 6'3", but a 5'10" kind of guy can squeeze behind me. My comparisons will primarily be based on swift, as I drove it for 4.5 years. Comparing it to my storme would not be a good idea I guess.
Old 19th May 2013, 18:43   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post

Couldn't agree more. I am surprised that there are people who think that VW beetle is a premium car
Ignore the status of the car in the other countries, here the beetle is priced even higher than some luxury offerings, so doesn't it qualify to be perceived as a premium vehicle? The perception is only based on price and the cult icon that the beetle has become, not for what it offers. The new A-class from merc is expected to be around 20 lakhs, food for thought?
Old 19th May 2013, 19:54   #1086
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Yet another review and drive report from the media drive at Goa

http://in.news.yahoo.com/blogs/fullt...163522763.html

GTO, impatiently waiting for the BAAP of all reviews
Old 19th May 2013, 20:40   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Just one request and a very important one at that: noise level. He much engine noise and other outside noise filters into the cabin? Please mention which engine you are (will be) driving.
Old 19th May 2013, 23:44   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe 9.5 L is quite good for a top of the line Petrol compact SUV...
Good for you! When Hormazd Sorabjee tweeted its gonna be launched at 5 lakh (Ex-SR non-ecoboost petrol variant ofcourse), somehow I derived that the EcoBoost would be only a 1 lakh more, 1.5 tops! BUT to then hear it may come at a premium of 3 lakhs (~8L Ex-SR), ofcourse it may somewhat shake people!

Quote:
And "Ford is not like the VW Beetle", FYI the beetle was popular all along for being an ECONOMY car, nothing else....
I'm talking about what IS, not what was (that too in some other country).

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Couldn't agree more. I am surprised that there are people who think that VW beetle is a premium car.
Really, are you? Do visit the VW showroom and ask for a TD of the Bug. Atleast VW showrooms think its a premium product.

Quote:
You are more than welcome to your opinion but if sheet metal is your deciding factor to most purchases...
When on earth did I speak about sheet metal !

I didn't compare EcoSport & City for sheet metal! I meant to ask why'd I buy a new technology thats untested & unproven in India as against a tried & tested proven product.

-Peace Out-

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 19th May 2013 at 23:52. Reason: Hormazd Sorabjee - spell check.
Old 20th May 2013, 00:26   #1089
BHPian

Nice detailed review with some high resolution pics released by TheAutomotiveIndia

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...ve-review.html
damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 01:15   #1090
Team-BHP Support

Note from T-BHP Support: Requesting our members to keep it civil. Posts that veer off-topic will be deleted henceforth. Thanks
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 08:11   #1091
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
I believe 9.5 L is quite good for a top of the line Petrol compact SUV. You say hatchback when referring to the Ecosport and yet you compare it to the Honda City a sedan. Did you know that 9.5 lakh also gets you mini buses and am pretty sure you can get a Chota Haathi for that money too.

You are more than welcome to your opinion but if sheet metal is your deciding factor to most purchases and unfortunately a lot of people in our country are of such opinions then we can not progress, do you think big is better really matters in today's world or small should be cheaper. When people are spending Billions of Dollars to reduce their carbon footprint and making cuts where ever possible to reduce emissions, cars like the Ecosport are the future.

And the future needs money to build and that money will come from products. You want all the top end features, all the creature comforts but hey if they charge me realistically then NO NO that is not done.
You know the sad thing thing about this mentality, we are already witnessing it, companies like Datsun are coming up, jokes like the Alto are still on our roads. This is all because of our reluctance to pay for progress. Look at Renault they were fed up with the failures of their developed world cars in India, so they brought out their developing world models and it worked, sending one clear message to everyone, India likes CHEAP. You wait and see if this trend continues, we will be flooded with generations old junk masquerading as new vehicles and looking at the way the Duster is doing, will pay a premium for it too.
If you so seriously believe that you want to pay Rs 10 lac for a jacked up I20, please feel free, but stop justifying EcoSport as the next best thing which happened to automobiles post the IC engine!!!
Can you justify how EcoSport is good for the environment? Because its so small? Or does it run on water and air?

And the car you so breezily refer to as a joke, the Alto, has put affordable, safe motoring to most of India, who used to travel on junk Bajaj scooters and old Amby/Fiats or rickety buses. Atleast it is a honest car which does exactly as it claims. Cheap to own, reliable as hell, fuel efficent, and provides airconditioned comfort from A to B for the common man.

If Ford wants or desperately hopes to price the EcoSport with the mid sized sedans? Big fat chance, like the last car which they atrociously priced and it tanked, the Fiesta, if priced higher the EcoSport will tank too, no matter the spare on the tailgate or not!!!

I20, arguably the best hatchback we have has all the bells and whistes and is yet priced affordably. Can Ford look into this?

Duster IMO is not old junk imported from Europe or elsewhere. It is a honest interpretation of a softroad/offroad vehicle and in India the only issue it has seems to be cheap interiors for the price. Atleast it is a size bigger than the EcoSport. If 5 people are travelling in it, atleast they wont get intimately comfortable unlike the EcoSport
apachelongbow is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 08:28   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post

If you so seriously believe that you want to pay Rs 10 lac for a jacked up I20, please feel free, but stop justifying EcoSport as the next best thing which happened to automobiles post the IC engine!!!
Can you justify how EcoSport is good for the environment? Because its so small? Or does it run on water and air?

And the car you so breezily refer to as a joke, the Alto, has put affordable, safe motoring to most of India, who used to travel on junk Bajaj scooters and old Amby/Fiats or rickety buses. Atleast it is a honest car which does exactly as it claims. Cheap to own, reliable as hell, fuel efficent, and provides airconditioned comfort from A to B for the common man.

If Ford wants or desperately hopes to price the EcoSport with the mid sized sedans? Big fat chance, like the last car which they atrociously priced and it tanked, the Fiesta, if priced higher the EcoSport will tank too, no matter the spare on the tailgate or not!!!

I20, arguably the best hatchback we have has all the bells and whistes and is yet priced affordably. Can Ford look into this?

Duster IMO is not old junk imported from Europe or elsewhere. It is a honest interpretation of a softroad/offroad vehicle and in India the only issue it has seems to be cheap interiors for the price. Atleast it is a size bigger than the EcoSport. If 5 people are travelling in it, atleast they wont get intimately comfortable unlike the EcoSport
I have been asked to keep it civil so in respect to that, I really don't care man, buy the duster or the i20 and if you dont like ford and its products, well that's your opinion.

I will stand up for what I believe and that is the Eco sport is a fine car and a fresh thing to have happened to the Auto industry in a long long time, you may chose to digress but that's your opinion.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 09:11   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Eco-Sport will sell just because how it looks, period.

We Indian's right now are in stir-crazy mind frame of loving every SUV'ish vehicle coming our way and the Eco is best designed vehicle of the lot, at least from the outside. It may be a size smaller but that may the best thing to happen to it given our space restrictions. It is so pleasing to the eye and previous best sellers always have had that trait.

Now only if Ford gets its part right (read pricing, service, spares) and doesn't let the jackpot it has hit slip away, like it did with the new Fiesta.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 10:21   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
I have been asked to keep it civil so in respect to that, I really don't care man, buy the duster or the i20 and if you dont like ford and its products, well that's your opinion.

I will stand up for what I believe and that is the Eco sport is a fine car and a fresh thing to have happened to the Auto industry in a long long time, you may chose to digress but that's your opinion.
I second that! I sat in the eco-sport yesterday, took a small drive within the garage and hopefully i prebook it this week. I had earlier booked and cancelled the Duster primarily because of 2 reasons:- 1) Poor interiors 2) No airbag option for the petrol car even if i was willing to pay for it

Ford is giving music system, Telescopic steering, Remote locking, Electronic ORVM even in the base version (http://indianautosblog.com/2013/05/f...or-india-74413). On top of it We get the dual clutch automatic as an option which again is missing in Renault (with a 10 year warranty which VW is not willing to give to its DSG in india)

So even if its pricier, the fit & finish is fantastic, modern and new something which Duster cannot claim to. All TV reviews claim fantastic handling and ride which is typical of ford.

So my personal choice is ford any day. Of course people have different views and we must respect that. The final judgement of course will be provided by the general public and so lets wait and watch how the story unfolds.
urajkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 10:54   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Look at Renault they were fed up with the failures of their developed world cars in India, so they brought out their developing world models and it worked, sending one clear message to everyone, India likes CHEAP. You wait and see if this trend continues, we will be flooded with generations old junk masquerading as new vehicles and looking at the way the Duster is doing, will pay a premium for it too.
Agree a 100%, I am OK with consumers being price conscious, this is for all of us to see. But I feel they are becoming more and more "value conscious" and "progress conscious". The notions of being "world class" and the "feel good factor" seem to have limited attraction on the surface and in day-to-day purchase decisions today. But as we see and experience more of the world around, this is clearly emerging as an unsaid decision criteria for many progressive consumers .

This trend seems to have limited commercial value, going by the short term results. Long terms, consumers do want to be world class. The perception of auto brands builds over time. Renault may get good short term results introducing a cheap bottom drawer Romanian SUV like the Duster as a semi-premium product in India, pricing it even higher than its own export markets like UK. They may even be successful in the short term, as we have seen. But they will pay the price in the long run.

As consumers see and experience world class products from other manufacturers made for developed markets, their perception of players like Renault will alter and this will lead to disenchantment longer term with these manufacturers, See the case of Tata Motors, every new Indica they sell to the taxi fleet, ends up as a standing symbol of cheapness, ugly design, bone-wrecking ride (dis)comfort. The more consumers see and experience these vehicles on the road, the further south the brands perception and premium of the Tata brand goes. The results are for all of us to see.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread