Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2013, 15:13   #1156
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boney_george View Post
Friends, Im here to post on my experience driving the most awaited car of the decade (atleast for many years!) The Ecosport.

Although this question has been asked and folks have provided thier views, but still what are your views on the Rear bench and the storage space ??
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:16   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Is driving at lower rpm equivalent to idling in a turbocharged engine ?
i think it refers to engine running at idle rpm and with no throttle or gear engaged.

I want to know if the time used in parking or reversing actually is as good as idling.
Driving at a lower rpm is not equivalent to idling. However, driving at low rpms which is not high enough to spool up the turbo would do the job just as well.

You will get all the answers to your queries on this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rged-cars.html (Why you must practice the "Idling Rule" with Turbo-Charged Cars)

We should stop this discussion here as we are drifting
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:41   #1158

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.sml View Post
Although this question has been asked and folks have provided thier views, but still what are your views on the Rear bench and the storage space ??
Egress/ingress is smooth. Rear leg room is similar to i20 if not better when front seats were is standard position for 5'8 guys.

Regarding storage, I can't recall the door storage options. The boot is large and practical for a mini SUV/large hatch. Front cabin spaces are decent and adequate. Not sure if there was any space below the armrest. There is one sun glass holder on the roof adjacent to the cabin lights.

Apologies for limited details, my key objective was to floor the throttle and explore whats in store under the hood
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:50   #1159

Quote:
Friends, Im here to post on my experience driving the most awaited car of the decade (atleast for many years!) The Ecosport.
Thanks for the pictures, As you are one of the few who could drive the car at night, how was the "NIGHT TIME DRIVING EXPERIENCE" of the EcoSport? Was the headlight effective?
Old 23rd May 2013, 16:03   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is driving at lower rpm equivalent to idling in a turbocharged engine ?i think it refers to engine running at idle rpm and with no throttle or gear engaged.
Yes I believe. As long as you keep it in 1st/2nd gear with no throttle input.

Quote:
I want to know if the time used in parking or reversing actually is as good as idling.
Of course it is. Unless you are slipping the clutch and using too much gas.

In general the worst thing is to immediately shut down the engine after a highway run (80+ kmph). Specially when you stop at Dhaba or petrol Pump.

The primary idea is to slow down the turbo before shutting off. takes around 5~10 secs of idling.
The next thing is cooling of the oil. Don't rev for the last 1 km.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 16:18   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
While taking a tight U-turn, I had to reverse once before the turn could be completed and I could not get a decent rear view.
On various websites the turning radius of ecosport is quoted to be 5.3 metres. This could be quite annoying IMO. Duster has a turning radius of 5.2 Metre. With a shorter wheelbase I expected it to be below 5 Metre.
Old 23rd May 2013, 16:25   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need to exercise caution opening the boot when parked side-on.
Why does that tail gate open in that direction? Are we supposed to park against the flow of traffic?
Would it not be easier if it opened in the other direction? In this way, the users will be forced to keep the luggage in the way of traffic (assuming parking done by the left side of the road as usual), close the door and then move the luggage to the pavement.
Or does Ford assume that all of us will park only at garages and malls?

Quote:
Adequate driver legroom for a 58.
Just about adequate I would say. Bad news for anyone taller!
Old 23rd May 2013, 17:24   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Why does that tail gate open in that direction? Are we supposed to park against the flow of traffic?
Would it not be easier if it opened in the other direction? In this way, the users will be forced to keep the luggage in the way of traffic (assuming parking done by the left side of the road as usual), close the door and then move the luggage to the pavement.
Or does Ford assume that all of us will park only at garages and malls?
Am more worried about kids straying into traffic rather than baggage.

They should have been FORCED to change the orientation during Indian homologation! Wonder why these are not explicitly stated; very similar to the confusion caused by the differing functions on the LH & RH stalks in European, Japanese and Korean car families.

I drive a Polo and a Cruze; keep making a mistake with the wipers and turn indicators pretty regularly.
Old 23rd May 2013, 17:27   #1164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Am more worried about kids straying into traffic rather than baggage.
I dont think there is enough place in the Ecosport boot for any kids.

I have the same problem when I drive my friend's Polo.
That is still manageable (risky at high speeds/ highways yes) but why would anyone want to have a reverse boot door?

Edit: Perhaps some SA at Ford will try to sell this as a safety feature. So that the door does not open all the way into traffic!

Last edited by selfdrive : 23rd May 2013 at 17:28.
Old 23rd May 2013, 17:34   #1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Just about adequate I would say. Bad news for anyone taller!
Taller people can indeed drive the car but at the expense of leg room behind him which is a given in any sub 4m car/hatch. I don't think this should be a huge deterrent for majority of prospective buyers as the car has way too many things to offer.
Old 23rd May 2013, 18:49   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Yes I believe. As long as you keep it in 1st/2nd gear with no throttle input.

Of course it is. Unless you are slipping the clutch and using too much gas.

In general the worst thing is to immediately shut down the engine after a highway run (80+ kmph). Specially when you stop at Dhaba or petrol Pump.

The primary idea is to slow down the turbo before shutting off. takes around 5~10 secs of idling.
The next thing is cooling of the oil. Don't rev for the last 1 km.
Well, I never had a turbo-engined car, but none of my friends who have/had turbo cars seem to follow this idling rule. If it indeed has to be that way, then it is much more than just an irritant. I think the 1.5 petrol is the safer bet.
Old 23rd May 2013, 20:24   #1167
BHPian

A Ford dealer in Mumbai has confirmed EcoSport will be up for display in the first week of June. Also, test drive will be available from the same week.
Old 23rd May 2013, 20:33   #1168

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks14 View Post
Thanks for the pictures, As you are one of the few who could drive the car at night, how was the "NIGHT TIME DRIVING EXPERIENCE" of the EcoSport? Was the headlight effective?
We didn't seem to have any issues with visibility ahead as we drove around Whitefield which is sufficiently lit up. But as I said in first post, I was quite blinded while reversing. The drizzle in addition to the small rear windshield did not help. This vehicle has to have parking sensors, assisted by video if possible.
Old 23rd May 2013, 21:26   #1169
BHPian

Where do you guys and gals think Ford will place the Ecosport interms of product placement and pricing? Above or below the new Fiesta? Or straddle right across? Will they place it below and pit it against top models of compact sedan and entry level models of mid size sedans? Or will they go above and compete directly with the Duster?

Another related question: in a market obsessed with size, what is the perception of the general public with respect to this car? Is it seen as just a grown up hatch? Or seen as 'bigger' than a mid size sedan (City, Verna, etc) and directly in the league of Duster? The Duster is definitely bigger than Verna etc but the Ecosport is not so easily classifiable in size. It is shorter yet taller than the mid size sedans. Will people think it is bigger? If Ford were to place it among the mid size sedans and Duster, I wonder how the aam janta will respond: start writing the cheque for Ford ES or shop elsewhere.
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:19   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Well, I never had a turbo-engined car, but none of my friends who have/had turbo cars seem to follow this idling rule. If it indeed has to be that way, then it is much more than just an irritant. I think the 1.5 petrol is the safer bet.
Well, my guess is that modern 'turbos' are designed to withstand some degree of abuse such as drivers not idling. If this were not the case, rate of turbo failures would have been high, which does not seem to be the case. Over last few years lots of turbo diesel cars have sold, and most drivers are unaware of the idling rule.

So, go ahead and buy the engine of your choice!!

Last edited by risga : 23rd May 2013 at 22:20. Reason: none
Closed Thread