Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2013, 23:17   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

Well, I never had a turbo-engined car, but none of my friends who have/had turbo cars seem to follow this idling rule. If it indeed has to be that way, then it is much more than just an irritant. I think the 1.5 petrol is the safer bet.
Depends on the car, like the fiat linea t-jet had a water cooled turbo and it does not need idling coz the hot turbo cannot hurt the water but in a oil cooled turbo the oil forms small particles when the hot turbo is stopped abruptly, those small particles hurt the turbo quite abit and eventually it gives away.

Mine is a very simple point of view, a detailed explanation has been written down in a dedicated thread on turbo chargers.
Old 23rd May 2013, 23:37   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Well, I never had a turbo-engined car, but none of my friends who have/had turbo cars seem to follow this idling rule. If it indeed has to be that way, then it is much more than just an irritant. I think the 1.5 petrol is the safer bet.
Now you are being ridiculous. 90% people dont follow the idling rule. That does not mean their turbo will go wrong in 10 years. Manufacturers do take into account such things when they design. However if you can follow the idling rule why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Depends on the car, like the fiat linea t-jet had a water cooled turbo and it does not need idling
Are you sure about that! Oil cooled turbos are widely used specifically for a number of reasons. Coolant generally evaporates at such temps, Oil on the other hand helps in corrosion prevention. Then it helps in lubrication of the bearings. I have never seen a water cooled turbo so can not comment how the bearings are lubricated.
But either way I would have followed the idling rule even if it is water cooled. No harm done in taking the last KM easy.
Old 23rd May 2013, 23:42   #1173
BHPian

So many posts on turbochargers! Looks like everyone is waiting for this thread to get locked superfast Been twiddling my thumbs for a while now, waiting for the TBHP review. If its good, am going to the nearest Ford showroom and giving them a pre-booking cheque to save my place in the line!
crazydave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 02:49   #1174
BHPian

Looking at the excitement and enthusiasm I have feeling that if priced right this car may just pip every thing from swift to city to duster . I can for see this baby selling atleast 6-8k a month.
Old 24th May 2013, 06:59   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
If its good, am going to the nearest Ford showroom and giving them a pre-booking cheque to save my place in the line!
Well I would suggest that you give the chequ e straight away sir. In Chennai the pre bookings have started already and the 2 day delay itself would mean that you are already delayed. You can always get the refund if you are not interested.
Old 24th May 2013, 09:03   #1176
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I got an opportunity to drive the EcoSport, as one of my friend has tge car as a part of the discoveries campain. Drove it for about 30 kms in peak traffic and on straight streches.
The car looks fabulous I wouls like to call it a 10 lakh rupee Evoque the design ques are really attractive.
The build is decent for the price it will be sold at love the ergonomics the front seats are contoured like sport seats, the handrest is handy
Audio is decent nothing great the sync works well tryed calls on bluetooth.
Rear leg room is average I think its best for a family of 2 and a kid which I think is also the target market for ford.
The car is a hoot to drive who cares about the rear seat space as long as you are on the wheel. Floored the car did 60 on 1st and 100 on the second flat out revved it till 6.5 rpm the streering is pretty light but very accurate.
If you are stuck in the wrong gear its very sluggish till the turbo opens but it opens at 1500 rpm so just kept the revs high and driving it is fun
NVH levels are good no vibrations less road or traffiv noise but auto ac takes some time to cool

Overall car looks awsome drives decent quality of interiors and space is nothing ro write home about. My guess is the price of the top end ecoboost should be 12 lakhs on road blore.should not be underpriced so will remain niche.
Attached Images

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th May 2013 at 02:05. Reason: ES=EcoSport, please type full name instead of Acronym. Thanks
vyasachetan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 10:51   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Depends on the car, like the fiat linea t-jet had a water cooled turbo and it does not need idling coz the hot turbo cannot hurt the water but in a oil cooled turbo the oil forms small particles when the hot turbo is stopped abruptly, those small particles hurt the turbo quite abit and eventually it gives away.

Mine is a very simple point of view, a detailed explanation has been written down in a dedicated thread on turbo chargers.
Hey, the turbo doesn't stop. Its the other way around. Engine stops, and hence the oil pump and lubrication, but the turbo will continue to spin till it gradually slows down and stop. Eg. if its spinning at 20,000 RPM when you shut the engine, it may take upto 10 minutes to complete stop, potentially without lubrication, and hence could be damaged. But, I guess design improvements factor this in.

I used to work with Tata Motors ages ago. At that time turbos were restricted to few Heavy Vehicles. Turbo failures were quite common and drivers had to be educated about the turbo and idling rule etc. Have gone OT here, but I thought I must share this.
risga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 10:56   #1178
BHPian

I would suggest that the discussion about turbo/ turbochargers be done in the appropriate thread. I am visiting this thread for the Ecosport updates and that is the intention of it also. This is really going OT now!
MotoNanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 11:03   #1179
BHPian

I remember seeing initial conversations in this thread predicting the price in the 6 to 9 lakhs price point. Recent posts are more inclined towards 10 lakh+. I wonder what has changed. We still have to remember that this is a jacked up hatch (a very well executed one of course). And the sub 4m benefits should be passed on to the customers. IMHO a 7L for the base variant and 10L for the top end Titanium+ is the ideal pricing. But Ford could be planning differently looking at the response.
grules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 11:20   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
I remember seeing initial conversations in this thread predicting the price in the 6 to 9 lakhs price point. Recent posts are more inclined towards 10 lakh+. I wonder what has changed. We still have to remember that this is a jacked up hatch (a very well executed one of course). And the sub 4m benefits should be passed on to the customers. IMHO a 7L for the base variant and 10L for the top end Titanium+ is the ideal pricing. But Ford could be planning differently looking at the response.
+1 to that.
I also feel the Titanium+ variant should not exceed 10L. As some members are predicting 12L, which IMHO is overpriced! The car is no doubt a blockbuster, but the customer should benefit from the sub 4m/ 1.0L specification. If Ford decides to eat the whole profit then definitely the price will soar.
MotoNanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 11:31   #1181
BHPian

Lets face it, the Ecosport is not as big as the Duster, its about a foot shorter. Going for Rs.12L would be right in Duster territory. People will choose the Duster instead notwithstanding product packaging et al. I would be willing to put down my money on the Titanium+ if it is less than Rs.10L on road. Else it is Vento Highline or Polo GT for me. I would compare Ecoboost with auto gearbox favourably with the Polo GT in terms of technology and be willing to pay some premium over it for more height and additional airbags. While I have fixed a budget cap, I would have been willing to stretch if it were atleast a big as Duster.

One reviewer was even saying the lowest model will be Rs.5L, right in hatchback territory. Ford has indeed done a good job at making people anticipate and speculate.
Old 24th May 2013, 11:56   #1182
BHPian

I would disagree to that, at the same price point, if given a choice between top end Duster and mid end Ecosport, I will choose the Ecosport. The safety features on the ecosport are much better compared to a duster. Duster provides safety at an irrational premium.

Ford has rightly given importance to safety and that will result in good sales. However if someone wants Butch looks and a bigger car, duster it will be.

The Duster vs Ecosport battle is gonna be a treat to watch

Last edited by 2000rpm : 24th May 2013 at 11:57.
Old 24th May 2013, 12:27   #1183
BHPian

There are many reviews out there but I am yet to across a review which gives answers to following:

1. Make and output quality of music system and speakers
2. Comparison of width and leg room available for rear seat passengers with that of Swift, i20, Vista, etc.
3. Rear view seems to be limited. Ease of reverse parking without using reverse parking sensors
4. Apart from fuel and seat belt warning, are there any other warnings displayed viz. tire pressure, etc.
Old 24th May 2013, 13:26   #1184
BHPian

Just saw an ecosport at the parking area opp galleria, Gurgaon.

The car looks pretty good in reality and much bigger than it actually is. Probably books of the muscular lines or the tire on the boot.

I couldn't sit in it since it was locked and the owner was away.

I'll be in line the first day this car is launched.
Old 24th May 2013, 14:02   #1185
Senior - BHPian

The New Autocar Mag has a first drive report of the EcoBoost EcoSport.

It has the performance figures as well. The 0-100 timing is a little underwhelming at 13.6 seconds.

However they do claim that the stretch they tested on wasn't ideal, so this figure could upto pushing 13 seconds

Expect this to go further down in case of the 1.5 engines.

Last edited by agambhandari : 24th May 2013 at 14:06.
Closed Thread