Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th March 2013, 17:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Maruti moves to offer buybacks, discounts as buyers stay elusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Figo misses Fun to Drive!? You cant be more wrong than this, I will ask if you have ever driven one. If you are talking about the puny 68bhp diesel and the 72bhp petrol, see what the Figo can do on the track to a more powerful and lighter Swift!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-who-wins.html (Ford Figo (Petrol) vs Swift (Petrol) on a race track. Guess who wins?)
I have not driven Figo petrol, So i think i should correct myself to Figo diesel not being fun to drive, since i do not know about petrol variant(I know it is noisy !!!)

Coming to diesel, I have extensively driven both Swift diesel and figo diesel on the ghat sections of Western ghats and I just hate the way Figo looses breath when climbing slopes.

On highways though it feels planted above 90kmph, but i am not blessed with such great roads in karnataka.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 18:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Swift is surely overpriced, but so are other cars from other manufacturers.

Ford Figo is VFM(due to its price) but then it surely misses on the fun to drive, climate control etc.
Liva, tell me something new apart from the Toyota Quality !!
Sail is cheap and it looks cheap too

i20,Fabia,Polo,Micra,Pulse are all anyway expensive.

So We should blame all the auto makers for collectively making the cars expensive.

To some extent, i will blame our govt taxation, but some credit should be shared by these makers as well.

eagerly waiting for analysis on march sales. It is expected to be bad for everyone. If that trend continues for another couple of months, then we will see price correction across the board
Do you seriously think Figo is not fun to drive? IMHO, its the most fun to drive hatchback around, it might not be a drag race winner, but in the city its impossible to beat matey.

BTW, I dont own one, used to, an year back, sold it cos was moving to a new place. And I have driven all the hatchbacks being discussed here.

But as they say, to each his own and we can always agree to disagree
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 18:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
Do you seriously think Figo is not fun to drive? IMHO, its the most fun to drive hatchback around, it might not be a drag race winner, but in the city its impossible to beat matey.

BTW, I dont own one, used to, an year back, sold it cos was moving to a new place. And I have driven all the hatchbacks being discussed here.

But as they say, to each his own and we can always agree to disagree
I have given my version above. I love to drive on the winding roads and ghats. this is where i did not like Figo as it takes time to build power.

Once the turbo kicks in, it drives well.

But Figo surely handles better than the stiff Swift.

Anyways the point i was trying to make was Everybody has overpriced their cars. They have done some cost cutting or the other to arrive at the price.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 19:23   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With a minimum of 95% localisation on most of the cars from MSIL, its definitely a rip off. The service costs are not cheaper for the MSIL cars either. I believe there is a thread on this myth.

The Figo is cheaper by atleast 80K and the localisation on the Figo would be close to 80%, same goes for other manufacturers too like Fiat or VW. Its definitely a rip off to me.

Last time I enquired the price of Swift, it was close to 8.4L which is only 80K cheaper than the Classic Fiesta SXi
Didn't quite get your post, sorry.

Are you telling its Maruti's fault that the competiton has not localized production of their cars? The price qouted for the Swift should be very much higher than their production costs - that I understand. But my point is - competition (i20, Polo, Punto) is the same.

If still you consider it as a rip off - our market doesn't seem to agree with you at all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Doesn't it show that the demand indeed has slowed down and they might soon start offering bigger discounts?
If its ready delivery - and huge sales numbers that keep on increasing month over month - doesn't it mean an increase in production capacity?

My point is - there is a general slowdown in the market. Maruti is compensating the fall in sales of other models by pushing Swift production capacity and sales even higher.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 19:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
My point is - there is a general slowdown in the market. Maruti is compensating the fall in sales of other models by pushing Swift production capacity and sales even higher.
Agree completely with you. There is an old saying in Malayalam: "nananha idam kuzhikkuka", which means something similar to "drill the wet area". The idea of pushing the sales of a WR or Alto may not work as easily as that of Swift.
romeomidhun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 19:47   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...If still you consider it as a rip off - our market doesn't seem to agree with you at all! ...
So if the competition is priced closer or more than Swift which itself is overpriced, it is NOT a rip off?? The better way to put it is; all those cars are a rip off. Of these I will be better off with the i20 as it is the BEST all-rounder - quality, specs, space, features compared to it's rivals! (Please don't bring in the dynamics into the equation, that's NOT what I mean).

Quote:
...If its ready delivery - and huge sales numbers that keep on increasing month over month - doesn't it mean an increase in production capacity? ...
Ohh, so Maruti is increasing the production capacity month-on-month??? They did it last year and there is NO capacity expansion after that. The numbers we see in the last 1 year or so is the max (~18K ?) they can churn out a month.

Quote:
...Maruti is compensating the fall in sales of other models by pushing Swift production capacity and sales even higher.
Wrong! Maruti is NOT doing anything. The demand and bookings have come down so whatever they produce now at their max capacity is MORE than the demand. Hence there is less waiting period and more inventory! The ideal way to keep the demand going is to reduce the numbers by cutting down on the shifts; what exactly they have done with their petrol manufacturing factories.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th March 2013 at 19:50.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 19:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

India is the only market for Suzuki where they could sell cheap cars for a high price and the part ownership of the Indian govt. offered Maruti Udyog enough subsidies to setup strong base on localisation.

This was not the case for most other manufacturers as they have cars that sell globally and setting up complete localisation in India would only cost more for non-Indian companies if they dont have volumes, they dont enjoy the subsidies that MSIL used to enjoy until 2007(!?) either.

The Indian market is very unique, MSIL has built a reputation that can never be broken. There is demand and when there is demand for your product in the market, you command your price and Maruti is doing it. The service costs for a Maruti is not cheap either. But everyone loves to buy one. Its never a fault like you want to think!

For 8.4 Lakh on-road price in Chennai, the Swift is overpriced big time for me. If I spend a little more over 60K, I can bring home a decent sedan!

Quote:
Are you telling its Maruti's fault that the competiton has not localized production of their cars? The price qouted for the Swift should be very much higher than their production costs - that I understand. But my point is - competition (i20, Polo, Punto) is the same.

If still you consider it as a rip off - our market doesn't seem to agree with you at all!
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 19:50   #23
BANNED

aren't we going off topic.
We are here to discuss the discounts which the market major is going to offer in the market.
For comparing maruti swift with ford figo better go to following thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ift-zxi-7.html (Figo TDCi Titanium or Swift ZXi ?)
Dr.Abhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 21:11   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So if the competition is priced closer or more than Swift which itself is overpriced, it is NOT a rip off??
No. As long as market is ready to pay for it, a manufacturer is free to price it as per competition. Why can't they price Ritz in the same way? Market considers Ritz to be at this price point only.

By the way - Even i20 Sportz is 30k more expensive than Swift ZDi. I see it as a very expensive proposition, but again - its a personal view and we'll have to agree to disagree.
Quote:
The better way to put it is; all those cars are a rip off.
Exactly!
Quote:
Ohh, so Maruti is increasing the production capacity month-on-month???Wrong! Maruti is NOT doing anything
They don't need to increase production capacity. Dont you think they can switch production from Ritz/ Ertiga to Swift when their is a fall in demand of the other?

If you are right - Maruti is pushing extra inventory to the dealers. It is not sustainable, and sales should crash in the next few months? Probably we should pick up this discussion in the March sales thread.
Quote:
India is the only market for Suzuki where they could sell cheap cars for a high price and the part ownership of the Indian govt. offered Maruti Udyog enough subsidies to setup strong base on localisation.

This was not the case for most other manufacturers as they have cars that sell globally and setting up complete localisation in India would only cost more for non-Indian companies if they dont have volumes, they dont enjoy the subsidies that MSIL used to enjoy until 2007(!?) either.

The Indian market is very unique, MSIL has built a reputation that can never be broken. There is demand and when there is demand for your product in the market, you command your price and Maruti is doing it. The service costs for a Maruti is not cheap either. But everyone loves to buy one. Its never a fault like you want to think!

For 8.4 Lakh on-road price in Chennai, the Swift is overpriced big time for me. If I spend a little more over 60K, I can bring home a decent sedan!
I'm truly sorry - but I missed you point again, except for the last one. As a customer buying a car in 2013 - why should I pay extra $ for a car because the company is new in the market and could not localize as much as Maruti? Its now more than a decade since the market was thrown open.

True - most premium hatchbacks are expensive propositions compared to entry level sedans. My Punto 90HP was neck to neck with a friend's Verito D6 in pricing! Thinking with my head - I just couldn't ignore the space, driveability, mileage and even more space it offered at the same price.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 12:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Are you saying that Swift should be priced cheaper than the wimps like i10, Santro, Beat, Micra and Pulse? Hope you have seen, driven and experienced those cars too.
Yes, I have driven i10, santro and beat though not micra and pulse. But that was not my point. Why should swift price be based on what the others' price is? Would cost of production of swift be more than that of ritz? I doubt so, with more than thrice the sales and if you take parts sharing with Dzire, almost six times the sales!

Swift and Dzire are having huge margins for Maruti. It's just that they are selling so well that Maruti is able to price them like that.

I'm not going in to virtues of swift or drawbacks of other cars here, just discussing that pricing of swift is a rip-off.
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 12:53   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note : Please stick to the subject of the thread. Thanks!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 16:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All below prices in ex-showroom.

Ford Figo Titanium - 5,99,999/-
Swift ZDi - 687768/-
Punto 1.3 diesel emotion - 7,00,607/-
i20 Sportz - 7,17,099/-
i20 Asta - 7,62,938/-

Polo prices are not mentioned in the site, but I am sure it competes with i20 head on, and may be even more! I'm interested in knowing why you consider only the Swift as a rip-off here!
For the volumes that Swift generates and for the features it offers, it shouldn't cost a rupee over Figo titanium.

All Hyundai cars are overpriced IMHO, but that's OT here.

You can probably forgive Fiat here because of their minimal volume.

A Polo Highline costs around 8-10k lesser than the Swift. Now tell me, isn't the Swift grossly overpriced?

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 28th March 2013 at 16:15.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 16:34   #28
BANNED

Let's wait till Honda launch their Brio& Amaze diesel twins. The real game will begin then. I expect more offers from Maruti for their Swift & Dzire twins. After all history proves it's hard to sustain the crown all the time !!!
sivadeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 20:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
For the volumes that Swift generates and for the features it offers, it shouldn't cost a rupee over Figo titanium.
And why is that?
The Swift looks better, infact a lot better. On the inside, the new one has definitely improved. I don't hate the interiors of Figo like the exteriors, but the new Swift is a whole lot better. The ICE is awesome, it has Climate control, rear power windows and hence feature-wise better as well. Hell even the Figo misses out the MID.

In the Handling part both are good. So none of them is a deal breaker. But the 1.4L noisy donkey from Figo is no match to the brilliant 1.3MJD from Fiat. The 90K premium is worth the engine alone. The rest what you get in terms of features, looks, service is a bonus.

Of course you you can't afford the Extra 1L (Considering the discounts) Figo is a good choice. But then I would say the 1L premium is justified for Swift. Yes it is overpriced but then so is the competition.

Quote:
All Hyundai cars are overpriced IMHO, but that's OT here.
You can afford to make it overpriced if you have something special to offer. I20 does have its Plush interiors. So the overpricing is justified.

Quote:
A Polo Highline costs around 8-10k lesser than the Swift. Now tell me, isn't the Swift grossly overpriced?
Are You Sure? As fas as I know
Swift Zdi - 6.9L
Polo Tdi Highline - 7.2L
Ex showroom Delhi.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 00:11   #30
BHPian

Quote:
With a minimum of 95% localisation on most of the cars from MSIL, its definitely a rip off. The service costs are not cheaper for the MSIL cars either. I believe there is a thread on this myth.
I will not definitely call this as a rip-off. The market loves that product and hence there is a huge demand which they are simply cashing in. If one feels MSIL is ripping people off their hard-earned money, why are the people buying it? Manufacturer should be given the freedom to decide what the price is, (defenitely not for life-saving medicines/ other such products, where Govt. should have a control on). If people feel it is a rip-off, please buy another car which they feel is not ripping their money.

Coming to service, I don't know their cost, but I can certainly vouch it should be better and cheaper than Hyundai.

(I have never owned a Swift and don't intend to buy one).
Jakku is offline   Reply With Quote