Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 30th March 2013, 23:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Hyundai India confirms compact-SUV plans for 2014 & MUV for 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
No offense, but Hyundai has been No 2 since pretty long time now...
In India, the difference between No.1 & 2 is too vast to make a difference in such a less time. And isn't it commendable that they (Hyundai) are still holding to it's position over the time? See the other players who have lost their share & positions over time.

Quote:
...They should have already launched
1. A sub 4m sedan to rival Dzire and next Amaze(Just like Verna which is doing so well)
2. A Compact SUV(Duster and Ecosport almost there)
3. A People mover(Innova is enjoying good sales alone out there)
4. A 7 seater mini MUV like Ertiga/Enjoy(when Chevy could do, why not hyundai?)...
It's a business decision what needs to be done & how it needs to be done. From what I understand, Hyundai's focus is more on the profitability rather than numbers. If you notice, they hardly get into the low cost game; they usually place the products at a premium, justify the tag with features and quality; in any segment. To me, that's a better strategy in the long run. And reports say that the compact SUV & MPV might be launched this year itself.

It's probably too much to expect one brand to cater products to each segments in the country. Every brand has it's own USP and their product road map will be aligned to it. For eg, Maruti is a failure in 10L+ market, Mahindra has no products in the hatch / sedan market etc - they are still doing good. Probably TATA is the ONLY manufacturer who covers more segments than any others and still NOT having a lead in any of those segments!

To me, a brand is more successful if they can grab sizeable numbers in every segment they compete, and I believe Hyundai is the BEST bet with respect to the wide offerings and its sales numbers. I don't think there is a single product which is actually doing bad for Hyundai right now.

PS:: No offense taken. Your post is focused on the arguments than person.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th March 2013 at 23:37.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 07:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Agreed, but being No.2 in india and more aggressive player than suzuki globally i expected hyundai to come up with more models. But i guess as you mentioned they look at premium segment only ( premium here is entry level in other countries, Elantra, santa fe etc.)

Are you sure compact SUV and MPV will be launched this year itself ?
Apart from i10 diesel, we havent spotted the test mules yet.

How i wish they re launch the tuscon with more localization to compete against duster/XUV 500
Old 31st March 2013, 08:28   #18
M35
BHPian

It would interesting if Hyundai gives a thought to launch a stripped down version of its ix35 in India in the mini-SUV territory.

Some useful read here and here.
Old 31st March 2013, 10:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
It would interesting if Hyundai gives a thought to launch a stripped down version of its ix35 in India in the mini-SUV territory.

Some useful read here and here.
At 20-22 L on road for 4x4-AT it would be a runaway success. For some strange reason they are persisting with not bringing in this & wasting their time on the SantaFe.
Old 31st March 2013, 10:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. A 7 seater mini MUV like Ertiga/Enjoy(when Chevy could do, why not hyundai?)
I remember that Hyundai had showcased a mini MPV (Called Matrix or something) almost 10 years back. If that was launched with a diesel heart (which they had even at that time) it could have done wonders.
Old 31st March 2013, 11:36   #21
BHPian

The external dimension of Hexaspace are more close to Ertiga than Enjoy. And Enjoy with a box like structure, for me personally, has no aesthetic appeal.

And with Petrol engine, which now are back in demand, and non linear seating structure, I doubt Hexaspace will ever be used as a Taxi viz Innova or Diesel Ertiga.

Keep the structure soft, not bulky and box like- and you have a winner.

Only question is launch date and pricing- if they can move it fast and keep a killer price. But, it has been more than 1 year since display of concept in Jan 2012, not sure when exactly will they take it to market.
Old 31st March 2013, 14:46   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Are you sure compact SUV and MPV will be launched this year itself ?
Apart from i10 diesel, we havent spotted the test mules yet...
Am not sure, but a guess. I read in some report that Hyundai has the shortest launch time for a product in India and with that, they might be able to launch at-least one model by Diwali this year & one by March 2014.
Old 1st April 2013, 10:21   #23
BHPian

The MPV may even come with a 8 -seater configuration. That is 3-3-2 seating configuration. The gearlever will be dash integrated , to free up middle passenger space. according to a source within the company,the debate is still on as to whether front will seat two or three. This is apparently driven by cost concerns as an additional seat would mean an additional safety belt, additional anchorages, and all other costs associated with an additional seat
If hyundai can launch a 8 seater , even at a slight price premium, it will open up a USP which will take rivals some time to match.
Old 1st April 2013, 10:48   #24
BHPian

Hexaspace concept looks too space age for the current market, so Production model will be much toned down. Going by the Hyundai's latest styling language this MPV is surely going to be a looker.
I wish the space is little more practical than Ertiga and with Hyundai's brilliant CRDI's, if they load it with all the gizmos needed and price it just in between Ertiga and Innova. its going to be a perfect MPV and sure shot winner.
It will sure give Toyota Innova a run for its money and would love to see that
Old 1st April 2013, 11:12   #25
BHPian

I somehow doubt the 3 passengers seats in the front row. It will be awful for the driver, even with dashboard integrated gear lever, bumping elbows with the middle passenger and then obviously, no armrest on the left side.

Like an overcrowded Sumos and Qaulis taxis.

And with 3 seats, the seat area for all the 3 passengers may not be comfortable, even with hexagonal seating arrangement.
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:54   #26
BHPian

Response I received from Hyundai Sales Support :

Dear Mr. Rohit,

As of now we have no such plan to launch this model soon / in future.

Regards,
CR Team
Old 5th April 2013, 23:59   #27
BHPian

hexaspace which was displayed was a concept car; obviously not for mass production. But, what seems to be for mass production is Hyundai ix30.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news-g-...8680.html#sjmp

Another one, already launched, is Kia Rondo 2014, looks uncannily like Hexaspace exterior specifications from outside.

http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/02/14/20...ronto-auto-sh/

Any views on that ? this seems to be ready for Indian market.

Mods, please modify if any links against the policy.
Old 6th April 2013, 07:23   #28
BHPian

I was doing more research..and as per my understanding, if Car manufacturers continue to treat us as a 3rd world country, dumping discontinued elsewhere models in India, we might get Rondo 2012, a chunky, dated model, instead of shiny new Carens 2014, unveiled recently.
Old 8th May 2013, 11:27   #29
BHPian

Default Hyundai to launch compact SUV in 2014 and MUV in 2015

The country's second largest carmaker is planning to launch a new compact SUV next year followed by an all new MUV by 2015 reports the The Hindu Business Line. The new compact SUV will compete with models like the Renault Duster, Ford's Ecosport and Mahindra's upcoming compact SUV (S 101). The compact SUV and 6 seater MUV are likely to be based on the same platform and are being designed at Hyundai's Namyang centre in South Korea. Indian inputs for the design will be provided by Hyundai's centre in Hyderabad.

Name:  147638.jpg
Views: 42685
Size:  82.2 KB

Hyundai has been a bit late in targeting new market segments, something that rival Maruti Suzuki has done succesfully (and profitably) with models like the Dzire and Ertiga. Hyundai's competitor to the Ertiga will only arrive by 2015. There have also been reports that Hyundai is working on a competitor for the Dzire and Amaze in the sub-4 meter sedan segment.

Hyundai has an important launch coming up later this year with the next gen i10 (which will also have a 1.1 L Diesel on offer). Hyundai now has a Rs. 1,500 crore production line that can make 300,000 engines / year (diesel and petrol). Thus far Hyundai has imported Diesel engines from South Korea. Hyundai expects the next gen i10 to become its largest selling model in India. We hope that Hyundai also launches a variant of the next gen i10 Diesel with an automatic transmission, as it will open a whole new market segment that still lies untapped.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th May 2013 at 14:34.
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 15:52   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai India confirms compact-SUV and MUV plans. EDIT: expected 2014 & 2015

I feel the upcoming models from Hyundai will have a more definite (or less fluidic) design language. The new Santa FE looks like a step in that direction, and with the appointment of Peter Schreyer as the Chief Design Officer for both Hyundai and Kia (previously responsible for only Kia), I am expecting to see some bold and cleaner designs from Hyundai.
Closed Thread