Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2013, 13:02   #31
BHPian

Default Re: XUV500 to Add Cheaper and Expensive Variants

What I would like would be a variant with AT gearbox, AWD, 6 Airbags, ABS, EBD &Traction control.

No TPMS, no Voice Control, no auto this & auto that & a blank 2din space so that we can fit our own ICE.

Call it what you want (w0 or w7 or special) but Mahindra - bring it on.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 14:51   #32
BANNED

Totally agree with sridhar. Mahindra must not even provide alloys for that variant. Let the buyers decide what type of shoes they want for their XUV
Old 15th May 2013, 14:59   #33
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

While the discussion is on the possible cheaper and expensive variants and their value proposition. I feel that M&M on a higher priority does need to address the repeat niggles which are still frequently reported.

Nope the Idea is not to take away from the discussion on hand but to suggest that it would probably be more important to stabilize the current model range in a manner in which the niggles are down to a very low % before adding variants which may also imply newer trim and some additional components. The New Variants can be part of a face lift which too should be due within another 6-9 months.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 15:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Actually the one thing I would want is to give an option to add bigger, better brakes and an option to upgrade to wider profile tyres (maybe at a reasonable premium if I were to get it done outside). I haven't actually never had an emergency braking situation in an SUV but I have always been skeptical about their braking ability (as compared to a car).
Old 15th May 2013, 18:02   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
I have around 7 people in my circle, out of which 3 of them have already sold their XUV's. One of them even sold it In 6 months. Out of the rest 4 one of them sometimes thinks of selling his but doesn't because of the loss.Rest 3 are satisfied.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
And to those whom I could ask, they weren't really ready with answers. A standard & random answer - Gaadi pasand nahin aayi.....
So any idea if this has something to do with the malfunctioning of various bells and whistles, the generic fit/finish, or mechanical issues (or maybe a combination of everything)?
Understanding this would be instructive as a lower spec variant could end up being a blessing both ways: less expensive and at the same time more reliable.

Of course if the issues are of an entirely different nature then Mahindra is barking at the wrong tree, in which case sorting the niggles and improving fit/finish should be of utmost priority.

Don't know why, but for some strange reason the XUV has also become less appealing in the looks department, compared to when it was launched. Could be because the novelty factor wears off after a while, but then a comparitively sedate vehicle like the Duster if well kept, still manages to turn heads. This is strictly personal opinion of course.
Old 15th May 2013, 18:20   #36
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra to launch low spec W4 variant of XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Here you go - Link 1 and Link 2
"On the bright side, the new base model will compete against the top-end variants of the successful Renault Duster."

The competition is getting intense, first the duster, then the ecosport! Hope this move will not seriously hamper the sales of the Scorpio. In the end, the car-buyer has more options for his budget!
Old 15th May 2013, 19:03   #37
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Actually the one thing I would want is to give an option to add bigger, better brakes and an option to upgrade to wider profile tyres (maybe at a reasonable premium if I were to get it done outside). I haven't actually never had an emergency braking situation in an SUV but I have always been skeptical about their braking ability (as compared to a car).
Please take a test-drive with a XUV with upgraded brake-pads (Galfer) and the new design brake pedal. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Both the new pads and the pedal might be coming factory-fitted in recent batches.
Old 15th May 2013, 19:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

XUV cheaper edition would be a proactive method from Mahindra to beat the heat by Ertiga and the upcoming EcoSport. They would not want to play the wait and watch game what Tata did with Aria.

XUV being a more aspirational vehicle than others (maybe) M&M are trying to increase sales but having a variant in the Ertiga / Ecosport territory.
Old 15th May 2013, 19:39   #39
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
XUV cheaper edition would be a proactive method from Mahindra to beat the heat by Ertiga and the upcoming EcoSport. They would not want to play the wait and watch game what Tata did with Aria.

XUV being a more aspirational vehicle than others (maybe) M&M are trying to increase sales but having a variant in the Ertiga / Ecosport territory.
Come on!
Till now people were comparing XUV with Innova and Duster. Now you are saying that even Ertiga and Ecosport are also competitors for XUV!

If this is true, in a few days, M&M should chop the XUV in half and compete with Swift and i20 as well.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 19:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post

So any idea if this has something to do with the malfunctioning of various bells and whistles, the generic fit/finish, or mechanical issues (or maybe a combination of everything)?
Understanding this would be instructive as a lower spec variant could end up being a blessing both ways: less expensive and at the same time more reliable.

Of course if the issues are of an entirely different nature then Mahindra is barking at the wrong tree, in which case sorting the niggles and improving fit/finish should be of utmost priority.

Don't know why, but for some strange reason the XUV has also become less appealing in the looks department, compared to when it was launched. Could be because the novelty factor wears off after a while, but then a comparitively sedate vehicle like the Duster if well kept, still manages to turn heads. This is strictly personal opinion of course.
Bling can only rule for a while. Overdone OTT features, gizmos, cheap Chinese Electronics and poor fit, finish and finesse will soon come to light.
They should have created a vehicle of Quality with less bling and wasteful features but no, they tried to appeal to the innate 'greed' of the Indian psyche, giving what consumers perceived to be far more for far less of a price. Those consumers who jumped at it in the first flush are paying the price in terms of peace of mind and pocket.
True to most M&M vehicles so far, they experiment on the public with their Versions 1 and 2 and rectify most issues that crop up by Version 3. After which they chug along happily for another ten years or so by doing cosmetic upgrades and fiddly things every now and then...
I agree that the Duster is the better vehicle overall. Sticks to its brief and does a great job of that.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 20:04   #41
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Shankar, this is fast becoming another XUV bashing thread. Would appreciate if the discussion is restricted to the thread topic viz. cheaper and expensive variants of the XUV.

For bashing, you are most welcome to the Official Review and the Niggles threads.
Old 15th May 2013, 20:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Shankar, this is fast becoming another XUV bashing thread. Would appreciate if the discussion is restricted to the thread topic viz. cheaper and expensive variants of the XUV.

For bashing, you are most welcome to the Official Review and the Niggles threads.
No intention of bashing old chap. I was one of the initial consumer testing guinea pigs in 2011. Its a good car in its way but the troubles outlined in that post do exist and we would be guilty of being 'economical with the truth' if we did not admit this fact!

I am entitled to grumble a bit since we have as a family, put our money where our mouths were, on M&M vehicles over the last 30 odd years!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th May 2013 at 20:18.
Old 15th May 2013, 20:47   #43
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
No intention of bashing old chap. I was one of the initial consumer testing guinea pigs in 2011. Its a good car in its way but the troubles outlined in that post do exist and we would be guilty of being 'economical with the truth' if we did not admit this fact!

I am entitled to grumble a bit since we have as a family, put our money where our mouths were, on M&M vehicles over the last 30 odd years!
My friend, I agree that you are entitled to grumble about M&M vehicles. In fact, most of the bashing that M&M gets is well deserved.

I have also got a M&M bashing-pass with life-time validity by paying 16L Rs.

All I am saying is that let's take it to the appropriate thread. Over at the Niggles thread, myself and HotChillyPepper are in fact currently cribbing about how XUV's drifting to left is a design issue and how something as simple as a balancer-bar-bush has been goofed up during design. Most welcome to bring your own bat and join in.

Last edited by SDP : 15th May 2013 at 20:50.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 21:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

My friend, I agree that you are entitled to grumble about M&M vehicles. In fact, most of the bashing that M&M gets is well deserved.

I have also got a M&M bashing-pass with life-time validity by paying 16L Rs.

All I am saying is that let's take it to the appropriate thread. Over at the Niggles thread, myself and HotChillyPepper are in fact currently cribbing about how XUV's drifting to left is a design issue and how something as simple as a balancer-bar-bush has been goofed up during design. Most welcome to bring your own bat and join in.
Thanks mate. Its cool. Lots of brickbats about already without me adding mine!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 21:50   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
I had always been wondering about such a possibility of a cheaper variant of XUV500. Just when I was surfing through various websites, I shockingly came to know that the top end Innova, with way lesser goodies compared to the XUV, is nearly a lac costlier than the XUV W8 (2WD), that too with the XUV having a way better engine, gearbox, cruising capability, safety and features!!!! That is absolutely ridiculous and still the Innova manages a sales figure twice that of the XUV. The only two reasons I could think of were

1. Innova has lower variants that are cheaper than the XUV W6 which attract buyers looking just for a spacious MUV.
2. The solid reliability Toyota vehicles offer in general.
That's Toyota's ownership experience and reliability at play there. Trust me visiting service centres regularly ain't exactly pleasant.
Closed Thread