Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd June 2013, 03:17   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1

As promised other shots of the Octavia 2013. Additional points to note.

1. The side profile photo gives a clear view of the new wheel base

2. The European spec Ford Fiesta give you an comparative idea on the dimensions of the car

3. The closer to the driver shot gives a "Vento'ish" feeling to the Laura. Personally I feel the Octavia MQB beginnings has taken away its character. Scale of economy has sacrificed the uniqueness. Its seemed to me at least in person like a more affordable Jetta.

4. The new logo looks more official than the older more flamboyant green

Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1-20130531_172106.jpg

Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1-20130531_172117.jpg

Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1-20130531_172127.jpg

Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1-20130531_172140.jpg

Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1-20130531_172158.jpg

Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1-20130531_172207.jpg

Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1-20130531_172212.jpg
man_and_machine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 06:28   #167
Senior - BHPian

Actually I hate beige interiors. So 'common and de-classe'...
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:32   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
It looks like a full grown sedan like the Superb and not a Notchback,then why has Skoda retained the Wiper and washer on rear glass?
Its still a notchback. The boot opens in the same way as the current Laura.
Old 2nd June 2013, 09:29   #169
BHPian

The car looks really good in my opinion.
I sincerely hope they launch it here with black interiors as well. Definitely prefer the black interiors to the multitude of beige interiors in India.
If the prices are good, it's going to be a really good seller
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:53   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Actually I hate beige interiors. So 'common and de-classe'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
The car looks really good in my opinion.
I sincerely hope they launch it here with black interiors as well. Definitely prefer the black interiors to the multitude of beige interiors in India.
If the prices are good, it's going to be a really good seller
Am with you guys on this. Just hate the beige interiors. Can't understand why is beige or two tone interiors with black and beige considered upmarket. Love the all black look of the Cruze. Sadly though, it looks like the new Octavia will have black and beige interiors as has been seen in all the spy shots so far. Will just have to learn to live with it.
sunny310c is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:22   #171
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
My hunch is the Rapid will come in with the same name. The current rapid will be chopped in length(similar to what Suzuki did to the Dzire) rebadged as Fabia sedan since Fabia is dead now. There have been rumor of the vento length being shortened to save taxes and lower prices. This the current rapid will have the same fate.
Im not sure about this will happen. What skoda will do now would be reduce prices of the Laura, and then bring in the octavia. So you will have Rapid priced at 9-11L, Laura from 12-14 L & the New Octavia would be around 15-16L. The current gen Laura is a very capable car and has a decent following in India, so Skoda will continue selling it for another 2-3 years albeit the top variants.
Secondly, the Euro Rapid is a much bigger car than the current Indian Rapid and even if they manage to bring it to India, it will be much more expensive. Current Rapid's pricing is bang on and it is doing decent numbers, around 1.5k every month which is not bad for a Vento clone and Skoda has incurred no R&D expenses in making this car.
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:38   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The current gen Laura is a very capable car and has a decent following in India, so Skoda will continue selling it for another 2-3 years albeit the top variants.
The Laura will remain in the market until they finish off the CKD kits. Does not make any business sense to continue manufacturing a model (just for India) which does around 100-150 units per month.
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:45   #173
Senior - BHPian

Would it not be lovely to have Dark Blue Leather or Dark Grey Leather trim for such an elegant car? Like what BMW offers abroad. Those shades of Dark Blue are so rich and stylish to look at and they age so very well indeed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Am with you guys on this. Just hate the beige interiors. Can't understand why is beige or two tone interiors with black and beige considered upmarket. Love the all black look of the Cruze. Sadly though, it looks like the new Octavia will have black and beige interiors as has been seen in all the spy shots so far. Will just have to learn to live with it.
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:03   #174
BHPian

Beige as an interior colour has been overused and abused in our market. Of course a car with a lighter interior colour feels more airy than a darker one. Moreover, there used to be this perception that beige interiors were classier or premium - probably due to the multitude of grey and dull interiors that car makers (especially Maruti) treated us to, for many years.

But then, when every car from a Nano LX (including mine!) comes with beige interiors, it is no way premium. I prefer the blue interiors in my Ritz ZXi anyday to the Nano's beige. The beige gets dirty very easily and is a pain to maintain, especially if you have a small kid / child seat.

Even the Kizashi underwent this horrible transformation for the Indian market (the ones I had driven elsewhere had classy all black interiors). Only in India does it come with beige interiors.

I would anyday prefer an all black interior like that of the new Swift or Cruze or for that matter, even a plum / unusual colour like that of the Aria / XUV. Hope car makers see the light and change this habit of putting in beige interiors for every car!!

Coming back to the new Octavia, it is a good looking car. But I think there is too much of VW Vento / Jetta going on with the headlamps, and I really did not like the design of the alloy wheels. I know it is impossible - but I really hope that they come up with a Combi vRS someday. I used to love the old one - couldn't afford one then. Hopefully, another one will come someday!

Last edited by Viju : 3rd June 2013 at 17:06. Reason: Add info.
Old 5th June 2013, 16:48   #175
BHPian

Just saw this. The reason for posting this is I was under the impression that vRS = high revving petrol only, however, it seems that SKoda is launching a diesel vRS with 181 horses. Maybe it will make its way to India as well.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/345...evealed.aspx/0
Old 9th June 2013, 22:10   #176
Senior - BHPian

Guess who we came across on the way to Pune this evening! Here's a little video!

Last edited by kbk_75 : 9th June 2013 at 22:20.
kbk_75 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 13:36   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Astonishing: Skoda Octavia Wins Tow Car of the Year 2013

Name:  skodaoctaviawinstowcaroftheyear2013613627.jpg
Views: 4497
Size:  140.5 KB

Source: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/sk...013-61362.html
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 15:50   #178
BHPian

I don't think the New Skoda Octavia is going to come with all the bells and whistles like the European version. In some scoop pics, I didn't see any parking sensors over the sides of the front and rear bumpers, that means for sure that the Auto-Park feature for India is skipped! I am sure because the scoop pic had a Panoramic Sunroof, so it was the high end variant. Also, the navigation system (Columbus) won't make it to India, only a regular Amundsen 5" Touch panel will surely be standard across range. I hope they offer good options to buyers like they do in the UK, where they can pay for a base trim and add on goodies as and when they like.
Old 18th June 2013, 11:15   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I don't think the New Skoda Octavia is going to come with all the bells and whistles like the European version. In some scoop pics, I didn't see any parking sensors over the sides of the front and rear bumpers, that means for sure that the Auto-Park feature for India is skipped! I am sure because the scoop pic had a Panoramic Sunroof, so it was the high end variant. Also, the navigation system (Columbus) won't make it to India, only a regular Amundsen 5" Touch panel will surely be standard across range. I hope they offer good options to buyers like they do in the UK, where they can pay for a base trim and add on goodies as and when they like.
I totally agree. In fact, I would be shocked if Skoda offer all the bells and whistles they offer in Europe, especially when it comes to things like Auto-Park. I don't even think these will be available as add ons cause there might not be too many takers for these. Having said that, given the choice, I would definitely opt for it. I just hope that Skoda down strip the car down too much in order to keep the price low as that would just be a turn off, especially after having waited for so long for it to be launched.
Old 18th June 2013, 11:32   #180
Senior - BHPian

Auto Park, as it is, is a useless feature in 99% of Indian conditions. We just don't have the space available in EU conditions for it work here on a regular basis. So it should be discarded by Skoda here. Rest, they should definitely try to give GPS, at least as an option, here in India. As things have changed since they launched the Octavia II (Laura) here and GPS is now becoming a priority if not necessity. Apart from that most other features should make it to India.
Closed Thread