Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 18th June 2013, 12:36   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Auto Park, as it is, is a useless feature in 99% of Indian conditions. We just don't have the space available in EU conditions for it work here on a regular basis. So it should be discarded by Skoda here. Rest, they should definitely try to give GPS, at least as an option, here in India. As things have changed since they launched the Octavia II (Laura) here and GPS is now becoming a priority if not necessity. Apart from that most other features should make it to India.
Is autopark really useless in indian conditions? Maybe someone who has used and experienced it in the passat can share their experiences. I saw a video on fifth gear the other day on a similar feature in the 5 and it parked itself into a pretty tight spot. If i can do something similar i would be fine. I hope that they bring it, maybe doing some tweaking to the software but bring it nevertheless
Old 18th June 2013, 13:18   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Is autopark really useless in indian conditions? Maybe someone who has used and experienced it in the passat can share their experiences.
Sharing from a Passat owner's ownership thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html (2012 Volkswagen Passat Highline - The beast finally comes home!)

Quote:
Dislikes:-
Auto-Park can sometimes may not work as intended in Indian road conditions
A show-off feature?
Quote:
Though the features you mentioned are a sales-gimmick. But I have used the auto-park a fair number of times (for showing-off as well ).
Quote:
Just crossed the 8,000kms mark and no major issues to report. A couple of small issues seem to have cropped up.

2. Auto-Park seems to be acting strange. I haven't tried it enough lately. Though when I tried using it in a nice big parking lot, it seemed to have been attracted to a Hyundai I-20 parked 2 slots away!! I obviously spotted it heading there and took over the controls. Will try it again sometime and see if the same issue crops up.
Quote:
Crossed the 10,000km mark last month and the beast is still going strong!

However, the Auto-Park seems to be malfunctioning, this isn't a major worry since I use it only for my own amusement. It has probably been used 10-12 times since getting the car in December 2011. For some reason it isn't able to detect the parking slot despite driving past it. On another occasion, it didn't detect a car in the slot beside which it was guiding the me into, and nearly steered into it! Timely intervention by me prevented any contact.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 13:28   #183
BHPian

is this now same jetta size??
Old 18th June 2013, 13:38   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
It is a show off party piece. In india parking requires skill and it is a tricky job which i doubt that a computer can match.Auto park would work internationally as they have sensible parking rules and less motorbikes. A normal park assist with beepers and cam is ok to use here.
Apart from this they should include all other features which will make it a great buy.
Old 18th June 2013, 13:41   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is autopark really useless in indian conditions? Maybe someone who has used and experienced it in the passat can share their experiences. I saw a video on fifth gear the other day on a similar feature in the 5 and it parked itself into a pretty tight spot. If i can do something similar i would be fine. I hope that they bring it, maybe doing some tweaking to the software but bring it nevertheless
I have extensively used the auto park feature in the Passat and can vouch for its usability. The feature not only gets you parked in a tight spot but also can get you out of there and that is something just awesome. You give zero inputs, control the braking and gears and effortlessly get out of a tight parking spot without giving any steering input or using your judgement.

Although as DKalie mentioned the sensors do act strange at times while parking the car in a given spot and 90% of the times you are better off using the camera and the front and rear sensors and parking the car swiftly yourself rather than toying around with this.

Having said that the auto park feature should have been marketed to get out of the tight spots rather than get in, atleast in India where cars are parked so close to each other and it gets cumbersome to keep steering your way out of the spot.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 10:16   #186
BHPian

Thanks Dkaile and S2 for your inputs. both of you seem to suggest that it has problems in identifing parking spots
S2, did you ever bring up the problem of it not recognising parking spots with WV ASS. if yes, what did they have to say. I think passat is a CBU so if the same problem was there in cars globally they might have a software upgrade or something for it
Old 19th June 2013, 16:49   #187
BHPian

I found the above link on youtube. There are demonstrating autopark and also 'unpark'. Seems to be doing a decent enough job. But apparently it controls only the steering and not the throttle. is it the same way in the Passat?
Old 19th June 2013, 19:34   #188
BHPian

Quote:

I found the above link on youtube. There are demonstrating autopark and also 'unpark'. Seems to be doing a decent enough job. But apparently it controls only the steering and not the throttle. is it the same way in the Passat?
Hi Mohan,

I had done a test drive of the Passat and for me somehow the auto park feature malfunctioned, it missed the spot i had selected resulting in the car banging into a stationary truck.

I have shared my experience here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2985941 (Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review)

I do not think the sensors can identify the typical topographical features of our Indian roads and one can only use it in a proper office/mall type parking lot and not on the street. As i have mentioned in my post, the sales guy actually told me that maybe there was some dirt stuck in the sensor which is why it did not work properly.

VVB
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 20:04   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
is this now same jetta size??
I believe the wheelbase is closer to the passat than the Jetta. The Jetta's wheelbase is 2633mm, the passat is 2711mm and the new Octavia is 2686mm.
Old 20th June 2013, 11:50   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Hi Mohan,

I had done a test drive of the Passat and for me somehow the auto park feature malfunctioned, it missed the spot i had selected resulting in the car banging into a stationary truck.

I have shared my experience here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2985941 (Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review)

I do not think the sensors can identify the typical topographical features of our Indian roads and one can only use it in a proper office/mall type parking lot and not on the street. As i have mentioned in my post, the sales guy actually told me that maybe there was some dirt stuck in the sensor which is why it did not work properly.

VVB
thanks for sharing your experience. Sad that it is so unreliable here. everyone seems to suggest that. if reliable it really could have been a big boon. BTW in the passat does it control the throttle and brakes too or only the steering?
Old 20th June 2013, 11:59   #191
BHPian

Quote:
thanks for sharing your experience. Sad that it is so unreliable here. everyone seems to suggest that. if reliable it really could have been a big boon. BTW in the passat does it control the throttle and brakes too or only the steering?
Only the steering. Throttle, brakes and of course gear shifting is manual.
Old 21st June 2013, 18:40   #192
BHPian

Smile Re: Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1

Autocar india has put up an *EXCLUSIVE* video review of the all new Skoda Octavia on their website. Here is the link
Watch the complete review. It states that the petrol variant is extremely good whereas the diesel variant is a bit averagish. That's great news for petrolheads then
They have even told that it might eat into the sales of Superb and Passat
amansanc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:03   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

In the Autocar video review Hormazd Sorabjee mentioned that 1.8 TSI (180bhp) and 2.0 TDI (150bhp) are the first variants to arrive. If that’s the case, its really good news for the petrol fans.

He also mentioned that the 1.8 TSI model is vastly superior due to the sophisticated multi-link rear suspension. All other variants come with a less expensive torsion beam.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:06   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
In the Autocar video review Hormazd Sorabjee mentioned that 1.8 TSI (180bhp) and 2.0 TDI (150bhp) are the first variants to arrive. If that’s the case, its really good news for the petrol fans.

He also mentioned that the 1.8 TSI model is vastly superior due to the sophisticated multi-link rear suspension. All other variants come with a less expensive torsion beam.
He said that because the Euro models come with that spec. The 1.8 TSI is in the top version and thus gets an independent multi link suspension. I am sure the petrol version here will come here as a range starter, so I'll be surprised if that arrangement is not altered for India.

Having said that Hormazd is one of the few informed journos in India, unlike many local chap websites that gives self made scoops every now and then. He generally gets trustworthy inside information as well. If he is saying that the car will be initially launched in the top spec, it may be true. Let's wait for the real deal though.

I have a feeling though that when you factor in the discounts, the Jetta will turn out to be cheaper than the new Octavia, version to version.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 22nd June 2013 at 12:09.
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:22   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
He said that because the Euro models come with that spec. The 1.8 TSI is in the top version and thus gets an independent multi link suspension. I am sure the petrol version here will come here as a range starter, so I'll be surprised if that arrangement is not altered for India.
Well, from what I know the independent multi-link rear suspension is standard for the 1.8 TSI and above (say vRS). Rest of the models, be it the 1.6/2.0L TDI or 1.4/1.2 TSI, all comes with the torsion beam setup irrespective of the variant. This is standard across Europe. Being a CKD I don't think they will reengineer the 1.8 TSI's mechanical setup and make it cheaper for India. In other words, even a bare bone 1.8 TSI will have a sophisticated suspension setup, whereas a top trim (say L&K) 2.0 TDI will do with a torsion beam setup.

I said its a good news mainly because I was not expecting the 1.8TSI to make it to the Indian shores.
Closed Thread