Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 22nd June 2013, 12:51   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well, from what I know the independent multi-link rear suspension is standard for the 1.8 TSI and above (say vRS). Rest of the models, be it the 1.6/2.0L TDI or 1.4/1.2 TSI, all comes with the torsion beam setup irrespective of the variant. This is standard across Europe. Being a CKD I don't think they will reengineer the 1.8 TSI's mechanical setup and make it cheaper for India. In other words, even a bare bone 1.8 TSI will have a sophisticated suspension setup, whereas a top trim (say L&K) 2.0 TDI will do with a torsion beam setup.

I said its a good news mainly because I was not expecting the 1.8TSI to make it to the Indian shores.
Mulitlink suspension for the 1.8 TSi and torsion beam for the 2.0 TDi will be at odds with the Indian market , since the TDi will be the mainstay for the Octavia in India. Looks like its going to be quite pricey to start with, since the top end models will come first. At these price levels multi-link will be a must for the 2.0 TDi if it hopes to compete with cars like the Jetta, let alone the Superb and Passat. Surely the suspension will be tweaked for India to increase ground clearance and for better ride on our roads. I am hoping that while doing that they would've incorporated the multilink setup for the TDi as well.

The 1.8 TSI making it to India is great news indeed. Hormazd says its one the best motors produced by the VAG group. Having lived with it for the past two years, I couldn't agree more.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 22nd June 2013 at 12:53.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 13:18   #197
BHPian

The review for this car is out on Autocar:

I am very impressed by it. The reviewer mentions slightly hard ride and the service issues at the very end, If skoda takes care of these things I think it will be a solid product. Hmmm..
Now that I think about it, It's a solid product regardless.
Old 22nd June 2013, 13:58   #198
BHPian

Car n bike show also just reviewed it. He reviewed the 1.8 TSI and 2.0 TDI. No mention of suspension setup. Mentioned diwali launch.Pricing will be interesting
Old 22nd June 2013, 14:46   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well, from what I know the independent multi-link rear suspension is standard for the 1.8 TSI and above (say vRS). Rest of the models, be it the 1.6/2.0L TDI or 1.4/1.2 TSI, all comes with the torsion beam setup irrespective of the variant. This is standard across Europe. Being a CKD I don't think they will reengineer the 1.8 TSI's mechanical setup and make it cheaper for India. In other words, even a bare bone 1.8 TSI will have a sophisticated suspension setup, whereas a top trim (say L&K) 2.0 TDI will do with a torsion beam setup.

I said its a good news mainly because I was not expecting the 1.8TSI to make it to the Indian shores.
Well, the argument is correct. So, I agree.

I am looking forward to the TDI model though since I already have a couple of petrol cars. I think they will launch it right before Diwali and I'll analyse and buy one the two Skoda/VW twins, Octavia or Jetta by the turn of the year.
Old 22nd June 2013, 23:44   #200
BHPian

I saw the new Octavia today at talegaon on the Chakan road. Looks very impressive from the front.The headlights design resembles closely with the BMW 3 series.

Hopefully the launch is near with even the autocar review now being available.
Old 24th June 2013, 18:21   #201
BHPian

I guess the Octavia Mk1 & the Laura have the multi-link, while the Fabia & the Indian Rapid are both torsion beam Right ?
If the MK3 TSI is going to have the multi link & the TDI have the torsion bean will Skoda price them similar ?
I remember the Octy MK1 2 lit Petrol and TDI were initially priced same.
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 19:43   #202
BHPian

All the news and reviews have failed to make me understand how the new Octavia stands as compared to my currently owned Laura diesel in terms of features for the price it shall be launched at.

Some leading newspaper's reports have been as vague as declaring the expected price in the range of 9-12 lakhs and some auto magazines claiming it to be priced higher than the Laura.

My dilemma is whether to dispose off my year old Laura before Octavia is launched or it will hold its value even if the Octavia gets launched. I would love to exchange my Laura for a red Octavia if its as good a machine and comes at a similar or a lesser price point. I hereby invite advice on this issue.
Old 24th June 2013, 19:55   #203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Albatross. View Post
I would love to exchange my Laura for a red Octavia if its as good a machine and comes at a similar or a lesser price point. I hereby invite advice on this issue.
Honestly no point in letting go of your car now. Especially since its just a year old. Let the Octavia launch first, no one can predict the prices till its actually launched, so take all those with a pinch of salt. If the variants, features and price appeal to you then sell your Laura and get the Octavia. My opinion is that the Laura will not lose too much value even after the Octy is launched, firstly because its being launched with a different name and secondly look at the price of the pre fl Laura it still seems to hold a decent resale value.
Old 25th June 2013, 00:52   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
I guess the Octavia Mk1 & the Laura have the multi-link, while the Fabia & the Indian Rapid are both torsion beam Right ?
If the MK3 TSI is going to have the multi link & the TDI have the torsion bean will Skoda price them similar ?
I remember the Octy MK1 2 lit Petrol and TDI were initially priced same.
Yes you are right on Mk tdi Octy and 2.0l petrol, but there were other differences too like petrol version (vs diesel at same price) had alloys, ABS and airbags as extra. Also at that time diesel was not the default or obvious choice.
This time round things are quite different so I expect diesel to carry a premium of 1-1.2 lacs over similarly equipped petrol model. I'm sure people going to showrooms will get confused on choice of fuel for their car, as if it will really be worth shelving extra for D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Albatross. View Post
All the news and reviews have failed to make me understand how the new Octavia stands as compared to my currently owned Laura diesel in terms of features for the price it shall be launched at.

Some leading newspaper's reports have been as vague as declaring the expected price in the range of 9-12 lakhs and some auto magazines claiming it to be priced higher than the Laura.
From what I read in one of the interviews of Skoda chief, the company plans to make new Octavia a proper value for money like Superb and Rapid. This could well be translated into that Octy might be a tad cheaper than the laura. What Skoda might do is that it could price top model Laura similar to base model Octavia, and actually no base models for Laura.
Also, pricing the Octavia higher than Laura would jeopardize whatever small sales Jetta is managing and in that price range diff with Superb will also reduce which might not be good for company.
There have been quite a few value for money launches in recent past so I wont be surprised if Skoda takes the route of Mahindra XUV, Renault Duster, Ford Ecosport (all are suv or as I call them pseudo SUV though )

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please avoid posting with excessive dots in your post. Please go through the posting rules before proceeding.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th June 2013 at 03:53. Reason: Merging back to back posts + corrected formatting issues in posts.
Old 27th June 2013, 17:15   #205
BHPian

Just got to know from a very reliable source within Skoda that we can expect a September - October launch and pricing around 16 to 17L, he has also mentioned that the launch of the Octavia will mean an end of the road for the Laura. He was very sure that the Laura will be discontinued so the pricing of the Octavia would be in the similar price range or slightly higher than the outgoing Laura.

He mentioned that the kit and comfort on offer would even effect sales of the Superb and will capture whatever little market share that the Altis, Cruze and Jetta currently have.

VVB
vvb8530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 18:04   #206
BHPian

The pricing is going to be really interesting. Are they going to stick to their global branding strategy and price it below the VW Jetta, or just price it on the merits of the car? Pricing around 16 to 17L seems a bit too high, since the Superb is not that much more. Think they will have to give a value pricing and price it below the outgoing Laura.
Old 27th June 2013, 18:50   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel View Post
The pricing is going to be really interesting. Are they going to stick to their global branding strategy and price it below the VW Jetta, or just price it on the merits of the car? Pricing around 16 to 17L seems a bit too high, since the Superb is not that much more. Think they will have to give a value pricing and price it below the outgoing Laura.
Hey Manuel,

If the Laura is going then Octavia would be its replacement hence there is no chance that they will price it lower rather IMHO they will price it slightly higher. Which would also mean pricing it slightly lower than the Jetta which i think will be a good strategy for them.

VVB
Old 27th June 2013, 19:08   #208
BHPian

IMO,they should launch the new Octavia at about 15lakhs and slowly phase out the Laura.Then,maybe later they should launch the European Rapid in the 10-15lakhs space and maybe call it the Laura
Wishful thinking but who knows it could be a good move as they would have sedans from 7-25 lacs.
Old 27th June 2013, 20:42   #209
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
he has also mentioned that the launch of the Octavia will mean an end of the road for the Laura. He was very sure that the Laura will be discontinued so the pricing of the Octavia would be in the similar price range or slightly higher than the outgoing Laura.
In the scoop section of the Autocar show some months back, Hormazd Sorabjee had mentioned that Laura & the new Octavia will co-exist for a while before Laura gets phased out.
Initially as speculated only the top spec Octavia would be launched. Lower spec variants will only be added later on, i guess by that time the Laura would have been discontinued!
Hormazd gets it right most of the time so i guess we should believe him.
Old 27th June 2013, 23:14   #210
BHPian

Went for a TD of the Laura Diesel. Was talking to the Dealer who told me that the Octavia will be launched sometime around Diwali and also that this is not replacing the Laura. The Octavia is being launched at a price point between the Rapid and the Laura. Guess we have to just wait and watch which way Skoda rolls the dice.

Cheers.
Closed Thread