Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th April 2013, 08:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Mahindra Scorpio SLE 4X4 launched? EDIT : Nope

This may be Stale news for some,but i do not see the discussion anywhere.
At 10.72L this makes an affordable 4X4 with ABS.So now Mahindra has 4X4 Versions Across the range,LX 4X4,SLE 4X4,VLX 4X4,VLX Automatic 4X4.

Kudos to Mahindra for this.

http://www.cartoq.com/mahindra-launc...rs-10-72-lakh/
akshay4587 is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 09:36   #2
BHPian

Default re: Mahindra Scorpio SLE 4X4 launched? EDIT : Nope

Thanks for starting the thread, akshay4587. I was also thinking of opening a similar thread for the SLE 4X4. At this price tag, the SLE 4X4 is sure to sell like hotcakes, especilly for those who are enthusiastic for adventure sports but can't afford to compromise on looks and comfort. Take for example, who does not want to have a Gypsy? A Bolero? But, considering our families and budget, no one is willing to spend lacs of money for a car with hardly any comfort (gypsy) and looks (bolero).
Wishing a great success to Mahindra.
BTW, I had no idea about 4X4 being offered in Scorpio LX.

Quote:
Features: ABS, 4X4, powered outside mirrors, manual HVAC with rear vents, defogger, rear wiper, front fog lamps, keyless entry with immobilizer, power windows, central locking, etc.
I think at 10.72L, it is decently loaded with features, though it does not come with OEM HU. I feel that the LX 4X4 would be much preffered by modifiers.
Loud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 11:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
This may be Stale news for some,but i do not see the discussion anywhere.
At 10.72L this makes an affordable 4X4 with ABS.So now Mahindra has 4X4 Versions Across the range,LX 4X4,SLE 4X4,VLX 4X4,VLX Automatic 4X4.

Kudos to Mahindra for this.

http://www.cartoq.com/mahindra-launc...rs-10-72-lakh/
Thats a good news and its a much needed variant. LX is too basic for many and the VLX goes too expensive. SLE is a VFM variant with comfort and safety and 4x4 SLE is even better. Though I do not have any immediate plans of replacing my Scorpio, I always had my eye on SLE because of ABS, SLE 4x4 tempts me more.
asdfvinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 12:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Scorpio is fats emerging as an evergreen SUV that is still rocking the sales charts for M & M, if we are to go by the sales charts.

The XUV 500 has taken a beating in the recent months after the initial hype and take off.

The Xylo maintains its sales figures at 2000 plus/ minus a few hundred units. I had test drive one in 2009. The interior plastics are cheap and the plasticized chrome was looking awful reminding me of the cheap Chinese toys!

The Quanto has failed to click as per M & M 's expectations.

So its wiser for M & M to offer upgrades on the Scorpio and if necessary go for another refreshed version. This one has done four years in the market March 2009 - April 2013 and continuing. In fact they should offer ABS and airbags as options in the Scorpio LX version too!

The Duster's popularity is giving sleepless nights to M & M bosses. And lets hope more and more good things will follow from M & M.

( Incidentally and coincidentally, my Scorpio registration no. is 4040 and my 4040th post is dedicated to the Scorpio )

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 6th April 2013 at 12:50.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 12:36   #5
BHPian

Hello all,
Great news for 4wd fans. Although M&M should have launched this long ago. Duster 4wd effect, I believe !!

Long live competition !!!

The specs seems to be updated :-

Name:  scorp2 (Custom).bmp
Views: 4905
Size:  985.6 KB

Name:  scorpio1 (Custom).bmp
Views: 4756
Size:  985.6 KB

But not the prices :-

Name:  scorpio3 (Custom).bmp
Views: 4887
Size:  993.5 KB

Apologies for low res screenshots.

QUERY - Does the absence of Anti-roll bar in the 4wd variant make it less safe than the 2wd variant?

Regards,
Varun

Last edited by powertrain : 6th April 2013 at 13:03. Reason: query added
powertrain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 13:45   #6
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep mahindra is giving 4X4 lovers an opportunity across all price bands. Unlike the approach from TATA. So while there is the Thar, the Scorpio Range and the XUV W8.

About 10L difference between the cheapest 4X4 that M&M sells and the most expensive one.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 16:37   #7
BHPian

nice options from Mahindra, the model also satisfies the demands of the army.Could this be the replacement of Gypsy??
trinadha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 16:49   #8
BHPian

Scorpio 4x4 will offer a bumpy ride than a normal 4x2 scorpio, guys who propose to use this for family & offroading has to think twice , before picking it.

4X4 Scorpio - front suspension has a torsion bar (like THAR CRDe) and 4x2 Scorpio front suspension has a coil spring !!.

Scorpio 4x4 machine cant match to a hard core offroading machine.Please don't sacrifice your comforts for the sake of a 4x4 badge!! .

Last edited by Rajith : 6th April 2013 at 16:50.
Rajith is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 00:44   #9
BANNED

On a personal opinion, I would never buy an off-road toy and use it for family use as well. Reason, the on road ride quality will be bad, or mostly bumpy.

Having driven the Thar CRDe mostly on road, I can say that such vehicles are perfect for off-road trails but not at all for family.
fx45 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 12:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Scorpio 4x4 will offer a bumpy ride than a normal 4x2 scorpio, guys who propose to use this for family & offroading has to think twice , before picking it.

4X4 Scorpio - front suspension has a torsion bar (like THAR CRDe) and 4x2 Scorpio front suspension has a coil spring !!.

Scorpio 4x4 machine cant match to a hard core offroading machine.Please don't sacrifice your comforts for the sake of a 4x4 badge!! .
Having a 4X4 does not always mean,that the user will go and attend Hardcore OTR's with Jeeps and Gypsies.For someone who is into touring up north in Himalayas,a 4WD option is always a good to have feature in case of emergencies like muck and snow.I for one would sacrifice a bit of comfort for a more capable vehicle,and yes majority of the scorpio's i see in Himachal are 4WD.
akshay4587 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 13:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I do not think so, going by the feedback from 4wd owners, 4wd has equally good ride quality, some of them even claim it to be better than coil sprung 2wd.

And AFAIK Thar Crde comes with Independent front suspension which has coil springs, not torsion bar. I hope you are not confusing torsion bar for leaf springs, torsion bar is not a bad setup for SUVs.

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th April 2013 at 14:50. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 13:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I do not think so, going by the feedback from 4wd owners, 4wd has equally good ride quality, some of them even claim it to be better than coil sprung 2wd.

And AFAIK Thar Crde comes with Independent front suspension which has coil springs, not torsion beams. I hope you are not confusing torsion bar for leaf springs, torsion bar is not a bad setup for SUVs.
Hi,

Handle - 4x4 addict will be one of the right person in this forum to say about bumpy ride Scorpio of a 4wd as he has recently sold a SCORPIO VLX 4WD - with in 2-3 years of purchase in a mouth watering price tag for the new customer.

Thar crde is having torsion bar and Thar Di is having leaf spring. No Thar ever released with IFS and coil springs set ups. I own a THAR CRDe since 2011.

BD & Spike sir -- Welcome.

Last edited by Rajith : 8th April 2013 at 13:51.
Rajith is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 13:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Having a 4X4 does not always mean,that the user will go and attend Hardcore OTR's with Jeeps and Gypsies.For someone who is into touring up north in Himalayas,a 4WD option is always a good to have feature in case of emergencies like muck and snow.I for one would sacrifice a bit of comfort for a more capable vehicle,and yes majority of the scorpio's i see in Himachal are 4WD.
Hi,

All depends upon the place & terrain you live/drive daily.

Sacrificing the comfort has to be debated after driving a 4wd Scorpio for couple of days with family before purchase.

As show room purchase is a irreversible process and its also a above 10-15 Lac buy depending upon the variant and province (LTT) one prefers and stays.

Rajith.

Last edited by Rajith : 8th April 2013 at 13:50.
Rajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 13:53   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thar crde is having torsion bar and Thar Di is having leaf spring. No Thar ever released with IFS and coil springs set ups. I own a THAR CRDe since 2011.
Just checked, yes Thar does come with Torsion bar setup.

But, Scorpio 2wd even with the coil springs has a very uncomfortable ride.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 14:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

But, Scorpio 2wd even with the coil springs has a very uncomfortable ride.
Then you can you can imagine the ride quality of Scorpio 4wd set up which runs with a Torsion bar.

Urban families will give up and in due course of time and vehicle may find space in TBHP classifieds soon.
Rajith is offline   Reply With Quote