Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th April 2013, 18:07   #1
BHPian

Default Toyota's future diesel engine plans (and their significance for India)

This is an article on future Toyota Diesel engine line-up (along with their tie-up plans for sourcing BMW diesels) that has been compiled from various automotive blogs and websites.

First of all, lets see the current Toyota diesel engine line-up:
  • Toyota KD series: This is the series which powers the Toyota IMV platform vehicles (Innova, Fortuner and Hilux), Prado and some commercial vehicles. Production in Thailand. It has two members:

1. 1KD-FTV: The 1KD-FTV is a 3.0L (2982cc) straight-4 common rail diesel engine with a variable geometry turbocharger and Intercooler. It has 16 valves and a DOHC (double overhead camshaft) design. Bore is 96 mm and stroke is 103 mm. It generates 170 hp (127 kW) at 3400 rpm, and 260 lbfft (352 Nm) of torque at 1800-3400 rpm.

2. 2KD-FTV: The 2KD-FTV is the 2nd generation of the KD series of engine with a smaller 2.5 L (2494 cc) displacement. Bore remains the same 92 mm but stroke is increased to 93.8 mm. It has 16 valves and is a DOHC engine with a turbocharger and intercooler. It produces 101 horsepower (75 kW) at 3400 rpm and 191.7 lbft (260 Nm) of torque at 1600-3600 rpm without an intercooler and 118 hp (88 kW) at 3400 rpm and 239.85 ftlbf (325 Nm) of torque at 1600-3600 rpm for the intercooled version. Toyota Thailand, however, has updated the turbocharger to variable nozzle turbo (VNT) with intercooler. Related Link: (Rumour: Fortuner to get 2.5 D-4D in India). This increased the horsepower to 142 hp (106 kW) at 3400 rpm and torque to 343 Nm (253 lbft) at 1600-2800rpm. Compression ratio is 18.5:1. The only major changes from the 1KD-FTV to the 2KD-FTV was the bore and the stroke.

• Toyota AD series: The Toyota AD engine family is a series of 16 valve DOHC inline-4 turbo diesel engines with electronic common rail direct injection. The AD engine is offered in 2.0 and 2.2 liter versions. Production in Europe. It powers cars like Toyota Auris, Verso, Avensis, RAV4 Diesel et al.

• Toyota ND series: The 1ND-TV (1.4 D-4D) is a compact Inline 4 turbocharged diesel engine. Introduced into European market in 2002 with the Yaris XP1, it was Toyota's first diesel engine to be equipped with an aluminium cylinder block. Principal aims of its development were low emissions and fuel consumption, reduction of mass (dry weight is 99 kg) and reduction of noise. This is the engine that we get in Liva, Etios and Altis in India. This engine is also finds application in Toyota Yaris and Auris (Corolla Hatch) in Europe. Production in Japan.

Now lets see the future of these engine line-ups:
  • Toyota KD series: This engine has been upgraded with the i-ART system which equips each injector with a pressure sensor that communicates its fuel pressure to the engine ECU and, in doing so, significantly reduces exhaust emissions and increases fuel efficiency, compared with the conventional open-looped technology that does not have feedback function from the injectors. i-ART-equipped versions of the 3-liter 1KD-FTV 4-cylinder diesel debuted in the Brazilian market version of the Hilux pickup truck in April 2012. The i-ART upgrade allows this engine to meet Euro 6 specifications and hence will continue in Toyota line-up.

P.S. Volvo has also implemented i-ART system in their upcoming diesel line-up and are claiming it to be world's first. However, Toyota is already using the i-ART in Brazilian Hilux from April 2012. http://www.autoevolution.com/news/vo...ogy-57579.html

• Toyota AD series: This is the engine line that will be replaced by the BMW engines (exclusive for european consumption and all those countries where made in Europe Toyota Diesel cars are exported e.g. Australia). The BMW engines WILL NOT come to India. For BMW diesel equipped Toyotas to be available in India, we must get a car manufactured from Europe. Currently, we get all our cars and kits from Japan or ASEAN countries only. Related Link (Toyota and BMW agree to tie up)

• Toyota ND series: This engine will be discontinued in Europe when Euro 6 norms kick in. A prototype of this engine with i-ART system is under development and preliminary tests have shown that Euro 6 compliance can be achieved by this engine. Based on market conditions in Europe, this engine may be offered at a later date. However, this engine in its current avatar will continue to be sold in India. Toyota may also decide to move its production to India from Japan.

Lexus Diesel Plans:
In one word - NO. Lexus has made clear that it plans to phase out the diesel engine from its line-up and focus exclusively on hi-tech Hybrids. It plans to go for a hybrid only line-up (with some regular petrol only models as entry level options only). As of date the IS 220d sedan (utilizing Toyota 2.2 AD series) was the last remaining diesel model which is getting replaced as the 2014 IS sedan is being rolled out in various Lexus markets.

I will keep this thread updated as more information rolls in future.

MODS: Please move it to appropriate section, if required. Thanks.
sarthakgupta is offline   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 19:19   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota's future diesel engine plans (and their significance for India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
[*]2KD-FTV: The 2KD-FTV is the 2nd generation of the KD series of engine with a smaller 2.5 L (2494 cc) displacement. Bore remains the same 92 mm but stroke is increased to 93.8 mm. It has 16 valves and is a DOHC engine with a turbocharger and intercooler. It produces 101 horsepower (75 kW) at 3400 rpm and 191.7 lbft (260 Nm) of torque at 1600-3600 rpm without an intercooler and 118 hp (88 kW) at 3400 rpm and 239.85 ftlbf (325 Nm) of torque at 1600-3600 rpm for the intercooled version.
Which of these powers the Innova? I am pretty sure the current Innova has an intercooler and develops 101 hp.

Last edited by rrsteer : 14th April 2013 at 19:21.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 19:24   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota's future diesel engine plans (and their significance for India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Which of these powers the Innova? I am pretty sure the current Innova has an intercooler and develops 101 hp.
The current Innova has a 2KD-FTV engine with Intercooler, producing 102PS/100.6 BHP.

Source:
http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new...nova/spec.aspx
shivs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 19:50   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the information.
With competition hotting up,especially in the entry level sedan segment, with Honda launching some impressively specced Diesel engines,its about time Toyota spruced up their staid powertrains and injected some more pep in their Diesel mills.
Am sure the next gen INNOVA will have a higher powered Diesel, maybe even a Diesel with a Auto'Box option. Altis can easily be given a 100+Ps oil burner and the ETIOS Twins power bumped upto 80-90Ps level to take on the AMAZE's , SWIFT's, DZIRE's, i20's and even the VISTA D90.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 13:12   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Agreed with Arjab. Except for the Fortuner, every other Toyota diesel in India is under-powered for its segment.

Be it the 68 BHP Liva / Etios (most competitors have 74 - 99 BHP), 87 BHP Altis (where the norm is 140 - 160 BHP) and the 101 BHP Innova.

I understand durability & detuning for economy but the fact is, neither of these cars offer the performance that is expected of their segment.

With reference to Lexus, as highlighted in my thread, the lack of a full diesel lineup will hurt the brand badly.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 13:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

The Innova badly needs the new 2KD-FTV engine with VNT rates at 142BHP. If not that then there is also a 118BHP version. Only in India are they still flogging the 101BHP engine.

Same goes for Etios and Liva. They need the Altis tuned 88BHP engine instead of the old 68BHP one.

In the segment, the Sx4, Sunny and now Amaze have 90PS - 100PS.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 15:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Toyota's Corolla has been selling worldwide with a 2.0L D4D engine since many years. The least they can do is to introduce the upgraded version of the same engine immediately in India. Toyota really treats Indian Market as 2nd rate sometimes.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 15:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd really like to thank Toyota for selling the Innova with that 'underpowered' 2.5L mill. Our highways are a lot safer, thanks to you Toyota.

I dread the day when 140 hp Innovas start roaming our highways
Santoshbhat is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 16:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I'd really like to thank Toyota for selling the Innova with that 'underpowered' 2.5L mill. Our highways are a lot safer, thanks to you Toyota.

Dont worry, Toyota will anyway charge it so high that it will be beyond the reach of those people. My guess is they will have two engine options like M&M, one for cab and another for private users.

I am looking forward to Toyota launching up to date global models in our markets.

Coming to safety, you dont need Innova to create havoc on our roads, I have seen people do it with Omni as well !!
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 23:43   #10
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th April 2013 at 12:18.
junaid12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 16th April 2013, 01:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

While we are at it, I found an interesting document that seems to outline the differences between the 2KD-FTV (Read Innnova 2.5 liter engine though this engine is used in half a dozen vehicles including Fortuner models sold abroad) and 1KD-FTV (Read the Fortuner 3.0 liter engine in India)

Reproducing the link below that contains the file

http://vibratoare.prospectiuni.ro/DO...EG_Control.doc
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 06:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

These Innova taxi drivers are a menace. They should NOT be given any more power than they already have. They only know how to misuse it.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 08:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Innova badly needs the new 2KD-FTV engine with VNT rates at 142BHP. If not that then there is also a 118BHP version. Only in India are they still flogging the 101BHP engine.
How I wish your words come true Vid. It seems an absolutely 3rd world treatment to Indian public in the name of quality, longevity, reliability and FE by tuning down the much higher performance capable engine. However, is even the FE at 10-11-12(rare) in city and maxing at 14-15-16(rare) on highway a true projection of its FE capabilities is a big Q!

To add to this, more than the boosted up power, it dearly needs boosted torque and low range driveability in situations that demand.
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 10:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
These Innova taxi drivers are a menace. They should NOT be given any more power than they already have. They only know how to misuse it.
+1 to that. Also it's not only taxi's even personal vehicles are also driven like that. I always slow down if i see a Innova and give way, so that i can drive peacefully.

Thanks, Prakash.
prakasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 14:55   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

No wonder the new Innova is delayed i.e. as per the April ACI edition it clearly states that the new Innova will get a more powerful engine & an A/T too

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 8023
Size:  77.7 KB

Last edited by karan561 : 16th April 2013 at 14:56.
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote