Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th April 2013, 10:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

While Maruti has impressive numbers to boast, but its losing the overall market share.

Though a big reason for that is also market expansion led by German, and other Japanese automobiles.

Maruti, which had around 60% market share some years back is today at less than 45% (could be even lower)

Cars numbers though may have been good, but others are catching up in the increased market space, little Maruti can do about it.

Reinventing themselves is the key, which Maruti did very well, see how Hindustan Motors lost it in a diesel market. (From its hey days)

All the best to them to keep on working on new products in line with customer expectations.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 11:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Suzuki's Enormous Scale

MSIL has for sure come a long way. They did get preferential treatment during the days of MUL which helped them set shop in a big way. Now they are up for competition against many world renowned marques. Having weathered many storms, Somehow feel that they will lose sheen in the future days. They would need to do something to counter what the rivals are throwing up.
They have lacked a proper diesel SUV to take on the likes of XUV 500, A well balanced B Segment Cross Over like Duster.

Maruti is a very good car for people aspiring to buy cars for their first & second times. But they are found lacking on the premium C Segment.

Hopefully with Alpha they might be able to bridge the gap to Duster but they have failed in getting up to the premium C Segment.

Good Show and a long way since they have come though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
While Maruti has impressive numbers to boast, but its losing the overall market share.
Mate,
Would be least interested in market share and percentage games. All that would matter is the numbers and MSIL are right up there. They have grown more than the industry rate which is very hard to do.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 12:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Maruti's success is largely due to the fact that it is the largest operation by far for the parent company - hence it gets its undivided attention (almost, anyway).

For all the other foreign carmakers, the Indian market is small in the overall scheme of things. Unless they also turn the local business into an export hub like Hyundai (and now some others), that is.

This may also become Maruti's problem as the market matures - it is a child that has become way bigger than the parent, which will be a handicap as the others have access to more current and relevant technology from their parent cos that have significantly larger operations elsewhere.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 14:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

India is still primarily a small displacement hatchback country.

Hatchbacks suit our narrow, crowded roads, expensive fuel prices and non existent parking spaces.

Suzuki is known to be amongst the world's best small displacement hatchback manufacturers since its inception.

The two put together, coupled with some of the best talent in the country have made MUL, in Nehru's words, one of the biggest "temples of modern India."

May it continue to prosper.
n.devdath is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 15:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading on MUL website few years back that a Maruti is manufactured every 26 seconds, now they have brought it to 16, awesome. What I read must be before launch of Swift I guess.

We all love Maruti but when it comes to own one I couldn't find a car from MUL stable as they didn't find time to come up with :
1. A proper Sedan (SX4 is Macho and Dzire is compact) that can be elegant like Linea, Vento or City. They had Esteem but it wasn't replaced or relaunched.
2. A proper spacious Hatch like i20, Jazz.
3. Compact SUV (X-UV) like Fusion, Duster, Yeti and EcoSport.
4. Comfortable People mover like Innova.

Now with the launches of Eeco and Ertiga, MUL has few products in their range which have no substantial competition eg, Alto 800, Omni, Eeco, Ertiga.
If they launch SX4 based XUV with its stunning looks, it would do the same to Duster, etc. what Amaze is doing to Dzire and Indigo CS.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 16:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
If you ask me there are actually 2 cars from maruti that I would buy today. The Swift and the Alto K10. I.
I own both of them.

However, I would also like to have a Gypsy. The issues that are stopping me from buying one are company fitted AC and power steering.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 18:56   #22
BHPian

Verily an eye popper, can you post pictures of the other facilities of other manufacturers as well?
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 23:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosoin View Post
A look into the scale of Maruti Suzuki - the company that produces a third of all cars produced in India.

Excerpts :

link
And, solvents for their paint shops are delivered in tankers to be filled in Petrol-bunk style underground storage tanks. (Average paint shops typically consume solvents in 200 litre barrels). And this was way back in 1999.
rangarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 12:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I know some people who would not buy anything else but Wagonr (god knows why).
While driving enthusiasts won't touch it with a barge pole, the ulitility offered by the WagonR at it's price point is simply unmatched.

I have seen people being spoilt by the space offered, headroom, easy ingress, high seating position and visibility of bonnet, to such an extent that all other cars seem a compromise to them.

And Maruti understands these aspects like no other manufacturer does, probably another factor for it's success.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 13:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

I had bought a hyundai Santro as my very first own car, and used it for 5 years before switching to a Maruti Swift diesel in 2010. Both were amazing cars and both companies have decent customer service. No major issues encountered with either one, however the sheer scale of Maruti service centers gives me a reassurance that I won't be stranded in the event of my ride requiring repairs.

What I would like Maruti to do in future:

1) Offer ABS and Airbags as optional fitments on all products and trims
2) Improve the quality of plastics and upholstery (seeing some welcome changes in the new swift already)
3) Launch a diesel SUV like the GV or even the Gypsy
4) Launch a revamped Kizashi with more localization at a cheaper price point
5) Review cost of spares and service, which are becoming prohibitive of late.

All the best to Maruti and good to read about the very interesting statistics on their production figures.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 15:11   #26
BHPian

GV and Kizashi are classic examples of brand image. MUL or Suzuki product has been taken as "hamara" products by every Indians, so expect to be affordable to "aamchi" population. Also inapt product promotion and marketing style catalyzed the failure of these models. Never got a response for the online TD request booked for Kizashi, and same is the experience of another friend in Mumbai.
Suzuki is good in customer support and everyone (mechanics) is aware of the product even in remote village of this country. So offers a tension free ownership, which is the reason person opt Suzuki products more and more, I feel.
sujithpnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 15:40   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

A good product (as perceived by the consumer) will sell. Period. Nothing to do with any brand image or the lack of it.

How many people in a diesel-obsessed country that looks for VFM (more metal for the money) will pick up a petrol-sipping CBU SUV with SGP parts that would be hard to source and costly too ? And that too a car that is not really having very great bulk or road-presence. Same with the Kizashi, which is another petrol-sipper CBU that comes in at much higher prices than is expected. Add to it the fact that engine/power wise it is in Accord territory, but size-wise is not.

The classic example is the routing the Baleno received when introduced alongside its peers the City and Lancer. Line up the 3 cars and if asked to choose one among them with price being the same, most people will pick either the Lancer or City, both of which look better (subjective, but majority opinion). So it was a positioning mistake there, not about brand image. And when they reduced the prices on the Baleno, it started selling well - I picked one too - for 5.8 lakhs, it was a sweet deal with a potent engine, good FE, almost no maintenance even at its 8th year with me & the best a/c in town.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 20:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
While driving enthusiasts won't touch it with a barge pole, the ulitility offered by the WagonR at it's price point is simply unmatched.

I have seen people being spoilt by the space offered, headroom, easy ingress, high seating position and visibility of bonnet, to such an extent that all other cars seem a compromise to them.

And Maruti understands these aspects like no other manufacturer does, probably another factor for it's success.
The price of Wagonr Ex-showroom Delhi is,
Lxi-3.9
Vxi- 4.2
VxiABS- 4.5

I have 2 alternatives for WagonR.
BEAT
Base - 3.9
LS - 4.1
LT - 4.6

It has a better engine
Much better interiors
More feature laden
Rides a lot better
And looks exceptionally better

If you think the Beat is a bit small,
the other option is FIGO
Lxi - 3.9
Exi - 4.3
Zxi - 4.6

It has a more space
It has a more boot space
Better interiors
HANDLING
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 00:03   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^You missed the main positives of the WagonR which avisidhu highlighted ie. space offered (volume), headroom, easy ingress, high seating position etc. The Figo, while a good car in its own right (the TDCi) does not have most of these attributes. The Beat looks confused and quirky. Not that the WagonR is a looker. It is not, but what goes in it's favour is that it is practical, which the Beat is not. If the Beat was indeed as good as you put it, then with the diesel heart added, it should have routed the competition, but that is not the case. You still have 15K+ people buying the WagonR every month.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 00:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

And add to it that
1. The wagon R is more airy than the Beat where sitting in the rear is claustrophobic.
2. Wagon R has plenty of boot space vis--vis the Beat
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote