Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th April 2013, 15:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mini starts local assembly at BMW's Chennai Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
I don't understand these manufacturers, and their marketing/sales plans. Isn't it the idea that you sell as much as you can, while investing as little as you can. If that is the idea and the balance - when it is as big a market as India, why not tilt it a little towards the investment side, so that the sales also pick up.
Pretty easy to explain. Ultimately, everything boils down to the amount of profit a company makes at the end of the financial year. They may sell fewer units at higher profit margins (niche player), or a lot of units at thin profit margins (mass market player).

By having high profit margin for Mini, BMW is able to meet the target profit and also keep the exclusivity factor of Mini. Also, the sales/service centres are less crowded, so that each customer gets 100% attention (I know, we have a thread about Mini's battery problems :-D ). The investment on labour at the assembly factory will also be less, as the same labourers can be used on other products.

As more and more sales/service centres open up, we may see the price of Mini reducing or remaining the same over the years.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 15:40   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Gotta love BMW's commitment to the Indian market.
+1.

But I wonder why the notorious Countryman was chosen, instead of 'the mini'- which is the single most popular model in their lineup. Have sales in India proved otherwise?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 22:13   #18
BHPian

This is the news I so wanted to hear. Its strange that the production has started but there is no information about capacity and the horses the diesel mill will deliver.
Hopefully the other Mini models shall also start getting produced/assembled in India soon.
Really an eye opener for the brands who are reluctant in setting up assembly in India citing poor sales figures.
.Albatross. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 13:52   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sorry guys, I should've been clearer. Updated prices marked with *.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Current ex-showroom prices are as follows:

Mini Cooper : 26,60,000
Mini Cooper S : 29,90,000

Mini Cooper Convertible : 32,50,000

Mini One Countryman* : 23,50,000
Mini Cooper D Countryman* : 25,60,000
Mini Cooper D Countryman High* : 28,90,000
Mini Cooper S Countryman : 34,20,000
Mini Cooper S Countryman High : 37,50,000

* The Updated Prices
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 01:48   #20
BHPian

Default Mini starts assembly in India.

According to sources, Mini Countryman is now being assembled in India and is being offered with a diesel engine as well.
India, is the third country, after UK and Austria, where the Mini is being manufactured/assembled. Outside Europe, for the first time ever.

It will be available in 2 diesel variants and one petrol.
1.6 litre diesel with peak power of 120bhp and torque 270Nm.
The prices are as follows:
Mini Cooper Countryman D: 25.6L ex-showroom Mumbai.
Mini Cooper Countryman D High: 28.9L ex-showroom Mumbai.

The Cooper and Cooper S will continue to be imported as CBUs and no change in pricing is expected.
The assembly of Mini Countryman in India is supposed to have started from April 2013.
rowhun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 09:52   #21
BHPian

Default Re: Mini starts assembly in India.

No manual, no sale. Not interested in the Countryman anyway
Harbir is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:52   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

First Countryman rolls off the India Assembly Line:

Mini starts local assembly at BMW's Chennai Plant-mr.-robert-frittrang-md-bmw-plant-chennai-mini-countryman-.jpg
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think the CountryMan was chosen as being more suited to the Indian scenario of lousy roads necessitating high ground clearance and our "family orientation" necessitating the 4 door approach.
Clearly "bigger is better" even in the case of the "MINI" as per their research into the Indian psyche and hence their decision.

This is only my surmise as per what seems logical and having been observing the car buying behaviour in India by Indians, for a while now.

I have no inside info at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
+1.

But I wonder why the notorious Countryman was chosen, instead of 'the mini'- which is the single most popular model in their lineup. Have sales in India proved otherwise?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 14:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

There is a 45 Day Waiting for the countryman D variants in hyderabad.

The most preferred color being the red & black combo, i believe they have discontinued the dark blue/white combo due to lukewarm response from the customers.

Service packages range from 1 Lac for three years / 50,000 kms & 2.45 Lacs for five years / 70,000 kms.

Any Reviews planned up soon, mods or fellow bhpians?
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:36   #25
BHPian

I love the mini so much. And want it to be my next change. (Maybe 5-6 years down the line, when there is barely enough space for a Mini on Bangalore roads)
Guess, most of the parts will be localized by then, and we have it as a competitor to a normal sedan of the same engine capacity.
vinya_jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 02:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
Any Reviews planned up soon, mods or fellow bhpians?
I'll post a review within the next ten days or so!
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 14:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
I'll post a review within the next ten days or so!
thanks kbk, will be waiting keenly for it!

which version is yours: Petrol or Diesel? any initial impressions?
Old 24th June 2013, 15:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks kbk, will be waiting keenly for it!

which version is yours: Petrol or Diesel? any initial impressions?
Haven't picked it up yet!

I'm getting the Cooper S variant with the turbocharged 1.6 litre Petrol engine. I test drove the car quite a bit and initlal impressions were mostly good.

The car rides well in my opinion, given that the suspension is heavily biased towards performance rather than outright comfort, and that it rides on 17" RFTs. Steering has a nice, solid feel to it and is surprisingly weighty. The engine is a little beauty and there is plenty of grunt to be had from low-down in the rev range. I did notice quite a bit of torque steer under very hard acceleration. Perhaps this is to be expected from a fwd car with 185 PS. Brakes have good bite and decent stopping power, though I would have liked a little less tyre squeal! This is probably a result of the RFTs again.

Creature comforts are all top-notch. The car has fantastic, supportive leather seats, decent rear leg-room, top-notch Harman Kardon sound system with USB, Bluetooth telephony with phone book lookup, steering wheel paddles (sadly they're that stupid push-pull type, not the proper +/- type), tilt and telescoping steering, electric folding ORVMs, bi-xenon headlamps, stability control, four wheel disc brakes with ABS, six airbags, a spacious boot (sadly it doesn't come standard with the flat floor, you have to pay extra for that) and obviously things like power windows, central locking, etc.

The ride height easily handles our worst speed breakers and the approach angle is adequate to handle even very steep building driveways without a problem. In effect this cross-over combines the best traits of the hatch Mini Cooper S with the practicality elements that prevent the hatchback from being much more than a toy.

I'll post a proper review with pics once I've had a chance to get some miles on the car!
Old 24th June 2013, 15:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Haven't picked it up yet!

I'm getting the Cooper S variant with the turbocharged 1.6 litre Petrol engine. I test drove the car quite a bit and initlal impressions were mostly good.

The car rides well in my opinion, given that the suspension is heavily biased towards performance rather than outright comfort, and that it rides on 17" RFTs. Steering has a nice, solid feel to it and is surprisingly weighty. The engine is a little beauty and there is plenty of grunt to be had from low-down in the rev range. I did notice quite a bit of torque steer under very hard acceleration. Perhaps this is to be expected from a fwd car with 185 PS. Brakes have good bite and decent stopping power, though I would have liked a little less tyre squeal! This is probably a result of the RFTs again.

Creature comforts are all top-notch. The car has fantastic, supportive leather seats, decent rear leg-room, top-notch Harman Kardon sound system with USB, Bluetooth telephony with phone book lookup, steering wheel paddles (sadly they're that stupid push-pull type, not the proper +/- type), tilt and telescoping steering, electric folding ORVMs, bi-xenon headlamps, stability control, four wheel disc brakes with ABS, six airbags, a spacious boot (sadly it doesn't come standard with the flat floor, you have to pay extra for that) and obviously things like power windows, central locking, etc.

The ride height easily handles our worst speed breakers and the approach angle is adequate to handle even very steep building driveways without a problem. In effect this cross-over combines the best traits of the hatch Mini Cooper S with the practicality elements that prevent the hatchback from being much more than a toy.

I'll post a proper review with pics once I've had a chance to get some miles on the car!
Thats Nice! congrats in advance!

Totally agree with you on all the aspects, esp. the creature comforts point. i believe people who are walking in for the X1 are giving a serious thought on the countryman looking at the features it offers for that price.

any opinion on the diesel countryman? i found it a bit underpowered, even in the sport mode, was wondering if anyone else agreed on the same.
Old 24th June 2013, 15:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats Nice! congrats in advance!

Totally agree with you on all the aspects, esp. the creature comforts point. i believe people who are walking in for the X1 are giving a serious thought on the countryman looking at the features it offers for that price.

any opinion on the diesel countryman? i found it a bit underpowered, even in the sport mode, was wondering if anyone else agreed on the same.
Thanks! Can't comment on the diesel Countryman because I haven't driven it. I was not interested in the diesel at all, to be honest, I was actually looking for a fast hatchback and had ordered a Polo GT that I was planning on heavily modding. Then had an absolutely terrible time with Vidyut Motors in Pune and cancelled my order, despite the car having arrived at the dealership, after waiting 25 days!

By then I'd already started looking at alternatives and the Countryman S is what it's going to be! I don't really want the added size (or cost for a similarly equipped X1, not to mention it's nowhere near as fun to drive) so for my needs (small-ish, fast hatch that is practical for our conditions) the Countryman Cooper S fits the bill quite nicely! The hatchback Cooper S, fun as it is, is just not practical enough to be a daily driver in India or I would have definitely gone with that!

Last edited by kbk_75 : 24th June 2013 at 15:54.