Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th April 2013, 17:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Honda Civic catches Fire on Dwarka Underpass. Owner Dies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
This is interesting. Do we have the escape lever in a FIGO? Not really seen or heard of it. Will check it right away, thanks for this important tip.
The Figo hatch is cable operated ( Not sure) .Its easier to escape in case of hatchbacks . The boot release lever should help
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 17:20   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
3. Pull the escape lever inside the boot to open the boot door from inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
This is interesting. Do we have the escape lever in a FIGO? Not really seen or heard of it. Will check it right away, thanks for this important tip.
I believe more than the escape lever, the split seats in Sedans is needed. The remote bootlid opener can be used in absence of Escape lever.

For Hatchbacks just hit the bootlid opener(if there is one) & jump out.
PapaBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 17:32   #48
Senior - BHPian

A Fire in Honda, we talk about passive safety like Hammers, Fire Extinguishers, Disabled central locking. We talk about incompetency of Fire department. A same incident with Tata would result in just Bashing the manufacturers. Why is there such a discrimination.

The fire might be due to modifications, It can also be due to improper servicing, but that is not what I am talking about. I am just saying the fire incidents in Nano has been greatly exaggerated. There has been issues with fire in Maruti (Dzire, Omni) & Toyota cars as well. Most of these don't reach the limelight. Obviously there aren't supposed to be many such cases with Honda. How many do they sell after all?

As for Honda it is easier said than done to investigate the root cause of fire once the car is burnt up. But I am sure they will do their best.
oxyzen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 17:41   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
A same incident with Tata would result in just Bashing the manufacturers. Why is there such a discrimination.

I am just saying the fire incidents in Nano has been greatly exaggerated. There has been issues with fire in Maruti (Dzire, Omni) & Toyota cars as well. Most of these don't reach the limelight.
A lot of similar posts have come up regarding bashing up Tata, but as a reference, I am just quoting your' s oxygen. There's no doubt that other vehicles have caught fire too like Honda & Maruti too. There is also a thread on a VW Vento catching fire and unfortunately the owner did not survive in that case too.

I am not taking the side of any company like Honda, Maruti or VW, but its the ratio of Nanos on the road to the Nanos catching fire; & IMO, this is the problem. If any car (talking of the models and not the manufacturer) has a similar ratio, then a grave introspection is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
As for Honda it is easier said than done to investigate the root cause of fire once the car is burnt up. But I am sure they will do their best.
Exactly friend. This confidence with Tata is what has been sorely missing. Also, there have been reports of brushing the matters under the carpet on this very forum about a Nano which smoked near the steering column.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 24th April 2013 at 17:47.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 20:12   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
I believe more than the escape lever, the split seats in Sedans is needed. The remote bootlid opener can be used in absence of Escape lever.

For Hatchbacks just hit the bootlid opener(if there is one) & jump out.

If the electronic central locking has failed. Then there is a high probability that the electronic remote boot opener would also have failed.
mango_pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 21:01   #51
BHPian

I posted this message yesterday as a reply to this incident as well as the Vento one as this case was in the vento thread yesterday - it got erased when the threads were seperated hence pasting it here as well -

Originally Posted by hubolt
if the central locking engages can't one manually dis-engage it by turning back the door lock lever like in an indica ? How does the central locking system failure cause the doors to be un-openable even from inside ?
hubolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 22:36   #52
BHPian

In my quest to educate myself a little more:

Are petrol cars more susceptible to fire than diesel cars?

What would happen for a car with CNG or LPG kit? And a further breakup comparison between open loop and sequential kit. I ask this because I think most cars come with automatic fuel supply cutoff in case of accidents that may cause ignition amd hence fire. With sequential kits the ecu of the car shoild ideally stop gas flow akin to stopping petrol flow? Are such gas kit cars more dangerous for e.g if someone bangs from the back? Are there any reported incidents?

What kind of electrical wiring or systems can cause fire? Is it the heavy audio amplifiers with thick guage wires fit on batteries or is it just the 90/100 lights with relays? My question is where to get all this inspected on some periodic interval atleast?

RIP Mr.Mishra
Frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 23:44   #53
BHPian

In the US I used to see a small hammer like thing (pointed edge and made of hard rubber I think), not sure what it was called. These were sold as accessory and expectation is one would carry them in glove box, and purpose is to break wind shield during emergency. I never realized, these would ever be actually be required. We tend to have more faith on car safety, than probably we should. Every time, I tend to speed up well over 100 kmph, for example, I keep thinking how I can stop the vehicle, if the brakes fail!

Any idea, if these hammer kind of tool sold in India too?

Reading threads such as this one by many helps improve awareness on safety steps. I saw some suggestions being shared. Good thinking!
mkovuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 00:02   #54
BHPian

In any case if the fire fighting system was essentially water based as is apparent from the news article, they would not have been of much use in what was essentially an oil based liquid fire, potentially triggered by electrical short circuit. For such fires either Dry Chemical Powder (DCP) or a CO2 based fire extinguishing system were required.

~what was really appalling and disgusting was the pass the blame game by the authorities. Guess we really need a US like system where those responsible can also be sued for punitive damages. For the kind of corrupt society we have only the threat of monetary damage works,not shame or even fear of jail.
bobbafett is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 00:13   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post

If the electronic central locking has failed. Then there is a high probability that the electronic remote boot opener would also have failed.
AFAIK, the remote boot opener is completely mechanical and no electronics is involved. At least in my Alto it is so. It works without the key in the ignition. Also, somewhere on the forum there is a thread about installing this remote boot opener in lower variants of the Alto, and it is completely mechanical there as well. Hence my claim. It should be very similar in other cars IMHO.

Here is a query I had posted on a thread when there was a discussion on a Swift catching fire. Posting it here again for some opinions:
When we wax a car (exterior polish), what role does it play in such a situation? Since wax is characteristically a flammable substance, having a layer of wax (however thin) can be increasing the spread of fire much quicker. This is only a primary theory and I have no data/evidence to support the same. Would be interesting to know the opinions of other members in this regard.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 01:09   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovuri View Post
Any idea, if these hammer kind of tool sold in India too?
You are talking about the below product I guess. Available for about $15. Ebay.in Global sells this one for INR 2200.
http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewIt...lt-Cutter-Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
AFAIK, the remote boot opener is completely mechanical and no electronics is involved. At least in my Alto it is so. It works without the key in the ignition.
May be you are right about Alto but only way to verify its fully mechanical is to disconnect the battery and test. Car Electricals can still draw current even if the Ignition key is not in. E.g. the Car Alarm or the Lights left on

New i20 has a button on outside to open the hatch when unlocked, not sure if its electric driven or mechanical. Also there is no button to open it from inside. Will check if there is any option on the inside of the hatch door.
vidyanand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 06:53   #57
Senior - BHPian

Following my Dad's example I keep a FireStop fire extinguisher in my vehicle at all times.

Add to that a solid steel rod, which I can if required, use to smash the windows open. The big hassle is all these new generation cars are built strongly and hence, it would be difficult to break things open and jump out. Also, this teaches me that I must learn how to do an emergency unlock in case it is required.

Frightening situation- I have no desire to be fried alive in the vehicle, on account of not being smart enough to take time to learn essential scientific exit steps and procedures.

Can anyone enlighten me about emergency self evacuation procedures from a Skoda car?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 09:20   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
AFAIK, the remote boot opener is completely mechanical and no electronics is involved. At least in my Alto it is so. It works without the key in the ignition. Also, somewhere on the forum there is a thread about installing this remote boot opener in lower variants of the Alto, and it is completely mechanical there as well. Hence my claim. It should be very similar in other cars IMHO.

+1. As far as I know the bootlid is either mechanically or Hydraulically operated. So in those cases this must not pose a problem.

Also, I think some high end cars must be having an electronic system. In those cases, a mechanical override would be helpful.
PapaBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 09:41   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
You are talking about the below product I guess. Available for about $15. Ebay.in Global sells this one for INR 2200.
http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewIt...lt-Cutter-Tool

May be you are right about Alto but only way to verify its fully mechanical is to disconnect the battery and test. Car Electricals can still draw current even if the Ignition key is not in. E.g. the Car Alarm or the Lights left on

New i20 has a button on outside to open the hatch when unlocked, not sure if its electric driven or mechanical. Also there is no button to open it from inside. Will check if there is any option on the inside of the hatch door.
Both my cars have electrical boot openers.
However, in case of power failure, I can open any of the four doors from inside by just turning the lock - in both the cars - even if the central lock has been activated.
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 10:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

Another safety measure that I can think of is a detachable handbrake lever. At the push of a button (placed below the lever) the entire rod can be detached and that rod can be used to break the glass and get out of the car in such emergencies.

In an accident what also matters is your presence of mind. You might be impaired, foggy and/or unable to move depending on the impact of the accident and therefore you may or may not be able to perform the required escape procedures. While using the headrest or climbing on to the backseat and escaping through the boot sounds like a good plan, that plan should strike you immediately following an accident.

The detachable handbrake solution may work when the others don't because with very minimal movement the driver will be able to reach the handbrake, push the release button, remove the rod and strike it against the glass to break it. And the best part is that all this can be done by using only one hand.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote