Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th June 2013, 19:43   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Civic catches Fire on Dwarka Underpass. Owner Dies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I immediately slowed down. Later when I complained this to MASS, they checked the air pressure & it was more than 40-45 psi while I normally keep it to 30! Since then, I carry my own trusted gauge.
Off topic - Happened in my car too. Pressure was around 40PSI. I used the vehicle for 1 month with that. Recommending to add this in PDI checklist.
devil_klm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 23:19   #92
Senior - BHPian

PSI goes up, if you drive the car in extreme heat. Happened in my brio couple of months ago. Was driving from Mum - Pune. While leaving the PSI was 26, and when i came back it was 35.

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 10:49   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Off topic - Happened in my car too. Pressure was around 40PSI. I used the vehicle for 1 month with that. Recommending to add this in PDI checklist.
Yes, as it can be critical, it must be double checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
PSI goes up, if you drive the car in extreme heat. Happened in my brio couple of months ago. Was driving from Mum - Pune. While leaving the PSI was 26, and when i came back it was 35.

cheers,
ac
Hello,

Though, I broadly agree with what you say, but I doubt that the increase in air pressure will be anything more than 4-5 PSI in current generation radials. The expansion was much more, at least double the above stated figure in the older cross ply tyres. Hence, a tyre that has been inflated at 30 PSI when cold & start of the journey will see a maximum PSI build up to about 35 PSI.

Anything more than that is over-inflation IMO.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 10:56   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Was driving from Mum - Pune. While leaving the PSI was 26, and when i came back it was 35.
The air pressure raises if the tyres have low air pressure and in your case the tyre pressure was 26 which is on lower side. If you had around 30 psi then it might not have increased that much.

Always remember that the low air pressure causes tyre bursts because the air increases in the tyres due to the heat. Whereas if the tyres have appropriate 'cold' air in the tyre from the beginning then there won't be much space left for the hot air to accumulate inside the tyres during long drives.
tbppjpr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 19:00   #95
BHPian

While we are contemplating on the central lock to be disabled in case of power failure, like the office door door example mentioned earlier, wont it defeat the purpose of safety against forced entries?
sarathlal is offline   Reply With Quote