Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd May 2013, 16:58   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Dzire delivers 45+ kmpl! Fact or Fiction?

45+ may be possible.

I got a tankfull to tankfull figure of 27 on my Brio.

Distance : 100 kms.
Route Hyd>Medchal>beyond
Occupants - solo
Night drive - cooler air.
Windows up.

Gear skipping (1>3>5)

Top speed 55 KPH.

If a petrol engine can do such figure, i think a modren turbo diesel would be able do even better.
adityasiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 17:22   #32
BHPian

Last February, my mom, wifey and me were on a trip to Kolhapur from Mumbai and back. approximate distance 400 Kms single way. Total 800 Kms

My Alto returned figures of 26.2 Km/L on my way to Kolhapur, and on the return journey it was 28.1 Km/L. I drove via the express way, so clean smooth roads and speed ranging 75 - 90 Km/h. and intermittent use of AC.

I have the 2008 Alto Lxi model with ARAI claimed mileage of 16.93 Km/L.
The return to Mumbai is more down slope and hence may have received higher mileage. But frankly, I was happy more than surprised with the Maruti's Mileage.
Agnijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 18:00   #33
BHPian

If the mileage figures stated are true, its really amazing. The MID of my swift ZDi (2013) with ODO reading 2000kms shows a constant 16.5-17.5kmpl(with full time ac) when driven through B2B traffic. I expect it to go up after the 5000km/ 6 month service.
After hearing about the 45kmpl mileage the Dzire has attained, I seriously doubt if something is wrong with my driving.
VishnuNarayanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 19:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
After hearing about the 45kmpl mileage the Dzire has attained, I seriously doubt if something is wrong with my driving.
Learn to control the accelerator pedal with a feather light foot. Try to know where is sweet spot when there is minimum engine load:

1. You are not lugging at lower speed and lower RPM

and

2. The accelerator pedal is pressed only how much is required, not more and not less. Maintaining the constant speed is the key.

Though there are many other factors but if you have patience, then you can learn and master the technique of achieving great FE without driving 'slow' with the experience.

Most people do the mistake of driving the car at low speed/low RPM in higher gear (usually top gear) but they don't realize that they are actually stressing the engine. Result - not so good FE.

So using right matters most. In the flowing city driving conditions, 4th gear is more suitable compared to 5th. But it also doesn't mean that we drive at higher RPM in 3rd.

Also try to Google 'Coasting Technique to save fuel' and 'Deceleration Fuel Cutoff'

Last edited by tbppjpr : 2nd May 2013 at 19:22.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 20:06   #35
BHPian

If they go by the MID results, then I believe it is possible. The reason why I am sure because, My XYLO's MID showed the FE as 25.5 kmpl when driving from THOPPUR to SALEM.

Name:  255kmpl.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  37.0 KB

The actual FE of Xylo is a mixed bag. Keep a light foot on XYLO's accelerator pedal and cruise @2000 RPM to get a constant mileage of 16KMPL on the highways.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 21:50   #36
BHPian

Default Verna CRDi Owners speak up!

I consistently get 22-24 kmpl on my kerala trips. The MID always shows 2 kmpl more than actuals.

The highest I've ever got is 30 kmpl on a very tired night drive where I kept the max speed at 80.

The worst highway mileage I've ever seen is 16 kmpl. This was on an emergency trip where the average speeds were much higher that I'd care to mention.

The only routine I follow before every long trip is to get the car thoroughly washed so that there is no resistance/binding anywhere and to get the tyres inflated to 32 psi all around after the wash when they're cold.

I do this once I reach my destination as well.

If anybody's interested, I do have pics of the MID.

Have fun!

Tassem.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 07:51   #37
BHPian

Advertisement that appeared in one malayalam newspaper. Maruti claims only 31.4KMPL for Dzire. Attaching here the ad(pardon me for the crappy picture quality)
Name:  20130503_074049.jpg
Views: 2373
Size:  41.3 KB
VishnuNarayanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

I once managed 14.7km/l on my Kizashi with cruise control set to 120kmph, braking/overtaking and then reset. on a 100km stretch on the b'lore hyderabad highway. AC on, two occupants. Now I don't feel that great about it anymore -__-
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:37   #39
BHPian

Chevy carried out a mileage rally in chennai. I participated in that and by not using AC, driving my beat at 40-45 KMPH, the mileage attained was 23.47 KMPL. We were 3 adults in my car. We were suggested to drive between 40-50 KMPH and not more than 2000 rpm by chevy guys. The route was from Cathedral road, Marina beach, adyar, Madhya kailash, OMR, Kelambakkam, Kovalam, VGP resort. The first two who got prizes were 38.1 and 38 KMPL.
The top mileage achieved in beat petrol was 18.64 and 18.2 kmpl. With respect to spark I vaguely remember that the top two figures were 24 and 23 approx.
Balaji31582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:41   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Advertisement that appeared in one malayalam newspaper. Maruti claims only 31.4KMPL for Dzire. Attaching here the ad(pardon me for the crappy picture quality)
The same ad has appeared here in a local newspaper too, today.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 22:49   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1080120
Today's Times of India (Bangalore) also has this. For a diesel variant, they must be shifting gears around 1000 RPM and should be driving around in approximately 1200-1300 RPM range.
crazyfordriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 12:56   #42
BHPian

Quote:
If the mileage figures stated are true, its really amazing. The MID of my swift ZDi (2013) with ODO reading 2000kms shows a constant 16.5-17.5kmpl(with full time ac) when driven through B2B traffic. I expect it to go up after the 5000km/ 6 month service.
There's nothing wrong with your driving Vishnu, as long as this is day time with traffic, etc.

Here's some gyaan for you guys. I too get between 16 and 17 kmpl in my Swift Zdi in Bombay traffic. However, there are stretches where the MID reads 2.7 L/100 km @ approx 70kmh such as on JJ flyover which is 3+ km long and easy to maintain speed on.

The fact is, a car that is maintaining speed is at its optimum level of efficiency, especially if this speed is between 50 and 80 km/h (50-70 for petrol and 60-80 for diesel because of gearing). The RPM would be around 1500-2000 which is a great place to be for efficiency. Another major boost is to slow down while still in gear by simply lifting off the accelerator. During such moments my MID drops down to 0.0 L/100km. I gear down a lot as well.

Further, on a night drive from Bandra to Colaba, I recently managed an indicated 25 km/l even while driving quite fast. This again shows that constant speed is the key. Do remember that Top Gear managed 20 km/l from a 3.0L Twin Turbo Jaguar (1700 kg +) across 1400 km while driving between 80 and 120 km/h. It's HOW you drive that matters more than WHAT you drive.
carmayogi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 13:23   #43
BHPian

Straight from the horse's mouth, I participated in this rally held in Ahmedabad with my 2012 2nd gen Dzire VDi. No mods, no K&N air filter, only thing that is not OEM in my car is the nitrogen in my tires. Fuel was topped up at the beginning of the drive & tank lid sealed. There were three medium built adults on board. A/C and ICE was turned off for obvious reasons, and consciously I kept a very light foot on the accelerator. The real time mileage indicator in the MID was a great guide (it never goes beyond 30kmpl though). I kept upshifting to 5th gear at earliest possible interval, just on the borderline of lugging the car and ensured that the RPMS never crossed 1800 in any gear. I had earlier noticed that there are certain specific speeds in 5th gear near about 60kmph & 80kmph, where the MID shows maximum mileage. I put all my right foot skills to full use to ensure that I stick to those points. Keeping to the left & middle lane, I tried to anticipate braking situations in advance and eased out on the throttle well ahead of time, so that I managed to cross a few intersection without even braking. Sunday morning traffic was a little sparse, but the route had an equal measure of highway & city roads. It helped that if you are in Gujarat, you never have to slow down to avoid potholes, because there are NONE. Even though the A/C was off, all windows were nearly fully wound up (leaving a small 1 inch gap at the top to ensure our survival in sub 40 degree Celsius ambient temperatures) to confirm that aerodynamic efficiency wasn't compromised. I curbed all my egos & need for speed bred instincts, and patiently allowed all shorts of vehicular traffic, ace-ape-maximo types included, to overtake if they were coming at a velocity greater than mine. At the finish line a.k.a. fuel pump, the officials checked the seal on the lid of my tank and my able steed was topped up again. Hold your breath - End result - 56.7 km covered in 1.86 litres of normal Diesel... a whooping 30.48 kmpl !! I was completely blown, but it also left me with a feeling that I could have extracted 5-7 kmpl more because I had messed up the above mentioned routine quite a few times when I got distracted while driving.

Needless to say, I will never drive like that in the real world. The main indicator of this fact was that I never had to blow my horn even once throughout the 60km route I travelled. I am always late going to office, always need to hurry home, I am addicted to my AC & ICE and nearly always drive on the right most lane of the road. On an average, I generally get 19-20 kmpl types (100% AC), with a mixture of city traffic, traffic jams, red light GPs, 160+kmph stints on highways, sometimes leaving the car idling for 5-10 mins on odd shopping trips so that my family enjoys the comfort of AC while waiting for me in the car. But still it was also a very delightful exhibition of the strengths of the technology in my car. The last vehicle I remember with this kind of mileage was my father's old Bajaj Chetak 150cc 2- stroke scooter.
gitartha is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 13:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramv View Post
Your spreadsheet looks interesting. If it is not a problem, is it possible for you to share it?
Here you go. When I did not fill full tank I calculated mileage the next time I filled full. I changed my tyres in Dec 11 to 185/65/15 and they were of a larger circumference than the 185/70/14 I was running earlier so I factored in this correction in.
Dzire VDI.xlsx
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 17:01   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

We have to remember that in diesels there is sufficient torque at idling or near idling speeds. Secondly at speeds above 80kmph the wind resistance start playing a significant part in reducing economy.
So if a diesel is driven at idling or low rpms in high gear (say 1500-1800rpm), no AC and speeds about 50kmph-60kmph, and windows closed we should see most of the cars returning fantastic economy.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote