Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 11:48   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,748
Thanked: 89,394 Times
Default Re: Audi overtakes BMW to clinch No.1 position, Mercedes now No.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
These are just Q1 results.
Still newsworthy! There's no quarter in the last 4 years that Audi has been the No.1 & BMW last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
where did we get the number 1465 from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingeljell View Post
So what is the source of the BMW sales for JFM?
Not too different from our sales reports (March 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis)
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 12:10   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 43
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Audi overtakes BMW to clinch No.1 position, Mercedes now No.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I generally use Team BHP as my reference for numbers and sales figures. But then I also saw that mail from the Deputy Director General of SIAM saying that BMW hasn't shared the figures. So was just confused about whether it's accurate or not.

In either case, it's still pretty badass for Merc to be overtaking BMW, however I suspect a lot has to do with the offers that Audi and Merc have had on their cars. I'm not sure if BMW has such offers on the 3 series.
Bingeljell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 13:02   #18
BHPian
 
mohandasnikhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 273
Thanked: 238 Times
Default Re: Audi overtakes BMW to clinch No.1 position, Mercedes now No.2

Well the sales figures reported are as we know the Company to Dealer sales and not retail sales.
BMW had built up a sizeable inventory in 2011/ 2012 of its popular models like to X1 and 5 series and shipped them to dealers through 2011/2012 which was already reported in those quarters as their sales figures. The retail off take of these cars though were much lesser and thus Dealers had huge inventory pile ups at their level, of stock from 2011/2012.
Dealers from end of 2012 to April 2013 were selling 2011 and early 2012 model cars, that had already been shipped to them.
For example BMW stopped production and shipment of the X1 somewhere around June/ July 2012. Dealers were basically selling the old stock from 2011 and early 2012 till the launch of the facelifted X1 in Feb/ Mar 2013. Thus there were hardly any new shipments/ sales of these models from the company to the dealer in the start of 2013.

While I was buying my X1 in Feb 2013, I had a chance to glance through inventory list of the dealer and they had more than a dozen early 2012 X1s in stock as well as half a dozen 2011 model X1s. Also they had a sizeable number of 2012 5series.
While casually talking to the Dealer he mentioned they were having a good month in Feb (retail sales), cos of the huge discounting support that BMW was providing them.
mohandasnikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 21:39   #19
BHPian
 
nik_kapur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 992
Thanked: 471 Times
Default Re: Audi overtakes BMW to clinch No.1 position, Mercedes now No.2

How is Mercedes No.2 ? Their E Class is being replaced with a face-lifted one, the C Class is clearly not the best seller in its class, The S Class is soon to be replaced. What cars did they sell ? The new ML Class??
nik_kapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 00:42   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Audi overtakes BMW to clinch No.1 position, Mercedes now No.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
How is Mercedes No.2 ? Their E Class is being replaced with a face-lifted one, the C Class is clearly not the best seller in its class, The S Class is soon to be replaced. What cars did they sell ? The new ML Class??
The ML class has been selling pretty well, especially the 250. Also the C220 and E220 and 200 have also been selling quite a bit, especially the stripped down versions with big discounts. Merc is going to give Audi a tough fight with the A class launch, and the new E and GL and S this year.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 07:26   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 128
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: Audi overtakes BMW to clinch No.1 position, Mercedes now No.2

Well, I personally think that BMW lost the plot with their pricing. Most of 2012 was a deep discount for their X1, 3 and 5. They completely messed up with the pricing for the new 3. As recently as 3 months back, there was news of the 5 going at 6-8 lac discounts. This surely means something is off. Also, the new 'world's best' 3 series ever is already at a 10-15% discount off its list price. Why not price it to kill competition. Long term is what these guys need to think!
elantracrdi05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:52   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Audi overtakes BMW to clinch No.1 position, Mercedes now No.2

Mercedes is doing really well with the Finance packages they have on offer. Their Flexinomics, Star Agility and Leasing options are being offered to potential customers with an option of tweaking it or mixmatch one with the other, however required, to suit your pocket. All this plus the fabulous discounts on the C class and the already exceptionally well selling E class and the M class, it comes as no surprise that Mercedes has moved up to No 2!
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:17   #23
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 360
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
Well the sales figures reported are as we know the Company to Dealer sales and not retail sales.
BMW had built up a sizeable inventory in 2011/ 2012 of its popular models like to X1 and 5 series and shipped them to dealers through 2011/2012 which was already reported in those quarters as their sales figures. The retail off take of these cars though were much lesser and thus Dealers had huge inventory pile ups at their level, of stock from 2011/2012.
Dealers from end of 2012 to April 2013 were selling 2011 and early 2012 model cars, that had already been shipped to them.
For example BMW stopped production and shipment of the X1 somewhere around June/ July 2012. Dealers were basically selling the old stock from 2011 and early 2012 till the launch of the facelifted X1 in Feb/ Mar 2013. Thus there were hardly any new shipments/ sales of these models from the company to the dealer in the start of 2013.

While I was buying my X1 in Feb 2013, I had a chance to glance through inventory list of the dealer and they had more than a dozen early 2012 X1s in stock as well as half a dozen 2011 model X1s. Also they had a sizeable number of 2012 5series.
While casually talking to the Dealer he mentioned they were having a good month in Feb (retail sales), cos of the huge discounting support that BMW was providing them.
Couldn't agree more.

Recently the GM SALES of the my local BMW dealership informed me that while they were offering a "regular" Rs. 2-3 lacs discount on the 2012 F10 5 series, dealerships in Delhi were offering 5-7 lacs. He also informed me that the company gives dealers better deals if they pick up cars in bulk. And this has resulted in both dealers in NCR ending up with massive stockpiles of the F10, some dating back as early as may 2012 (keep in mind 520d is a fast seller).

I assume the same is going to happen with Audi and Merc in the next quarter since they must have built up massive stock piles with dealers to close the year on a high.

I highly doubt mercedes will stay at no. 2 on an annual basis. They have no new models entering india before Dec. those too, we can safely assume will be priced much higher than their outgoing counterparts. Plus Merc's high maintainence remains a deterrent.


Quote:
Originally Posted by elantracrdi05 View Post
Well, I personally think that BMW lost the plot with their pricing. Most of 2012 was a deep discount for their X1, 3 and 5. Why not price it to kill competition. Long term is what these guys need to think!

Also agree that BMW has gone wrong with the pricing of the 3. I bought a 320d recently. The only reason i didnt buy the 520d was because of the driving experience of the 3 is simply unbeatable! otherwise i wouldve hands down gone for the 5. While the 320d comes loaded with everything that the 520d has, segment differentiation is so important!

But I think they are thinking long term ! . Considering the new C Class coming in next year, it'll be priced much higher than the outgoing C and very similar to the new 3. Pricing aggressively now and then later revising prices would be more difficult. Bare in mind BMW has to maintain these prices (with just the occasional 2-3% hike) for 5 years at least.

Also the face lifted 5 series is coming in soon! Assuming that'll be a little highly priced than its predecessor too, it'll only increase the gap between the 3 and the 5. Don't you think?
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:47   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,752
Thanked: 9,189 Times
Default Re: Audi overtakes BMW to clinch No.1 position, Mercedes now No.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
I highly doubt mercedes will stay at no. 2 on an annual basis. They have no new models entering india before Dec. those too, we can safely assume will be priced much higher than their outgoing counterparts.
Name:  AGermansurpriseMercedesBenzAClassIndianlaunchonMay30.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  30.7 KB

^ Mercedes A-Class is slated for launch this month (May 30th)

But to counter that the BMW 1 series is already planned for a September launch

Last edited by karan561 : 2nd May 2013 at 11:54.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:06   #25
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Audi overtakes BMW to clinch No.1 position, Mercedes now No.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
They have no new models entering india before Dec. those too, we can safely assume will be priced much higher than their outgoing counterparts. Plus Merc's high maintainence remains a deterrent.
The A class launches this month. The GL will follow soon at around 80l ex showroom. The E class facelift should be here by the third quarter and the S will be here by December or Jan. Merc also now has similar service packages to BMW. As much of a BMW fan as I am, they don't seem to be getting things right.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:23   #26
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 360
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

The A class launches this month. The GL will follow soon at around 80l ex showroom. The E class facelift should be here by the third quarter and the S will be here by December or Jan. Merc also now has similar service packages to BMW. As much of a BMW fan as I am, they don't seem to be getting things right.
I'm not so sure about the A class after Merc's B class disaster. They really need a diesel engine in the A class to get things moving.

The rest of them as I said (and you said)are coming by end of year.

Anyway. Very interesting turn of events. Competition among sellers only benefits buyers . So it's a win win for us.
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:29   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Audi overtakes BMW to clinch No.1 position, Mercedes now No.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
I'm not so sure about the A class after Merc's B class disaster. They really need a diesel engine in the A class to get things moving.

The rest of them as I said (and you said)are coming by end of year.
The B class was launched with only a petrol engine, and doesn't look as good as the A. The A is also coming with a diesel, which will be offered on the B soon enough.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:37   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 3,889 Times
Default Re: Audi overtakes BMW to clinch No.1 position, Mercedes now No.2

I don’t think there is much to read in this change of positions between BMW, Audi and Merc. I see this as a rotating cycle. Last year, BMW had a couple of models (e.g.; E90 3, X1) which were available on good discounts (in case of X1, competitive pricing). This year they are on a new/updated range of cars and hence no price advantage as such. This year Audi and Merc are in the same scene as of BMW last year – aged models probably going on good discounts (A4, Q5, C-class etc.).

That said, I believe Merc has gained quite a bit with the ML250, and they could continue the momentum with the upcoming A-Class and diesel B. And Beemer will have the 1-series to counter the competition
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:27   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 182
Thanked: 632 Times
Default Audi celebrates climb to the top, with Rs 3 Lakh discount

The celebrations have begun at Audi India over becoming No. 1 in the luxury car market (planned for 2015). Audi has now launched a special offer for its customers that sees a cool Rs 3 Lakh reduced from the price of a new Audi.
  • The offer is open only to existing Audi customers
  • Valid only on the purchase of new cars
  • Customers could also trade-in their existing Audi for a new one and avail of the offer
Audi overtakes BMW to clinch No.1 position, Mercedes now No.2-audi-_no1.jpg

Audi sold 770 units last month, an increase of 37 percent, compared to the 562 units it sold in April 2012. Sales between January to April increased by 19.6 % to 3,386 units (compared to 2,831 units in the same time last year).In 2012-13, Audi India clocked in total sales of 9,350 units (6,169 units, the previous fiscal). The figures were released by Audi yesterday.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd May 2013 at 15:46.
Redline6800 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 19:35   #30
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 360
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Audi has now launched a special offer for its customers that sees a cool Rs 3 Lakh reduced from the price of a new Audi.[*]The offer is open only to existing Audi customers[*]Valid only on the purchase of new cars[*]Customers could also trade-in their existing Audi for a new one and avail of the offer
Unless you're saying audi is offering this 3 lacs to existing customers, over and above the 2-3 lacs discount it was offering already to everyone, i think this is not news. Audi was already offering these discounts before.
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mercedes, Audi closing gap to BMW. BMW still no.1 though Tushar The International Automotive Scene 3 17th October 2017 16:02
BMW India slips to No. 3 position. Behind Audi & Mercedes in 2013 mayanksabharwal The Indian Car Scene 102 30th January 2014 11:42
BMW India maintains its lead over Mercedes: EDIT- Now Audi overtakes as well GTO The Indian Car Scene 142 27th August 2013 12:05
Mercedes & BMW India record sales growth EDIT : And now Audi too! hanmust The Indian Car Scene 45 3rd May 2012 16:43
Rossi returns at Brno to clinch pole. turbo_v12 Int'l Motorsport 6 20th August 2006 19:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks