Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd May 2006, 17:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Please Give me a car you feel is the best money can buy within 20 lacs

Expected REPLY
  • Some of the reply's are not clear . Be specific on a(one) car and please mention why you feel so and in the end rate your car based on 5 parameters mentioned ,
  • You can choose a car any car for that matter , all you need is to justify your choice.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 17:10   #17
BHPian

I'd be well confused between the Octavia RS and the Accord. I've only driven the Accord outta the two, but if it was going to be a personal use car, I'd probably be parial towards the RS....that car has some serious attitude..

The Accord makes a perfect Family car/Late night or Sunday afternoon fun drive!

My ratings:
Performance - Accord: 8/10, RS:havent driven it so cant say
Handling - Accord : 7/10, RS: 8/10 (based on the TDi)
Looks - Accord :7/10 (I'm not a big fan of the rear),RS:8.5/10 (reserving 9/10 for the Laura RS)
Practicality- Accord: 6/10(kinda big for a congested city if youre an owner driver), RS:8/10
VFM: Accord: 8/10, RS: 9/10...

edit: Maxbhp, i was probably typing this when you posted your last message, thats why the two cars!!

Last edited by swale84 : 23rd May 2006 at 17:11.
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 19:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Btw, I got a better option.

Buy a lancer( preferably used0. Plonk the evo engine kit and watever mods you want. You will still be left with enough money to buy a R1 or a ninja.

It will be an evo anyways at a lot lesser price and it will still smoke skoda RS.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 19:44   #19
BHPian

SKODA RS:
performance - 9/10
handling - 9/10
looks - 7/10
practicality - 8/10
VFM - 7/10

i'd like to add another name on the list - CHEVROLET FORESTER - genuine subaru WRC derivative, supposedly the best drivers car in the segment. only looks are a bit of a let down
SamRao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 20:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRao
i'd like to add another name on the list - CHEVROLET FORESTER - genuine subaru WRC derivative, supposedly the best drivers car in the segment. only looks are a bit of a let down
Sam - Agreed it's a good driver's car but with only 125bhp it's not really a performance car, plus spares are a little hard to come by & expensive due to low demand.

Maxbhp - Here's my rating

RS

performance - 7/10 (stock) 9/10 (tuned)
handling - 8/10
looks - 7/10
practicality - 8/10
VFM - 7/10

Keep in mind max that the RS is very fast only when its tuned in stock form it's merely fast. Also have to mention that the RS is a little on the heavier side while driving compared to the Accord and if you drive long distances it can become tiring. By heavy I mean that the controls Steering, Gearshift etc are on the heftier side and need more effort to operate than the controls in the Accord.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 22:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, quite the googly; okay, here goes.

1) Performance; Used EVO VII; OR the Honda Accord 3.0 V6 manual, whenever it'll be launched.
2) Handling; Now that BMW is planning to launch the Mini for 16L, I'd take the Cooper S.
3) Looks; This's very difficult. I love the looks of an SUV, so the Pajero 2.8 or Endeavour it is for me. Else, It would have to be the Mini again.
4) Practicality; By now, you must have been bowled over by my tastes. So here's the next doozie; I feel the vRS or the L&K would be the most practical option; best compromise of performance, handling and F.E.
5) VFM; This is going to sound outrageous; The Laura it is; It offers the most amount of equipment and technology for that kind of money.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 22:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

- Skoda Oktavia RS for a brand new car
- Used will be a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 23:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia take it Turbo it and there you are a car which would leave the RS in dust. It will cost not more then 15Lacs, including Recaro Seats, Turbo, Wheels, Body Kit and Front Mitsubishi Evo Lights, so at 15Lacs you get a first hand car which looks like a EVO ( The EVO 8 Looks similar from behind as the CEDIA) and which will smoke a RS with ease stock or remapped. The Cedia will have the Power To Weight, The Handling and The Service cost advantage and most of all i will be different then all the common RS cars which are getting boring by the hour. LOL.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 00:35   #24
BHPian

The RS and the Mondeo. Who can resist the 1.8L from the VW Golf? And that too turbocharged.
The Mondeo is one of the most comfortable cars in India accoding to me.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 06:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia take it Turbo it and there you are a car which would leave the RS in dust. It will cost not more then 15Lacs, including Recaro Seats, Turbo, Wheels, Body Kit and Front Mitsubishi Evo Lights, so at 15Lacs you get a first hand car which looks like a EVO ( The EVO 8 Looks similar from behind as the CEDIA) and which will smoke a RS with ease stock or remapped. The Cedia will have the Power To Weight, The Handling and The Service cost advantage and most of all i will be different then all the common RS cars which are getting boring by the hour. LOL.
but y not get the normal lancer 1.5 and install the evo kit? Not even a modded, rechipped, remapped skoda RS can beat this one. and that too at the same price.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 08:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRao
SKODA RS:
performance - 9/10
handling - 9/10
looks - 7/10
practicality - 8/10
VFM - 7/10

Not the best , coz I feel Mondeo is the best among the current lot when it comes to handling and steering response
Old 24th May 2006, 08:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri
The Mondeo is one of the most comfortable cars in India accoding to me.
Mondeo is indeed a very good car when it comes to driving experience but back seat comfort is average specially at low speeds where you can feel every undulations on the road. When it comes to comfort I dont think any one can beat an accord or Laura or for that matter old camry is the best
Old 24th May 2006, 08:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
- Skoda Oktavia RS for a brand new car
- Used will be a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO
Great Choice but if you dont mind rate your cars ...
Old 24th May 2006, 09:01   #29
mxx
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Skoda Oktavia RS for sure.
not counting merc and bmw because they are not sub 20 lac as far as i know(correct me if i am wrong).
mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2006, 09:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp
What do you think is the best driver car below 20 lacs but above 15 ? It Neednt be a new one but at the same time should not be older than 4 yrs .The car should handle well . Should be capable of genuine 160kmph + . It should have good steering response. Ride shouldnt be too hard . It should look Good....Or just rate the cars below out of 10 based on five parameters. Or you can give a car of your preference but has to be a sedan and preferably a car thats well known by the indian folks.

a) perfomance
b) handling
c) looks
d) Practicality
e) Value for money.

1. Ford Mondeo
2. Skoda Oktavia RS
3. Honda Accord
4.used Mercedes C200K
5.used BMW 330 i
6.used Lancer EVO VII
Please read clearly and pleasy justify your choice