Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th May 2013, 08:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda India to discontinue Fabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
It appears our little discussion here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post3119575 (2013 Skoda Rapid S variant unveiled)
a few days ago turned out to be more prophetic than expected.
Possibly we may expect Fabia III launch sometime next year?
Take a good read of the opening post here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Unlike the recent news on Jazz discontinuation, Skoda doesn't plan to bring in the next-gen Fabia anytime soon, at least for the next 2 years. Hopefully that Gujarat dealer will get the next Fabia by 2018 to satisfy some of its then-older customers!
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 08:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Sad end to one more beauty, one more car I would say which is a culprit of bad mouthing and bad dealership more than anything else. The diesel was definitely a highway beast I would re-iterate compared to the petrol version.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 09:05   #33
BHPian

Not a surprise move considering sales volumes were plummeting anyway.
Hopefully this will speed up the introduction of the new Octavia!!
pradyblr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 11:54   #34
BHPian

Does this include the Fabia Scout? I thought the Scout was very expensive at ~10L. Cant believe that was selling at a loss.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 12:06   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Isn't the Rapid based on the Fabia? Are they discontinuing the Rapid too?
The Rapid is based on the Vento which is inturn based on the Mark V Polo. It is just that the Rapid is made to look similar to the Fabia.

And the Fabia is based on the Mark IV Polo and is one generation behind. So, by taking the Fabia off, VAG can concentrate on just one platform for the other 3 models.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 12:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

The average Indian hatchback car buyer has really not evolved beyond Maruti, Hyundai and perhaps to some extent they are dipping their toes in the water, with Toyota and Honda. The mind set continues to be the 'kitna deti hai' mentality and safety and engineering are not priorities. Size, bling and gizmos are of greater importance.

The evolved consumer simply has nothing to excite him/ her despite the European hatches being far better engineered, much more solid, made of better quality, more premium materials and significantly safer than those Jap and Korean cars.

The problem is that these European cars are neither here nor there. They tried very hard to fit themselves into a 'cost' budget but it was like thramming a square peg into a round hole. The taxes and the system in India cause the dice to be loaded too heavily against them. The Euro hatches are great quality vehicles but the engines leave a lot to be desired from an enthusiast's point of view.

Poor marketing and poor positioning and poor efforts to sell, have resulted in this situation.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 12:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The average Indian hatchback car buyer has really not evolved beyond Maruti, Hyundai and perhaps to some extent they are dipping their toes in the water, with Toyota and Honda. The mind set continues to be the 'kitna deti hai' mentality and safety and engineering are not priorities. Size, bling and gizmos are of greater importance.

The evolved consumer simply has nothing to excite him/ her despite the European hatches being far better engineered, much more solid, made of better quality, more premium materials and significantly safer than those Jap and Korean cars.

The problem is that these European cars are neither here nor there. They tried very hard to fit themselves into a 'cost' budget but it was like thramming a square peg into a round hole. The taxes and the system in India cause the dice to be loaded too heavily against them. The Euro hatches are great quality vehicles but the engines leave a lot to be desired from an enthusiast's point of view.

Poor marketing and poor positioning and poor efforts to sell, have resulted in this situation.
I believe our country's average customer HAS matured fairly enough based on the number of VW Polos I see :P It is solely down to the high pricing and lack of good motors. Also in Skoda's case, their A.S.S. puts people off and the cost of maintenance is also unattractive for someone looking at a car in that segment, no?
Oddly, I find more Fabias on the road than the Jazz or even the Punto (I know they were never brilliant sellers but still). Atleast in my city, so people do seem to appreciate good build and comfort levels then

Last edited by IshaanIan : 18th May 2013 at 12:53.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 13:02   #38
BHPian

Quote:

The average Indian has evolved and do appreciate better build quality and service even if they come for premium. Of course value for money proposition is most important. I think the euro manufacturer are to blame themselves for the fact that do not respect Indian consumer a lot. Their mentality is whatever they are giving at a price point that's a favor to Indian consumer.
After sales of most of euro cars are bad in india. This includes Skoda, vw, BMW (I know raft tyres are not suitable for india, buy still they will sell it and if you change the tyres the warranty on suspension is void. ). In case of Skoda why don't they admit issue with DQ 200 auto box. Where as they are doing the same in China and Singapore. Euro cars are well build and japs are good too and advantage with japs is better service.
abbey4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 14:07   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
So you feel that low powered engines i.e. poor drive experience coupled with bad after sales is why Fabia failed. Food for thought.
The price, engines & poor dealer support. The diesel Fabia cost 8 lakhs and had a very mediocre engine. Skoda went overboard with the premium image that it'd built in the market.

My quote:

Quote:
But what really sealed the deal was its absurd pricing. Few cars recover from the "over-priced" image. Just ask the new Ford Fiesta.
Quote:
Shankar, even as a mature car buyer, I would buy the Swift / i20 diesels over the Polo / Fabia any which day. The Swift is far more fun to drive while the i20 is a more "complete" family hatchback (depending whether I'm looking for fun or practicality).

Reliability, peace of the mind ownership and running costs are other areas whether the Japs & Koreans score over VW / Skoda.

Quote:
Maybe, it's also because the Japanese & Koreans have greatly improved their quality? They haven't exactly been standing still. The new Swift is a giant leap ahead of the old car in terms of feel. And in my books, the i20 remains the benchmark premium hatchback.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 14:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible that the European companies just want to clear their spares inventories lying since very long and just want to dispose it off in third-world markets like ours in whatever quantities they could ?
This may be the reason for under-powered engines and older technologies.
We have seen in case of Fiat and other manufacturer's case (Logan IIRC) that they are using parts that were manufactured around 3-5 years ago.
Just a wild guess?

Last edited by carwatcher : 18th May 2013 at 14:12.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 23:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The price, engines & poor dealer support. The diesel Fabia cost 8 lakhs and had a very mediocre engine. Skoda went overboard with the premium image that it'd built in the market.

My quote:

Shankar, even as a mature car buyer, I would buy the Swift / i20 diesels over the Polo / Fabia any which day. The Swift is far more fun to drive while the i20 is a more "complete" family hatchback (depending whether I'm looking for fun or practicality).

Reliability, peace of the mind ownership and running costs are other areas whether the Japs & Koreans score over VW / Skoda.

Maybe, it's also because the Japanese & Koreans have greatly improved their quality? They haven't exactly been standing still. The new Swift is a giant leap ahead of the old car in terms of feel. And in my books, the i20 remains the benchmark premium hatchback.
Matter of opinion really. I would not agree that the benchmark is set by the I 20 because there are many things I don't like about the car. However, I guess that could be because I prefer quality over bling and none of the Japanese or Korean cars offer sufficient under thigh support for a tall person like me - again this is my opinion and I do not expect everyone to subscribe to the same.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 07:44   #42
BHPian

Unfortunately, the European car companies treat Indian customers with scant respect.
They do not release euro spec cars in India and give us the dumbed down versions.
Also after sales support is sorely lacking. I don't mean BMW secure, but try getting a Polo or Fabia serviced.
Of course, they cannot price competitively. This is largely due to govt. apathy. When you have to pay high import duties, octroi, no subsidies on EVs, and other taxes, unfortunately the costs do go up.
I think in India, Maruthi or Tata makes the most sense. Even Mahindra has started assuming a premium image of itself.
Almost all the cars cut features in an effort to cut costs. That is an unfortunate trend.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 08:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Unfortunately, the European car companies treat Indian customers with scant respect.
They do not release euro spec cars in India and give us the dumbed down versions.
Also after sales support is sorely lacking. I don't mean BMW secure, but try getting a Polo or Fabia serviced.
Of course, they cannot price competitively. This is largely due to govt. apathy. When you have to pay high import duties, octroi, no subsidies on EVs, and other taxes, unfortunately the costs do go up.
I think in India, Maruthi or Tata makes the most sense. Even Mahindra has started assuming a premium image of itself.
Almost all the cars cut features in an effort to cut costs. That is an unfortunate trend.
Do you know that the Marutis, Mahindra's Tata's, Toyota's and Hyundai's which are manufactured in India and exported outside of India have a different spec to the ones that are destined to be sold inside the India market?

There are subtle things like side reinforcement beams and a whole lot of other things which help these vehicles hold their own in the European and International safety tests but which are all ruthlessly chopped off in the India spec versions in the rush for the holy grail of Fuel Economy, lightness and cost effectiveness. In the case of even the humble Mahindra MM550, there has been an export version in existence for quite a while, which includes safety features like ABS etc when the Indian one did not have it, ever.

My submission is that even these Japanese and Koreans and our Indian manufacturers treat the Indian consumers as a second rate lot who are not worthy of the same quality that they offer to the European markets!

The manufacturer's true to any capitalistic venture, will always sail close to the wind by offering the bare minimum value at the maximum price they can extract. Unless the government of India gets very serious about safety and other things, we can continue to expect the same step motherly treatment as car buyers.

It is therefore better, to save and go for a higher spec car of a recognized 'quality' marque. In short don't take a short cut into the Toyota, Skoda or other Brand by buying a cheap spec Liva or Rapid which lacks the real features that these good brands generally have as 'hygiene', but rather save your money, grit your teeth, wait a bit and go for a Corolla or a Laura which has the requisite specs and safety...

I learned this by trying to move up from my bare bones chuggy XD3PU Bolero to some better engine technology through the Crde route and buy into the Scorpio club with the de specced LX version which at the time, came with nothing at all in terms of driver aids or safety. Unfortunately the top spec version also had not been released at the time. When it did come out, comparing the LX to the top spec version was really no comparison at all.

There is also the fact that at the time, being the typical local bloke, I simply did not want to spend on the top spec version and took the short-cut described above. Over the next few years, priorities changed, I experienced several top spec cars on various holidays, safety and high quality became very important to us and I had to make the efforts to change...which is why the Yeti. Now the mantra is to recover one's investment by keeping the vehicle for a longer period of time, maintaining and using it well and enjoying what it has to offer.

One of the good things that I have experienced now because of buying the Yeti, is that the benchmark has become very different. The bar is set much much higher. I would now aspire to a Volvo or perhaps even some other compact Crossover. Perhaps it will be very tough to afford a brand new one but this offers an opportunity to upgrade laterally through the used route which might make a lot more financial sense on account of depreciation and so on, as well as give one a top experience at a lower price!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 10:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
The average Indian ...
... BMW (I know raft tyres are not suitable for india, buy still they will sell it and if you change the tyres the warranty on suspension is void. )...
Warranty on suspension is void! Where did you learn that? If you may use this information, it is not void.

The car is yours and you decide what to put on it; including the tyres. The warranty document reads that in case of a component failure, the burden of proof shifts to the owner in case e/she has affected any mods on the car. If the change of tyre causes a component failure which is most unlikely in case of switch from RFT to tubeless radials (softer sidewalls).

My only grouse with BMW was its service capacity in NCR. Now, with Faridabad opening up things are on the way up. No more long waits.
BeamerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 11:02   #45
BHPian

Sad to see Fabia being discontinued. I own a Fabia Ambiente model and will be completing 2 Years in couple of weeks. I was blown away by the quality and finish when I took the test drive and it still impress me everyday! I have had not a single issue with it for the past 2 years and have spent about Rs.2000/- during my first maintenance (next one due in a week time).

This car is much VFM than some of the C segment sedans out there (excluding the boot space). Was planning to sell this and get a bigger car soon, but, considering now that it is discontinued, would retain it for wifey. I dont think the market will give me good price now for a resale.
r0ckstar.1 is offline   Reply With Quote