Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which nationality auto manufacturer knows India best?
Koreans 58 32.04%
Japanese 110 60.77%
Germans 7 3.87%
Italians 4 2.21%
French 0 0%
Americans 1 0.55%
British 1 0.55%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th May 2006, 14:29   #31
BHPian

Its the Japanese!!! Proven by Suzuki, Honda and Toyota !!!
vinu99@gmail.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2006, 02:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

I vote for Koreans, Hyundai in particular. Didn't vote for Japanese because Suzuki had a head start of about 15 years over all the other car makers yet it took Hyundai hardly 5 years to start breathing down their neck. That shows whose doing a better job at trying to understand the Indian car buyer. Remember, if the market was not opened up, Suzuki would still be selling Zen AC/TG with black bumpers, forget power everything for over Rs. 5.0 lacs! We would never have seen Wagon R's or Swifts ever. Honda and Toyota are charging too much of a premium for their badge knowing the reverence Indians have towards anything HO and TO. Imagine, selling the Jazz/Fit as a premium sedan!
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 12:49   #33
BHPian

For Car's its Japanese Suzuki, Without doubt, because it was they who started an auto revolution in India.. Remember the story of two Nike shoe-salesmen who went to Africa.. Its the same thing with Suzuki, They believed that India is a Huge Market and brought in the right products at the right time to succeed in the market..Korean's Hyundai, just capitalized on the success of Suzuki, since people now wanted variety..

In the Trucking Segment, i would say that there are not may players and Tata's even managed to drive out a certain DCM Toyota and Mitsubishi. So Ashok Leyland and Tata's must be given credit for holding on their own on the home Turf..
man23ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 14:59   #34
DRC
BHPian

I think its Koreans!

They even seem to know how they can hoodwink indians
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006, 00:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its the same thing with Suzuki, They believed that India is a Huge Market and brought in the right products at the right time to succeed in the market..Korean's Hyundai, just capitalized on the success of Suzuki, since people now wanted variety..
I disagree with that. If Suzuki or MUL had their way, we would still be driving carbauratted models proudly badged as AC/TG for premium prices. It was the koreans who shook up MUL and forced them to launch newer and better cars. When Daewoo launched Cielo, MUL was forced to launch the Esteem 1.3 but incorrigable that they are, they insisted on a carbaurrator (spell check?) engine. When Hyundai and Daewoo were selling Santro and Matiz MPfi, MUL kept claiming that Indian fuel would mess up MPFI engines, conviniantly ignoring that the korean cars were doing just fine with the same Indian fuel. Ultimately, if i remember correctly, the Supreme Court ordered that MUL can't sell it's cars in the NCR due to emission problems and that forced MUL to upgrade their cars with MPFI technology. Also, if it wasn't for the super success of the Santro, MUL would never have launched the Wagon R.

Last edited by amit : 14th June 2006 at 00:52.
Old 14th June 2006, 11:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Has to be the Koreans - Hyundai in particular.

As Steer says, Suzuki were handed over the market and they held monopoly till the Koreans entered the fray and shook up the market. Its not easy coming into a market that worships Japanese cars on the name alone and becoming a bestseller that too in a segment where the Japs ruled roost.

The Japanese just did not have to work hard to understand the market , they sold on their powerful brand name while the Koreans were unknown entity with no reputation. The mere fact that today the Santro and the now defunct Matiz are still said to be the best cars in their segment is a testimony as to how the Koreans studied , understood and delivered in the Indian Market.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006, 16:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer
It is Japanese and Koreans. They provide what exactly indians want to buy
So you are now saying that Fiat doesnt know what indian's need ?????, your profile pic is saying something else ...

Last edited by maxbhp : 14th June 2006 at 16:21.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 09:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you are now saying that Fiat doesnt know what indian's need ????
A person may own any brand car and vote for some different brand in this thread. I wonder what point you are trying to make here. Even I own a Palio but voted for Koreans.
Old 13th December 2011, 12:08   #39
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: What nationality car manufacturer knows India best?

If we are talking nationalities other than Indian, then it is Koreans for sure. They have brought us the first CRDi technology, sun roofs in hatchbacks (Hyundai), latest models from their stable and many more firsts. They are not only nimble footed but also understand our market and straddle products at right price points and features.

If we have an option to have Indians in the list, surely they would emerge above the rest, look at Tatas and Mahindras. They have brought very relevant products in the market. Look at cars such as Indica, Sumo, Scorpio, XUV and the list goes on!
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 12:21   #40
BHPian

Good time to revive this very old thread . 5 years have brought so much more to the equation.

Sure Japan is in the lead, but I feel Germans have made the biggest stride forward, led by VW. And the sole Hyundai is still batting on for the Koreans.
CoolFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 12:45   #41
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote goes for Hyundai. They are geared to meet the aspiration of the advancing Indian
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 12:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

My vote also goes for the Hyundai. Their last few models have re-defined the segment. But I would have liked to see Mahindra in the list too. I believe they are really working on polishing their products and working on new ones which will capture the attention of us.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 14:27   #43
BHPian

My Vote goes to Germans. They have come big way in last two years. Volkswagon, with its flagships product and entering from luxury segment to mass segment (with Polo and Up) is truly recommendable.
<Badguy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 16:29   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote has gone for the Koreans.

Just look at how Hyundai is going from strength to strength. They have very, very good offerings all the way in each segment up to ~10 lakhs.

Santro and i10 are doing good for themselves, Eon will join the party soon; i20 has been doing; the new Verna too is quite a hit.

They have constantly got better at their product line-up.

Japenese - Honda hasn't given India diesel yet; that is going to be a huge sore point. Toyota catered to only a handful until recently and not everyone is pleased with the cheap offerings in Etios and Liva.

Suzuki - well, they have Maruti to support everything on ground; in whatever capacity.

I don't think the Europeans (Italians, Germans, British) know India well yet - else, they'd have better A.S.S. and cheaper spares.

The French have just started walking on their own.

After Figo, Ford had a beautiful chance in Fiesta - they messed up the pricing.

Underneath all the gloss, we still lust for VFM products - you provide that and you know us best.

So, Hyundai for now.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 13th December 2011 at 16:32.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 17:25   #45
GSM
BHPian

Why isn't "None of the Above" listed? I want it.

No body understands India. We Indian's don't understand ourselves. For that matter, no car manufacturer ever understands any country properly. We want a car which is priced really less. When we get a car, we crib about quality, and start comparing it with even the Ghost! When we get a car with good quality, we worry about Power. When power is taken care, we fret over price. And then the vicious cycle continues.

On a more serious note, can anybody understand any country as a whole? That would mean generalizing the behaviour and attitude of the entire population, which in the Indian context, is absolutely impossible. [Except the fact that India Prefers Diesels]

Cheers
GSM is offline   Reply With Quote