Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which nationality auto manufacturer knows India best?
Koreans 58 32.04%
Japanese 110 60.77%
Germans 7 3.87%
Italians 4 2.21%
French 0 0%
Americans 1 0.55%
British 1 0.55%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th December 2011, 22:56   #46
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: What nationality car manufacturer knows India best?

I voted as "Japanese" because i prefer the Quality and reliability what Japs provide. They dont treat india as a dumping ground and launch global facelifts within a short turn-around time. Example Wagon R was an outdated design in Japan. When I pay top dollar i expect quality and reliability, where Toyota and Honda have never let down. They offer lesser features but those features work as long as the lifetime of the vehicle.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 23:47   #47
Cool Re: What nationality car manufacturer knows India best?

I have voted for the Koreans! I think Hyundai has understood the Indian market really well and given us good cars with good quality interiors,engines,features and a good A**.Though Hyundai has not done well with their current set of cars in the C+ and D segment but they have learnt their mistakes(not all! Handling anyone?) and are coming out with all guns blazing with the upcoming avante, sonata ... The Japanese have been successful because of their excellent reliability and service(Suzuki/Toyota ) and great product offering at the right prices(Suzuki).Though Honda has just launched the Brio and the repriced jazz and has designed a new diesel engine, but due to the floods one cant gauge the if Honda has finally understood or not. Also the etios twins haven't blown away the competition as most people expected.

The Germans and Americans are slowly getting to know the Indian market better but certain factors like notorious A** and higher spare parts cost coupled with slight reliability issues are hampering their progress towards the top.Sometimes you do get things like the new fiesta which makes you wonder if they have the Alzheimer's disease!

Our very own desi car manufactures know the market very well but i guess lack of will,resources and technical skill hamper their progress.

My two cents for whatever its worth!
rambo1o1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 00:34   #48

Voted for the Japanese, but only because the Indians were not an option. Otherwise look no further than Tata and Mahindra as they know the Pulse of the country.

Actually there should be a reverse poll: Which country DOESN'T know much about India. It would be a toss-up between the British and the French!
abhi413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 09:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

I would rate Hyundai over the Japs any day here. They have understood Indian customers quite well for the following reasons -

1. Were the first to introduce hatches other than Maruti.
2. Were first to introduce auto in hatches in India
3. Are very price sensitive
4. were first to introduce Diesels in compact cars and mid sedans (<10L) in a big way. We had Maruti and FIAT providing diesels in a small way.
5. Have the biggest chain of service centers other than Maruti and Tata.
6. They have captured substantial market from Maruti even though they were >15 years late.
DieselFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 10:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

Why don't we find Indians as an option?
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 16:02   #51
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely second that point about Indians knowing our country the best. Consider all the vehicles launched by our very own Mahindras starting with the Scorpio to the latest XUV, they have had more hits than misses.

Even their so called mediocre ones sell at least 2K units, talking about Xylo etc which is not a bad number afterall. So its not just Koreans but our guys sitting and driving them (read Ssangyong) and ruling our UV market!
girishglg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 19:42   #52

My reasons for choosing Koreans (read - Hyundai)

Firstly, this is obviously a battle between the Japs and the Koreans, the other country manufacturers can't hope to even begin to understand the mindset of the aam aadmi in India.

1) Japanese: Major players again are only Honda and Toyota (Suzuki on their own couldn't have been able to pull it off, heck, most Indians know the collaboration as only 'Maruti'. Same is the case with Mitsubishi/HM, both described in the thread/poll opener)

Among the two, Honda clearly is a company more innovative from the technological pov. Whereas Toyota as we know is a global big player.
But come to think of it, has Honda ever designed a car for the averagr Indian ("Honda City" is the only name familiar for a common man)? Has Toyota (before the Etios/Liva)?

It is important to say 'Average Indian' here, because that's what we mean when we say India, and not us enthusiasts.

2) Koreans or Hyundai: These guys have had winners time and again. Santro, Accent, Accent viva, i10, i20, Verna, the list goes on. They have (as mentioned earlier) captured the no 2 slot after Maruti Suzuki.

I would say thay had it been Suzuki standalone, my vote would definitely go for the Japs. But since they've had a tremendous helping hand in the form of Maruti Udyog Pvt Ltd, I am inclined towards Koreans.
Harshal.Bhosale is offline   Reply With Quote