Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th May 2006, 20:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Suzuki - For Bikes (Heat-No Steam!)

Suzuki - The company that gave us bikes like the Samurai,Shogun and Fiero with TVS.It had the excellent Goodwill and Brand Image among the Buyers but instead of cashing in on it this company has let down the Buyer with their new offerings - Heat & Zeus.

We didn't SBK's from them but we didn't expect a 125cc with,
  • Round Headlamps
  • Ribbed Front Tyres
  • Not even Push Cancel Indicators
  • Historic Grab Rail
etc etc...

It's a time when every Manufacturer is moving forward by offering the following in 100CC Bikes,
  • Full Sized Front Fairing
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Sleek Tail Lamp Clusters
Suzuki will pay a BIG Price for this blunder.

Note: I own a Fiero and know the fact that Suzuki's strength lies in the Engine but that alone will not help in selling a bike.Sadly the Fiero didn't sell much 'coz it wasn't a great looker.Suzuki hasn't learnt it's lesson.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 20:54   #47
BHPian

Well I feel Maruti is making big one now by Stopping Zen. Its an awesome model.. Now after stopping it, they are launching something called MR Wagon R.. Dont stop Zen ...
prakash2757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 15:31   #48
BHPian

Maruti: 3-door zen, Baleno Estate(whassa name?)
Daewoo: Cielo price-cutting(1996) to counter Esteem. BIG blunder.
BMW: F650

And I agree 100% with Revhead abt matiz, having owned one for 5 years. The quality of switchgear, for one, cannot be found in pricier cars today.
MalluDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 16:30   #49
BHPian

Skoda Naming the new octavia "LAURA" (sorry, i've heard too many jokes playing on that name)
just kidding, i think its a fantastic car, friend just bought one..definitely one of the nicest diesels this side of 20 lakhs!!!!

Mallu dude, the Baleno Estate was the Altura
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 16:48   #50
Team-BHP Support

If the baleno was initially priced as what it is priced at today, i can safely say there would not have been any ikons/accents/corsas around. As a mattter of fact baleno would even shave off a lot more ohc/lancer customers than it actually managed to do.
To what i understand was that an indian buyer would surely pick a japanese product if both are offered around the same price, hence the lancer and honda had much more than just mere good looks to their advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j
The Standard 2000 failed cos of the problems with the Standard Motor company and the Indian Govt. Also; it was overpriced...i think it sold for 2-3 lakhs at a time the M800 sold for Rs.70,000
the standard 2000 as far as i can remember was the first indian car with a powers steering back then. had many more creature comforts compared to the maruti 800, boasted of an engine that was much before its time.
fuel efficiency of 7-8 kmpl is what determined the shirt life of the standard 2000, it was just somehow much ahead of its time.

manson.

Last edited by manson : 30th May 2006 at 16:56.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 09:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Default Biggest Blunder What I feel is ........

Hello Fellow Bhpians ,

I feel the biggest blunder what I feel is Fiat's JV with PAL . PAL was always plagued with labour issues . I feel FIAT didnt think much or didnt bother to research on the records of PAL . Instead they went along coz PAL as it was one of the biggest company and they are fairly expertised in making reasonably finished cars .
UNO achieved a record response from the consumers when it was launched. I still remember the UNO that had come for the display in here looked awesome for that time . The Fit , the Finish , Michelin tyres ..they all looked great for a market dominated by cars like Maruti A, Maruti B, Maruti C and Ambassador . They got record booking for their UNO right in 2 weeks. Sadly .....that was it...people who expected cars in 2 months got their babies faster (in 9 months) than UNO . Labour problems delayed production which in turn took away the confidence from the customers . My family had booked on ourselves.This should have taught them a lesson , that Fiat - PAL , wont be capable of consistent production capacity ..so if they want to launch a car selling significant numbers they need to find a new man in the town . Finally when manufacturers started pouring in from everyside they decided to launch Fiat Siena . A great car indeed . Sadly people still hated their service and where not confident enough to invest 6+ on a Fiat product . For them launching Sienna was a significant investment . They went wrong again. They wanted to get more aggressive ..they invested again and this time it was their most serious investment , sadly launch of Palio didnt help either .
Its like an Intelligent Kid flunking 3 times in a row inspite of working really hard for the exam , the problem was that the KId simply didnt care for the syllabus of his course instead he studied what ever he felt was essential .

I feel this is the biggest blunder coz Fiat had the products to kick some real serious money .Their products were so good bud sadly those were the only good things...

Last edited by maxbhp : 1st June 2006 at 09:05.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 10:55   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude
Maruti: 3-door zen
It wasnt a blunder...It was launched in a limited Edition of 400 pieces. 200 were Zen Carbon(All Black) & 200 were Zen Steel(All Silver)

I would have loved to pick one of these.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st June 2006 at 11:13.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 11:07   #53
BHPian

As everyone's written about the specific instances, the following come to mind as big blunders in management thinking:

Blunder #1. Believing that the cars that sell in emerging markets that they know best will automatically work in India as well
Reality: Indian car buyers are quite different from those in Brazil

Blunder #2. Believing Indian consumers want a well rounded car package
Reality: Indian car buyers care only about price and fuel economy. Ride handling, interiors, equipment quality, safety, long term reliability be damned

Blunder #3. Believing our vote-bank driven Government will ever rationalise petrol and diesel prices
Reality: If Suzuki had some foresight and local, mass produced CRDI models of the Swift and Baleno, then GM, Ford and Mitsubishi would have shut shop and gone home by now
SamRao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 18:18   #54
Senior - BHPian

Default Just a view....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRao
As everyone's written about the specific instances, the following come to mind as big blunders in management thinking:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRao

Blunder #2. Believing Indian consumers want a well rounded car package
Reality: Indian car buyers care only about price and fuel economy. Ride handling, interiors, equipment quality, safety, long term reliability be damned

Now regarding your views on Blunder 2# ,

I dont think you can completely go on that statement. Santro ...its doing really well these days I mean 11000 units a month for a car thats costing more than 3.5 lacs....Mileage not a strength....but its doing really really well . Want an example from D segment...Take Sonata Embrera , Cheap and easy on maintenence but sells not even 1/5th of Accord

Quote:
Blunder #3. Believing our vote-bank driven Government will ever rationalise petrol and diesel prices
Reality: If Suzuki had some foresight and local, mass produced CRDI models of the Swift and Baleno, then GM, Ford and Mitsubishi would have shut shop and gone home by now
  • GM owns a stake in Suzuki . 1.3 Multi jet Diesel from Fiat will soon find its way into most Suzuki's soon .
  • Baleno never had a problem with the engine .
  • Mitsubishi was never a competitor for suzuki except for Baleno (though no one ever saw both in the same class)
  • But suzuki need to really watch out for Toyota coz its a company having massive cash reserves and as quoted in magazines they are capable of launching a car faster than any one in the industry . Avigo ...1.1Hdi ....seems an interesting car .
Old 1st June 2006, 18:20   #55
Senior - BHPian

Default For information.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
It wasnt a blunder...It was launched in a limited Edition of 400 pieces. 200 were Zen Carbon(All Black) & 200 were Zen Steel(All Silver)

I would have loved to pick one of these.
  • The reason they had launched the car was to clear surplus cars which was made for export market.
Old 1st June 2006, 18:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi
5. Yamaha. We buy yamaha for its performance dude not FE. A standing ovation guys, this is a company that managed to kill its reputation, which every company tries to achive.
Well..thats because they started off with the RX-100 which was "the" performance bike of that time..

But with the environment playing it big as well as the Bajaj boffins doing a wonderful job, - they lost out the performance edge - cause 2 stokes were banned.

I still believe that the 2 stroke RX is a much faster bike than the Pulsar if ridden well. The Pulsar has good power delivery and has a larger engine..

Yamaha are forced to goto 4 stroke for environment reasons and they just do not have the R&D skills like Bajaj..kudos to them...
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 18:52   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Well..thats because they started off with the RX-100 which was "the" performance bike of that time..

But with the environment playing it big as well as the Bajaj boffins doing a wonderful job, - they lost out the performance edge - cause 2 stokes were banned.

I still believe that the 2 stroke RX is a much faster bike than the Pulsar if ridden well. The Pulsar has good power delivery and has a larger engine..

Yamaha are forced to goto 4 stroke for environment reasons and they just do not have the R&D skills like Bajaj..kudos to them...
Now thats ... ...hmm...not acceptable...Pulsar 180/150 has the power but the more important thing is it can be handled easier than Yamaha above 80+ & I dont think Yam is really stable on curves . Straight line may be ....it can beat a pulsar with engine mods .On ghats with equaly good riders , I feel Yam RX doesnt stand a chance.

But yes , Yamaha really rocks a bike freak !!!!!
R1 go!!!!!
Old 3rd June 2006, 04:31   #58
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush
Second blunder that Toyota has probably committed is not having launced a small car till now.
Patience. It is coming.
SuperSyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2006, 10:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn
Patience. It is coming.
Toyota Avigo with its 1.1 Hdi should really rock and it seems they have designed the car with minimum body panels to keep the cost of production low not to mention lower time required for making a car, lets wait and see......I hope they launch Fortuner too ...very soon.

Last edited by maxbhp : 3rd June 2006 at 10:36.
Old 3rd June 2006, 10:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Bajaj better than Yamaha in terms of R&D ...hmm.........thats new ... So Rossi was better of joining Bajaj than Yamaha ?...no wonder he switched to Repsol Honda .....

I guess what you had meant was Yamaha wasnt willing to invest in Indian market as they dont have small capacity four stroke bikes to really fight headon with Bajaj /Honda/HH

Last edited by maxbhp : 3rd June 2006 at 10:42.