Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th August 2013, 11:11   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Is Audi readying a cut-price Q3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
The pricing comes as expected. The cut-price Q3 was always going to be close to the 25 mark. Audi will not devalue their brand, as they once mentioned earlier, by bringing in low-cost products to cater to the mass markets.

Expect the A3 to also launch in the same ballpark figure of ~25L ex showroom.
Absolutely not. I actually expect the A3 to undercut the Q3 by significant amount. It is on the MQB platform that is cheaper and more flexible to produce. Also, keep in mind that the A3 will also have petrol versions too, that will keep the starting price lower. Unlike the A class, the A3 will be locally assembled and thus can be more competitively priced.

I expect 22 lacs ex showroom (or close to it) for the base petrol version. Although, I am secretly hoping that we can get a 19.99 lacs ex showroom. That will really set the cat among the pigeons.

Back to the Q3 S, I think ACI reported 24.99 ex showroom a while back. Can they surprise us by pricing it even lower?
Abhi_Automobile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 14:02   #77
BHPian

Quote:
The pricing comes as expected. The cut-price Q3 was always going to be close to the 25 mark. Audi will not devalue their brand, as they once mentioned earlier, by bringing in low-cost products to cater to the mass markets.

Expect the A3 to also launch in the same ballpark figure of ~25L ex showroom.
Rushlane reports that the Q3 S has been launched at Rs. 24.99 Lakhs, ex-Delhi.

http://www.rushlane.com/audi-q3s-wit...x-1287180.html
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 16:40   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
My two paisa. Talking of diluting the brand, in the past Audi India's top management have made some noises about not launching the A3 sedan in India as it would create positioning nightmares. However, most media outlets continue to say that the A3 sedan is India bound. I don't think it makes sense for Audi to launch a sub 20 lakh rupee car. It could kill exclusivity and drive down the brand value. In fact, a few people whom I know don't want to buy the Mercs and Beemers of this world. They'd rather settle for a Jaguar or some other luxury marquee that makes them stand out a little bit. This is what I've observed. Most people who can afford it, want to stand out. Audis and Mercs don't seem to be cutting it for many of these people.
Audi's hesitation to bring in the A3 sedan probably stems from the fact that they already have two other sister brands here - VW and Skoda. If they bring in an A3 somewhere between 25 and 35 lakhs they're probably concerned about what that would do to the sales of say, the Superb or the Passat. BMW and Merc don't have that problem.
Also, Jaguar's perceived exclusivity comes from the fact that they only make four cars and nothing else. It's not that these cars are superior to their rival German counterparts in any way. Your friends are willing to pay a premium only for a perception of exclusivity in my opinion, and not for a superior product. No offense, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I am not sure if everybody wants an AT, especially many of the younger buyers they are targeting in this segments. In fact, not just younger ones.
Let's hope for an affordable and interesting Manual option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The good thing i make out of this is the return of the manual tranny in the premium segment hoping it would make BMW and Merc to think about introducing them since the C class m/t was the last one sold.
Totally agree. Even if I had the budget for a top-end Q3 I'd still get the manual tranny. Through in a decent tuning box or remap and voila - you've got all the performance of the 174bhp brigade, and all the joy of a manual engine.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 19:12   #79
BHPian

The Car has lost a lot of its goodies and i wouldnt consider an audi without them. On the other hand i do feel that many Fortuner, Captiva buyers are going to look at this car and wonder why they shouldnt consider it. After all who uses a Fortuner or Captiva for off roading anyways.
nik_kapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 07:38   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

New Audi Q3 S racks up 125 bookings on launch day.

Quote:
Audi claims that this sets a new benchmark in the industry, and that the online booking process has contributed to this strong debut by allowing car buyers across the country the opportunity to book the SUV online.
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/353...aunch-day.aspx
volkman10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 07:55   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Does the price really look that good when you consider the loss of power, quattro, AT box and other stuff?

But, so long as the badge says Audi Q3, there will be many takers I guess.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 08:56   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
The Car has lost a lot of its goodies and i wouldnt consider an audi without them. On the other hand i do feel that many Fortuner, Captiva buyers are going to look at this car and wonder why they shouldnt consider it. After all who uses a Fortuner or Captiva for off roading anyways.
Well Fortuner and Captiva are quite spacious cars. The Fortuner is a full blown 7 seater whereas the Q3 is around as much space as a Honda City. The Q3 has manual climate control, I mean 28 OTR Delhi and you don't even get Auto AC is a serious let down.

The X1 and the B now look proper value compared to the Q3. Unless you have really badge conscious people and even for them the Merc and BMW are higher in the food chain than the Audi, except for people who want to go for a pseudo SUV shape, this car won't achieve the kind of traction they would hope for. They should have started it much below the X1 and the B to even get people thinking. I am guessing Merc and BMW are sitting and quite enjoying themselves right now.
eq24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 09:16   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Default What is this? New audi Advt!

I saw the Audi Advertisement for the Q3 S Edition tom-tomming 125 bookings in a day in today's Times of India.

As part of the text they write

........with features like the high revving six-speed manual transmission .......

as far as I know transmissions are not high revving, engines are, or is this a new VW family invention!!!.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 10:29   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I saw the Audi Advertisement for the Q3 S Edition tom-tomming 125 bookings in a day in today's Times of India.

As part of the text they write

........with features like the high revving six-speed manual transmission .......

as far as I know transmissions are not high revving, engines are, or is this a new VW family invention!!!.
Shameful Audi. I passed the new swanky showroom at Baba Kharak Singh Marg in Delhi yesterday and they had a huge launch event for the car. The showrooms also been recently opened so they had the entire building lit up in audi colours and a projected logo.
The car is a disappointment for what it offers and i am still wondering if we will ever see a car below 20L from the 3 luxury car makers?
nik_kapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 11:02   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Well Fortuner and Captiva are quite spacious cars. The Fortuner is a full blown 7 seater whereas the Q3 is around as much space as a Honda City.
Right on. A Fortuner buyer knows what he is buying and why, and I don't think there will be a lot of cross-poaching of customers there. And yes, though very few Fortuner buyers go off-roading, that's not why they buy it anyway. They buy it for a comfortable ride over a few lakh Km of abuse through horrible roads and dusty environmental conditions, with very reasonable cost of ownership. It will be some way before Audi Q reaches there.

However for anyone thinking of a premium soft-roader like a CRV, Outlander or even a Captiva, suddenly this looks like a tempting alternative. So, it will be interesting to say the impact on sales of these models over the next few months.

I hope Audi has their production and supply chain in order. At least the CEO had the good sense not to go for interviews talking about his factories being fully ready to produce whatever volume the customers want blah blah..
Contrapunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 11:56   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
However for anyone thinking of a premium soft-roader like a CRV, Outlander or even a Captiva, suddenly this looks like a tempting alternative.
The decision is not always about buying the car and leaving it at that. It is also about maintaining it. If you factor in maintenance expenses, the Audi will be a much more expensive option when compared to the CRV, Outlander and the Captiva. The 24.99 price tag is tempting but the the Q3S wont stand as a VFM product when comparing it with the other three soft roaders.

And then you're getting a stripped off barebone Audi at Audi prices. What's the fun in that except bragging rights?
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 12:23   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The decision is not always about buying the car and leaving it at that. It is also about maintaining it. If you factor in maintenance expenses, the Audi will be a much more expensive option when compared to the CRV, Outlander and the Captiva. The 24.99 price tag is tempting but the the Q3S wont stand as a VFM product when comparing it with the other three soft roaders.
That’s a good point, especially when comparing with the higher priced models from less expensive brands. For the Q3 S, except for the initial investment (or the monthly EMIs), the cost of ownership/maintenance bit should be similar to that of the higher variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx
And then you're getting a stripped off barebone Audi at Audi prices. What's the fun in that except bragging rights?
Question is, how much barebone an Audi can be (or a Mercedes/BMW for that matter)? They might have compromised a bit on the comfort features like sun-roof, ACC etc., but the core strengths are intact. Even the so called base variants (be it the Q3 or the A/B-Class), comes fully loaded with safety features, and the driving dynamics remain unchanged. Say, the Polo or Vento maybe offering climate control, but when they launch a variant like this, they should be looking at what the competition is offering, and not a few segments below. I think the Q3 S is quite well-loaded when compared with the likes of A-Class or B-Class diesel. Interested to see BMW’s reply on this
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 12:55   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Question is, how much barebone an Audi can be (or a Mercedes/BMW for that matter)?... I think the Q3 S is quite well-loaded...
The Q3 is as barebone as an Audi can get as of today's date. The upcoming A3 may just take its place at a future date. Although, I hope it doesn't.

I was particularly referring to the omission of the Quattro in the Q3S. Audi's Quattro is one of a kind - a trademark characteristic of an Audi. Audi SUV's with their Quattro technology are what really makes them worthy of that brand. Omit that and you're quintessentially losing out the most important Audi gene. One can live sans the sunroof, auto A/C and other niceties, but provide an Audi without the Quattro, make it a 2WD and you're really buying the Audi for just the badge and nothing else.

I think the the A3 will be interesting because Audi may just launch that with the Quattro system and price it at par with the Q3S.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 13:02   #89
Team-BHP Support

I know I'm going to get bashed for this but what exactly is the difference between a top end Highline Jetta and the Q3 S?

Both are front wheel drive 140PS 6 speed manual box. Features wise actually comparable with no xenons, sunroof and other stuff.

Ground clearance of Jetta is 160mm and Q3 is 170mm. Interior space is way more in the Jetta than the Q3.

Plastic bits inside maybe of better quality but the price difference is almost 9lakhs between a Jetta Highline and the Q3S.

Essentially you are getting a Jetta but paying for an Audi. My advice to anyone looking at the Q3: don't get fooled by the SUV tag and go get yourself a Jetta. If you want to spend more than buy a EcoSport with the money left over after buting the Jetta for the bad roads.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 13:33   #90
Team-BHP Support

and adding to Viddy's points, my Jetta very rarely grounds on bad roads!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote