Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th June 2013, 07:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: RTO inspection & registration for new cars at the dealership itself

Hopefully it would also save time, and at the same time make the process more authentic and transparent, although in Bangalore i did not see this as a problem but some of the forum members have been shortchanged by dealership when buying new cars.

This was the thread i talking about, hopefully something like this would not happen in future.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ined-road.html (Maruti Dealership delivers Omni without registration. Fined on Road!)

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 6th June 2013 at 07:32.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 09:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: RTO inspection & registration for new cars at the dealership itself

Definitley a positive move by the RTO authorities and a big plus to the customer as they would have lesser reading on the Odo and not take any crap from dealer that the vehicle had to be drive to RTO from their warehouse.

Is this because the vigilance at the RTO's have been increased considering the recent news about many RTO officials being caught dealing in illegal ways. This means that the RTO guys can now deal outside their offices and in a way expand their other earnings.

If the RTO were to visit the dealers only if more than 10 cars are ready for registration , how many such occassions would call for this? Maybe a couple of festive seasons. Would this be all round the year? I doubt it. What about Fiat/VW/Nissan/Renault dealers where even during the festive season they might not be ready to register 10 cars?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 10:46   #18
BHPian

The only positive i see out of it is that our brand new cars would not be driven by rash drivers and sometimes for long distances.

I don't think it will assist the RTO officials in any wrongdoing. I believe 10 cars per week would be the total from nearby dealerships. I don't see Audi's and Merc's doing 10 cars frequently.
Mr.Beat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 10:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well it assists RTOs in a way . Just check there is 3000-5000 Rs charges towards "number plate handling" added in invoice at every car dealer in Bangalore for past many years.

I do not think fixing 2 plates with 4 screws each is such a laborious process . These charges are fully legal and we do pay 12.25% service tax to GOI for this service as well.

Now there is 0 corruption at RTO since individuals generally don't register themselves.
I think in Mumbai as well the number plate handling will become more labor intensive once this sytem is introduced.

This kind of system is also replicated at sub-registrar offices for property registration , builders / developers now have service charges in their invoice and no exchange of wads happen anywhere near to premises of sub-registrar office.

Few years back there were Lokayukta raid at these offices and "cleanup" was introduced a guess because of that.

Last edited by amitk26 : 6th June 2013 at 10:59.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 12:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

This has been in Delhi for over 13 years, at least for Maruti cars. The dealer normally lets you choose a registration number from a list and your registration is done. You get the number plate then and there (at least till they started the High Security business). In non smart card era, when I got my Esteem in 2000, the paper registration was given immediately. With smart card you collect it from the dealer after one week.

I think larger dealers have this facility as even Honda gave the number immediately.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 20:43   #21
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I just bumped into this thread and thought of opening it for discussion again.
How does it happen in Bangalore ? I took delivery of my new car fortnight back and the car had 9KM driven during PDI and during delivery it was 10 KM. Surely the RTO is not that close so was wondering how does it happen in Bangalore ?
Cooltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 09:59   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

What happened to the proposal ( a fe years ago) to give a block of numbers to a dealership, who will allot the number and then do the paperwork and submit to the RTO.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote