Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th June 2013, 20:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Soon, uniform road tax of 6% across all states

Seriously doubt this will ever happen. When Govts are ok with contempt of court in closing down liquor shops in residential areas/highways with revenue in mind, this proposal will find its way to the dustbin as soon as its put forth
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 20:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am sure its not easy to implement. States with road tax below 6% currently would welcome the move.

I am pretty sure it will not happen. States will oppose it and threaten to withdraw support, which will result in halting this rule.

Secondly, from state perspective, the area of each state is different, so it does not make sense to have a uniform road tax structure. Lakshadweep is just 32 sq km. Daman & Diu are just 112 Sq Km, but Rajasthan is 342,000 sq km. I am sure states will oppose.

There are two options that i see - Once the central govt issues funds to states who cannot manage on 6%. This aint going to happen as central is already shouting deficit of funds. Second option is to make the area of every state equal, which also will result in clashes and protests.

Above All, Government cares only about agriculturists, They care 2 hoots for automobile owners.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 21:15   #18
BHPian

The idea of uniform road tax levy throughout the country and a national permit for passenger /private vehicles is a good one. No more hassles from the RTOs of each state we pass thru or migrate to. How long will it take to implement these schemes is the question.
ashphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 21:57   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
This real good news, Bangaloreans can heave sigh of relief once this is implemented.
====
A centralised vehicle number also makes sense instead of all state specific ones like MH, KL, KA, TN, AP etc
I think the regustration numbers should represent where that vehicle got registered. It need not be MH, KL, KA, etc., but maybe something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I am sure its not easy to implement. States with road tax below 6% currently would welcome the move.
========
Above All, Government cares only about agriculturists, They care 2 hoots for automobile owners.
I guess they will definitely keep the Union territories aside from this regime.

I welcome this move, but wanted to understand how are they planning to provide solace to the car owners from Karnataka? Refund the X amount back? Duh !! it is even possible to get money from a govt institution? While states where the road tax is less would ask all car owners to cough up the extra amount?
nkishore_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 22:14   #20
BHPian

This is only a pipe dream. Never going to happen. If at all it does happen, the states will find some more ingenious ways of milking the taxpayers. How else will the politicos sustain their lifestyle?
Deep Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 22:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkishore_007 View Post
I think the regustration numbers should represent where that vehicle got registered. It need not be MH, KL, KA, etc., but maybe something else.

I guess they will definitely keep the Union territories aside from this regime.

I welcome this move, but wanted to understand how are they planning to provide solace to the car owners from Karnataka? Refund the X amount back? Duh !! it is even possible to get money from a govt institution? While states where the road tax is less would ask all car owners to cough up the extra amount?
There's a saying in Kannada: "Shmashana ke hodu hena matte sarkarakke hodu hana yavattu wapas baralla" (Corpse sent to cemetery and cash sent to goverment never return)
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 23:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The reduced tax is welcome because Karnataka probably has the highest taxes, paid by the public to maintain the most egomaniacal, nasty politicians and MP's, MLA's and whatnot, sustain the highest level of corruption and nurture the status quo on worst infrastructure in the country.
Some percentage of this tax goes into funding the 'Namma Metro' just like how an education cess is levied on income tax. Private vehicle owners partially funding public transport systems is something many developed nations do. And in terms of infrastructure too, Bangalore has invested a lot on flyovers, ring roads, etc in the past 15 years, which might have necessitated collecting a higher road tax.
Daewood is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 23:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Some percentage of this tax goes into funding the 'Namma Metro' just like how an education cess is levied on income tax. Private vehicle owners partially funding public transport systems is something many developed nations do. And in terms of infrastructure too, Bangalore has invested a lot on flyovers, ring roads, etc in the past 15 years, which might have necessitated collecting a higher road tax.
I do understand this way of taxation but dont you think there is a flaw when a person who buys a car anywhere in Karnataka for example even with horrible roads has to pay the same slabs so that bangalore gets a metro? Or should it not be specific to RTO's of a particular area get more of a cess as compared to the rest?

As 4.25 lacs was the road tax we paid last year and the area i come from is coorg. What we get is basically a testing ground for Nasa maybe to get their mars rover tested.

Uniform slab should be welcomed. Else a lot of folks will still continue going to PY and UK to get their cars registered.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 23:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

I don't have issues paying taxes which are then utilized for public infrastructure projects. I moved my car to Bangalore 3 years ago from MP and paid the absurdly inflated road tax amount upfront, so I've put my money where my mouth is.

What I take issue with, is even the Bangaloreans don't get any return for their taxes. Infrastructure is the worst among major cities, and the Metro is a bottomless pit that just keeps gobbling funds and gives nothing in return. There's still no firm timeline to commission services, 7 years after the project started.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 00:07   #25
BHPian

Like many other countries, in India also, the Government needs to think about levying the Road Tax (RT) along with the fuel. The road tax can be the part of the other taxes levied on petrol/diesel/CNG/LPG.

Yes, the road tax is a state subject and it should go to the State Government. The State Government will take its share of Road Tax from the overall sales of fuel, like they do in case of VAT.

There are many advantages of this scheme.
1. An example: Me and my friend bought the same model car at the same time. We paid the same amount of road tax. I run the car around 2000 KMs per month but my friend hardly uses his car and clocks about 500 KMs per month. My friend who hardly runs the car on the road paid the same amount of road tax like me but I rip the road. This scheme will bring in parity.

2. Wherever you go and run the car and fill fuel, you pay tax there, be it any state. So, if you are running the car in Tamilnadu, you have to fill fuel in Tamilnadu and pay the road tax to Tamilnadu Government. If you are bringing the car to Andhra Pradesh and running there then you have to fill fuel and Aandhra Pradesh and pay the road tax to Andhra Pradesh Government.

3. The more I run the car, the more I use the road and the more I pay the road tax.

But in this case, the road tax should be uniform in all the state.

You comments are solicited.
byomjeet is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 00:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by byomjeet View Post
Like many other countries, in India also, the Government needs to think about levying the Road Tax (RT) along with the fuel. The road tax can be the part of the other taxes levied on petrol/diesel/CNG/LPG.

Yes, the road tax is a state subject and it should go to the State Government. The State Government will take its share of Road Tax from the overall sales of fuel, like they do in case of VAT.

3. The more I run the car, the more I use the road and the more I pay the road tax.

But in this case, the road tax should be uniform in all the state.

You comments are solicited.
I think this is actually a fantastic idea. It really makes sense. Atleast when I read it. I am not sure what the intricacies are to implementing the idea, or what are the other factors that go in while determining road tax, and hence can't really say, but it does seem like a really good idea indeed.
Only issue that I have with it, is that with our insane prices for fuel, this will take the cost of fuel to a crazy level, and car sales will drop like dead flies. And two-wheelers will once again be king. Mileage will be paramount, and performance will be relegated. Public transport will be the choice of the day.
The good part? The roads will be empty once again.
rowhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 06:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
There is a fuel surcharge for infrastructure development which is being levied right from the year 2000. I would take all the 'investments' with a tablespoon of salt because judging by the quality of what we see.

We pay some huge amount of VAT around 20% or more for our vehicles. We also pay some monstrous amount of road tax.

What do we receive back? Simply zilch!

Most of our public roads are in a mess. While they are building flyovers, to travel beneath these is a mortal danger to man, beast and vehicle beause they just cannot be bothered to fix the roads beneath these great flyovers while the work is in progress.

Coming back from or going to the International Airport in the dark is a complete joke. One is literally going on 4 rubber tyres and a prayer. It is like a game of russian roulette where one does not know which barrel is loaded or in this case, which intersection will contain a lurking death in the form of three tons of hurtling metal in truck form...the constant diversions are hardly marked, very ill lit indeed and can cause a terrible accidental demise by one bashing into the barriers at a rate of speed. If the impact does not kill one, then one will surely die of blood poisoning, considering the rusted, broken state of those barriers...

This so called super airport elevated road has been in the making for how long? Around 4 years? Why do we accept such crass apathy on the part of this idiot government in this particular state?

The great Namma Metro is more of a showcase because it does nothing for the suburban population who really need it. Take a good look at some of the roads around Koramangala, or HSR, which are some of the better class hubs in Bangalore and you would be shocked at the condition. If we had easy bus connectivity without having to walk 2 kms, most of us would prefer taking a Volvo. If indeed I have to walk 2 kms yes, I will, but at least please give us proper footpaths to walk on, instead of this rubble infested, construction debris laden, obstacle course that we have to navigate day by day!

We talk of developed nations and private vehicle owners funding public infrastructure. Yes, I agree. I have been honestly paying my income taxes and road taxes and VAT and all sorts these last so many years. Do you know that one pays 14% VAT and another 5.4-6% for Service Taxes when one goes out for a meal? Has anyone thought how much this scummy government collects by way of indirect taxes?

What have we got in return? Not very much frankly. Not even a feeling of basic safety, zero infrastructure, no street lighting and tons of filthy corruption. Can you wonder that I am displeased?

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2013 at 11:14. Reason: Lets avoid flaming posts that are off-topic. Removing last paragraph
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 09:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
An Indian Number plate is far better than this nonsensical state led stuff. The reduced tax is welcome because Karnataka probably has the highest taxes, paid by the public to maintain the most egomaniacal, nasty politicians and MP's, MLA's and whatnot, sustain the highest level of corruption and nurture the status quo on worst infrastructure in the country.
The idea of having a national number plate is far more sensible than having states deal with registrations.With respect to Bangalore it is a boon for people who are continuously harassed with respect to vehicle registrations from other states.
nitrosarit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 09:52   #29
BHPian

How does the GST fit in? Is it not supposed to supersede all these taxes? When GST is supposed to be pegged at 16%, will this new agreement of 6% last only till GST is implemented?
venkateshkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 10:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

Secondly, from state perspective, the area of each state is different, so it does not make sense to have a uniform road tax structure. Lakshadweep is just 32 sq km. Daman & Diu are just 112 Sq Km, but Rajasthan is 342,000 sq km. I am sure states will oppose.
Surely Rajasthan would have a much bigger population base, and many times more vehicles being registered than Lakshwadeep or Daman & Diu. SO the collection of tax would naturally be many times more even if they had a equal tax structure.
slicvic is offline   Reply With Quote