Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th August 2013, 16:43   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Soon, uniform road tax of 6% across all states

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Pondicherry.... Though it comes with its own set of headaches and issues. But saves big bucks.
It is illegal to pay a road tax in one state, and drive the vehicle in another. As per forum rules, such things should not be encouraged. And in any case, Karnataka government has started a crackdown on vehicles from other states, so it is highly inadvisable to take any chance on this.
Tats07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 17:03   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
It is illegal to pay a road tax in one state, and drive the vehicle in another. As per forum rules, such things should not be encouraged. And in any case, Karnataka government has started a crackdown on vehicles from other states, so it is highly inadvisable to take any chance on this.
Hmm so if a person visits 3 states regularly do you propose a user keep 3 registration numbers? Is that legal?
Please do not quote laws about which you have no idea. There is a time limit given.
If you are in a state for more than "X" period you have to take registration of that state. Its simple.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 17:37   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hmm so if a person visits 3 states regularly do you propose a user keep 3 registration numbers? Is that legal?
Please do not quote laws about which you have no idea. There is a time limit given.
If you are in a state for more than "X" period you have to take registration of that state. Its simple.
I don't think we are talking about the specific case of a person moving around in 3 states, or the member concerned will actually be using the vehicle only for a brief period of time in Karnataka, and then move somewhere else. My comment was made in the context of the fact that it is not advisable to register in another state just to save road taxes. And it is quite common with many Bangalore car owners, who live and drive here, but get the vehicles registered elsewhere.

Your comment on my idea on laws was bit harsh. I'm aware of the law which specifies the period of time before one has to pay the road tax. Karnataka used to allow till 1 year, it may have been amended. Didn't think that was being discussed here.
Old 1st September 2013, 12:20   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There is a time limit given.
I drive a KL registered vehicle in Bangalore. I did pay lifetime road tax in Karnataka as well, but it is not mandatory to change the registration number. As per the RTO, it is advisable but not mandatory.
purebliss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 19:49   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebliss View Post
I drive a KL registered vehicle in Bangalore. I did pay lifetime road tax in Karnataka as well, but it is not mandatory to change the registration number. As per the RTO, it is advisable but not mandatory.
Have 2 questions

1. Did you apply for a refund in Kerala? If yes, could you share the procedure?

2. Isn't the no change to KA mandatory after a year?

Thanks!
aajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:13   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebliss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Isn't the no change to KA mandatory after a year?...
It is mandatory to change the number within 11 months to be exact as per RTO rules in Karnataka. Please check this FAQ Link from Karnataka RTO, and scroll down to Question 9 on the section titled "QUESTIONS RELATING TO MIGRATION OF OTHER STATE VEHICLES INTO KARNATAKA STATE".

Quoting from the Link: "A Vehicle is not permitted to ply with other state registration mark beyond 11 months from the date of migration . So you should apply and obtain the Karnataka Registration mark before that period".
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:33   #67
BHPian

Any idea as to when this rule will be implemented? I've gone through many articles online but none of them give a modicum of information as to when they plan on implementing it. Govt officials or people with connections please provide your inputs.
D'Artagnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:41   #68
BHPian

Quote:
It is mandatory to change the number within 11 months to be exact as per RTO rules in Karnataka. Please check this FAQ Link from Karnataka RTO, and scroll down to Question 9 on the section titled "QUESTIONS RELATING TO MIGRATION OF OTHER STATE VEHICLES INTO KARNATAKA STATE".

Quoting from the Link: "A Vehicle is not permitted to ply with other state registration mark beyond 11 months from the date of migration . So you should apply and obtain the Karnataka Registration mark before that period".
Even in AP, If my understanding is correct, the following cases are valid:
1. You can drive your outside AP registered vehicle for 1 month without any problem. Of course, you will be required to prove this fact somehow.
2. For > 1 month, you have to pay life-time road tax according to tax slab (% of car's invoice value)
3. For > 1 year, you are required to change the number and get the vehicle registered in AP but RTO people are not very strictly enforcing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
Any idea as to when this rule will be implemented? I've gone through many articles online but none of them give a modicum of information as to when they plan on implementing it. Govt officials or people with connections please provide your inputs.
Since , it is a high source of revenue to the states, I don't think states where tax rate is > 6% would like to agree on this
sahilkhurana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:40   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Karnataka used to allow till 1 year, it may have been amended. Didn't think that was being discussed here.
Its still 1 year. But if a person shifts to Karnataka as part of job transfer then he has to pay road tax immediately.
But i was surprised to see RTO official quoting 6 months time in a recent times of india edition which seems to be incorrect.

People are utilizing the above rule by buying a car in nearby states.
Instead of RTO/Traffic authorities standing on road sides to stop these cars and create further jams, Govt should bring down tax to a reasonable level looking at current infrastructure.
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:13   #70
BHPian

This would be a heaven sent relief for people in Karnataka, although I'm not sure the local lobbies/authorities would be keen to implement this, given how much extra moolah flows into their coffers.
Parth46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 22:27   #71
BHPian

We really need this in place as moving around with personal vehicles is a pain in India, specially due to states like Karnataka which rob people in the name of road tax though most of the good roads(which is a rare thing) are either tolled roads or National Highways!

I found this very interesting document from the Planing Commision of India which can give you guys a birds eye view about the state of affairs in the country.

Please search for the Phrase "Table 4.3: Road Tax on Motor Car (Personal) in Indian States" to directly navigate to the table which lists the road tax state wise for a 1000cc 4 wheeler.

http://planningcommission.nic.in/rep...r/ser_ruti.pdf
adneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 03:45   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Please search for the Phrase "Table 4.3: Road Tax on Motor Car (Personal) in Indian States" to directly navigate to the table which lists the road tax state wise for a 1000cc 4 wheeler.
The table seems out of date. AP has moved to 12% of the cost of the vehicle.
karthikpra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 08:39   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikpra View Post
The table seems out of date. AP has moved to 12% of the cost of the vehicle.
In AP, it is 12% for 1st time vehicle buyers and ex-showroom price less than 10 lakhs. Basically, there should not be an entry on your name/pan card combination in RTA database to claim 12% tax.

It is 14% if it is a 2nd vehicle (even if your 1st vehicle is a 2 wheeler), ex-showroom price greater than 10 lakhs and for institutional purchases.
vvrchandra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 08:59   #74
BHPian

These days Gov't is trying to squeeze every possible tax from it's people. So, I don't think this is going to happen any near soon.

In Andhra Pradesh, It's really horrible practice to put additional 2% tax even if you have two wheeler in your name.

But AP is more likely divided into two states (Basing on hesitations and Gov't announcements these days), then the tax may be lowered. 'Coz at present they are taxing in view of 23 districts in the state.
Wildy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 10:37   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
In AP, it is 12% for 1st time vehicle buyers and ex-showroom price less than 10 lakhs. Basically, there should not be an entry on your name/pan card combination in RTA database to claim 12% tax.

It is 14% if it is a 2nd vehicle (even if your 1st vehicle is a 2 wheeler), ex-showroom price greater than 10 lakhs and for institutional purchases.
Is AP the first state to implement this increasing tax slab per vehicle? I haven't seen it elsewhere.
Although it may have several loopholes, it's a step in the right direction.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote