Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2015, 11:43   #886
BHPian

Default re: The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
@Vigkey, the ACC is not there I am sure. Else Honda would have shown it in the teaser. And as you rightly said, Honda is very stingy about offering ACC for some reason - the international versions of Jazz mostly have manual AC though they have sunroof, cruise control, bigger wheels and all sorts of safety features.

The shark fin antenna is there .. I am kind of lazy to go through the video once more but I am sure I saw it.

Also, if you notice the steering wheel, I don't see any controls for phone/bluetooth. That will be blasphemous in this age and segment. I hope I am wrong on this one.

Honda should be including the ACC unit on the Jazz, else they're making a big mistake. Maybe they missed it in the ad since the feature is not segment first to be shown off in the promotion video

Omission of phone controls, if true, will be a big mistake from Honda. They cannot justify missing essential features like ACC and Phone controls while positioning it as a premium hatch.

Hope they equip all variants with ABS-EBD-Airbags as standard. VW and Toyota have already done it. Amaze (Diesel) and City have ABS as standard from the lowermost variant, hope they follow the same with the Jazz.

I'm wondering what happens to the Magic seats, which was a feature exclusive to the last gen Jazz. Given the assumed absence of any other novel feature along with the magic seats, I wonder what's Jazz's USP when stacked up against the competition.

Just my thoughts:

Polo= Build, Ride & Interior Quality,Fast Diesel, Powerful GT variants.
i20= Gadget Guru with premium interiors & futuristic styling (I hate it!).
Swift= Maruti Reliability, Fun to Drive.
Punto= Fiat Styling, Vault like Build.
Liva= Toyota Reliability,low running cost and interior space.

Jazz= Ripping off customers with a huge price tag? (Could be a USP, right?)
govindremesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 11:57   #887
BHPian

Quote:
The shark fin antenna is there .. I am kind of lazy to go through the video once more but I am sure I saw it.
Sorry man. I was still not able to find the shark-fin antenna. Actually I guess I found the stub type antenna (the base of it). Pic Below - Experts can confirm.

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-jazz-antenna.png

Quote:
Also, if you notice the steering wheel, I don't see any controls for phone/bluetooth. That will be blasphemous in this age and segment. I hope I am wrong on this one.
In the City, the phone controls are a separate set of buttons below one of the steering spokes and in the video, none of the frames actually cover this portion. So we cannot be sure. But the steering we see in this ad is the one we get in 'S' variant of City (Jazz gets Silver garnish instead of black) - no leather wrap - no Cruise Control, etc.

Compared to the Jazz shown in Shanghai (Check image below. Courtesy: IAB) We miss out on the buttons (I am not sure what they are for Can some one help me understand) I have pointed out using arrows. Bluetooth telephony buttons were not shown in any of the frames, but we will need to wait for more images to come out.

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-jazz-steering.png

A couple of more things I was able to find out was - There are NO reverse parking sensors (Might be they will give Reverse camera and no sensors, like in City). But there is an integrated spoiler on the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
Honda should be including the ACC unit on the Jazz, else they're making a big mistake. Maybe they missed it in the ad since the feature is not segment first to be shown off in the promotion video
I too felt the same. But, if they are giving the touch-screen ACC, it is too good to be missed in the video. Moreover, there is not a single frame covering the AC controls area, giving me a fear that it might be manual AC only.

Quote:
Omission of phone controls, if true, will be a big mistake from Honda. They cannot justify missing essential features like ACC and Phone controls while positioning it as a premium hatch.
Totally agree. Will be a suicidal move especially with the pricing close to or a little over i20.

Quote:
Hope they equip all variants with ABS-EBD-Airbags as standard. VW and Toyota have already done it. Amaze (Diesel) and City have ABS as standard from the lowermost variant, hope they follow the same with the Jazz.
This I am sure they will. Especially with City they are giving ABS + EBD + Airbags in all variants (Only SV and above get dual airbags though). They followed a similar policy in the previous generation Jazz also.

Quote:
I'm wondering what happens to the Magic seats, which was a feature exclusive to the last gen Jazz. Given the assumed absence of any other novel feature along with the magic seats, I wonder what's Jazz's USP when stacked up against the competition.
I hope they retain the magic seats - that will be a very good USP, at least from the marketing perspective. Not sure how many have used it extensively in real life.

Quote:
Polo= Build, Ride & Interior Quality,Fast Diesel, Powerful GT variants.
i20= Gadget Guru with premium interiors & futuristic styling (I hate it!).
Swift= Maruti Reliability, Fun to Drive.
Punto= Fiat Styling, Vault like Build.
Liva= Toyota Reliability,low running cost and interior space.

Jazz= Ripping off customers with a huge price tag? (Could be a USP, right?)
Oh come on dude. We do not know the pricing of Jazz yet. Also, the feature list is again a speculation from the promo video. God know what will be added / removed in the real car. The USP for Jazz IMO will be Space + Flexibility + Wonderful Petrol + Practical diesel + Honda Reliability (??). Who knows, they might come up with an RS variant with 1.5 iVTEC (Im dreaming) for the power thirsty lot like me

Last edited by Vigkey : 7th May 2015 at 12:08. Reason: Merged two posts
Old 7th May 2015, 12:14   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
This could be the 5" non-touchscreen unit for the lower-specced Jazz variants (i.e., V or even VX). It resembles the HU of the City's V & VX variants (Forward/Reverse buttons under the Volume/Power button).

(Image taken from my ownership thread)
Attachment 1367758

IMO, the 6.2" touchscreen AVN unit might be reserved for the topmost variant of the Jazz - either the VX or the VX (O). The teaser might have BOTH of them teased, just to give an idea of the HUs available with the Jazz.
The official Honda website shows a newer unit for the City even for the V and VX.
Picture attached for reference. So what they have done is provided a new unit for the City and passed on the old one to Jazz. Still I believe the top is getting the 6.2" inch AVN and I will be happy with that.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-screen-shot-20150507-12.13.21.png  

akhil994 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 12:23   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I hope they retain the magic seats - that will be a very good USP, at least from the marketing perspective. Not sure how many have used it extensively in real life.
Precisely why the magic seats could be excluded. I had read once on the internet, that the magic seats were an expensive feature, and would be deleted keep the costs in check.

Quote:

Oh come on dude. We do not know the pricing of Jazz yet. Also, the feature list is again a speculation from the promo video. God know what will be added / removed in the real car.
Man, I was kidding there!

As far as pricing goes, It has to be in the i20's ballpark, else it would be uncomfortably close or even clash with the Brio, which I think is already overpriced for what it offers.

We'll wait and watch, Hope the car is out in the next few weeks.
Old 7th May 2015, 13:07   #890
Senior - BHPian

^^

I have used the magic seats many times for carrying plants and bicycles for myself as well as friends who couldn't fit those in their big cars

My guess is people who haven't used it might not find that useful but once you have it, you are more likely to use it.

Well, one more thing you guys might not be aware - The facelifted old gen Jazz was the first in segment to offer seat recline adjustment for the rear seats (though very minor)...I think it's a useful feature.
Old 7th May 2015, 13:23   #891
BHPian

In this market crowded with good premium hatchbacks, magic seats are arguably the Jazz's main and only USP.

That and cruise control if they do offer it.

Not having magic seats will be suicidal as they will loose most of the customers who have zeroed in on the Jazz and have been waiting to buy it for a couple of years.
Old 7th May 2015, 13:26   #892
BHPian

Since we have seen two types of Head Units in the same video, we can very well figure out that two different models were shown in the video and that makes me optimistic that the top model will get the push button start. We can just wait and watch. Honda is really playing with those of us who have been waiting.
Old 7th May 2015, 13:29   #893
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, one more thing you guys might not be aware - The facelifted old gen Jazz was the first in segment to offer seat recline adjustment for the rear seats (though very minor)
I think it was the Wagon R that came with the reclining rear seats first. Perhaps some one else could confirm.
Old 7th May 2015, 13:34   #894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Not having magic seats will be suicidal as they will loose most of the customers who have zeroed in on the Jazz and have been waiting to buy it for a couple of years.
If Magic seats available it would have been captured in the teaser. IMO, there will be no Magic seats for the Indian Jazz.
Old 7th May 2015, 13:37   #895
BHPian

A friend nishant5858 in the TAI forum had pointed out that the touch ACC was seen in one of the frames with Steering in the foreground. I have tried to capture that and put it here. It does look like a flat screen in the position where the ACC should be. So, looks like ACC is indeed there

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-jazz-acc.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
In this market crowded with good premium hatchbacks, magic seats are arguably the Jazz's main and only USP.

That and cruise control if they do offer it.

Cruise control will be more useful for highway commuters. Honda will project Jazz as a practical City car for the urban youth and young families. So Cruise Control will not be a major exclusion.

Magic seats again is a very useful and also a eye-catching headline grabbing feature. Not sure how many in the general public will be pulled in by that feature. Going by the fact that most of the cars sold do not have a 60:40 split, magic seats will not be a sales USP. It will be a marketing USP. All said, I personally would love to have the magic seats

The real factor that will pull in people is a Honda hatchback with Diesel - that too a super fuel-efficient diesel. That brings another question. Will Honda give the 6 speed gearbox from City to Jazz??

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Since we have seen two types of Head Units in the same video, we can very well figure out that two different models were shown in the video and that makes me optimistic that the top model will get the push button start. We can just wait and watch. Honda is really playing with those of us who have been waiting.
I dont see that happening mate. The video clearly shows the guy putting in the key and starting the car. If they had Start-Stop button, they will definitely not have wasted an opportunity to project that. Maybe in the RS version (if it comes), but not in the regular trims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
If Magic seats available it would have been captured in the teaser. IMO, there will be no Magic seats for the Indian Jazz.
Can we be that sure sir? They have not focused on the rear bench or the boot at all in this promo. Seeing the cost perspective and Zauba imports, even I believe you are correct. But I guess we will have to wait a bit more to confirm.

Last edited by Vigkey : 7th May 2015 at 13:40.
Old 7th May 2015, 13:42   #896
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The facelifted old gen Jazz was the first in segment to offer seat recline adjustment for the rear seats (though very minor)...I think it's a useful feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I think it was the Wagon R that came with the reclining rear seats first. Perhaps some one else could confirm.
Yes, the 4-seater Wagon R (with two individual rear seats) did indeed have the rear seat reclining feature.

While the Wagon R belongs to a segment lower, the Jazz still was not the first car in its segment to feature reclining rear seats.

The Getz featured reclining rear seats (3-step recline adjustment) in the segment before the Jazz. It's a pity that its successors (2 generations of i20) didn't get this feature:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  12.4 KB

Quote:
I have used the magic seats many times for carrying plants and bicycles for myself as well as friends who couldn't fit those in their big cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The magic seats are indeed a very practical feature to liberate space and flexibility. They made the previous Jazz the most practical car in its segment. It would be silly of Honda to omit this feature in the new Jazz.

Last edited by RSR : 7th May 2015 at 14:00.
Old 7th May 2015, 13:50   #897
BHPian

Quote:
I dont see that happening mate. The video clearly shows the guy putting in the key and starting the car. If they had Start-Stop button, they will definitely not have wasted an opportunity to project that. Maybe in the RS version (if it comes), but not in the regular trims.
I agree that they have shown the guy using the key to start, but factor this, as you say your friend spotted the ACC, that was more due to him being sharp than anything. Honda did not showcase that too. So in a way, anything is possible. That said I'm bracing myself to be disappointed but having a little wishful thinking won't harm now would it?
Old 7th May 2015, 14:21   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
I agree that they have shown the guy using the key to start, but factor this, as you say your friend spotted the ACC, that was more due to him being sharp than anything. Honda did not showcase that too. So in a way, anything is possible. That said I'm bracing myself to be disappointed but having a little wishful thinking won't harm now would it?
Hahaha. No harm buddy, especially since you have braced yourself to be disappointed.

Why I said it is highly improbable is - They did not show the ACC at all - probably they missed it(??) But my point with respect to the key-less entry and go is, they showed the guy cranking the engine with a key and if they had the Start-Stop button, they would not have missed to show the button being used - since that is more cool and modern.

Now, all said, how can we be so sure that the Auto box is given in the Top-end only?? What if they give Auto box in V trim and the manuals have a VX trim with more features?? Speculations - What ifs - lets all speculate till Honda opens up the box

Last edited by Vigkey : 7th May 2015 at 14:22.
Old 7th May 2015, 14:26   #899
BHPian

I don't think it is possible for HCIL to price it this low and maintain the major bells and whistles. As mentioned earlier it will most probably be placed between the City & Amaze with the top end Jazz costing more than the base version of the City. It should be comparable to the Elite I20 price IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
As far as pricing of petrol variants is concerned, it could be 5.25 - 7 lacs with 7 lacs for AT. Diesel could be a lac more for each variant.
Old 7th May 2015, 14:55   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Now, all said, how can we be so sure that the Auto box is given in the Top-end only?? What if they give Auto box in V trim and the manuals have a VX trim with more features??
Absolutely. The city SV gets an Auto box, and I don't see why a lower trim of Jazz would not get it. In fact, it would be a big selling point of this car, since no other Hatch in the category has a well priced -mid trim-Automatic variant (at least in my knowledge)

Honda has learnt its mistakes. The City, which comes loaded with features, proves it. It won't make a mistake with the all important Jazz!

Folks, remember that the video is just a preview and not the official advertisement. It's just to build the excitement and unlike a proper advertisement, all the features will NOT be showcased.

The following is just my view of on some of the features that may or may not come in Jazz:

1. Automatic Climate Control (ACC) : Will be available. Will help in parts sharing with its sedan brother, the City thus lowering the component and hence the production costs for both the cars.

2. Cruise Control : May not be available. Very few roads in India where one can use this feature. Has some snob value in a sedan, not in a practical hatch. Honda saves some money here.

3. Sunroof: May not be available. Not suited for our conditions. Honda will save some money here.

4. Keyless entry and go: Could be available. The dashboard layout may be shared with the City and thus it won't be too costly to have this. Hyundai, Maruti and Nissan offer it in their cars in this segment, so a very high probability of making it to the Jazz.

5. Magic seats: Low possibility of being included. I had read somewhere that Honda wont offer it in this gen of Jazz to keep costs in check.

6.In car entertainment: Expect the same setup hierarchy as in the City. 8 speakers and a choice of 2 or 3 head units as per the variant.

7. Rear wash-wipe: Fire the product planning department if they miss this one!
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread