Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2015, 16:46   #946
BHPian

Enquired about the bookings from Infinity Honda near my place of residence. Bookings for Honda Jazz will commence only from 15th of June.
akhil994 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 17:46   #947
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

Some speculation on the pricing front.

For comparison (ex-showroom prices, Delhi) -

Honda Amaze - petrol - 5.18 to 7.32 (manual transmission)
Hyundai Elite I20 - petrol - 5.32 to 6.93
Hyundai Xcent - petrol - 5.01 to 6.90 (manual transmission)

Honda Amaze - petrol - 6.20 to 8.21
Hyundai Elite I20 - petrol - 6.41 to 8.05
Hyundai Xcent - diesel - 5.86 to 7.79

I have 2 arguments -

First, the Jazz is much better and feels more premium to the Amaze in every aspect. So, it's obvious that it will cost Honda much more to make the Jazz than Amaze. So, a premium over the Amaze is definitely justified. Now, whether the Amaze itself is overpriced is a different topic altogether.

2nd, The EliteI20 is a huge success. Even though it is priced slightly higher than the 'sedan' Xcent from the same company, it still outsells the Xcent by a huge margin. So, this indicates the market has matured and people are willing to pay higher prices for a hatchback provided they see value in the offering. So, this will definitely be a shot in the arm for Honda w.r.t pricing the Jazz.

From whatever I have seen, it seems that the Jazz will have decent feature set and a feeling of premium quality for the segment (though Honda has resorted to some obvious cost cutting) and Honda is going to position it as a truly premium hatchback. It might miss a few features which the Elite I20 have but then the I20 also misses simple things like an instant FE,DTE or a touchscreen HU with navigation etc.

I feel Jazz is going to have a starting price of 5.49 lakhs for the base petrol variant which will be fine if the base variant is decently loaded. Honda might undercut the Elite I20 by a tiny margin but in that case, the base variant will be bare bones. In any which way I think, I can't see Honda pricing the Jazz below or similar to the Amaze.

Will it sell at the speculated price? I think it will provided the the feature set and quality offered is good.
Also, one advantage of the Jazz over all other competitors is the space on offer (passenger space + boot space) and versatility with magic seats. Plus, I think the Honda brand in India enjoys a good reputation and their reliability is considered as second to none. So, the slight premium to the Elite I20 could be acceptable.

Last edited by adimicra : 13th May 2015 at 17:51.
Old 13th May 2015, 18:33   #948
BHPian

Also got a call back from the sales rep, and enquired about the tentative pricing, they say what information they have got is that the Petrol top model , manual will cost around 8.52 on road, which is high from what I think. But since it is tentative so I'm hopeful. I think he also might have been confused with the CVT model. Since he sounded a very confused chap.
Initially the sales rep said 8.50 ex-showroom , but when I told him to double check as it was next to impossible, that too for a petrol, he confirmed 8.52 on road.

Also, he says that I can get the booking done now, but it will be done on brio, with a note that I need it for Jazz. And they have a waiting of 2 months from Honda's end .
He already has 4 bookings. But I feel that him asking for booking right now is just a way to earn interest. Although he did guarantee me a car from the first batch that they receive if I book right now against brio.

Last edited by akhil994 : 13th May 2015 at 18:49. Reason: Adding information
Old 13th May 2015, 18:44   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Honda Amaze - petrol - 6.20 to 8.21
Hyundai Elite I20 - petrol - 6.41 to 8.05
You mean diesel, right ?

Speculating on Honda's pricing strategy is tough. They have an uncanny ability to over-price their cars. Brio, Amaze, Mobilio, the list just never ends. I wish they learn from their previous gaffe and have a bit more sense this time around with the Jazz.

P.S. - I am one of the people here waiting for car to launch, and have already delayed my purchase for 4 months now.
Old 13th May 2015, 19:13   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
information they have got is that the Petrol top model , manual will cost around 8.52 on road, which is high from what I think. But since it is tentative so I'm hopeful. I think he also might have been confused with the CVT model.
Hey Akhil, 8.5 on-road for top-end manual Petrol Jazz is high IMO. I seriously hope he confused it with the CVT version or he is just trying to give random figures. Assuming he is correct, the top-end diesel Jazz will be too close to 10 lakhs, which is unacceptable.

According to me, Price of Jazz should be between Amaze and City and around 15-20k plus or minus i20 prices. All prices ex-Delhi

Petrol
Amaze - 5.2 to 7.3 lakhs
Elite i20 - 5.3 to 6.9 lakhs
City - 7.5 to 10.6 lakhs

Diesel
Amaze - 6.2 to 8.2 lakhs
Elite i20 - 6.4 to 8 lakhs
City - 8.7 to 11.8 lakhs

Going by this, my pricing for Jazz will be 5.5 to 7.2 for Petrol and 6.5 to 8.2 for diesel ex-showroom Delhi.

By the way, will 7.2 lakhs ex-showroom translate to 8.5 on-road?? I am not sure (My car was a pre-owned one and I am not exactly sure of this ex-showroom to On-road additions). Experts please comment.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 19:41   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Hey Akhil, 8.5 on-road for top-end manual Petrol Jazz is high IMO. I seriously hope he confused it with the CVT version or he is just trying to give random figures. Assuming he is correct, the top-end diesel Jazz will be too close to 10 lakhs, which is unacceptable.
I am just looking at i20 Diesel Asta prices in Bangalore (www.tridenthyundai.com) and they come in at just over 10L (8.2 ex showroom). So the price you are quoting of 8.2 would be very close to i20 Blr prices..I am not sure Honda will price the Jazz at a discount to the i20. They'll want to put a premium on the H badge. Though I would be very happy at that price point!

If it leads to cannibalisation with the City, I think Honda will be happy with that, since the sale ultimately will be within the same brand and not cross over to competition.

Last edited by prashanthyr : 13th May 2015 at 19:44.
Old 13th May 2015, 19:41   #952
BHPian

Quote:
I reckon the same. i20 Sportz(O) Diesel is 8.3 on-road with the top being like 8.5.

If the salesperson is correct ( which I'm sure he is not) the price of manual top end petrol on-road will be equal to i20 diesel. Factor the cvt will cross 9 lakh on road and this is in NCR. In places like bangalore , Jazz diesel will cross 10 lakh on road easily. And that is absurd. Hence I took his information with a pinch of salt.

The petrol top end should be around 6.75, which is ~30k more than i20. At the most it can be 6.9, not more than that.

As far as translating Ex-Showroom to On-Road, from what I know, in this segment registration amount in Delhi is 7% in the 6-10 lakh bracket for petrol and 8.75% for diesel. In Gurgaon it is 6% irrespective of fuel type.

Add insurance and some freebies etc and you can add ~70k over the Ex-showroom.
Old 13th May 2015, 19:45   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I am just looking at i20 Diesel Asta prices in Bangalore and they come in at just over 10L (8.2 ex showroom). So the price you are quoting of 8.2 would be very close to i20 Blr prices..I am not sure Honda will price the Jazz at a discount to the i20. They'll want to put a premium on the H badge.
Prashanth, as I mentioned in my post, I am not entirely sure of how much addition will happen from ex-showroom to on-road. But Since this is Bangalore, the taxes are quite high and the ex-showroom is also higher compared to Dlehi. All prices, comparison and quotes were regarding Delhi. I guess on-road there will be around 30-40 difference between these two cities.

I repeat, till the difference between Jazz and i20 is around 15-20k, there should not be much of a problem for either brands. Anything more should worry Honda and anything less could worry Hyundai.

Last edited by Vigkey : 13th May 2015 at 19:47.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 20:07   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Prashanth, as I mentioned in my post, I am not entirely sure of how much addition will happen from ex-showroom to on-road. But Since this is Bangalore, the taxes are quite high and the ex-showroom is also higher compared to Dlehi. All prices, comparison and quotes were regarding Delhi. I guess on-road there will be around 30-40 difference between these two cities.

I repeat, till the difference between Jazz and i20 is around 15-20k, there should not be much of a problem for either brands. Anything more should worry Honda and anything less could worry Hyundai.
Yes, I think we are in agreement for the most part except for the premium each of us think Honda can charge. You are saying 15-20 and I am saying 50K

Now, let's wait and hope Honda doesn't disappoint!
prashanthyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 22:45   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
Yes, I think we are in agreement for the most part except for the premium each of us think Honda can charge. You are saying 15-20 and I am saying 50K
I agree with both of you.

But may i hope, and not expect, that Honda would price the Jazz along the lines of the City which is priced almost equal or even lower on some variants than the Verna?

Yeldo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 23:13   #956
BHPian

Honda has started their digital campaign as well. Came across following Ad online. Interestingly Honda Jazz video on YouTube has already garnered over 230,000 views that too in just 1 week.
Attached Images

Old 14th May 2015, 01:20   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
I agree with both of you.

But may i hope, and not expect, that Honda would price the Jazz along the lines of the City which is priced almost equal or even lower on some variants than the Verna?

Honda can no longer afford to depend only upon the name that once brought in the moolah. The Indian consumer has matured past that and proved it before with the City, Brio and the Mobilio.
I do think they are setting themselves up for failure if they price the Jazz above the current segment leader Elite i20. It has to be lower or equal to dent the ~12K month on month sales that Elite i20 is seeing. My prediction for the Petrol:
Top variant with CVT: 7.6L
Top variant with manual: 6.8L
ashua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 04:26   #958
BANNED

Quote:

Going by this, my pricing for Jazz will be 5.5 to 7.2 for Petrol and 6.5 to 8.2 for diesel ex-showroom Delhi.
I hope this is correct and a 5.5 L starting price is sure to make this car a blockbuster hit. I personally feel this car will start at 5.99 L for the base variant but if the base variant has airbags and abs as standard (like the old jazz) then also this pricing might be justified. At 5.99 I expect both i20 and jazz to sell well but if its 5.49 then the i20 might be in a spot of bother provided Honda can ensure sufficient supply. Petrol cars in Delhi are only taxed 4% for ex showroom price lower than 6L. If we get safety features at that price it would make it a sweet deal.
Old 14th May 2015, 06:36   #959
BHPian

Thumbs up re: The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

Per this Economic times article Jazz is going to be launched on July 8th.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/47274704.cms

Honda Cars India will launch the much-awaited third-generation premium hatchback Jazz in India on July 8, people familiar with the matter told ETAuto. The carmaker has already started adjusting production schedule to accommodate the model. ETAuto had reported in December that the carmaker would bring back the Jazz in July.

Jazz will take on the popular Hyundai i20, which has been selling around 10,000 units a month and has a long waiting period. The car will come with both diesel and petrol engine options - it will carry the same 1.5 litre i-DTEC and 1.litre i-VTEC engines fitted in Honda's compact Amaze sedan.

"Stockyard in Greater Noida having a capacity of 5,500 units is packed with Mobilio and Amaze as there is a slide in demand for these ..Some of these cars have also been shifted to Tapukara plant," a company source told ETAuto. The source said at least 7,000-8,000 units of the two car models were lying at both the plants.

"This is an exercise to create production capacity for the upcoming model Jazz and also compensate summer production shutdown coming up this month," said Jnaneswar Sen, senior vice president for sales and marketing at Honda Cars India.
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 11:38   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I hope this is correct and a 5.5 L starting price is sure to make this car a blockbuster hit. I personally feel this car will start at 5.99 L for the base variant but if the base variant has airbags and abs as standard (like the old jazz) then also this pricing might be justified. At 5.99 I expect both i20 and jazz to sell well but if its 5.49 then the i20 might be in a spot of bother provided Honda can ensure sufficient supply. Petrol cars in Delhi are only taxed 4% for ex showroom price lower than 6L. If we get safety features at that price it would make it a sweet deal.
I think what you have mentioned is too high. At 5.99 it will be ~1.10 lakh more than the elite which starts at 4.89 and whatever jazz has, it does not warrant that much of a premium over the elite i20.
akhil994 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread