Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 26th August 2014, 16:39   #601
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.8

One noob question - in terms of features, is there anything important missing in the Elite I20 compared to the next segment like a City or a Verna?
I can certainly see a few extra features like the electrochromic IVRM and the advanced parking assist etc.

I saw a white one today and it looked smashing. On top of that, it appears that Hyundai has improved the ride and handling significantly (though not the best in the segment but does not seem to be a deal breaker).
This car looks like a winner and it will do well in the urban centres for sure.
You have to really give it to Hyundai for making their cars so feature rich and still being competitive in pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Took a very short TD of the Elite i20 Asta CRDi (top end) and I am impressed.

That steering is the single fly in the ointment for Elite i20. I could NOT convince myself on owning the car because of that. Else, this would have been a good upgrade from my Swift D.
I feel the new Honda Jazz will be a serious competitor to the Elite I20 and it might suit your requirements if you are looking for a premium hatch I expect the pricing to be at par with the I20, may be 10-20K higher at max.

Last edited by adimicra : 26th August 2014 at 16:41.
Old 26th August 2014, 17:14   #602
BHPian

Default Re: SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.8

Guys I have booked passion red petrol Sports model.
Do I have to pay the logistics charges 6990 ?
Old 26th August 2014, 17:30   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
What is charged under the garb of "logistics charges" by dealerships in India is nothing but a way to make money.
Always remember that the actual "logistic & transportation charges" are factored in by the manufacturer from factory to dealer's city and is ALWAYS included in the ex-showroom price.

The dealer will tell you a lot of sob stories saying that he has to "bring the car from the stockyard to the showroom" , "take it to RTO for registration" etc and hence will weakly try to justify the Rsxxxx he is fobbing you off. It is the responsibility of every dealer to get a vehicle registered for its rightful customer - either a temporary or a permanent registration and he cannot charge more than the government stipulated charges.

Unfortunately in India this is quite a racket and since everyone gets much excited at the time of new vehicle purchase, no one does an autopsy into these aspects and unquestioningly pays up.

Another area you will find you are being charged excess will possibly be in the area of registration charges. The actual amount on the road tax token counterfoil, which you will get from the State Registration department, will have Rs xxxxx + a minor 700-900 odd rupees for number plate etc.
If you total it up and check against what your dealer has charged you, the charges will be much greater than the sum of Rs xxxxx + 700-900.
This is again a money making avenue by the dealer.

Same with insurance. Take a quote on your own based on the ex-showroom price of your vehicle for an insurance company and watch the difference in the insurance premium amount quoted!

Sadly, none of the OEM's till date in India have discouraged these practices by their dealerships. Every OEM knows exactly what and how much the dealer fobs off over and above the dealer commission paid by the OEM to dealer, but they choose to remain mum.

Forget 2G - if this scam can be computed with retrospective effect across the country for all vehicle segments going back over the last 15 years or so, the amount will be simply staggering !!

an example of typical vehicle pricing in India
Attached Images

Last edited by arjab : 26th August 2014 at 18:00.
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 17:43   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Legally, no. Practically..well, it's a mess. Depending on demand. For older cars you can get this waived off. When I booked my elite i20, dealer simply refused to take the booking. They will give 100 different reasons, simple fact is, it's illegal. But legal, illegal and morality are very relative ideas in our country.

And it's not as if RTOs don't know about it. But then bureaucracy has rarely done anything in India unless prodded by Judiciary. If you have time and energy, you can fight this legally but then we all know where that goes.

FYI, supreme court has 'told' dealers not to charge this.
Old 26th August 2014, 17:50   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You will be made to. Handling charges is nothing but bribe to the RTO. For an old model, you can negotiate it to be waived off, NOT for a new one!
Old 26th August 2014, 18:03   #606
BHPian

Thank you for the replies.
I guess I have to bear the logistics charges.
Insurance I am definitely getting from the outside.
Could somebody tell me the what are the RTO charges for New Delhi Registration ?

Last edited by scarlet.fever : 26th August 2014 at 18:11.
Old 26th August 2014, 19:07   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
One noob question - in terms of features, is there anything important missing in the Elite I20 compared to the next segment like a City or a Verna?
Cruise control.

Might be available on facelifted Swift (going by rumors) and on the Jazz (since it is available on the City).
chncar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 20:02   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The turning radius is 5.2 meters.
Now that's a significant difference between the Grand i10/ Xcent and the i20. The smaller siblings have a small turning radius of 4.7m

Another reason I'm glad we didn't wait for the new i20 cause at 5.2m, it would never have made the U-Turn inside our lane. My Punto struggles with its 5m radius, while Xcent easily manages it at 4.7m!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 07:43   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

Took the new i20 Asta Diesel for a short spin. Very impressive package.

I couldn't go beyond third gear. The car rides well, the suspension is not soft and it stays very composed over broken roads. The steering is light at the speeds I drove, but its no longer vague. A bit like Polo' unit. No idea how it will be on the highway. The NVH very impressive as always. And the gear shifts very positive with a short throw.

The car is wide and the cabin space is impressive on the inside. The interior feels great, the only thing spoiling it is the light colored plastic on the edge of the dash. I felt, a different shade of black there would have made the cabin look amazing. The MID is superb. It feels like a car from a higher segment when one is behind the wheel. One sits low inside the window line is high. I like that in a car, gives a very reassuring feel.

I still don't like the way it looks from the front but my colleague loved it. The side profile is stunning with that long hood, narrow window line, longer wheelbase and gorgeous 16" wheels. The long taillight is the highlight when its a little dark. Looks good with the park on.

The Asta Diesel is 8.8L OTR here in Kochi and there is a one month waiting period.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 08:01   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You will be made to. Handling charges is nothing but bribe to the RTO. For an old model, you can negotiate it to be waived off, NOT for a new one!
I doubt they go as bribe to the RTO. Even if you decide to get the car registered yourself, the dealer will still charge the logistics. It just goes in the dealer's pocket.

Quote:
Could somebody tell me the what are the RTO charges for New Delhi Registration ?
If I am not wrong then it is 12% in Delhi. Gurgaon is slightly lesser at 10%
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 08:14   #611
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

If I am not wrong then it is 12% in Delhi. Gurgaon is slightly lesser at 10%
RTO charges are 8% for cars below 10L rupees. There is a parking charge applied separately though. Below 6L the charges are only 4% and so variants up to the petrol sportz get this benefit.
ToyotaFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 10:34   #612
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The turning radius is 5.2 meters.
So this remains unchanged from the outgoing i-gen i20. The very light steering and (relatively) fewer turns lock-to-lock don't make it feel like 5.2 m in general usage, but it is indeed on the higher side for a sub-4 m car. This can be felt while taking a tight U-turn on a narrow road with a divider in the middle.

I was hoping the turning radius of the Elite i20 was somehow brought down to 5 m, but it is not to be. Considering that the car has grown in width (presumably the front & rear track too) and wheelbase, maintaining the same turning radius is okay. One only needs to keep the number in mind and adjust accordingly (i.e. move a bit to the left) before taking tight U-turns.

Last edited by RSR : 27th August 2014 at 10:36.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 11:31   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Cruise control.
Fuel consumption information (Instantaneous, Average, Distance to Empty).
Old 27th August 2014, 11:44   #614
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can certainly see a few extra features like the electrochromic IVRM and the advanced parking assist etc.
Electrochromic inner rear view mirror with rear camera display is there on the Verna, may be not the steering adaptive parking assist.

In addition to the features mentioned by other members, there is the rear arm-rest with cup holders. You get 60:40 split folding rear seats instead. Both could have been provided easily. Then you have safety features like 6 airbags & rear disc brakes, and a sunroof (although the outgoing i20 too had them as options).

The Elite i20 also does not have an automatic option, as of now at least.

Last edited by RSR : 27th August 2014 at 11:49.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 14:12   #615
BHPian

Got my VIN allotted for Elite i20 Asta Diesel. Thanks RSR for decoding it.

I am opting for insurance outside. The car delivery date is 5th Sep. Please suggest good insurance company (mainly tied up with Hyundai service). How can I approach insurance company and get it? And how to get it inline with dealer when RTO formalities are done by them?
vijayk is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread