Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th July 2013, 22:25   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)

Knowing how stingy TML has been with its facelifts, the least it could do is add some color to its Nano offering which has performed way below its true potential. This is a perfect car for our infrastructure, but has zero appeal. While running along the MTV campaigns the least they could do is provide the Nano in funky colors to attract first time buyers/youth.

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-nano.jpg

With little investment, this could at least generate some buzz/interest and help attract new clientele.
sachinayak is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 06:34   #137
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE : The meeting is about a week or two from now, maybe around 20th. I've been offered a factory visit too, so 1 day will be exclusively for the Pune factory visit and the next half day will be the meet.

MoralFibre has already given us quite a perspective, so if there's something I must particularly look out for, just let me know.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 09:44   #138
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
UPDATE : The meeting is about a week or two from now, maybe around 20th. I've been offered a factory visit too, so 1 day will be exclusively for the Pune factory visit and the next half day will be the meet.

MoralFibre has already given us quite a perspective, so if there's something I must particularly look out for, just let me know.
Carry a DSLR with you. Beg, borrow or steal one if you don't have one and spend a whole day going through photography tutorials if you aren't already familiar with it. PM MoralFibre and find out what all he missed snapping. Go through his thread a couple of times to be doubly sure. We are hungry for quality high-res photographs.

EDIT: And even if you don't get a chance to take photos, please do not miss a chance to walk the man through this thread.

Last edited by MHG : 11th July 2013 at 09:45.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 11:34   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Carry a DSLR with you. Beg, borrow or steal one if you don't have one and spend a whole day going through photography
I believe Photography is not allowed inside the plant!
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 12:33   #140
Senior - BHPian

Hi Grammernazi congratulations and sorry for late input I hope it is still in time.

Since you asked for wishlist here is mine , specifically for a Safari.

1. Third row seat with seat belts
Stop calling exisiting jump seats as child seat no one wants to put his / her child in danger.
Look at Innova / Fortuner 3ed seat and check how both the requirements of storange space and 3ed seat are fulfilled.

2. Flat folding 2nd row seats in Safari just like what honda Jazz had

3. Safari is your best looking vehicle and perhaps the only existing product which has cult following but you are not paying enough attention to it.

It's bulbus dashboard is big disappointment. You have lots of inner real estate that does not mean it can be wasted.

(a) reduce the bulbous protrusion inside to minimal and free up the space.

(b) A proper double DIN MID , Whatever you have given in storme explorer edition does not cut ice.

(c) Improve servicability : Why the AC coil is behind dashboard and needs dismantling for cleaning ? You could have easily placed near to glove box
or nearer to huge removable panel behind console in front passenger side.

4. Improve quality of small but significant parts listed below.

(a) Fastners on all the hoses in engine bay should be clamps with nut and bolt rather then pressed clips , Reliability of your vehicle will go 200% due to this small change which does not cost more then 200Rs.

(b) Front and rear suspension bush : Again improve the rubber bush quality.
May be give extra taflon bush kit for demanding customers just like you are selling GC hike kit in Italian market.

(c) All your seat hinges are based on metal bolt and nuts , putting a hard rubber or taflon sleeve will reduce the rattle, Similarly nuts used to fasten
seatbelts (inside plastic cover) should have rubber washers and locktight from factory.
Contrary to popular belief what rattles are the seats once nuts are little loose and not plastics.

(d) Improve quality of window glass beading , Why glass of half open window should rattle . I see your plant has a tourcer test path , do you have any test for driving safari with glass half open on it ?

5. Reclinable 2nd row seats , In TCIC safari atleast the 40% split of 60:40 rear bench was reclinable but in Safari Dicor and Storme the rear bench does not recline at all.

6. Raise the bar :
ABS on all models of storme is a good start but I would expect ABS + ESP on all varients. Top model should have 6 airbags at same price point.

An LX variant with 4X4 , Please do not restrict 4X4 to VX.

7. Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT mentions LSD as option in 2WD but this was never sold. Can't you offer some optional packs where customers can opt for LSD ?

8. More daughter parts rather then full assembly should be sold

Example: Why a customer need to pay for full electrically adjustible OVRM when just the mirror breaks ?

9. More independent autorized service garages apart from dealers A.S.S.
You can run a training program for mechanics / ITI for specializing in tata vehicle and incentivize exisitng independent garages to become T.A.S.S.
amitk26 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 13:56   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
(a) Fastners on all the hoses in engine bay should be clamps with nut and bolt rather then pressed clips , Reliability of your vehicle will go 200% due to this small change which does not cost more then 200Rs.
Would like to know more about this, please explain
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 15:06   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Would like to know more about this, please explain
See the picture below here power steeriing hose has slow leak. This is due to
the press type hose clip rather then a clamp fastned with nut and bolt.
The clamp with nut and bolt costs just 7 rupees in retail at T.A.S.S after I got it replaced there is no leak in last 3 years.

It is not just tata but most cars today have fluid hoses running from radiator , clutch fluid reservoir and many places secured by press clip.
I think manufacturers need to pay attnetion to these small but significant things.

On a related note Safari engine bay is huge but still the placement is not done
to ease the service and reduce time.

Example: battery is placed too close to left front headlight lid , So if you need to replace the head lamp you need extreamly small and deft hands. A good technicion needs 15-20 mts to do a 1 min. job.

In a factory setting lamps are fitted first and probably battery is secured last so it may not matter much.

amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 07:46   #143
Senior - BHPian

The meet was postponed to August. I'm still to gather all the suggestions & make a proper file(soft copy). An incident I'd like to share : Happened to meet a non-member who had some amazing suggestions. So decided to make a separate E-Mail I.D. for any reader who wants to make suggestions.

The E-Mail I.D. is : <b>tata.ideator@gmail.com</b>

Rgds,
GN
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 23:44   #144
BHPian

What is TATA Know for ?
It is a Truck company , making big truck and now ACE.
Biggest sucess was Indica when it was launched . Again TML messed up Indica bookig VS delivery similar to Nano .
When there was no competition for Indica , people had no concerns , but when maruti and other came in to the Diesel segment, then TATA lost its image .
More it became a TAXI vehicle ( Indica and Sumo) . So slowly personal use customers drifted away from TATA.
Need to mention that QUality was always a back seator for TATA.
Infact the First to take advantage of the 4 mt policy was TATA - Indigo CS. I think TATA lead the Diesel small car market in India and now it has lost the ground .....hope this gives the best clue for TATA to improve.

Also Safari ...... i have seen most of them say it is always a white elephant ,as the cost of repairs etc is high . Engine and Tranaxle failure etc are High . Suspensions and seeting overhauling also are more.

So TATA has to make a complete image makeover with their next products . GIving a fully loaded vehicle with all the Gizmos at low cost is no more a strategy to sell in volume .

TATAs Quality image make the resale value of any of their product very bad . Mahindras have put lot of effort and they have convinced Indian Market that they have improved a lot in the Quality front . You can see now all Mahindras enjoy a high resale value .
AUTO_CRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:48   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Guys, I think he was invited to talk about a new car and not to teach/advice Karl how to run Tata motors? Sorry to be blunt, but that is what we are telling the OP to do when he meets Karl in person.
In my opinion, we should tell them what we would like to have in a new car. Similar to what we told to M&M for Thar? Please?
Quality in the next car. I think they do not lack ideas, there were many ideas originated from 'Nano story'.

I think it is a battle for survival. Indians are obsessed with fuel economy and price, however they do not just buy anything that comes cheap.
DieselDelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 13:58   #146
BHPian

I have just one suggestion

1- Decrease weight of cars (you dont only have to use more steel etc which bumps up the cost) but the car also eats up tyres more frequently. Decrease Weight = Cost Saving. Now use that cost savings to get rid of the boxy shapes of the Manza etc and come up with cars which are relatively curvy to look at (I am not saying that they need to go to the extent of the Fluidic's curves, but to the Accent/Lancer/Corolla cars. Elegance)

Same problem with the Logan/Verito. Boxy hatch's, sedan's and SUV's just doesnt sell in India- only exception being MUV's (Tavera, Qualis, Bolero, Sumo etc).
rahul4321 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 00:57   #147
Senior - BHPian

Hey Everyone! Update : The Meet is supposed to happen this month and they're finalising the dates.

E-Mail still open : tata.ideator@gmail.com

-Rgds
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 09:32   #148
Senior - BHPian

Everyone just stop whatever you're doing and look at this thread!

So, although in the last leg of drafting the proposal, I sought opinions/suggestions from T-BHP readers and amongst ALOT of amazing suggestions, there's there was this presentation from a guy called Deva that really impressed! He said its just a simplified rough draft & he's going to work on a detailed version over the weekend.

Mods : Please help, theres a .pptx file, how do I attach it?

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image1906419316.jpg

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image265437011.jpg

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image766805808.jpg

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image2988031159.jpg

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image4045916898.jpg

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image3985931110.jpg

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image603577392.jpg

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image874060945.jpg

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image3561785152.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image3401403942.jpg  

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image783815424.jpg  

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image342408320.jpg  

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image153088559.jpg  

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image3959254189.jpg  

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image2483669394.jpg  

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image2465906561.jpg  

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image3876184868.jpg  

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image2917716364.jpg  

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image2669698845.jpg  

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image3113944538.jpg  

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image571943081.jpg  

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image395451442.jpg  

Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-image3143597944.jpg  

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 8th August 2013 at 09:52.
GrammarNazi is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 10:37   #149
Senior - BHPian

Pretty good effort overall, and pretty much exactly what I would have though up for Tata. Though a few things I disagree with are:

1. 4.4m SUV/MPV should be based in a different platform, one which can span UVs beyond the 4.2m length. These could be powered by larger 4-cyl 2L petrol and diesel engines which may be common with the diesel and petrol engines being developed by JLR. The larger platform may include an MPV, a Crossover and an SUV.

2. The Compact platform should be used to develop a mini-MPV instead keeping around the 4.2m length instead. This mini-MPV could come with option of either 5 or 7 seats. These could continue to be powered by the smaller petrol/diesel engines.

3. 6-speed gearboxes is just not necessary for such small engines. It makes for excessive gear changes, rather than providing any real advantages.

4. Development of 4-speed and 6-speed Automatic gearboxes, suitable to be mated to pretty much all cars is also necessary.

5. Trying to buy into the Jaguar and Land Rover brand images for any Tata branded vehicles should be avoided. Technical help or even technology sharing is not a problem. But anything that could possibly dilute JLR is a complete no-no This is more for safeguarding the high value Jaguar and Land Rover brands, which sell a lot of vehicles world wide and generate very high margins for Tata Motors. Lets not forget, no matter how well Tata branded vehicles do, they will still be subordinate to JLR in terms of financial value to Tata Motors Limited. JLR will continue to earn half of TML's revenue and more than half of its profits for at least the next few decades.

Another important factor for Tata I feel is how to continue its a strong position in the taxi market, and even strengthen it further while not letting it impact the private car sales. Some steps towards that may be:

1. Various products specific for the taxi market need to be developed keeping in mind the specific needs of the market. Products could be based on the above platforms, but need to be easily distinguishable from products meant for private buyers.

2. Taxi variants of the 3.7m hatch, 4m sedan, 4.2m mini-MPV, 4.6m MPV may be developed.

3. Taxi variants could be sold through separate dealerships. To keep these dealerships profitable, these could be shared with CV dealerships selling Ace family, Winger, Venture, future quadricylces etc

Along with new products, Tata also have to look into their manufacturing practices so as to improve product reliability as well as build quality. And we cant obviously forget, the sales and service experience also needs to be looked into.

Other than this, in my view the bigger challenge for Tata Motors is regarding its short term future. Bringing such a product portfolio into the market can take quite some time. Keeping the sales ringing till then with continuous facelifts of its present range is going to be quite a challenge.

Last edited by julupani : 8th August 2013 at 10:51.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 10:41   #150
Senior - BHPian

One more addition to my wishlist apart from previous ones for Safari

Give a facelift to Aria with the following

1. Aggressive lower grill and front fascia befitting a true blue SUV and something which must not have any resemblance to vista / indica.

2. Broad tail lights covering some portion of rear door instead of tall nano/indica like tail lights.

3. A graphite black smooth plastic cladding all around similar to old CRV
and not light grey plastic cladding like Safari LX.

4. A 4X4 version with 4H/4L /2L gear ratio choice since Aria has central differential it can be a rival to Mitsubishi super-select system and Aria will again be VFM proposition rather then an overpriced crossover.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote