Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th August 2013, 10:08   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)

There is a product by a Pune based supplier Co. called 'Revolo' , http://revolo.kpitcummins.com/ , wherein they provide a retro-fit solution to convert a normal vehicle to Hybrid one. The cost of conversion is Rs70K or so.

Why not TATA Motors come out with such low cost hybrid solutions for their small cars ?
ramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 10:20   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
If I may suggest, please ask Karl if there is a possibility of branding their passenger cars with a different name. I think Tata has got etched as an inferior brand name in most people's minds.

The important thing is - what should Tata call itself?

My suggestion is - Instead come out with a different brand for current vehicles , and have TATA brand only for new development hi-tech premium vehicles
ramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 13:18   #168
BHPian

I really feel A Mini Aria will do wonders to the TML's dwindling fortunes.
It should sport following macro features :

1)7 seater like an Ertiga (should not be too difficult with existing platform)
2)Same DICOR engine (may be a detuned version but still around 114-120 PS).
But surely not the 90ps Quadrajet. to give it an edge over the likes of Ertigas, Eco sports & dusters. The drivability will be excellent in the detuned version of the engine. The aam junta might simply like it once there are good reviews initially.
3)Lighter body weight(2000+kgs seriously illefects feul economy and performance)
4)16" RIMS with at least 215 mm or 225mm wide tires to make it a very good highway vehicle and planted look and feel.
5)Not brand it in the name of Aria (allthough it can look similar)
6)Price it in the range of 7.6-9.9 lacs (entry level to top end models)
7)Give it a decent list of gizmos(no need of a long list if they cant)

Should surely sell in good numbers. Dicor engine will give it an edge over the competition selling puny DDIS / K9K engine.
madhu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 15:28   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post

My suggestion is - Instead come out with a different brand for current vehicles , and have TATA brand only for new development hi-tech premium vehicles
Good idea! Maybe keep the current utilitarian segment as Tata and create a semi luxury brand between them and JLR?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 16:39   #170
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

Good idea! Maybe keep the current utilitarian segment as Tata and create a semi luxury brand between them and JLR?
Tata actually own all rights to the Rover brand name and its Viking ship logo - they got it along with the purchase of Jaguar Land Rover.

If they want to create a new brand, then they might consider reintroducing Rover rather than bring in a completely new and unknown brand. Rover is a nice globally recognisable name and Rover did make some good cars when the company was doing well.

Tata also had a brief association with the brand when Rover imported a badge-engineered version of the Tata Indica V2 (with the 85PS 1.4 lit. petrol engine from the Indigo) from India and sold it as the CityRover in the UK. It flopped badly and Rover went into liquidation not long after that, but that's a different story altogether.

Last edited by RSR : 24th August 2013 at 16:41.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 14:47   #171
BHPian

i cant understand when they have designs such as Xenon tuff truck concept why done they put into actual products.

http://www.motoroids.com/news/austra...cept-revealed/

I just did a quick photoshop job on it. I think it has lot of potential.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-l-copy.jpg  

rascalangel is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 15:06   #172
BHPian

Well mate, your photoshop product does look smashing!
But i guess TATA wouldn't be interested in such things. They just want to make a million versions of the Indica and sell it in India!
midazolam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 15:32   #173
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Tata actually own all rights to the Rover brand name and its Viking ship logo - they got it along with the purchase of Jaguar Land Rover.

If they want to create a new brand, then they might consider reintroducing Rover rather than bring in a completely new and unknown brand. Rover is a nice globally recognisable name and Rover did make some good cars when the company was doing well.

Tata also had a brief association with the brand when Rover imported a badge-engineered version of the Tata Indica V2 (with the 85PS 1.4 lit. petrol engine from the Indigo) from India and sold it as the CityRover in the UK. It flopped badly and Rover went into liquidation not long after that, but that's a different story altogether.
Rover is a fine idea. Rover as a brand was in may ways similar to Tata towards the end of its life (for all the wrong reasons) but it did have a good period and Rover may just be able to pull it off when launched as a separate brand in India. As long as Tata does not dare touch Daimler and Lanchester (two legendary but dormant brands that they now own), I don't see anything wrong with establishing Rover dealerships in India, and using it to sell their more premium offerings like the next-gen Manza with a different name, (should be the cheapest car under this brand), the next-gen Aria with a different name (based on the next-gen defender platform), etc.

But Tata shouldn't repeat the stupidity of VW group and Renault-Nissan group by selling the same car under several names. Keep all the premium cars with Rover and the cheaper cars (like the Nano and the bread-and-butter cabbie friendly Indica) under Tata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
i cant understand when they have designs such as Xenon tuff truck concept why done they put into actual products.

http://www.motoroids.com/news/austra...cept-revealed/

I just did a quick photoshop job on it. I think it has lot of potential.
Awesome photoshop job! This looks better than the XUV500.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 18:04   #174
BHPian

Back again to give my feedback on next tata car:

Car1 should be small hatch - which most young turks/new car owners will buy
- The buying power has increased now. So, target the bachelors/spinsters with a uber cool car, a racey but frugal engine, stand out features & a flowing body (possibly add a tuned down engine too for a good FE for others who are thinking along these lines). Target this market as this is where volumes will be.
- Get a new shell (drop the indica shape). A Polo or Zen like shaped hatch with a zippy engine, alloys, sporty steering wheel, interior options can do wonders
- think smart - get into a mix & match option (like Vespa's scooters) to get two tone / multiple color combinations for interiors.
- Dump the petrol variant. take a bold step to offer only 1 or 2 trims but with combinations.

Car2 should be a sedan. Use the Aria platform (or trim it a bit) and get jaguar inspired shapes. Make it exclusive & royal! Back it up with special service.

Existing nano: Target it for the youth. College going will love to sport it and run some marketing campaigns to improve it further (in addition to the ad on tv).

PS: more or less the same recommendation from earlier
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 11:39   #175
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)

So today is the day meeting is gonna happen. If this gets postponed again, well I am gonna believe that the whole meeting thing was(is) a hoax.

Well, thats just me. Every other person can believe what they wanna believe.
limited-edition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 15:33   #176
BHPian

rascalangel, that concept looks absolutely fantastic. I so so wish Tata would have put that into a full blown model. Strict 5 seater, with a price range of 6-8 lakhs and you have true blue, LOF off roader!!!
rsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 17:48   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquared View Post
rascalangel, that concept looks absolutely fantastic. I so so wish Tata would have put that into a full blown model. Strict 5 seater, with a price range of 6-8 lakhs and you have true blue, LOF off roader!!!
+1 to that. Absolutely , don't know what is stoping Tata from doing that.
Price it in the range of 7-9.5 lakhs with necessary safety features (ABS , Airbags).
It is looking menacing .
I really wish Tata indeed comes up with this thing.
It has to retain the 2.2L Dicor engine though.
There is so much Tata can do with this design theme .
The platform is ready with them.
Common Tata .
It should be good enough for selling 1500-2000 units a month.
madhu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 01:15   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Agree with Vivek that watching more of competitor's cars in your own backyard would screw your morale but rather than burying your head in sand, it would have been better if Tata Motors go a step forward & try to find out that why even their employees are not preferring Tata cars. It's like a good sample for survey in their own organization.
Recently visited a Ford Plant in US. Inside the employee parking lot, there is a green line, that separates the non-ford vehicles and ford vehicles. Please take a look at the picture, non ford section is miniscule when compared to the large ford only section
Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-fordparking11.jpg
Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)-fordparking21.jpg
teamveevee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 10:12   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Recently visited a Ford Plant in US. Inside the employee parking lot, there is a green line, that separates the non-ford vehicles and ford vehicles. Please take a look at the picture, non ford section is miniscule when compared to the large ford only section
Can confirm. I had to work at Chrysler International in Arbun Hills, MI (near Detorit - the car capital of the US).

At the time I was working for a Big 4 accounting firm and Chrysler's International business unit was a client, as such I would fly in each week and rent a car at the airport- as it was a Hertz rental car, I would always get a Ford.

In the dead of the cold Michigan winter, they forced employees/contractors in non Chrysler vehicle to park in a lot about 2 miles away. We would park our cars, wait for a shuttle out in the freezing cold for about 15 to 20 minutes that would drive to the lot and take us to the headquarters.

I saw nothing wrong with that by the way, it makes sense especially in the car industry which has a high concentration of the of labor unions and the need to maintain the semblance of brand loyalty.

The stuff I saw in their underground testing grounds and pilot factory was something else. My keycard access gave me pretty much access to a ton of engineering areas which was kind of surprising. Needless to say I took long lunch strolls in those areas

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th August 2013 at 23:29. Reason: fixing the quote tag
NewYorkDesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 11:17   #180
BHPian

Please bring back the Tata Sierra, niggle free, high on quality. Place it shoulder to shoulder with EcoSports and Duster. Feast for Sierra fans.
throttleking is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote