Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th June 2013, 13:54   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hey everyone! I've been given a chance to personally meet the current MD of TATA MOTORS (Mr. Karl Slym) to generally discuss cars & suggest ideas about the next Tata car.
That's amazing GN. Would you mind sharing how this came up?
Since, you are meeting the man himself, do let him know of at least 4 things:

1. Improve TASS
2. Improve QC
3. Please change the models. Current facelifts given to the Indica/ Indigo etc. are not enough and in fact not going down well with the people. Some really major changes are the need of the hour.
4. Launch a complete new series of cars - A hatchback in the range of 3-5 lacs, a Sedan 5-8 L and a MUV, NOT based on the Indica platform/ name.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 14:07   #107

Quote:
Hey everyone! I've been given a chance to personally meet the current MD of TATA MOTORS (Mr. Karl Slym) to generally discuss cars & suggest ideas about the next Tata car.

The date & time hasn't yet been given to me, but I'm guessing its gonna be sometime at the end of this month.

Looking for suggestions as to what Tata Motors can do to improve their cars in future...

(Mods : Posted here thinking its the appropriate section, do shift if felt required, Rgds.)
Great!
Congrats.

The only suggestion I would give him is to utilise the designers of Tata design team, India. Bring some changes, roll some heads, give people a responsibility NOT just the authority and give responsible, hardworking people some authority.

Tata is like a Government organisation. That needs to change. The Tata people are nice in general but the overall structure has become lazy and monotonous.

Bring in new people who can change the 'working environment' even at the lowest level. Make employees feel good about themselves. That would eventually change everything.
jagpreetsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 14:21   #108
Senior - BHPian

1. Kill Indica
  2. Bring in Pixel between the Nano and Vista to fight with Altos, Eons and Beats of the world
  3. Vista is getting too long into the tooth; 5 years and not much changes (expect the Manza face); It is a robust car but too many niggling issues (unless they have been sorted with the D90)
  4. Develop a Mini SUV (or relaunch the sierra with better tooling from Xenon and launch it ASAP)
  5. Grande looks odd from various angles; If I overlook that and step in the car; it looks like a sumo from every angle. Someone who is paying twice the amount for a Grande over Sumo; needs better and different interiors.
  6. Strome - Good news for the enthusiasts. Please introduce ACC + Automatic too.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 15:00   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For Nano : To position the Nano as a Smart Car, amongst other updates, a Push Start/Stop button would be excellent.

Umbrella holder at the door console possible? Like the Skoda Superb.
I'm sorry, but I don't see the point of these features in a Nano or other Tata cars for that matter. As petty brand building exercises they might work, but I think we're looking at the bigger picture here, which is making better cars.

Quote:
High Quality Complimentary Merchandise.
Again, these are just small pointers that increase the appeal of the brand much later in the product life cycle, but has nothing to do with the car whatsoever. And I believe Tata has gone down this road before by introducing specialized Nano merchandise, but it's quite evident that it didn't stir up much of a storm as far as helping sales go.

The biggest problem with Tata as far as I see it is that they stay a million light years from the words ALL NEW and BOLDNESS. I mean, they still have products like the Indigo CS in their range, which is utter rubbish even when compared to Chinese cars, for God's sake. The Aria needs more thought, and the Safari, although a great car, even more glorified by impeccably made TV commercials is at the end of it's tether. The Strome is a ridiculous attempt to hide it's age and doesn't stand a chance in the current Indian automotive scenario.

If you have to manufacture cars, show a little respect, taste and compassion towards them, not just brandish your patriotic wand and expect a zillion loyal fans in the country to lap them up, because FYI those people have been long been lured by more capable Japanese and European manufactures. Not to mention our own player Mahindra.

What I think that they need is an all new, contemporary Indica/Manza range, and possibly a sub 4 meter SUV/Crossover built on that very platform. They should be benchmarking the very best in the business which include products like the Brio/Amaze and the Polo/Vento, instead of producing silly TV commercials which are downright misleading. The new Indica needs to be really, really appealing with bold styling elements and improved refinement all around.

I've been a Tata fan, and I know that they have vision. And a lot of potential to boot. They are not Force Motors, who, frankly manufacture automobiles just for survival's sake.Maybe a change in management bubbling with young and fresh ideas should do the trick and show them the road to build good, square automobiles.
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 17:25   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
- Too small for a practical hatch for 4 people
- No boot
The two points were supposed to be read together, as Saket has pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Agreed to the point, but here we are talking about cabin space. All other hatchbacks have a significant boot which eats up some space. There is no boot space in Nano and the cabin space is attained by cutting the boot space, which many people have not commented upon.
Quote:
Apart from that, go door to door providing test drives. That'll clear the doubts people have towards Nano.
Really? Wouldn't that look a little too desperate? Would you really buy a car from someone who is trying that hard to sell you a car?? I'd be skeptical.

Anyways, I think I've deviated a bit from the point of this thread, so let this nano-debate on the Nano come to an end, and let's all work towards making TATA the brand it is capable of becoming.

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 13th June 2013 at 17:26. Reason: Spelling
Geo_Ipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 18:16   #111
BHPian

Why don't Tata bring Nano with 2 door 4 seat option in cabriolet / convertible version costing 50 - 70 k more than LX price. Tata already is / was using open Nano in their plant (read on Team-BHP only).
I know driving or climate conditions in India are not suitable for convertibles. But no one in India yet come up with low cost convertible car Although MSIL just showcased Astar in auto expo. San motors failed to establish foot print in market. Currently cabriolets are available only in luxury segment in India.
It will be good option for weekend drives for small families. Even young crowd will prefer this option. If you remember Dil Chahta Hai movie showing Mercedes convertible, after movie release there used to be discussion among collage students about short weekend trips in convertible car.
Hope Tata will bring "reliable" Nano Cabriolet in Indian market IMO which may increase Nano sales figures by 10 - 15 %.

I am flying too High right!!!

Cheers!
sameervg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 20:30   #112
BHPian

Quote:

The date & time hasn't yet been given to me, but I'm guessing its gonna be sometime at the end of this month.

Looking for suggestions as to what Tata Motors can do to improve their cars in future...

(Mods : Posted here thinking its the appropriate section, do shift if felt required, Rgds.)

Hope you make the BEST use of this opportunity.

Here is what I have created and sent to them in the past.

Name:  Tata Motors  Models of the future.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  106.6 KB

Name:  Tata Motors  Models of the future 2.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  159.7 KB

Tata Motors - Models of the future.docx

Tata Motors - Models of the future 2.docx

Letter to Tata Motors - April 2013 update.docx
Dr.Suraj is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 22:28   #113
BHPian

1. Design: They need to make good looking cars . They can learn from what Kia Motors did in USA. Once ignored by all, now Kia cars are really lookers are people are buying it for that. Under the hood things comes second for a common man, but most of the people buy what they see.
2. Quality : Mentioned by many BHPians here, to sustain good sales figures – good design alone will not help.
Superleggera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 22:42   #114
BHPian

Please ask where this prima concept gone..We got the Indigo instead..
Attached Images

KALINGA is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 00:35   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The other points raised may be valid, or at best debatable - but it is obvious from the above statement that the writer has never been in a Nano.

And THAT is the Nano's biggest problem - too many people talking authoritatively about it without having experienced it first hand.
A close friend's father once saw me drive to his house and since it was small wanted to drive it. I handed him the keys and he came back about 10 minutes later, got out of the car and said something I thought sounded like "Why would people buy a Nano when they have such a nice car as this?"

I asked him if he liked it and he said he was impressed and repeated the comment. I took him around and showed him the name at the back and he was shocked!
discoverwild is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 23:19   #116
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
1. A small SUV - Similar to Jeep Wrangler. Can we call it Sierra?
2. A car similar to Tata Pixel based on Nano, but upmarket with all nice features.
3. A car based small panel van.
4. A website and tools to design custom graphics/wrap arounds for Nano. Nano should have AT and Power Steering.

Also i would like to request TM to provide purchase schemes for employees and families of Tata motors. I would like every Tata Employee and their family to own a car made by them. Most of the cars coming out from the plant after shift are Maruti's. All employees should be proud of the cars they make.

Wow what an effect teamveevee.

Tata Motors to allow only its brand vehicles to be parked inside the company

Source http://articles.economictimes.indiat...lot-ford-india

(Sorry I could not stop myself as it came out yesterday and no one posted)
ritz3645 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 02:18   #117
Senior - BHPian

Nano Diesel AT, there are lot of people who need a AT vehicle at low cost.

Change the dashboard of nano to a conventional one, let the rear hatch open.

Indica should not be sold to private owners any more, sell it under commercial vehicles showrooms.

Get a New body for indigo ecs, it has lot of potential.

Scrap SUMO and get grande replace it.
Storme , well it has missed the bus, its too late now.
silverado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 08:28   #118
ARG
BHPian

I'm not sure (publicly) trying to coerce your employees to buy your cars, especially if "Most of the cars coming out from the plant after shift(-hours) are Marutis" (@teamveevee), is the first thing you do, to "...infuse confidence in the brand..."

I guess, TATA top honchos, visiting a TATA Motors plant, will now have to leave even their Jaguars/LandRovers (assuming they can't take their Bimmer/Merc/Maser to Office) in the public parking lot, now. :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Wow what an effect teamveevee.

Tata Motors to allow only its brand vehicles to be parked inside the company

Source http://articles.economictimes.indiat...lot-ford-india

(Sorry I could not stop myself as it came out yesterday and no one posted)

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th July 2013 at 01:16. Reason: Removed 'Not' as requested, thanks
ARG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 10:19   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARG View Post
.... I guess, TATA top honchos, visiting a TATA Motors plant, will now have to leave even their Jaguars/LandRovers (assuming they can't take their Bimmer/Merc/Maser to Office) in the public parking lot, now. :|
AFAIK, Cyrus Mistry uses a Manza, http://articles.economictimes.indiat...-of-tata-group

The workers can probably park their cars outside. Is it too much to ask your employees to trust the brand they work for? Couldn't be much of a hassle. Anyway.
GrammarNazi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 10:54   #120

Default Nano Europa Electric

Hi,
I've always wanted to reach out to Tata Motors and team with my ideas and suggestions. I don't know if this will have any impact, but this is my try anyways. I own a 2K9 Vista and have driven it for 3 years/35K kms before coming abroad for my education. I've had first hand experiences with T.A.S.S. They were not as bad to begin with, but there is scope for improvement.

Looking at the current Indian automotive scene from afar, I'm not surprised at the fact that Tata is not doing well. Don't get me wrong, they have some very good and value for money cars, but they are not desirable. Tata is not really an aspirational brand in any sense, thanks to the Tata Indica, V2 and the Indicab. One of the worst car's I've ever driven is probably the Tata Indica. I only bought the Vista because of the known reliability of the Multijet/Quadrajet and of course after a couple of test drives. It turned out to be a really good and reliable highway cruiser. This is one of the strongest points of Tata's cars. Supreme comfort and highway cruising capabilities. I think they should hold on to those qualities.

Tata's are losing their ground because they have nothing new to offer. Much beautiful and reliable cars are now available at the same price points at which Tata cars are offered. Tata's should really try to create a niche segment of cars.
1)Tata Nano, Dolphin?, Vista electric
It would be interesting to see Tata come out with a people's car which is either completely electric/hybrid. This car should be affordable too. Tata's can take a lesson or two from Tesla Motors in the U.S
2)Mini-suv
A completely new and please, a good looking or macho mini-suv based on the Aria or Vista/Manza platform.
3)Quality and good looking interiors.
Tata cars have awful interiors. Please remember, customers are willing to pay an extra grand for quality and reliability.

I could have written pages in suggestions but unfortunately am short of time. I hope this goes through to Mr. Slym.

Thanks,
Sree.
sreepy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote