Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th July 2013, 14:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHP scoops 2014 Tata Indica Vista Facelift

I don't think its a major platform change or all-new Vista. If the engine & mehcanicals are largely untouched or only enhanced, its just another nip-n-tuck job.

The front looks smart though and i hope they make the rear look just as smart. If its anything like the current one, its way to bulbous.

On a different note, Indica/Indigo always held one unwavering trump card - SPACE! If there is a reason why they sell in spite of all the negativity around the Tata Motors brand, its this. I hope they retain this USP in the new cars.
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 21:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I dont care if it has a 90hp version or not.

A facelift in a Vista is like doing a plastic surgery to a person to a person who in coma for years. It would be better to pull the plug.

It is high time they move out of the Indica zone and try something new. Like the Aria. Working on the ARIA would be commendable. Increasing the Value proposition, introduction a lower end variant or may be designing a SUV from the platform would be money well spent.

But Indica facelift. I am not not interested.
Well, Ford can keep doing facelifts and even rename their Fiesta to a Classic, Maruti Ertiga Feliz, the Ritz abuzz, the Zen Estilo whatever... they are all of the same class !

Pl read the TATA factory thread, you will appreciate the kind of effort reqd for a "new" model. That said, most manufacturers pull on with models till they are no longer viable maybe financially. Maruti 800 and other models before pulling the plug are shining examples !

The CR4 engine is indeed a gem ! My Indigo eCS has clocked over 2-K kms and is just as refined and smooth as it was on day one. Why not use this engine ? If Toyota can plonk their CRDI version of their 2.5 L Qualis engine ain the Innova, why cannot TATA do the same ? This is technology that one has mastered, not just borrowed on royalty .. for which we will depend on spares for life ! (The FIAT Multijet is also on similar lines, one day we will have R & D deptts of TATA, Maruti, Ford , GM, etc have their own designs / assemblies to circumvent royalty clauses).

MORAL : The commercial logic is the same, be it TATA or any other "phoren" brand.
lifebuoy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 13:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Default Team-BHP scoops the uncamouflaged 2014 Tata Indica Vista Facelift

Link to News Section

Tata Motors is working on a revamped Indica Vista hatchback, said to be due for a 2014 Auto Expo unveil. The hatchback, as detailed in previous Team-BHP scoops here and here, will be an evolutionary version of the current model. In that light, the 2014 Vista will be based on the same platform that the current version is underpinned by.

Name:  2014 Tata Indica Vista Hatchback Facelift.jpg
Views: 5758
Size:  25.1 KB

However, the car will feature changes mainly in terms of its exterior design. These design changes will eventually reflect on other Tata cars including the diesel variant of the Nano. In that sense, the 2014 Vista will be the first Tata car to get a bolder design philosophy, which is different from the curvier and smiley designs of current Tata cars.

The design of the 2014 Vista will derive inspiration from the Tata Manza Hybrid concept showcased at the 2012 Indian Auto Expo. So, the current car's curves will be ditched for sharper lines and the un-camouflaged image of the 2014 Vista indicates the same. The styling changes will happen at the front and the rear of the car, with the overall profile being carried over without any changes.

Both petrol and turbo diesel engines of the current Vista, including the motors borrowed from Fiat, are expected to carry on unchanged in the 2014 model. The current version of the Vista is available with a range of petrol and turbo diesel engine options. Petrol engine options range from 1.2 liter to 1.4 liters while the turbo diesel engines come with 1.3 liter and 1.4 liter capacities.

Tata Motors offers the diesel powered Vista with the Fiat Multijet turbo diesel engine in two states of tune, 75 Bhp-190 Nm and 90 Bhp-200 Nm. The five speed manual gearboxes will also be retained, with the addition of an automatic gearbox not in the scheme of things.

The new Vista is expected to showcase the screw tightening measures that Tata Motors has claimed to have undertaken in its sourcing and production processes. These measures are expected to result in cars that are relatively niggle free across the ownership duration, quite unlike the current situation of Tata cars being prone to regular niggles after about a year of purchase.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 23rd August 2013 at 13:19. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 14:15   #34
BHPian

Last week, I saw a fully camouflaged new Tata Indica Vista near our apartment. The new Vista looks like a well proportioned car. Somehow I felt the car has been lowered compared to the existing model.
MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 14:18   #35
BHPian

The ORVMs still look the same.
Being a current MANZA owner (same ORVMs as the VISTA) i hate the cheapish looking ORVMs. They could have easily changed the design to some thing more elegant to look at ORVMs (VW polo types).
The facelift rendered by teambhp was so much better and how i wish the actual facelift was more like that.
Still the facelift is looking quite good & refreshing from the front at least.
Is it just me or does it now look like a HONDA JAZZ from the front?
madhu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 14:22   #36
BHPian

Good attempt. And looks decent - almost "Peugeot-ish" , I must say.

The VISTA has always been one of the most under-rated hatchbacks in our market compared to some of its mediocre competitors from Korea, Japan and Europe, who manage to outsell the VISTA because they come from a better "brand"!

With the revamp, let us hope Tata Motors also addresses Tata owner's main grouse, that is the attitude of their dealerships towards their customers in terms of sales as well as service.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 14:36   #37
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHP scoops the uncamouflaged 2014 Tata Indica Vista Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Link to News Section

Tata Motors is working on a revamped Indica Vista hatchback, said to be due for a 2014 Auto Expo unveil. The hatchback, as detailed in previous Team-BHP scoops here and here, will be an evolutionary version of the current model. In that light, the 2014 Vista will be based on the same platform that the current version is underpinned by.

However, the car will feature changes mainly in terms of its exterior design.
Is this the final look of the facelifted car, JayPrashanth? If yes, then man, this is such a disappointment indeed Instead of really moving forward with their design language, they have merely flattered to deceive. The Team-Bhp rendering's sharper lines definitely looks better than this!

Tata really, I mean really need to get over with their fixation with the original Indica's design elements of smiling grille and Christmas tree tail lamps. They looked very good on the original Indica one-and-a-half decades ago, because it was a cohesive Italian job (done by IDEA). Each successive product that carried the same elements looked less and less appealing to the point where one is no longer able to digest the same old looks.

Yes, sheet metal changes are indeed expensive and laborious, but when a few of those are put together and executed well, it instantly transforms the looks of the car. Just compare the facelifted Micra to the earlier one for an example.

Tata are surely more capable than this lacklustre, half-hearted effort.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 16:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Another round design.
I do not understand why Tata keeps lemons (pun intended) in mind while designing cars. They really, really need to move away from this design now. In 2018, it will be two decades of this round design Tata has been carrying forward for the Indica brand.

Why cannot they use JLRs design prowess for the upcoming vehicles? Does this sound too much from a consumer point of view?
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 17:23   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post

Why cannot they use JLRs design prowess for the upcoming vehicles? Does this sound too much from a consumer point of view?
Because, unlike ford (that owned JLR earlier) Tata motors presumably have a policy of not interfereing with JLR. You could understand how the ford owned JLR was slowly but surely becoming a ford. I personally appreciate this good policy.
sreejith.pish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 18:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

Except for the front every thing else looks same as the current Vista. I hope they have changed things at the backside too. The roundish design from the C pillar needs to go along with the existing tail lamps. Making it look a little like the Punto from the back wouldn't be a good idea, IMO.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 18:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejith.pish View Post
I personally appreciate this good policy.
I agree with the not interfering part, but why not take some cues for a better design. All of Tata cars have looked almost the same for a very long time. While the Vista was a better product than the V2, it still looked almost the same. For me, I would never even visit a Tata showroom for a hatchback, unless I wanted to use it for commercial purpose. I know a few more people who relate to the Indica brand more as a cab than a personal vehicle.

My opinion is subjective, some might find the Indica attractive; which is perfectly fine. But a design which we saw almost 2 decades ago and is not managing to sell right now, does it make sense to keep pushing the product and its luck forward? I don't think so.
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 19:34   #42
BHPian

If this indeed is the refreshed/face-lifted version, TATA has not done enough then. It looks exactly the same to the current generation model except for a Honda Jazz type front grill.
Did anyone else notice any other changes?
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 23:57   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
but why not take some cues for a better design......
I know a few more people who relate to the Indica brand more as a cab than a personal vehicle.
I remember the tata prima concept that looked a bit like the jaguar. Actually the styling is done by a team. Even though design cues can be taken from the Jaguar or the Landrover, It is easyly said than done. Although what could be done, is to train the young TATA stylists at JLR, which i guess they would have already started and the results would be seen in may be another 6 year's time.

Regarding the Indica brand, right when Vista was launched in 2008, it was a new platform, had more features and was intended for personal segment. However Tatas surpriced me by branding it as Indica Vista.
If we could recollect, when the Scorpio was launched by Mahindra, apart from 2 tiny (new) mahindra logos in the front grill and the rear door, vehicle was branded as Scorpio and not "Mahindra Scorpio", which helped M&M to an image make-over. Tata's should try something similar.
sreejith.pish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 00:07   #44
BHPian

I am a proud owner of a Vista and this is not what I as a fan and as a consumer would like to see as the next Vista design. All I see is a new grille and a new bumper on a (still) very rounded snout. If this is what they've been working on all this while, then wow, it should be quite a tension free job to work at their design department. Any vaccanies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Did anyone else notice any other changes?
I think this is it, the revamp that has been talked about for so long. The latest picture shows that most of the following changes, that were publicized earlier, are present but not in quite the form we would've liked it to be. Team-Bhp's Antler Road did an amazing job. That rendition is what would've really made an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
  • Redesigned front grille
  • New front bumper
  • New Headlamps with a more pronounced flaring
  • Turn indicators move back to the conventional position above the front wheel arches (Currently, the Vista has turn indicators positioned on the A-Pillar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejith.pish View Post
Because, unlike ford (that owned JLR earlier) Tata motors presumably have a policy of not interfereing with JLR. You could understand how the ford owned JLR was slowly but surely becoming a ford. I personally appreciate this good policy.
My friend, let them not interfere with JLR. Agreed! But let them just ask JLR for inputs and insights on how to design sharper looking cars. Asking someone for help and interfering in their business are two different things. Isn't it?
Miel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 04:35   #45
BHPian

This facelift wont be the game changer for the Vista. Front can be tinkered effectively. Its the real which poses a bigger problem. The christmas tree lamps aint going anywhere, carrying forward the legacy of the Indica(b).

My wishlist!

It needs to be re profiled with something similar like this. (Got this image from some another Vista thread)

Take shape cues from the Aria for a squarer rear window and lights that begin from the base of the rear windshield.

Replace the curvy headlamps with one with square edges. Projectors can be shared with Aria/Storme. wont cost much i hope (The car is already quite VFM)

Vista sport bumpers are awesome! Lift them directly off

Few quality bits like good quallity plastics, ICE, and other knick knacks car really help in turning around the whole game!

Will post other suggestions as i get more
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP scoops 2014 Tata Indica Vista Facelift-axpshakedowngeneral07.jpg  

Na_sh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote